Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Red light traffic camera
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I love the comments after that article. People justifying rolling through the right on red and claiming the speed limit there is 35mph. Scary, dangerous drivers around here. Idiots really.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ght_cameras_in_jerse.html

So 60 days => 3,100 tickets
52 tickets/days
2.15 on average per hour

Not a lot ...

Posted on: 2011/12/2 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
There is a camera on Brunswick and 7th FYI. Which is good cause people fly down there on the way to the tunnel in the morning.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
We should make sure the intersections with the new red light cameras have a sufficient yellow light time period to allow a reasonable chance to stop. 3 secs should be the absolute minimum.

See:

http://www.shortyellowlights.com/

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Infractions at red lights are evidence of engineering flaws in the traffic design that should be corrected, not monetized

Anyone who thinks that people who run red lights do so only because of traffic design is a engineering consultant who gets paid to design traffic light patterns. CLearly this guy has never been to JC.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You would be absolutely right about the severity of accidents, except for the part where the statistical data suggests that you are wrong.

ian u R too funny did you run a FARS query or do you just know Everything?

I did 10 mins of looking to find out: old school rule of thumb for accidents is 55% frontal/offset, 25% side and 20% rear. but 25% of fatalities occur in side impact crashes. well over half of the fatalities are single cars on roads posted 55+mph.

getting rear ended is much less injurious, for years cars have been improved to protect head-on crashes. and the forces involved are lower - remember algebra, " a 15 mph car rear ends a car going 5 mph?" side impacts, well, ever seen a quarterback lose his blind side tackle and get creamed? hurts more than what the linemen are doing every down I bet.

more: 40% of urban crashes involve either a car running a sign/signal and hitting another, or a car stopping for same and being rear ended. IIHS research indicates that red light camera enforcement generally reduces violations by 40-50 percent and injury crashes by 25-30 percent.

most of this data is supported with refs but you don't need an MBA/MPA to understand what we were supposed to learn in driver's ed.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's new red-light cameras expected to net $7M annually

Monday, November 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Red light cameras have been installed at the intersection of Jersey Avenue and 18th Street in Jersey City.

JERSEY CITY ? Jersey City has quietly installed a new set of cameras at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street that will catch motorists blowing through red lights, part of an initiative officials hope will net the city $7 million annually.

The latest cameras were installed in September and activated in October.

The city installed its first set of cameras in March at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard. Those cameras are responsible for about 1,300 moving-violation tickets a month, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

Nine more intersections have been approved for the cameras, which will be installed in coming months, Morrill said.

Motorists who spoke to The Jersey Journal at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street had mixed or negative feelings about the cameras. Ian Bishop, 42, of Jersey City, said he doesn?t mind as long as they are strictly for safety reasons.

?But if it?s a way to make money for the city, I?m completely opposed to it,? Bishop said.

Dave Dittmar, 45, of Jersey City, is absolutely against the initiative. Dittmar, a glazier, drives ?constantly? in the area in a company truck, and worries he may get a ticket when a co-worker may have been at the wheel.
?Basically, legal extortion,? he said of the cameras. ?It?s just a way to bag you.?

A 2005 study by the Federal Highway Administration found that rear-end crashes increased 15 percent after red-light cameras were installed, while front-to-side crashes decreased 25 percent.

But Chad Dornsife, executive director of Best Highway Safety Practices Institute, a Portland-based nonprofit group, said any reported decrease in accidents is just a ?red herring.? Infractions at red lights are evidence of engineering flaws in the traffic design that should be corrected, not monetized, Dornsife said.

Adding a half-second or one second to the duration of a yellow light is a better way to correct the problem, he said.

?Eighty percent of the citations would disappear in day one,? said Dornsife.

The cameras at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard are expected to bring in $500,000 by the end of the year, with portions of the revenue given to the county and the state, according to Morrill.

Though the cameras will prove to be a financial boon for the city, she said that is not their chief purpose.
?The primary reason for implementing this program is safety,? Morrill said.

The state approved the 11 intersections based on data regarding the number of motorists ticketed for speeding through red lights, she added.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Wait hold on so you're saying to not wait in the intersection to make a turn because of oncoming traffic so you can make the turn before the light turns? Because its considered acceptable driving in NJ and is encouraged in the manual.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
T-bone accidents are often fatal. Rear enders, rarely so. Maybe the best course is to lengthen yellow lights and keep the cameras. That way people can stop bitching that the short yellow made go through the red! The people who intentionally hit the gas when they see yellow will just have to lump it.

