Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: wtf - JCPD - insane ticket

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/13 15:51
Group:
Registered Users
ok ,the jcpd dont have nothing better to do but give tickets,thats all they seem too do ,besides off duty jobs where the girlfriedns are standing there with them do they come with the police for that job, and they would be talking onthere cell phones to ... and when they be driving the cop cars they are talking on there cell phones while they are driving how do you like that ololo.. and another thing i dont know if anyone knows of pinos restaurant on newark ave there is always a jcpd suv there parked its from the north and its a k9 suv always parked there for hours what do you call that bull crap.tell me what kind of job is that called. so as far as the jcpd they stink ......

Posted on: 2011/8/3 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Anyone think the "rolling stop" ticket campaign on Coles misses the point? They were ticketing at the multiway stops like Pavonia & 8th, where if you slow, you can clearly see there's no one else is approaching their own stop, and safely roll through. The real problem is the intersections like 10th, where only one way has a stop and a roll through is far more dangerous. Are they just going for the low hanging fruit rather than the best safety bang for the buck?

Posted on: 2011/8/2 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Every intersection is a cross walk.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/29 23:10
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
In that case, the city could save a lot of money by just not painting crosswalks at all!

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What is an unmarked crosswalk? How do I know when one exists?

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bthoma wrote:
Just plan all your driving on Columbus. Ever since they paved it there has been a noticeable lack of crosswalks on the newly-paved portions of the street. Should take the city another year to put them in, so as long as your driving on it you shouldn't have to stop for anyone.

Not so fast.

39-4-36
The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals...

Posted on: 2011/7/26 3:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/29 23:10
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just plan all your driving on Columbus. Ever since they paved it there has been a noticeable lack of crosswalks on the newly-paved portions of the street. Should take the city another year to put them in, so as long as your driving on it you shouldn't have to stop for anyone.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rbnyfan wrote:
Agreed. I've done this before too, but with a slightly different twist; one day I was driving southbound on Washington Blvd near Target, when I saw a family of ducks/geese (can't remember, but probably ducks) trying to cross the road. I slowed down and eventually stopped well short so that they could cross in front of me.
Mr. impatient BMW behind me could not wait (and in his defense, likely did not see the animals crossing), so he tried to pull out from behind me to pass me, and would have surely squashed a few of the babies in his haste.
Luckily I anticipated his action, moved my car over so he couldn't pass me, all the while he honked at me. Shortly after he saw the family crossing and stopped honking...probably felt like a D bag.

Hopefully you moved over when the family was out of his aim. If you hit some in front of you then you are at fault. So if the car in front of you stops it must be for a good reason. It would have been funny if you were a cop.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I dutifully stopped on Grove at 8th for a woman with a stroller to cross. While she was in front of my minivan I saw in the mirror a car behind me swerve to my left without braking to pass me. I honked my horn in panic at the mother, fortunately she was cautious enough to take it slow and was not hit. We exchanged disgusted looks.

I was somewhat to the right, as I was turning. Lesson is: block the whole road when you stop for pedestrians or you'll be an accessory to murder.

Agreed. I've done this before too, but with a slightly different twist; one day I was driving southbound on Washington Blvd near Target, when I saw a family of ducks/geese (can't remember, but probably ducks) trying to cross the road. I slowed down and eventually stopped well short so that they could cross in front of me.

Mr. impatient BMW behind me could not wait (and in his defense, likely did not see the animals crossing), so he tried to pull out from behind me to pass me, and would have surely squashed a few of the babies in his haste.

