Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 15 »

Re: Jersey Ave Bridge to Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
JC really needs to get with the program and stop catering to the needs of drivers. Which JC residents would benefit from having a vehicle bridge to the park via jersey ave?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Any delay is a good delay. Liberty State Park will become Liberty State Parking Lot, when this auto bridge gets built.

Calm, quiet spots are disappearing fast.

We used to have a "great lawn" at LSP. There is now a (private) marina located on the site. Development all over LSP has been booming.

But, an updated pedestrian bridge would be nice.

Green spaces are important. Any thing we can collectively do to further delay an auto bridge is a good thing.

(Not from downtown).

Posted on: 2012/5/3 16:25
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
JC applied to the Feds for a grant (Tiger Fund?) but did not get it.

That's the last I heard.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 12:57

Jersey Ave Bridge to Liberty State Park
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 17:55
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any info on the bridge that is going built to connect Jersey Ave to Liberty State Park?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 3:00

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Avenue I believe is a county road. Which means the city wouldn't even be able to put stop signs up.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
This bridge will dramatically increase traffic on Jersey Ave. If you're complaining about people not stopping at cross walks now, just wait until all the bayonne people and south jersey people can avoid traffic on the turnpike with a nice cut through the park.

If it does go through, we should demand stop signs on every block between there and the tunnel. It'll be traffic hell either way.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 12:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
My point about that was the bridge could serve the purpose of extending Jersey Ave but not making it an option for the morning commute. Losing track of what I'm debating. Should've laid off that last hit of acid..................

Posted on: 2011/10/7 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Snibe, umm, can you explain how a bridge that's closed during high traffic would ease traffic through B-L at those hours?

Posted on: 2011/10/7 16:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Snibe wrote:
Maybe something as simple as making the bridge a one-way away from downtown between 7-10am would solve this problem?

Kinda like I just suggested?

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
For Lafayette residents, the bridge is a must. Pacific Ave. from Johnston to Grand is a parking lot every morning from about 7:45 - 8:45. Millions of cars cut through to get to downtown / Holland, half of them with New York plates, and traffic backs up for blocks - residents of the neighborhood are trapped by nonresident commuters. Yesterday it took me 10 minutes to drive from Maple St. to Grand, a distance of a few hundred feet that can be walked in less time.

All of those cars will be going downtown and to the Holland anyway, so I don't follow the logic that a bridge will increase congestion there. If anything, by providing two access points rather than one, it should to some extent dilute congestion while improving quality of life for Lafayette residents.

If you are so concerned, you should move out of Bergen-Lafayette into the downtown.

Also its not millions of cars. I don't even think its tens of thousands. I believe the circulation study pegged it in the 9,000 per hour range. Its been a while since I've read it, so maybe it was about 12,000. Even so, that's not even a plural tens of thousands.

Almost every car passing over a bridge on Jersey Avenue would also drive right passed the light rail station. Perhaps some of those drivers should take the train instead of driving.

Extra access will just mean more cars getting off the turnpike at 14C and cutting through the downtown rather than traveling to Columbus Drive, or HFS, staying on the turnpike until 12th Street. Ultimately it will mean craploads more cars for Lafayette as well as more and more commuters think they are beating the traffic by getting off at 14c.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
I remember talking with people in the know about this extension and they all said that traffic calming measures would have to be in place before this even happens. One was to not even have the extension open to traffic heading into JC at certain times. Remember this is not a giant 4 lane highway that was talked about a decade ago. It's a narrow two lane with stop lights.

Don't believe all the hype that all these DT JC nutters will try and have you believe.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You got me. We're the JC Traffic Apologists Sect.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Snibe wrote:
Brewster, I think it'd be fair to argue that if commuters discovered this new shortcut was faster than going through BL to get into downtown, then yes, it very well could relieve congestion in that area.

study after study has shown that increasing surface area (widening roads, adding new routes) does little to ease congestion. as the traffic lightens up, more people choose to drive, and the car load simply increases to fill the available space.

see: outer loop, Atlanta Georgia.

