Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Opinions on Journal Square - Is it still up and coming?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JerseyCityFrankie wrote: Hey while I am on the subject: Does anyone from City Hall monitor these posts? If so I would like to draw their attention to the flag atop the flagpole in the traffic median at Journal Square. its in very poor condition and has recently split lengthwise. I'm surprisingly sensitive to flag etiquette for a liberal and it makes me sad to see the flag in such a poor state. Also it sets the bar even lower in terms of setting an example of how the flag should be respected.

Today, around 12:30 PM, they put up a new flag at Journal Square.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know whose Idea it was to put Earthcam near the steps, fountain side.. That is one ugly looking piece of junk.

Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I want to take this opportunity to express thanks and deep appreciation to the Friends of the Loews. The Loews Jersey cinema is just about the ONLY thing around Journal Square that appears to be constantly improving and which offers something positive to the community. I don't think I'm going too far to say the old movie theater and the people that volunteer there represent the only bright light in an otherwise dark place. A place seemingly forsaken by city government. Another nice aspect of the area I shouldn't forget to mention is the plantings the Port Authority maintains around the otherwise disintegrating PATH plaza. Take away those trees shrubs and flowers, which are very well taken care of, and there would be nothing pleasant to greet your eye.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Hey while I am on the subject: Does anyone from City Hall monitor these posts? If so I would like to draw their attention to the flag atop the flagpole in the traffic median at Journal Square. its in very poor condition and has recently split lengthwise. I'm surprisingly sensitive to flag etiquette for a liberal and it makes me sad to see the flag in such a poor state. Also it sets the bar even lower in terms of setting an example of how the flag should be respected.
Mention it to either Colin or Patty from the Loews they also run the JSQ Farmer's Market and are very community minded. Also call the Mayor's office at
(201) 547-4900

Posted on: 2012/1/17 17:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
urban pioneering takes decades to realize.the property next to the path station was ready to go,to build 2 retail/residential towers,plus properties on sip ave have been cleared and prepped.financing caught a hangup and progress was halted.also property behind the old medical center[beacon]is schedueled to be developed,as to when nobody knows.propery was to be taken by eminent domain which met with much resistance with property owners.projects like this require lots of financing and investors are scared to make a move due to interest rates and this countries financial shenanegans.it will eventually happen but the timeline is very uncertain.so if you are waiting for something spectacular to happen,dont get your hopes up,it more than likely happen any time soon. my advice is to enjoy the fact that you live near new york and enjoy the funk of jersey.just watch your back brcause you are being watched by the street urchins that surround you.and if you want good chenese food ya gotta get on the path train

Posted on: 2012/1/17 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Hey while I am on the subject: Does anyone from City Hall monitor these posts? If so I would like to draw their attention to the flag atop the flagpole in the traffic median at Journal Square. its in very poor condition and has recently split lengthwise. I'm surprisingly sensitive to flag etiquette for a liberal and it makes me sad to see the flag in such a poor state. Also it sets the bar even lower in terms of setting an example of how the flag should be respected.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I want to take this opportunity to express thanks and deep appreciation to the Friends of the Loews. The Loews Jersey cinema is just about the ONLY thing around Journal Square that appears to be constantly improving and which offers something positive to the community. I don't think I'm going too far to say the old movie theater and the people that volunteer there represent the only bright light in an otherwise dark place. A place seemingly forsaken by city government. Another nice aspect of the area I shouldn't forget to mention is the plantings the Port Authority maintains around the otherwise disintegrating PATH plaza. Take away those trees shrubs and flowers, which are very well taken care of, and there would be nothing pleasant to greet your eye.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 16:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/29 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed a sign at Journal Square's empty lot where the towers are supposed to go up. It says that work is supposed to start in the summer of 2012 with a completion date of 2014. I guess we'll see.

The sign says more info can be found at
www.thejcra.org

Posted on: 2012/1/16 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I can attest to that as someone who lives near jsq - I've been killed 3 times.

It sounds like there's more rumblings of redeveloping McGinley Sq now than JSQ area. I suspect because a MGSQ redevelopment plan costs less money as it does not involve office towers.

Speaking of new thing popping up in the neighborhood - Coconuts at 681 Montgomery. Really good grilled food. You build your own dinner by choosing the meat, then the sauces, then a side. Reasonable prices. Fairly cozy. Friendly family running the business for eat in and take out.

