Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Groups plan protest in Jersey City against toll and fare hikes proposed by Port Authority
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

4. Are they really that smart or just cheap labor, shouldn't we rely on our own native born first ? It's true during the WW2 era the U.S.A. excelled, the intelligence of society was less complicated then so it should have been easier for those outside of the U.S.A. to assimilate.

And why didn't more immigration arrive here outside of Europe ?

What makes you think that European America is taking a back seat to the rest of the world there are lots of brilliant people out there who are second, third, and forth generation heck go even as far back as the Mayflower. Don't sell your country short. Did you come from a one parent home ?

I sure hope you stick to your guns the next time you're sick or wind up in an emergency room. Insist that ONLY European American, native-born doctors and nurses should attend to you. Given the abysmal performance of American kids in math and science, I'll take my chances with that doctor from India or China. Did you not read the Tiger Mother book? While white American parents were busy handing out medals and trophies to their kids for coming in 12th place at the swim meet, Tiger Mom was drilling her kids on the periodic table and making sure they were good enough to play a recital Carnegie Hall, to boot.

You ask why more immigrants didn't arrive here outside of Europe pre-WWII. I refuse to believe that you're so ignorant of your own country's history as to be unaware that U.S. immigration law went out of its way to keep out non-Europeans until the 1960s. LBJ signed the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 right within sight of JC - on Liberty Island - that made it possible for my dad, a scientist, to emigrate here a couple years later. Next you'll be saying the founding fathers abolished slavery...And yeah, that Mayflower generation was really brilliant - they discovered witches nearly 400 years before J.K. Rowling!

Posted on: 2011/8/9 4:10

Re: Groups plan protest in Jersey City against toll and fare hikes proposed by Port Authority
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
No way that Christie signs off on this. For someone who already is causing waves within his own party, signing off on what can essentially be interpreted as "new taxes" (by way of the fare hike) will be political suicide for his national political ambitions.

Also, don't feel the need to respond to "heights". His moniker is a disgrace to the neighborhood, and his posts are little more than a string of bigoted non sequiturs. I'm not totally convinced he's not just a typical online forum troll.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I 'm curious what nationality are you or are you affiliated with these people we are debating about ?

You are clearly Lenape. I thoroughly respect your right to decide who among us should be here. If you would like, I'm free next weekend and would be more than happy to help you get Manhattan back. Damn immigrants took advantage of you and your poeple.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSURugbyHooker wrote:
1. You left out the best part of my original post: "I don't know if your doc changed up your meds recently or if you're just dead from the neck up..."
2. Actually, it's quite American of me to think you're a complete imbecile and to express my opinion in regards to your xenophobia in a public forum. The crutch of the weak-minded simpleton is to brand somebody "un-american" or "communist" for disagreeing with their misdirected, uneducated logic. Thank you, Mrs. McCarthy.
3. "Why the fare hikes?"
-Billions of tax dollars being wasted on un-winnable "wars on terror" each month instead of being spent on improving US infrastructure.
-WTC rebuilding and cost over-runs.
-The infrastructure of the PA needs to be desperately upgraded.
If tax dollars and private investment aren't going to subsidize these improvements, then the costs are going to be thrown back onto the consumers. Economics 101.
4. Did you ever think that the reason so many Indian people thrive in this country is because they're hard-working, highly educated individuals who will do whatever it takes to succeed and pass these ethics onto their children? The United States has fallen behind the rest of the world in innovation and education, and countries like China and India are thriving like America did post-WWII while the states are basically crumbling. We have a very high population of people in this country that have poor reading, writing, and math skills, and a poor grasp on the sciences, not because the schools are falling apart (which many are), but because they're raised by a parent (or two if they're lucky) that have the same lack of education. We have a very high % of Americans that have only one working skill set, thus making it difficult to be hired into other fields where they have no experience. Mediocrity is the standard now for many Americans and doing what's only necessary to get by and nothing further is becoming more and more the norm. Many jobs are staffed by foreign individuals because Americans wouldn't take these jobs for the pay that is being offered, and/or they view the work as being "below them" (ie. picking crops, flipping burgers, stocking shelves, etc.).

-The Communist

1. Your original post is immaterial and psychotic you sound depressed.

2. You seem to have a fondness for people outside the family, as I stated Americans first.

3. I agree with you on the wars money should be spent at home first, hence America first.

4. Are they really that smart or just cheap labor, shouldn't we rely on our own native born first ? It's true during the WW2 era the U.S.A. excelled, the intelligence of society was less complicated then so it should have been easier for those outside of the U.S.A. to assimilate.