I dunno Biscuit, this is like talking to some sect with a immutable belief system. they don't even argue the point, they just pretend it wasn't made.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Intially I thought this was a great idea but now I am completely against it. I rode my bike through the path that connects Jersey Ave to LSP at 715 this morning. I ride from downtown and generally dodge cars/hope that I don't get hit until I hit Jersey Ave. If this road connects these two areas, I doubt it will ease congestion. People will re-route their commute. Additionally, it will not longer be a peaceful entrance to the park.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Snibe wrote:
Brewster, I think it'd be fair to argue that if commuters discovered this new shortcut was faster than going through BL to get into downtown, then yes, it very well could relieve congestion in that area.

study after study has shown that increasing surface area (widening roads, adding new routes) does little to ease congestion. as the traffic lightens up, more people choose to drive, and the car load simply increases to fill the available space.

see: outer loop, Atlanta Georgia.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, I think it'd be fair to argue that if commuters discovered this new shortcut was faster than going through BL to get into downtown, then yes, it very well could relieve congestion in that area. You're right that it wouldn't do anything to alleviate the traffic in downtown, but even based on your logic, it's still not impossible that it could help the flow in BL.

As far as your solution, I think it's only fair to keep in mind that nobody is doing anything wrong or illegal by cutting through downtown to get to the tunnel, and therefore shouldn't be punished for doing so. These are all public streets and we don't have any more right to say can and cannot drive on them based on our own personal desires. I think this is where I'm supposed to tell you to move to the suburbs, right?

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
VVP area already gets a C- on pedestrian friendliness. Add this ridiculous bridge extension and you'll be at D- in no time. Really bad idea. Jersey already gets way backed up with obnoxious drivers at rush hour times.

Good luck crossing or turning onto Jersey Ave downtown residents...

Posted on: 2011/10/7 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
For Lafayette residents, the bridge is a must. Pacific Ave. from Johnston to Grand is a parking lot every morning from about 7:45 - 8:45. Millions of cars cut through to get to downtown / Holland, half of them with New York plates, and traffic backs up for blocks - residents of the neighborhood are trapped by nonresident commuters.

Your understandable desire for a solution apparently makes you deaf to reason. I'll try again: If you went "poof" with your wand, and every car that cuts through B-L suddenly went up the Jersey extension, eventually an equal number of the thousands of cars making their way up to 14C will realize that there's a route that has suddenly been cleared of traffic. And soon that route will fill again to the same traffic pressure point at which additional drivers will say "F-it, that route is no faster than staying on till Columbus or 12th St". And you'll have the same number of cars on your street and Downtown will have twice as many than before cutting through OUR local streets.

Can you hear me now?

My preferred solution would never be implemented because the TPK Authority couldn't give crap about our local problems: Have a 1 hour lockout from using EZPass to enter the tunnel if you exit the Tpk before 12th st during rush.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
> Yesterday it took me 10 minutes to drive from Maple St.
> to Grand, a distance of a few hundred feet that can be
> walked in less time.

So why didn't you?

Robin.

Because I recently sprained my ankle. My wife drives to work in S. Orange and dropped me off at the PATH.

Do you want to know what I had for dinner last night and why?

I could ride the bus, and sometimes do when it's pouring rain or 10-below, and experience the same gridlock.

BTW - I posted this on 1/17 in the thread "Bergen Lafayette?": "I live in Lafayette. I walk to the PATH every morning for work - exactly 20 mins. (1.3 miles according to Google Maps, but you can save a few minutes by cutting across the Pathmark shopping center parking lot.)"

Posted on: 2011/10/6 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> Yesterday it took me 10 minutes to drive from Maple St.
> to Grand, a distance of a few hundred feet that can be
> walked in less time.

So why didn't you?

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
For Lafayette residents, the bridge is a must. Pacific Ave. from Johnston to Grand is a parking lot every morning from about 7:45 - 8:45. Millions of cars cut through to get to downtown / Holland, half of them with New York plates, and traffic backs up for blocks - residents of the neighborhood are trapped by nonresident commuters. Yesterday it took me 10 minutes to drive from Maple St. to Grand, a distance of a few hundred feet that can be walked in less time.

All of those cars will be going downtown and to the Holland anyway, so I don't follow the logic that a bridge will increase congestion there. If anything, by providing two access points rather than one, it should to some extent dilute congestion while improving quality of life for Lafayette residents.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 17:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe something as simple as making the bridge a one-way away from downtown between 7-10am would solve this problem?

Posted on: 2011/10/6 15:36

Re: Seeking $18 million federal grant to connect Jersey Avenue Downtown with Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What's sad is that no one involved seems to have studied traffic history. They claim the reason for this project is to ease traffic through Bergen-Lafayette, but all that will happen is there will be a new path for traffic avoiding 14C to enter Downtown and it will fill to capacity, with B-L traffic undiminished. It's like believing that putting a new 3/4" drain valve on a a swimming pool will reduce the flow of the 1st one. The reservoir of water, like that of cars looking for a shortcut, is far in excess of the capacity of the relief.

