Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown: Group of teens yell racial slurs at Filipino man, 51 - try to force way into home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/4 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
I just read a similar article on a Filipino based site and I've included it below. I've roughly translated the parts that were in Tagalog. It's sad that my fellow Filipinos are feeling that they've been especially targeted but that's probably not the case. At least I hope it's not. What's truly remarkable about the article is that the police admit that there's been close to 3,000 reported assaults last year yet little seems to be happening to prevent and stop these crimes.

Pinoys victimized by string of muggings in NJ
by Don Tagala, ABS-CBN North America News Bureau | 08/16/2011 12:13 PM
JERSEY CITY, NJ - Jersey City resident Edwin Maravilla was assaulted and robbed by at least two unknown men last weekend.

Maravilla said, ?Nagsususi na ako ng pintuan namin, biglang may yumapos sa akin ni-lock na ako, tapos pinagbibira na ako sa mukha, di ko na alam kung, parang panaginip ba o ano, tapos nag-pass-out talaga.? [?I was unlocking our door when all of the sudden, someone grabbed me. Then they started hitting me in the face over and over. I didn't know if it was like dream or what. Then, I actually did pass out.?]

Maravilla said he woke up drenched in his own blood. His watch and wallet with cash were stolen.

West Side Avenue is one of the toughest streets in Jersey City, and is home to many Filipinos.

Jersey City Police Chief said that there were close to 3,000 assaults reported last year.

Another victim, Oliver Untalan, was mugged in the area a couple of weeks ago. Untalan was hit on the head with a blunt object. He said his attackers were two young African American men between 19 to 25 years old.

Some Filipinos are now worried for their own safety.

Roberto Luna, a friend of the victim said, ?Hindi bale na kunin na yung gamit, huwag na lang saktan, naospital pa, 28 stitches yung nasa batok niya.? [?Okay, take his things but you don't have to hurt him. They even sent him to the hospital with 28 stiches to his head.?]

When asked if he fears for his own safety he said, ?Aba siyempre!? [?Yes, of course!?]

Jersey City resident Johnny Velardo said, ?Sa aking palagay para naman yung sinasadya na lang, bakit puro Pilipino ang tinitira diba?? [?To me, it seems like it's deliberate. Why else would all the attacks be on Filipinos??]

Another Filipino mugging victim, Relan Magbanua said he reported the crime to the police, but none of these attackers was ever caught.

When asked what the Police has done so far, Relan Magbanua said, ?Ah, were gonna get them," adding, "How can you get them wala naman silang ginawa dun, takot nga sila dun, that place is very dangerous.? [?How can you get them when they don't do anything about it? They're scared of them actually. That place is very dangerous.?]

In a phone conversation with Lt. Edgar Martinez, Public Information Officer for the Jersey City Police Department (JCPD), he said that it?s almost impossible for the police to arrest these muggers as most victims failed to identify their attackers.

JCPD is asking the cooperation of businesses around the area to provide the police with surveillance videos that may provide clues that could lead to the arrest of these muggers.

There are plans to install more police cameras around the area, but the needed US12 million funding has not been approved by the governor.

JCPD also promised to increase police visibility in the area.

Source URL: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-fil ... imized-string-muggings-nj

Posted on: 2011/8/16 23:01

Re: Downtown: Group of teens yell racial slurs at Filipino man, 51 - try to force way into home
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
@JCorNYC

LOL, you must be a Jersey City Downtown Newbie, a Nyc Transplant.

I guess you did not about the projects and low income housing located Downtown JC. There are alot of them. LOL

Posted on: 2011/8/16 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like Flash Mobs that's rampant in Philly, Chicago, Wisc. etc. lately has reached our borders of Downtown Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/8/15 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Two cases in Hoboken today...

Hoboken police say mob of 12 people pummel two men in attack near Pier A Park (click below)
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... lice_say_mob_of_12_p.html

Hoboken woman assaulted and robbed by group on Park Avenue Tuesday(click below)
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... man_assaulted_and_ro.html

...maybe a 3rd:

Teens arrested in connection with robbery at 9th Street Light Rail Station in Hoboken
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... sted_in_connection_w.html

Posted on: 2011/8/14 6:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/2 11:39
Group:
Registered Users
where on eight street did this hapen

Posted on: 2011/8/14 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Stellar reporting as always by the Jersey Journal. With their useless description of the attackers I'm sure they'll all be identified in no time!

Posted on: 2011/8/13 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
I am sick of hearing and reading about these stupid punks who have to roam around in herds like animals and prey on single victims. There is no contest when it's a gang against one person. They don't know the concept of mano a mano. They are cowards.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Wow, truly frightening stuff. I am shocked at the lack of outrage or responses from this story. You cannot chalk this up to teens being teens. Maybe if they had a dog with them then people might be freaking out?

Posted on: 2011/8/13 14:23

Downtown: Group of teens yell racial slurs at Filipino man, 51 - try to force way into home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City man tells police a group of teens yelled racial slurs at him and tried to force their way in as he entered his apartment building

Published: Friday, August 12, 2011, 3:00 AM
By The Jersey Journal

Filipino man, 51
A Jersey City man was walking home when a group of teenagers started yelling racial slurs at him and attempted to follow him into his apartment building Wednesday night, police reports said.

The victim, 51, said he was walking on Eighth Street when he noticed a group walking in his direction. As the man approached his apartment building, he noticed that the group had also arrived at that location, police reports said.
The group, described as four teenage males and two females, began yelling Asian racial slurs, police reports said. The victim is of Philippine descent.

Fearing for his safety, the victim hurried into his apartment building, police reports said. The victim walked through the first door, which did not have a lock, and tried to unlock the second security door, reports said.

As he was unlocking the security door, one of the group attempted to push his way through the first door, as the others continued yelling racial slurs, reports said. The victim pushed against the first door to keep the group out of the building, reports said.

The victim then saw other people walking past the building, which caused the group to leave the scene and go west on Eighth Street, reports said.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 13:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017