Posted on: 2011/9/25 14:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
i think that the fact that there aren't a thousand replies here that say that anyone foolish enough to live in jsq will be kidnapped, mugged and drawn and quartered two seconds after they arrive shows that attitudes are changing.

we looked everywhere in jc, and decided on a single family detached home with a medium-sized yard and parking for two cars. that's what we wanted. the trade-off is that yes, we have to drive ten minutes to downtown two times out of three when we go out to eat, but we feel that is a worthwhile trade-off.

our lifestyle is such that we're usually indoors between midnight and 6am, so factor that in, but thus far we have had no issues whatsoever with our house, our cars or our selves and we've made probably 8 to 10 good friends in the neighborhood. we like it here.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 18:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I agree that they should turn the empty lot into a nice park. I think Jersey City (probably all of Jersey except maybe Hoboken) fails to realize the benefit of having public spaces that attract people who will linger and perhaps buy stuff. Right now, about the only people who linger in that area are bad seeds

Yes a park, perfect for the homeless to sleep in. Just make JSQ more comfortable for them.

It is definitely a very transient area, people move in and out, alot of foreigners, single people, homeless, etc. Redevelopment is expected to be completed around 2060 according to the website.

http://thenewjournalsquare.com/

LOL @ 2060. Thanks for posting this link. I forgot about this website. It seems as though the halt of updates on the website coincide with the market crash in 2008. Bummer.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 14:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
I have lived in Journal Square for 4 years now and when I moved here it was partly because it was up and coming, close to the city and "affordable" compared to other areas. It's been 4 years and there have been barely any changes.

Obviously JSQ was hit by the economy and like everyone else our market value's have gone down. I have basically put it in my head that I would need another couple years before I can (hopefully) regain my equity which is a reality I have to deal with.

What are people's opinions on the JSQ area? Do people know of developments in the area or things in the pipeline.

Let me know what you think.

You honestly never heard of the redevelopment plans for JSQ and you've been living there for 4 years?

Posted on: 2011/9/20 12:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I agree that they should turn the empty lot into a nice park. I think Jersey City (probably all of Jersey except maybe Hoboken) fails to realize the benefit of having public spaces that attract people who will linger and perhaps buy stuff. Right now, about the only people who linger in that area are bad seeds

Yes a park, perfect for the homeless to sleep in. Just make JSQ more comfortable for them.

It is definitely a very transient area, people move in and out, alot of foreigners, single people, homeless, etc. Redevelopment is expected to be completed around 2060 according to the website.

http://thenewjournalsquare.com/

Posted on: 2011/9/20 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nickpastula wrote:
ItGirl has the right idea. I live in Canco Lofts now and literally right under our noses (out of my window) opened Mana Art Center.
See the below link. Any neighborhood in the NY metro area (LIC, Brooklyn, wherever) would be super excited for this company to pop-up and promote the heck out of it. Its super cool and a leader in their field. They had a event this past Sunday with a art viewing, and live music in their event space. White Star provided the F&B.

http://www.artmanafest.com/

Wow. What a shit website. I love how "testimonialy" your promotional material is too.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/9/19 22:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
@ sepecat, I completely agree-- "Why does everything have to look like downtown?"

I like JSQ. Certain blocks aren't nice; I avoid them. I would love to see it improve, but I wouldn't want it to turn into a version of Hoboken (!), downtown, or anything else.

I agree with the posters encouraging support of area businesses, etc.

Also: I wouldn't move to a neighborhood with the hope that it changes into something *I* want. As if the people who've been living there for a while don't count. It annoys me when newcomers (and I am one) act as though they "discovered" a neighborhood.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nickpastula wrote:
ItGirl has the right idea. I live in Canco Lofts now and literally right under our noses (out of my window) opened Mana Art Center.
See the below link. Any neighborhood in the NY metro area (LIC, Brooklyn, wherever) would be super excited for this company to pop-up and promote the heck out of it. Its super cool and a leader in their field. They had a event this past Sunday with a art viewing, and live music in their event space. White Star provided the F&B.