I agree 100%.

+2. The culture of running the red long after the its changed has gotten completely out of control. Some places they will simply keep going indefinitely since they have traffic blocked. There's some left turn signals where you never get to go since it's entirely eaten by the light runners. The left turn from Patterson Plank into Home Depot is particularly terrifying since semis will run the light turning right onto PPR after you get a green and are in motion.

And that 18th & Jersey intersection was a great choice, I only hope they're getting the gridlockers too. How hard is it to wait until there's room on the other side?

Posted on: 2011/11/22 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Let's get some of the cameras near the Holland Tunnel...then the City could really balance the budget!

Posted on: 2011/11/21 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
No, the sad truth is no matter what you do the bad drivers will always find a way to f**k up and they will always lean on some lame excuse.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
You would be absolutely right about the severity of accidents, except for the part where the statistical data suggests that you are wrong.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
T-bone accidents are often fatal. Rear enders, rarely so. Maybe the best course is to lengthen yellow lights and keep the cameras. That way people can stop bitching that the short yellow made go through the red! The people who intentionally hit the gas when they see yellow will just have to lump it.

I agree 100%.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/11/21 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This may sound gay, not that there's anything wrong with that, but what's worse, being rear-ended or T-boned?

Posted on: 2011/11/21 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
You left out the part where you stopped short so you would not go through the yellow either. I guess your avatar matches your philosophy.

You should never be going so fast that you have to screech to a halt. Also, you should always be aware of all drivers around you, front, back and sides. There are many feeble drivers who cannot process that much information and drive safely and so we have defensive driving. I am driving 30+ years and have never been in an accident nor have I caused one.

It wasn't a matter of driving fast just coming to a halting stop so not to go through the yellow thus avoiding the red. It is this camera thing that will over-power all around us.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder how much of the added revenue will be consumed by emergency response to the increase in accidents.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Exactly, I always come to a complete stop and wait an extra long amount of time just in case. The people behind me who are honking their horns can eat me.

You left out the part where you stopped short so you would not go through the yellow either. I guess your avatar matches your philosophy.

You should never be going so fast that you have to screech to a halt. Also, you should always be aware of all drivers around you, front, back and sides. There are many feeble drivers who cannot process that much information and drive safely and so we have defensive driving. The worst kind of drivers are those that think they can text, speed, tail-gate and jump lights and Stop-signs. I call them "Rainmen" and they always seem to end up in an accident. I am driving 30+ years and have never been in an accident nor have I caused one.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Exactly, I always come to a complete stop and wait an extra long amount of time just in case. The people behind me who are honking their horns can eat me.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
If you make a right turn from Jersey Ave onto 18th Street when the light is red and you do not come to a complete stop, YOU WILL GET A TICKET!! I know because I got one! They also send you a link to a video so you can actually watch yourself. The guy behind me did the same thing, I wonder if he received a ticket.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
If you make a right turn from Jersey Ave onto 18th Street when the light is red and you do not come to a complete stop, YOU WILL GET A TICKET!! I know because I got one! They also send you a link to a video so you can actually watch yourself. The guy behind me did the same thing, I wonder if he received a ticket.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately folks are dumb where I come from and deserve a ticket

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/11/20 21:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City expects to rake in $7 million a year from red light cameras

Sunday, November 20, 2011, 1:39 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

One of the red light cameras installed at the intersection of Jersey Avenue and Eighteenth Street in Jersey City.

The City of Jersey City in September quietly installed cameras at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street that will catch motorists blowing through red lights, part of an initiative officials hope will net the city $7 million annually.

The cameras were activated in October. In March, the city installed the first set of cameras at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard, and those cameras are responsible for about 1,300 moving-violation tickets a month, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

Nine more intersections have been approved for the cameras, which will be installed in upcoming months, Morrill said.

Motorists who spoke to The Jersey Journal at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street had mixed or negative feelings about the cameras. Ian Bishop, 42, of Jersey City, said he doesn't mind as long as they are strictly for safety reasons.