And why didn't more immigration arrive here outside of Europe ?

What makes you think that European America is taking a back seat to the rest of the world there are lots of brilliant people out there who are second, third, and forth generation heck go even as far back as the Mayflower. Don't sell your country short. Did you come from a one parent home ?

It is time we feed our own, those who want to cross our shores should wait their turn. Perhaps in a decade or two we can accept them but right now we have our own house to take care of first !

I 'm curious what nationality are you or are you affiliated with these people we are debating about ?

Posted on: 2011/8/9 1:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think the chinese yuan is not rapidly gaining value against the dollar, I wish that were the case. It seems to me that the Chinese government has created good opportunities for its educated citizens, something that India, Nigeria, Bangladesh and a host of other countries should be striving for...

Maybe the use of the word "rapidly" in my statement was a bit of a stretch, but there're two things to keep in mind about the Yuan that justify my statement:

1. The yuan has appreciated 6.2% against the US dollar since June 2010, when China eliminated its fixed exchange rate against the US dollar.
2. While 1 yuan is about 15 cents US, its been widely speculated that the Chinese government still stifles the growth of the yuan in order to attract US manufacturing businesses to its shores. The Chinese govt. doesn't want the yuan to appreciate too much against the dollar, lest US manufactures take their production jobs to other Asian countries with highly favorable currency exchanges, like Vietnam and Bangladesh. China, being a highly stable country, knows that overseas manufacturing rather not deal with unstable governments.

With the downgrade in the US credit rating, the yuan and the euro stand only to gain in the world markets and the Chinese may finally let the yuan 'out of its cage.' Beijing needs to keep its people happy too, and a growth in its currency would go a long way in keeping its brightest minds in China.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
TWO COMMENTS in NJ.COM.... SOME ONE KNEW IN THE ADMINISTRATION THAT THIS IS COMING...

de2 August 07, 2011 at 7:34PM

Don't be fooled by any suggestion that the governors didn't know about this. The PA doesn't do anything without getting an OK from Albany and Trenton. They proposed this big increase so the governors could shoot it down. Your supposed to be happy when they propose a smaller increase.
That said, the PA has a real problem. NJ kept the ARC funds, the PA want to plow them back into their capital program. They have the Bayonne Bridge, Gothels Bridge and JFK improvements on their plate and they can't bond for them without more revenue. Recession cut into those incomes like everyone else!

joeschmoe166
Joe Schmoe August 07, 2011 at 8:02PM

de2, if your theory is correct that Cuomo and Christie both knew in advance of these PA fare increases, but are pretending to be absorbing this information only now, then that's a major scandal. Not that this is any surprise, but I don't think voters would be particularly pleased to know that their elected officials are acting out a script. If somebody could establish that Christie & Cuomo actually had conversations with the PA and knew of these proposals long ago, then that would be a major piece of information which underscores how orchestrated all of this corruption is at every level. Surely *somebody* out there knows if the C's were privy to this announcement over a week ago.

Hahaha. Port Authority employees aren't allowed to sneeze without checking with the respective state capitols.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, I don't think the chinese yuan is not rapidly gaining value against the dollar, I wish that were the case. It seems to me that the Chinese government has created good opportunities for its educated citizens, something that India, Nigeria, Bangladesh and a host of other countries should be striving for.

I think foreign students should generally be aiming to return home after their studies!

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
PLEASE bring signs and join at 5pm today.

Don't let both Govs C & C to play the script!!

Posted on: 2011/8/8 18:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Nothing against India, but if it was so great then why don't Indian students go home after they finish their studies. Japanese and European and many students from South America, and increasingly China, do.

You'll have to ask some Indian people that question because I'm not sure it's entirely true. My guess for why they stay is because there's a large demand for highly educated people with degrees in the sciences (medical) in the US and Indians who move to Europe, the US, and Canada can parlay their education into high paying jobs in currencies that are still much stronger than the Indian Rupee. If the Chinese are increasingly moving back home post-grad, I'm sure its because the Chinese Yuan is gaining fast on the US Dollar. America is still the land of opportunity, but you may have to take a few undesirable jobs or have five roommates to get that opportunity. For people who live on very little in their native countries, making due here isn't nearly as difficult here as it is there.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
hero69: How do you know a larger proportion of students from India stay here after they finish their studies as compared to European or other international students? Show me some concrete proof...

And even if they do, so what? They are now educated folks willing to work hard for the almighty dollar. That's pretty damn American.

