Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Advice for selling condo, escaping the Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
you could move closer to Congress, and then just an elevator ride from Hoboken and a bus ride to Manhattan

Posted on: 2011/10/21 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
It seemed like a good idea at the time? Actually, I had spent 6 months looking at apartments in Upper Manhattan, the far reaches of Brooklyn (where one would expect, on my budget...) mostly studios, tiny 1 BRs, wrecks, etc. When my broker showed my my place in the Heights it felt perfect! Also I have a friend who lives around the corner, and a co-worker who grew up on Ogden who said good things about it and it was doable without a car.
I could get used to the cultural/shopping isolation, knowing NYC was close by and accessible, but now...
Now then - supposing things don't change, come up, what have you. Where do I start? Call a realtor? Wait for the re-val? Appraisal?

You should have looked further north and west in the Heights. West of Pershing Field Park to Kennedy is a nice quiet section. The Western Slope although on a hill, away from public transportation, and many stores it provides a barrier from the daily noise of an urban enviroment. And I ride my bicycle more than half the time to get around J.C. mainly Downtown and within the Heights section or to get to the PATH stations.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 15:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
I've lived in the Heights for a little over 3 years, and am increasingly discouraged (the end of 10/99S service from NYC being the final straw) with inaccesibility, dirty streets, boarded up buildings, and what seems to be an increasing influx of really low-class 'elements'. I would love to try to move downtown JC or Hoboken, but I'm a first time homeowner and am not sure how to approach selling my condo in Heights. How do I realistically assess what its worth, how to market it, etc.?

Or does renting it make more sense? I LOVE the place - a small loft with high ceilings, quiet, lots of light, but no true BR - sadly a bad match for the typical Heights demographic.

Ideas or suggestions?

What made you move to JC heights in the first place?

It seemed like a good idea at the time? Actually, I had spent 6 months looking at apartments in Upper Manhattan, the far reaches of Brooklyn (where one would expect, on my budget...) mostly studios, tiny 1 BRs, wrecks, etc. When my broker showed my my place in the Heights it felt perfect! Also I have a friend who lives around the corner, and a co-worker who grew up on Ogden who said good things about it and it was doable without a car.

I could get used to the cultural/shopping isolation, knowing NYC was close by and accessible, but now...

Now then - supposing things don't change, come up, what have you. Where do I start? Call a realtor? Wait for the re-val? Appraisal?

Posted on: 2011/10/21 15:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/8 19:06
Group:
Registered Users
I just moved to the Heights from Manhattan, and am totally sticking around. My friends and I always joke that my are is "up and up and up and up and coming" - it just takes a while.

There are corporate lawyers and a meth head living on the same street. How fun is that?

Posted on: 2011/10/21 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. Downtown is smaller and less traveled. The Heights is more family oriented. I like living up here granted been here my whole life so I am used to it. If Downtown really appeals to you then jump on it. You can't be happy till you're settled in,

Posted on: 2011/10/21 3:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
I've lived in the Heights for a little over 3 years, and am increasingly discouraged (the end of 10/99S service from NYC being the final straw) with inaccesibility, dirty streets, boarded up buildings, and what seems to be an increasing influx of really low-class 'elements'.

Heights ain't called the Blights for nothin'........

Posted on: 2011/10/21 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheCoach wrote:
I've lived in the heights for 4 years and counting.

So then you of all people should be sympathetic.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 2:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 18:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the heights for 4 years and counting.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheCoach wrote:
Stick it out. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. See what you can do to change some of the things you don't like. Downtown JC wasn't always what it is today and neither was Hoboken. People moved in, stayed and improved it.

It's easy to say that when your not living it.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
I've lived in the Heights for a little over 3 years, and am increasingly discouraged (the end of 10/99S service from NYC being the final straw) with inaccesibility, dirty streets, boarded up buildings, and what seems to be an increasing influx of really low-class 'elements'. I would love to try to move downtown JC or Hoboken, but I'm a first time homeowner and am not sure how to approach selling my condo in Heights. How do I realistically assess what its worth, how to market it, etc.?

Or does renting it make more sense? I LOVE the place - a small loft with high ceilings, quiet, lots of light, but no true BR - sadly a bad match for the typical Heights demographic.

Ideas or suggestions?

What made you move to JC heights in the first place?

Posted on: 2011/10/21 2:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 18:48
Group:
Registered Users
Stick it out. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. See what you can do to change some of the things you don't like. Downtown JC wasn't always what it is today and neither was Hoboken. People moved in, stayed and improved it.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 1:47

Advice for selling condo, escaping the Heights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned

Ideas or suggestions?

Posted on: 2011/10/20 22:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017