Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Westside: Part of old PJP Landfill site might get a Walmart or another big-box store
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:

We also need JOBS! Small businesses only hire their own family. Walmart will hire many people that live here in Jersey City, exactly what this city needs!

I'd say Walmart is exactly what this city does NOT need.

"Wal-Mart store openings kill three local jobs for every two they create by reducing retail employment by an average of 2.7 percent in every county they enter."

- Neumark, David, Junfu Zhang, and Stephen Ciccarella, January 2007. ?The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local LaborMarkets.? Institute for the Study of Labor Discussion Paper #2545, University of Bonn.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=958704

Read more in a report by NYC's Public Advocate Bill DiBlasio:
http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/files/Walmart.pdf

Posted on: 2011/8/2 0:47

Re: Westside: Part of old PJP Landfill site might get a Walmart or another big-box store
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Costco! Costco!

AGREED!! BJ's pales by comparison, it's ridiculous they're so late in opening a Hudson County store. Walmart is already in Secaucus, Kearney and Bayonne. Both the latter stores are 8 minute drives from the Sip location. No need there.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/8/1 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Oops! I was wrong. This is not the area near Pathmark. It's farther down the highway near Sip. My mistake. I got my toxic landfill sites confused.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 13:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Red-Deutsch, it is a great idea for the residents of Westside, Journal square, and the rest of Jersey City. The only store that would mostly affected by this would be the Kmart on 440.

There aren't many small businesses in that part of town anyway plus they over charge us.

We also need JOBS! Small businesses only hire their own family. Walmart will hire many people that live here in Jersey City, exactly what this city needs!

Posted on: 2011/8/1 3:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Not 100% sure, but I believe that area being discussed used to be the location of a big box in the past. Wasn't that the site of Great Eastern / Valley Fair many, many years ago ('70's)? Those were there even before the K-Mart moved in.

The K-Mart would likely suffer the most in terms of business. There are not many mom & pop type places down there. There is the little strip mall, but by in large I don't think they provide the same type services that a big box would offer. There is a PetLand, Stadium Pizza, I think it's a tanning salon, yes, of course, a dollar store, and Pathmark. That's about it, I think. There's a Chinese restaurant across the street, near where the bowling alley used to be.

Back in the old days, aside from Great Eastern / Valley Fair, I think this was also the location of the drive-in movie theatre. Yes, JC had one "back in the day!" Pretty cool, huh?

JC has changed. We used to have a stadium, a bowling alley, a drive in movie theatre... up the road a bit there was a roller rink, etc. Maybe we need some of these type of things back. Maybe that's why so many kids today either stay home playing video games or wind up on the streets with nothing to do. That usually does not turn out well. Maybe I'm just old.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 0:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
People patronize neighborhood and 99 cent stores because the stores are conveniently located-- I suspect that most people shop at them on foot.

Big boxes located way out by the Hudson Mall serve a different clientele-- a clientele with access to an automobile. You must drive a car or take a bus to get there. I don't think that crappy old Hudson Mall rings the death knell for local small business.

Newport Mall, the newport Target, Modell's, Staples, PathMark, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc are the real culprits. These giant megastores just don't belong in a mostly pedestrian area.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I wouldn?t mind seeing a Costco or Walmart with 3.5% sales tax and a gas station there. I don?t mind it, but there is already a retail spot opening up in Hudson mall since staples is moving inside the mall? The building is already there which I?m sure would cost less to convert than to build one from scratch.

The current plan is to have one of the big box stores move in there actually. From what I'm told it is one of the many Big Lots/Buy Rights, etc. that is moving in.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever, it's just more of our money being given to China either way. You have a choice of being middled by the small businesses you are referring to, or you can choose the lowest priced option (and still get middled by Walmart). The small businesses should be put out of business anyway unless their products are generating revenue from U.S. made products.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 22:10
From West Side
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure what businesses would be killed by this that aren't already killed by the Target downtown and stores in Newport Mall. It would just save me the drive to Clifton (Costco) or Harrison (Walmart).

Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
do you idiots understand what this means...it will kill the small business here. walmart is known for doing that, so why bring in something that will kill something that is already struggling in this city.

the only good thing that would come from wal mart is the fact it would get rid of most 99cents stores.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Costco! Costco!

Posted on: 2011/7/30 19:50
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn?t mind seeing a Costco or Walmart with 3.5% sales tax and a gas station there. I don?t mind it, but there is already a retail spot opening up in Hudson mall since staples is moving inside the mall? The building is already there which I?m sure would cost less to convert than to build one from scratch. The traffic is already there so instead of congesting 440 as is, might as well go somewhere where space is available.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
OMG....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly ! I can't see it happening it would be a madhouse if it does. A MADHOUSE!!!!!!! Chuck Heston:(Planet of the Apes)

Posted on: 2011/7/30 17:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
OMG....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2011/7/30 16:06

Westside: Part of old PJP Landfill site might get a Walmart or another big-box store
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Redeveloper in talks with Walmart to put big-box store on Routes 1&9

Published: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The property of AMB Warehouse, located on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City, is looking to sell to a big-box retailer, preferably Walmart.

The San Francisco-based corporation that plans to build a large-scale warehouse on the west side of Jersey City is itching to sell the property to a big-box retailer, possibly Walmart, according to well-placed sources.

AMB Corp. purchased roughly 47 acres at the old PJP Landfill site in the shadow of the Pulaski Skyway in 2008, and intended to construct a $100 million trucking warehouse on the site. The project was vigorously opposed by community members.

More than three years later, there?s still no warehouse at the site, which sits on Routes 1&9 at the foot of Sip Avenue.
AMB and city officials were cagey when asked about the purported move to sell the property to a retail chain, and a Walmart spokeswoman also offered a denial.

?We don?t have anything in writing or a contract,? said Bo Farkas, an AMB vice president, adding that the warehouse is still ?plan number one.?

Jersey City Redevelopment Agency Executive Director Bob Antonicello was similarly hesitant to say whether AMB is interested in selling.

?Not that I know of, or am at liberty to discuss,? Antonicello said.

But privately, city officials who asked not to be identified because there is no concrete deal yet say AMB wants out.
?They?re very hot to do a deal with Walmart,? one city official said, adding that Costco is also ?very interested? in the site.
The proposed 883,000-square-foot warehouse was long in the works, a pet project of Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, who said it would create 300 permanent jobs and yield $1 million annually in taxes.

But community members objected, saying the warehouse would create traffic congestion along Routes 1&9.
The city official noted that a Walmart could create up to 1,200 jobs.

Farkas said AMB has done ?quite a bit of work? on the site, removing about 30,000 tires. It?s working with PSE&G to relocate gas and electric lines, and hopes to have construction on the warehouse completed by next spring.

?We?ll entertain, you know, with people who are going to come to us and giving us really good pricing, but in general we?re not shying away from industrial,? he said.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 8:57

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017