Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Do I Need a Construction Permit for This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Trying to hire a contractor, but thought I should check with the "official agency" just to make sure. I spoke with 3 contractors in total, 2 told me no permit needed, but 1 said perhaps. That's why I wanted to make sure.

What's the number that you listed?

Thanks...

Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
are you doing this yourself or hiring a contractor? 201-547-5030

Posted on: 2011/10/13 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
are you doing this yourself or hiring a contractor? 201-547-5030

Posted on: 2011/10/13 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I need to repair / re-do my shower due to a leak (not properly waterproofed when it was first installed).

Does anyone have the building dept phone number? I'd like to call and find out / confirm if I need a permit for the re-do.

TIA.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 12:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you both for the advice! Ironically I did try asking this to the construction code office and talked to two different people and they couldn't answer the question for me! (which is very reassuring, of course) I was told "probably not". You are correct, as we are not changing the structure of the house, just repairing and replacing what is damaged. Thanks Again!!!

Posted on: 2011/9/25 17:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
IMO Brewster is probably right, you PROBABLY don't need a permit.
Having said that, hold your contractor accountable for his advice. Give him a deposit of NO MORE than 50% when he starts the job. When he has substantially completed it (like 80% done), give him another 25%.
Hold that last 25% back until the job is 101% done. That way if you do have to file for a permit after the job is started he will also feel some pain. Keep in mind he is telling you he does not need that permit, so let him live with those words.
Make it clear to him from the start that this if a permit has to be filed it will hold his payment up until code issues (if any) are taken of.
Hope this helps and Best of Luck!

Posted on: 2011/9/25 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kitcat wrote:
We finally have worked out our flood claim from Irene and need to start fixing our finished basement. We have to replace dry wall, insulation and cracked tiles. Our contractor said we didn't need a permit but I keep hearing mixed reviews on this...plus the house next to me is under full gut reno (with permits) so the city seems to be here often and I am concerned if I don't have one I might get in trouble (though really I don't want to go through the hassle of getting it if it truly is not needed). Does anyone have any opinions on this one?

Thanks!

This typifies the homeowners dilemma. You want to trust your contractors opinion, but you know you'll be left holding the bag if they lie to you. That said, I think he's right. Typically "repairs" are not in need of permits (up to a point of course). You're not changing any aspect of the structure, nor is any of it related to the structural integrity of the building.

A caveat I can think of is that there are "trigger points" in the code, where if you go past a certain amount of work, they will require related things to be brought up to code. A scenario I can imagine is if you take down all the wallboard in the basement, they would require the wiring be brought up to code if it isn't, like outlet spacing and number of circuits. This happened when I took down some ceilings.

Of course calling Buildings for answers would be the sensible thing to do, but there's about 3 1/2 minutes of the day when someone who can give answers is actually there. Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 15:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
We finally have worked out our flood claim from Irene and need to start fixing our finished basement. We have to replace dry wall, insulation and cracked tiles. Our contractor said we didn't need a permit but I keep hearing mixed reviews on this...plus the house next to me is under full gut reno (with permits) so the city seems to be here often and I am concerned if I don't have one I might get in trouble (though really I don't want to go through the hassle of getting it if it truly is not needed). Does anyone have any opinions on this one?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/9/24 12:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
If you really want to save yourself a lot of trouble, hire a contractor that not only works in New Jersey, but one that works often in Jersey City.

Jersey City's buildings department claims to not "share systems" (whatever that means) with the state licensing authority for contractors, electricians, plumbers, etc. They give you a lot of flack and waste a lot of your time during permitting/inspection if they don't know the contractor or if he's not in the city's "system".

Posted on: 2011/9/18 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
We want to add about a 1.5-2 ft wall in front of our garbage/gated area of our single family home and then shift the steps going down to the basement so that we have a fighting chance against flood waters (right now water goes under our metal fence and straight down the steps).

Typically we wouldn't worry about a permit (eg, basement work, backyard work) but because this may involve the contractors using the sidewalk, I'm wondering if we should seek a permit. I also know people have posted this could take many mos and we want to protect our house sooner rather than later.

Does it all just depend on the contractor and their relationship with the city?

Thoughts?

It does seem that way. Better to get a contractor that's based in New Jersey and is at least somewhat known by the Buildings Department if you want to get a permit and pass inspection. I used a contractor that was based in Staten Island and the department gave me a hard time about it, said that the procedures in New York are inadequate compared to New Jersey. Also, when the inspector came to my place to inspect my new porch, he asked who my contractor was and when I told him, he said he never heard of the guy. It took four visits before the inspector gave by new porch a clean bill of health, and I think that was because the inspector just got sick of coming to my place.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 14:08

Do I Need a Construction Permit for This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
We want to add about a 1.5-2 ft wall in front of our garbage/gated area of our single family home and then shift the steps going down to the basement so that we have a fighting chance against flood waters (right now water goes under our metal fence and straight down the steps).

Typically we wouldn't worry about a permit (eg, basement work, backyard work) but because this may involve the contractors using the sidewalk, I'm wondering if we should seek a permit. I also know people have posted this could take many mos and we want to protect our house sooner rather than later.

Does it all just depend on the contractor and their relationship with the city?

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/9/18 13:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017