"But if it's a way to make money for the city, I'm completely opposed to it," Bishop said.

Dave Dittmar, 45, of Jersey City, is absolutely against the initiative. Dittmar, a glazier, drives "constantly" in the area in a company truck, and worries he may get a ticket when a co-worker may have been at the wheel.

"Basically, legal extortion," he said of the cameras. "It's just a way to bag you."
A 2005 study by the Federal Highway Administration found that rear-end crashes increased 15 percent after red-light cameras were installed, while front-to-side crashes decreased 25 percent.

Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal
Dave Dittmar, of Jersey City, says the new red light cameras are "legal extortion."

But Chad Dornsife, executive director of Best Highway Safety Practices Institute, a Portland-based nonprofit, said any reported decrease in accidents is just a "red herring." Infractions at red lights are evidence of engineering flaws in the traffic design that should be corrected, not monetized, Dornsife said.

Adding a half-second or one second to the duration of a yellow light is a better way to correct the problem, he said.

"Eighty percent of the citations would disappear in day one," said Dornsife.
The cameras at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard are expected to bring in $500,000 by the end of the year, with portions of the revenue given to the county and the state, according to Morrill.

Though the cameras will prove to be a financial boon for the city, she said that is not their chief purpose.

"The primary reason for implementing this program is safety," Morrill said.

The state approved the 11 intersections based on data regarding the number of motorists ticketed for speeding through red lights, she added.

The other intesections slated to include red-light cameras are: Columbus Drive and Jersey Avenue; Meseles and Montgomery streets; Routes 1&9/Route 440/Communipaw Avenue; Routes 1&9 and Newark Avenue; Routes 1&9 and Sip Avenue; Route 139 and Kennedy Boulevard; Kennedy Boulevard and Duncan Avenue; Kennedy Boulevard and Montgomery Street; Tonnelle and Newark avenues.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
There's a simple way not to get stuck in an intersection when the light turns.... Don't enter until the other side is clear!

Posted on: 2011/10/29 18:21

Re: Traffic camera on 18th and Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I generally support these traffic cameras. However, I think there should be full transparency as to why they are present. They should not be used by the City simply as a revenue-generating tool.

I think that for every zone where these enforcement cameras exist, there needs to be:
1. A clear and visible sign to drivers that the cameras exist in the area.
2. The sign states the rules that are being enforced using the cameras. What a driver can and can't do. (Can I make a right turn on red after coming to a full stop, can I make a left on red if caught in the junction, etc?)

Posted on: 2011/10/29 6:38

Re: Traffic camera on 18th and Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cilento wrote:
A flash goes off when you get stuck in the intersection at 18th and Jersey.

I have experienced it a couple of times, but I haven't received a ticket.

Anyone here ever get a ticket from that camera?

Generally if you get stuck at that intersection, you are one of those inconsiderate drivers who feel it's ok to block the junction to cross traffic. If that's the case, I hope you receive a lot of fines in the mail.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 6:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 8:04
Group:
Registered Users
There is also a camera @Kennedy Boulevard & Communipaw Ave.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
In LI, one of these camera light is causing an uptick in rear enders..

Posted on: 2011/10/28 20:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Unfortunately, the most horrifying traffic bad that I've seen much of recently cams can't help: a car stops for crossing pedestrians and and the driver behind simply swerves around at full speed. I've seen this a number of times on Grove, typically at 8th.

I take a kid to school from the Heights to West Side (on Broadway) every school day. I stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk and frequently (1-2x week) a car will swerve and pass me on the right. During the "prime time" of kids walking to school no less!
The rudeness and lack of common sense of the d-bags is so unbelievable. I really believe the city could pay for at least one traffic cop with the proceeds from writing tickets in my 2 mile route alone.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
From what I have seen the camera has calmed traffic a bit at 18th and Jersey. There are still d-bags who honk when I stop before I make the right but they can eat me. The people who make the right onto 18th from Coles without signaling should be dragged from their cars and beaten. The death of the directional light is the ultimate symbol of the dumbing down of drivers.

A notable day, I agree with V 100%!

Unfortunately, the most horrifying traffic bad that I've seen much of recently cams can't help: a car stops for crossing pedestrians and and the driver behind simply swerves around at full speed. I've seen this a number of times on Grove, typically at 8th.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 16:28

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017