Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Homeless in Van Vorst Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
At least being self-righteous and applying zero empathy for the homeless is alive and well in the Hamilton / VV Parks area.

These souls have no money, no prospects, don't want to be a victim of crime or out in the open exposed to the elements. Most likely they suffer from a mental health issue or addiction and the governments don't have any programs for those that slip through the cracks of welfare.

Instead of having an online lynching party, the discussion should be on what can this community can do for these people and how can we lobby government and private enterpizes to come to their aid.

If we can spend billions on war and propping up foreign governments, we should be able to provide support for a small minority called the homeless.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 1:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
You are seriously delusional. They will be held overnight in a cell, released the next day...

They will be shooed away and will find another place to sleep.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 1:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 8:04
Group:
Registered Users
Could be Vietnam War, Iraq War or Afghan War vets. Thank you for your service. Sorry for the PTSD. You can stay medicated. But stay out of Van Vorst Park!

Posted on: 2011/10/21 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Johnson! I wanted to point out that exact same thing that the police can only do two things really... which is either make an arrest or let them go. But as you can see this post is going all over the place. :)

Posted on: 2011/10/21 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure any of you are really familiar with the Jersey City Police Department. First of all, you are lucky if they even come. Second of all, the comment about "so they can be evaluated and given the help they need" is about as ridiculous as I've ever heard. Do you really think that the cops are going to come and arrest these people, then "evaluate" them and point them in the right direction? You are seriously delusional. They will be held overnight in a cell, released the next day... and it will go on and on and on...

I also love how it went from homeless people sleeping in the gazebo to people shooting heroin, screaming, accosting people, and who knows what else.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree this issue is much bigger than one person to solve. But let's be clear. When i saw all those people around the church. I did not do the following:

Worried or even thought for a second that they were making the fancy Back Bay Area not as attractive.

Check to see if the property rates had gone down.

Call the authorities to remove these sub human beings immediately.

Encourage others to call the authorities and complain about these so called "things". I am sorry but just because they might make us feel uneasy or they are doing things we disapprove of is not good enough. If they are doing something that would harm themselves or the the public then yes please call the police.

Some have hinted that they maybe drinking or doing drugs. I see people all the time in NYC out in public drunk or high...but we accept that as normal behavior...i guess because those folks are dressed better and have homes.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 23:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/20 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Walking through Van Vorst Park every morning on my way to work and was waiting for this type of thread. Since I am not allowed to use profanity, I ll refrain, although I'm dying to meet the author of this thread and find out what personal issues they might have with poverty in the middle of a recession and the fact that more and more people are going to lose their homes as a result. Living next to a Metropolis, chances are you ll get some of these human beings that might not live off of a trustfund, can't pay for housing, are too old to find a new job or whatever personal disaster might have struck. I want them to find your back yard, dear author, and releave themselves over and over again, because you surely deserve it.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Yea lets get rid of those THINGS that make that park so unattractive! Our dogs can only be walked around in gold-plated settings.

I understand people's concerns but where is the compassion? The majority of these individuals probably have several issues but are for the most part harmless. Now if they really are doing something that might harm themselves or others then please do call the authorities.

It's easy to make ourselves believe that we can get them to the social services they need. Have most of you forgotten what the country is going through? Do you really think that the so called safety net can even provide them with what they need? Social services are stretched, or drastically cut or non-existent....and that would be a fair way to describe them before the economic down fall.

I was in Boston not too long ago. Had a few hours to kill in the middle of the night before my train left South Station. I walked around the Back Bay neighborhood. I saw so many homeless people. The most heartbreaking sight was outside this church that proudly proclaimed in a huge sign a mulit-million dollar exterior renovation. Yet all around the perimeter of this place lay 50 or 60 homeless people and mind you it's much colder up there than here. This image stuck in my mind....I wish someone came along pushed open the doors of this holy place and invited them in. Isn't that what holy places are suppose to be? Warm and inviting.

The human condition makes me sad.