My family never went back to the poverty and suffering of my ancestral lands...Scotland. My grandparents were from Oklahoma...no one in my family has returned there either. Just saying.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing against India, but if it was so great then why don't Indian students go home after they finish their studies. Japanese and European and many students from South America, and increasingly China, do.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 2:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
It's not anger it's truth. They are subsidized by cooporate America by way of inverted outsourcing most don't even pay for train fare. We should be hiring our own people to do these jobs. You don't know the half of it. And at least my Jersey accent is American. You must be some sort of communist or un-American to have anger towards me. There is no need to spend money over seas as well as hire foreign born when we are suffering here in the U.S.A. So then why the fare and toll hikes ?? Lets get our priorities straight where we come first. Maybe you should rent the movie The Mouse that Roared. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared

1. You left out the best part of my original post: "I don't know if your doc changed up your meds recently or if you're just dead from the neck up..."
2. Actually, it's quite American of me to think you're a complete imbecile and to express my opinion in regards to your xenophobia in a public forum. The crutch of the weak-minded simpleton is to brand somebody "un-american" or "communist" for disagreeing with their misdirected, uneducated logic. Thank you, Mrs. McCarthy.
3. "Why the fare hikes?"
-Billions of tax dollars being wasted on un-winnable "wars on terror" each month instead of being spent on improving US infrastructure.
-WTC rebuilding and cost over-runs.
-The infrastructure of the PA needs to be desperately upgraded.
If tax dollars and private investment aren't going to subsidize these improvements, then the costs are going to be thrown back onto the consumers. Economics 101.
4. Did you ever think that the reason so many Indian people thrive in this country is because they're hard-working, highly educated individuals who will do whatever it takes to succeed and pass these ethics onto their children? The United States has fallen behind the rest of the world in innovation and education, and countries like China and India are thriving like America did post-WWII while the states are basically crumbling. We have a very high population of people in this country that have poor reading, writing, and math skills, and a poor grasp on the sciences, not because the schools are falling apart (which many are), but because they're raised by a parent (or two if they're lucky) that have the same lack of education. We have a very high % of Americans that have only one working skill set, thus making it difficult to be hired into other fields where they have no experience. Mediocrity is the standard now for many Americans and doing what's only necessary to get by and nothing further is becoming more and more the norm. Many jobs are staffed by foreign individuals because Americans wouldn't take these jobs for the pay that is being offered, and/or they view the work as being "below them" (ie. picking crops, flipping burgers, stocking shelves, etc.).

-The Communist

Posted on: 2011/8/8 1:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
TWO COMMENTS in NJ.COM.... SOME ONE KNEW IN THE ADMINISTRATION THAT THIS IS COMING...

de2 August 07, 2011 at 7:34PM

Don't be fooled by any suggestion that the governors didn't know about this. The PA doesn't do anything without getting an OK from Albany and Trenton. They proposed this big increase so the governors could shoot it down. Your supposed to be happy when they propose a smaller increase.
That said, the PA has a real problem. NJ kept the ARC funds, the PA want to plow them back into their capital program. They have the Bayonne Bridge, Gothels Bridge and JFK improvements on their plate and they can't bond for them without more revenue. Recession cut into those incomes like everyone else!

joeschmoe166
Joe Schmoe August 07, 2011 at 8:02PM

de2, if your theory is correct that Cuomo and Christie both knew in advance of these PA fare increases, but are pretending to be absorbing this information only now, then that's a major scandal. Not that this is any surprise, but I don't think voters would be particularly pleased to know that their elected officials are acting out a script. If somebody could establish that Christie & Cuomo actually had conversations with the PA and knew of these proposals long ago, then that would be a major piece of information which underscores how orchestrated all of this corruption is at every level. Surely *somebody* out there knows if the C's were privy to this announcement over a week ago.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSURugbyHooker wrote:
Foreign accents < your posts.
but you do realize that Indian people make up a significant number of PATH riders, and that they'd feel the pain of the fare hike just like any other person would, 'American' or not, right? That a significant number of people who ride the PATH aren't 'American' by birth and have accents that are unlike your own? If you were born and raised in this area, there's a very good chance that you have that annoying "Joy-zee" and "cwah-fee" accent that makes me want to stab myself in the ear with a q-tip.
Here's an idea: instead of directing your anger at those who don't look and sound like you (which may very well be a great thing), direct your anger at the crooked, corporate interest prioritizing politicians that people keep electing into office that have turned our country into what it is today.