Put a NSFW before your link please. This "art" has two naked broads on the front page. which normally would be fine when Im NOT at work.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 20:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/9 14:43
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/9/19 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
nothings happening to the PATH terminal anytime soon, or that open lot next to it. I wish they would just admit they arent planning on building anything and in the meantime, open it up as a park to the public. grass is already growing there. all they need to do is take the fence down and have some guy mow it one a month

Posted on: 2011/9/19 16:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RiverRat wrote:
The long term plan looks really good, but nothing will happen until the Port Authority is committed to rebuild the PATH station and bus terminal, and NJT to run possible light rail or bus rapid transit. That will not happen during the Christie administration, unfortunately.

With the new toll hikes, do you think that will resurrect the revitalization of the PATH Bus Terminal? Also what is the deal with the stall of that project in JSQ. That big empty lot is unsightly.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
@Neverleft -
"I don?t consider the JSQ area ?run down? yes it is old, but those people take pride in their houses and try their best to keep them up."
That's true about some blocks in JSQ, but there are plenty where people don't give a damn about maintaining their properties, and there are a lot of buildings around with absentee landlords who do only the bare minimum, if that. Its very easy to find house with piles of trash permanently in the yard, or pieces of siding hanging off, places where people take no pride in their surroundings. Just look at all the trash on the streets, I see people throwing crap on the sidewalk and out of there cars all the time.
As to the original question, I think there are some indications that JSQ is on the up, Hudson County Community College has been doing some development, and so has Saint Peter's. Overall though, JSQ isn't much different than it was 4 years ago, and I don't think it will change that much in the next 4. Eventually it will become more gentrified, its way too close to Manhattan not to go up in value and attract more "newcomers" and "yuppies", and as they come so will more amenities to benefit us all. I think that massive empty lot in the square has a big negative impact on of the neighborhood and the city will have to do something about it before real changes happen. In the long run owning property in the area will be a sound investment, but I wouldn't expect the value to jump anytime soon.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
@spider

Like pferm201 and heights said sorry to hear about your friend, that sucks! I haven?t heard of many violent muggings/crimes in the area. Just the regular run of the mill muggings. The ?Gime all you gots, run your pockets? kind. It?s the random violent crime on good hard working people that is so creepy. F?en cowards!

I remember posting this piece last year. It is one of the scarcest JC crimes I have read about in years. I still get chills reading it.

Police say Jersey City man flees after gunman pulls trigger, but gun doesn't fire

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

February 19, 2010,

A Downtown Jersey City man is lucky to be alive after a man pointed a gun at his chest Tuesday night and pulled the trigger, but it did not fire, officials said.

The 21-year-old Varick Street resident was walking home from a grocery store at 8:17 p.m. and was at Varick and Christopher Columbus Drive when the gunman and another man hiding between parked cars ran toward him, reports said.

The gunman pointed a black handgun with a long barrel at the man's chest, mumbled something unintelligible, and pulled the trigger, reports said. When the victim heard a clicking sound and realized the gun had not fired, he turned and ran, reports said.

The gunman is described as being 18 to 20 years old and wearing blue jeans and a black jacket with an orange lining and fir trim around the hood, reports said. The second man was wearing either a red hat or red shirt, reports said.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
yeah every part of the city has crime, but i always see hoodrats walking around jsq area. sometimes they come downtown. my friend holly lives on a friendly block 2 blocks from jsq path. one night she was randomly pistol whipped, almost raped, ended up in hospital for facial surgery. this was around 11:30pm-ish. i know i know, she should have been inside her house at that hour.

Typical low life mutants that don't even have a pot to kiss in. It's no wonder why everything is luxury rentals these days it's a way to price out the have nots. I also hope your friend is ok after having to endure that torture.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 20:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
@jerseyboy

I don't think anyone knows what exactly the entertainment center will feature. Right now it's on the planning board. I welcome it here and hope it has a very unique and creative architecture. To have it built looking just like a box, with windows????? heLL to the no!!!!!!!! They should build it the in the fashion of older times, almost like what Lowes theatre is.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 19:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone have info on the project in McGinley Square? the article refers to an entertainment center? etc

Posted on: 2011/4/13 19:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
@spider

how unfortunate for her, hope she recovered rather quickly and didn't have any permanent issues when she had facial surgery. But no one should be mad at her for being out that late. She is a grown woman that can be out at any hour if she pleases, she was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. But still people need to be cautious, even living on a quiet block can sometimes have crime, it's just part of city life.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
yeah every part of the city has crime, but i always see hoodrats walking around jsq area. sometimes they come downtown. my friend holly lives on a friendly block 2 blocks from jsq path. one night she was randomly pistol whipped, almost raped, ended up in hospital for facial surgery. this was around 11:30pm-ish. i know i know, she should have been inside her house at that hour.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
and fyi I am talking about the 1960's marion boys...so don't worry. I don't think any of them can move too fast in their walkers...