Picture Jersey Ave northbound at 8:30 am, cars trying to get to the Holland or waterfront backed up all the way from Grand past the light rail, frequently blocking the rush hour trains. What a great idea!

Posted on: 2011/10/6 15:27

Re: Seeking $18 million federal grant to connect Jersey Avenue Downtown with Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Older plans also included widening Jersey Avenue, which is a horrible idea.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 14:49

Seeking $18 million federal grant to connect Jersey Avenue Downtown with Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City seeking $18 million federal grant for bridge to link Downtown with Liberty State Park

Monday, October 03, 2011, 10:31 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

City officials are pursuing an $18 million extension to Jersey Avenue over Mill Creek in Jersey City.

Jersey City has applied for an $18.4 million federal grant that would fund an extension of Jersey Avenue across Mill Creek, giving Downtown motorists a shortcut to Liberty State Park and Liberty Science Center.

Jersey Avenue now ends just south of Jersey City Medical Center, with only a pedestrian bridge traversing Mill Creek. The expansion project would connect the street to Audrey Zapp Drive, which leads into Liberty State Park.

The project, which has been explored several times in the past, could take up to three years to complete, said city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill. Preliminary plans that date back 20 years show a bridge design, she said.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
here is the link to the PDFs from the Jersey City Regional Waterfront Access and Downtown Circulation Study
(JCRAS), produced by Stantec Consulting, in association with AKRF, Stump/Hausman, and Medina Consultants.

http://jerseycitynj.gov/hedc.aspx?id=2310
(Section 5.1 in PDF Part 3 addresses Jersey Ave. The Executive Summary does as well, of course).

Also, on this page is the Circulation study from T&M Associates.
http://jerseycitynj.gov/hedc.aspx?id=1170

But, I cannot find the old report from Dresdner Robin...

Posted on: 2010/7/2 20:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/27 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
i'm liking, alot, the idea of making the extension on Jersey Ave a paved road for BIKES and pedestrians only!

Really do think that if the extension were widened, paved or cobblestoned, better lit, security cameras, cleaned up, weeded and cleanly landscaped...then instead of DRIVING to LSP, far more people would walk or bike to the park! I know my neighbors, friends and family would.

This alone would help with the traffic congestion overall -- both downtown AND in Lafayette.

The idea of opening the extension to vehicular traffic : terrible!

Witness the gridlock, bumper to bumper traffic for hours in the morning and afternoons when school 4 and 3 get out. an expressway extension could exacerbate the problem to an unbearable level.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster,

Are you really implying that the "realestate forces" of JC are the puppet masters of Jersey City government and when this extension is finally built they will get the credit? All becuase they wanted to brand BL as part of DT? We all know developers can can pull strings in this corrupt city but a realtor? Surely you jest.

It's undeniable that it would help connect the downtown to the southeastern end of BL and aid in redeveloping that area. We all know gentrification is marching west where the taxes and prices of a brownstone are miniscule compared to DT. It's also undeniable that by not connecting Philips drive and Jersey avenue all the rush hour traffic gets poured into the densely-populated, poor area of the city (BL.)

Once again, when I heard Sam Pesin of Friends of Liberty State Park is now for the extension I dug deeper and realized the main concerns by the older JC residents stem from over a decade ago when there was a bone-headed proposal for a huge 4 lane freeway to connect Audrey Zapp Drive to Jersey Avenue so commuters could take a short cut to the Holland Tunnel.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moosamus wrote:
@81905

I get the point in that you see an economic advantage for B-L in this extension. What I don't get is that you suppose each counter-argument is simply an expression of self-righteous downtown snobbery. I just don't think this project will help anybody except a handful of NYC auto commuters. I'll go down your list and offer what I think are reasonable responses:

Bravo M! Thanks for getting my back. This whole thing is starting to smell of something I sniffed a few years ago during the boom: an effort by real estate forces to "brand" B-L as part of Downtown and cash in on that association. There were some unjustifiably high prices there.

81905: so now it's "tough crap" about traffic? what about B-L's traffic complaints that you use to justify the extension?

Posted on: 2010/7/1 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I should have also added to my previous post that many BL and Greenville residents coming back from destinations in DT JC will also use this new extension to get home, thus lessoning traffic on Columbus, Grand and Pacific.

Of course we shoud all minimize the use of automobiles at all costs and DT JC and NYC businesses should do a better job at rewarding employees who take public transportation, use park and rides and car pool options.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 12:24

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017