It's not anger it's truth. They are subsidized by cooporate America by way of inverted outsourcing most don't even pay for train fare. We should be hiring our own people to do these jobs. You don't know the half of it. And at least my Jersey accent is American. You must be some sort of communist or un-American to have anger towards me. There is no need to spend money over seas as well as hire foreign born when we are suffering here in the U.S.A. So then why the fare and toll hikes ?? Lets get our priorities straight where we come first. Maybe you should rent the movie The Mouse that Roared. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared

Posted on: 2011/8/8 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They should roll those dang fares back to $0.25. Service has not improved in 100 years and there costs have gone down too when you factor out the platinum salaries and benefits that those PATH employees get.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 0:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Published: Sunday, August 07, 2011, 3:41 PM
The Jersey Journal By The Jersey Journal

"Port Authority should not penalize the hard working population because, funds are spent on unwanted wars", said Erik -Anders Nilsson, director of Jersey City Peace Movement.

I wish Mr Erik -Anders Nilsson would enlighten me how Port Authority fare increases are related to funds spent on unwanted wars. For the life of me I cannot see a connection.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 23:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Well it finally happened we woke up. I got berated, chastised, and insulted because I wasn't PC enough, stated foreign accents are annoying, professing Americans first, and chanted stop outsourcing. Why don't we take care of our own for once. Thank you Esther Winter for wanting our tax dollars to be directed towards our own well being. I am all for a raise but these figures are out of control. Too much too soon.

Foreign accents < your posts.
I don't know if your doc changed up your meds recently or if you're just dead from the neck up, but you do realize that Indian people make up a significant number of PATH riders, and that they'd feel the pain of the fare hike just like any other person would, 'American' or not, right? That a significant number of people who ride the PATH aren't 'American' by birth and have accents that are unlike your own? If you were born and raised in this area, there's a very good chance that you have that annoying "Joy-zee" and "cwah-fee" accent that makes me want to stab myself in the ear with a q-tip.
Here's an idea: instead of directing your anger at those who don't look and sound like you (which may very well be a great thing), direct your anger at the crooked, corporate interest prioritizing politicians that people keep electing into office that have turned our country into what it is today.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
"A 57 percent fare increase on working people will break the backs of many. Unintended consequences will be felt not long after as people continue to struggle through these difficult times. Our tax dollars need to be directed back to taking care of our own, not abroad. This proposed increase needs to be stopped", said Ms. Wintner.
The Port Authority is also looking to hike 30-day unlimited PATH passes from $54 to $89, a jaw-dropping 65 percent.

Well it finally happened we woke up. I got berated, chastised, and insulted because I wasn't PC enough, stated foreign accents are annoying, professing Americans first, and chanted stop outsourcing. Why don't we take care of our own for once. Thank you Esther Winter for wanting our tax dollars to be directed towards our own well being. I am all for a raise but these figures are out of control. Too much too soon.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 22:07

Groups plan protest in Jersey City against toll and fare hikes proposed by Port Authority
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
** PLEASE BRING SIGNS

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... an_protest_in_jersey.html

Published: Sunday, August 07, 2011, 3:41 PM
The Jersey Journal By The Jersey Journal

Rain or Shine, members of Jersey City Peace Movement, Action 21, JC Asian Merchants Associations, Community Activists Esther Wintner and Riaz Wahid will hold a protest rally in front of Journal Square PATH Station (near Taxi Stand) to protest proposed PATH fare and toll increases from 5 to 6:30pm tomorrow, Aug. 8.

"Port Authority should not penalize the hard working population because, funds are spent on unwanted wars", said Erik -Anders Nilsson, director of Jersey City Peace Movement.

"A 57 percent fare increase on working people will break the backs of many. Unintended consequences will be felt not long after as people continue to struggle through these difficult times. Our tax dollars need to be directed back to taking care of our own, not abroad. This proposed increase needs to be stopped", said Ms. Wintner.

"Around $420 annual increase in monthly pass constitutes two weekly pay checks of additional commuter cost, which is a tremendous burden to someone who is working at minimum wage. There should be no increase whatsoever especially in this economy", said Mr Wahid.

Late Friday, Port Authority brass announced the agency would hke the tolls for E-ZPass holders for roundtrip Hudson River crossings -- including the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels -- from $8 to $12 during peak hours; and for cash payers from $8 to $15.

PATH commuters would pay $1 more, or $2.75 a trip for train rides to and from Manhattan, the officials said.

But today, the New York Post reports that Govs. Chris Christie of New Jersey and Andrew Cuomo of New York -- the officials who control the bistate agency -- were blindsided by the announced hikes and are not on board.

If the PATH increase were to take effect, it would be the first time since 1962 when the PATH fare would be more than the New York City transit fare, which is currently $2.50.

The Port Authority is also looking to hike 30-day unlimited PATH passes from $54 to $89, a jaw-dropping 65 percent.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 20:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017