Posted on: 2011/4/12 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
@pferm201

No the other Heights person mocked on the JSQ.

I guess I will need to gather up my Marion boys and teach you guys a good old JC lesson.

(But I think most of the boys are dead or in jail)

Posted on: 2011/4/12 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
@neverleft

I guess your trying to address me? !st, no one was bad mouthing the square or Marion. Marion would be easier to build up because it's less dense and better planned then the main section. No one from the Heights is scared from anyone from Marion, think no?... ask Summit mobb but this isn't that kind of forum sooo.

@hero69

you pretty much narrowed it down. People won't spend the same assists as they would in other places simply because of what they "think" JC and the rest of NJ is.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Just some ramblings from an old-timer on this?.

JSQ / Indian Sq are probably the most successful business areas in JC. Those areas are thriving, there are signs of life everywhere. Not like other ?more developed? parts of the city that look like ghost towns during most times of the day. Have you ever driven (or at least tried to drive) up Newark Ave. on a weekend? It is like freaking Times Square. I think they could use a Bloomy pedestrian area. (do you remember my ?Frogger? post) All of the stores in the JSQ are rented out and have been for years. All of the houses are occupied not with one single yuppie/newcomer/pioneer per house but with hard working large families of all nationalities.

I don?t consider the JSQ area ?run down? yes it is old, but those people take pride in their houses and try their best to keep them up. (as would you) There are some really nice looking houses in the area. Also isn?t that what you newcomers like old/original stuff?? Real city living.

Like someone said DTJC was a true gentrification because the small stock of brick houses that were abandoned by their owners were purchased on the cheap by newcomers and developers and turned around. (had a friend who purchased a 4 story brick row house from the city for $3500 in the early 80?s) Other large parcels of vacant factory/railroad property were used to build massive apartment/condo towers. (some ugly in my opinion..sorry) I can?t see JSQ home owners ?selling out? to newcomers/developers they know the value of their cribs in the rental market. Just need to hang onto them rent one floor out live on the other. Prices are around 400K for a two family. Buildings with stores along Indian Square going for a million plus. Heard the store rents are at 6K to 10K+.

JSQ is at full occupancy. The retail is not what the 2,000 or so JC newcomers might hunger for but for the rest of the 234,000 of us it is fine. Coffee is coffee the bean comes from the same place doesn?t matter if it served in a fancy Starbucks cup or a Bodega paper cup.

Like I keep saying yes support your downtown businesses but spend some of that money in other parts of JC. You will be surprised what you find. I see some of you have found Boulevard Drinks. Excellent!

Crime in JSQ is the same as anywhere in JC. The same JC rule applies..if you are brave enough to go out at night watch your back.

There are many close knit communities(/blocks) in JSQ. Everyone watches out for one another. A real nice mix of people. An example is the quiet dead end streets around the square. Real tight! Also on those streets are a few cool looking new/old properties. Yes there is new development sprinkled around JSQ.

The new JSQ ? www.thenewjournalsquare.com

Oh yeah some one mentioned messing around with the Marion Section..bulldozing it?? Back in the day the Marion boys would have kicked your butt for saying something about Marion! They were a nasty crew!

Funniest thing about this thread is that someone from the JC Heights actually had the balls to bad mouth another section of the city (JSQ). Not cool!! Hey the JC Heights summer concert series is almost here. The driving pounding sounds of Latin music coming out of apartment house windows at all hours of the night. Enjoy!

I think both newcomers and old-timers should come together?

I feel like singing? how about a song?.

[Chorus]
We are JC
We are it?s residents
We are the ones who see a brighter JC
So let's start working
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own property values
It's true we'll make a better JC
Just you and me

When you walk around JC
There seems no hope at all