I'm not hearing what you DID about what you saw in Boston or what your solution for the park problem is. Nobody can solve the horrible and increasing poverty situation and the plight of the homeless. It will always be with us. But let's not condemn people who work hard to make a home who just want to feel safe when they walk their dogs or take their children to the playground.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yea lets get rid of those THINGS that make that park so unattractive! Our dogs can only be walked around in gold-plated settings.

I understand people's concerns but where is the compassion? The majority of these individuals probably have several issues but are for the most part harmless. Now if they really are doing something that might harm themselves or others then please do call the authorities.

It's easy to make ourselves believe that we can get them to the social services they need. Have most of you forgotten what the country is going through? Do you really think that the so called safety net can even provide them with what they need? Social services are stretched, or drastically cut or non-existent....and that would be a fair way to describe them before the economic down fall.

I was in Boston not too long ago. Had a few hours to kill in the middle of the night before my train left South Station. I walked around the Back Bay neighborhood. I saw so many homeless people. The most heartbreaking sight was outside this church that proudly proclaimed in a huge sign a mulit-million dollar exterior renovation. Yet all around the perimeter of this place lay 50 or 60 homeless people and mind you it's much colder up there than here. This image stuck in my mind....I wish someone came along pushed open the doors of this holy place and invited them in. Isn't that what holy places are suppose to be? Warm and inviting.

The human condition makes me sad.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
So its OK for them to shoot up their heroin all day and crash in the park at night? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

First you disapprove of something I didn?t claim and then you ask me if I?m kidding about it?? Lay off the smack, yourself.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 19:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/23 18:12
Group:
Registered Users
Not in my backyard. Send them to Frank's backyard.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
So its OK for them to shoot up their heroin all day and crash in the park at night? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Get them out, get them help and get them away from the children who play in the park.
Next time I find needles while my kid is playing, I will be sure to send them to Frank!

Posted on: 2011/10/20 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
You should tell them that Zucotti Park is in Manhattan!

Posted on: 2011/10/20 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scrappe7 wrote:
I knew someone would take this thread there, thanks Frank.

I'm willing to take that chance if it means these people are reported so that the proper authorities can take them in, evaluate them and hopefully give them the help that they need. It surely won't come by doing nothing and simply shrugging my shoulders since "it's just a few people taking shelter and where's the harm in that" as it seems your attitude is.

This gets them off the streets and maybe on the right track so that they aren't calling VVP their home. So good for them, good for the park and good for me as I have one less possible nut job asking me for change, shouting obscenities at me when I ignore them and just bringing down an otherwise beautiful park.

You?re willing to take that chance, huh? Priceless.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 17:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
I knew someone would take this thread there, thanks Frank.

I'm willing to take that chance if it means these people are reported so that the proper authorities can take them in, evaluate them and hopefully give them the help that they need. It surely won't come by doing nothing and simply shrugging my shoulders since "it's just a few people taking shelter and where's the harm in that" as it seems your attitude is.

This gets them off the streets and maybe on the right track so that they aren't calling VVP their home. So good for them, good for the park and good for me as I have one less possible nut job asking me for change, shouting obscenities at me when I ignore them and just bringing down an otherwise beautiful park.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is the maintenance of precious sensitivities really worth a special place in Hell?

Posted on: 2011/10/20 15:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I will start calling as well. I am out pretty early with the dog and it makes me uncomfortable.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 15:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks parkman. Are they normally responsive?

Posted on: 2011/10/20 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Please call P.O. Dina Reilly at the East Precinct when you see this occurring ? 201 547-4370 (It?s time for someone else to call besides me.)
This year it seems that VVP is the vacation spot of choice?we do provide them with beautiful surroundings.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 14:24

Homeless in Van Vorst Park
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like over the last few weeks the amount of homeless people in and around VVP has gone up. I notice in the mornings there are as many as 5 all sleeping under the gazebo in the middle of the park.

Anyone know how we go about getting these people to shelters and out of the park? I imagine when it gets colder they'll have to go indoors but in the meantime I'd rather the park stay as safe and clean as possible.

Posted on: 2011/10/20 13:58

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017