Luckily I anticipated his action, moved my car over so he couldn't pass me, all the while he honked at me. Shortly after he saw the family crossing and stopped honking...probably felt like a D bag.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What about where there's no marked crosswalk? doesn't that mean "cross somewhere else"? I saw an amazing feat of attempted Darwinism today, a woman pushed her stroller across Hoboken's Newark Ave at Harrison at rush hour to the NW corner. If there's a more dangerous uncontrolled intersection in JC I'd like to know (I believe its in JC). In addition to northbound cars whipping around the corner there's cars trying to turn off Harrison towards the Tpk and struggling to insert themselves into the nearly continuous stream of cars created by the Monroe, Newark & Grove intersection. This means they're turning right looking left and hitting the gas. Right where she pushed her child! Presuming she was coming from 18th st she should have crossed Jersey and come up the sidewalk at the outside of the bend. Do they need a sign saying "don't even think about crossing here"?

i had my last car totalled near that intersection on harrison at paterson ave in hoboken....taxi cab came flying up the hill trying to beat the light and hit me at over 45 mph.

if i see a pedestrian, i stop. people honk at me and want me to keep going. quite honestly, they can honk all they want. i'd rather get honked knowing that i'm keeping other a-hole drivers from mowing people over in crosswalks.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I dutifully stopped on Grove at 8th for a woman with a stroller to cross. While she was in front of my minivan I saw in the mirror a car behind me swerve to my left without braking to pass me. I honked my horn in panic at the mother, fortunately she was cautious enough to take it slow and was not hit. We exchanged disgusted looks.

I was somewhat to the right, as I was turning. Lesson is: block the whole road when you stop for pedestrians or you'll be an accessory to murder.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What about where there's no marked crosswalk? doesn't that mean "cross somewhere else"?

39-4-36
The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals...

Posted on: 2011/6/9 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What about where there's no marked crosswalk? doesn't that mean "cross somewhere else"? I saw an amazing feat of attempted Darwinism today, a woman pushed her stroller across Hoboken's Newark Ave at Harrison at rush hour to the NW corner. If there's a more dangerous uncontrolled intersection in JC I'd like to know (I believe its in JC). In addition to northbound cars whipping around the corner there's cars trying to turn off Harrison towards the Tpk and struggling to insert themselves into the nearly continuous stream of cars created by the Monroe, Newark & Grove intersection. This means they're turning right looking left and hitting the gas. Right where she pushed her child! Presuming she was coming from 18th st she should have crossed Jersey and come up the sidewalk at the outside of the bend. Do they need a sign saying "don't even think about crossing here"?

Posted on: 2011/6/8 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/24 4:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You are warned, don't speed or roll through stop signs going down Manila, you will be caught. Both marked and unmarked cars are waiting ( :

Um, I wasn't talking about the corner with the stop sign. I was talking about the one corner earlier -- and I didn't roll through any damn stop sign. Or mention anything of the sort.

Everyone has tips for speeders around here - see other thread - about how to beat speeding tickets. I asked for a similar tip to help adjust my ticket. Shrug - whoever said I wasn't going to get sympathy was sure right!

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 13:41
Group:
Registered Users
Just get yourself one of those big shiny Police Supporter badges to obstruct half your windshield, and all will be fine (or should I say NO FINE).

...Like the black SUV who parks IN the crosswalk EVERY Saturday afternoon across from C-Town and NEVER gets a ticket.

Really, I'd say about 60% of the time I see a "bad, even for Jersey City" driving maneuver being pulled, there is that gargantuan badge, in all it's suction cupped glory.

Or, as mentioned earlier, just become a cop so you can nearly mow down parents pushing strollers at crosswalks near Hamilton Pk.

To the honest folks who say it will be hard to wrap your Jersey City-born-and-bred arms around "civil" driving laws, I feel for you...but don't worry, barring a radical systemic change, you can go on your merry murderous ways with little worry of anything but sporadic enforcement.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
LOL. First of all, it should be 500 dollars. It is a moving violation and complete disregard of the stop sign. By "rolling" through, you are breaching safety. I live right in that area and everyday the police are having a ball pulling cars over left and right, I love it. I have seen or known of at least 25 accidents over the past 5 years. Just the other night, at 1:30 AM two cars blasted into each other, one car then deflected into a one way sign knocking it over. Guess what, it was because a car rolled on through without stopping. The City has been adding more stop signs in that Hamilton Park area on Erie, Manila etc and should add another at 8th and Manila because people gun it to make that light at 6th Street.

You are warned, don't speed or roll through stop signs going down Manila, you will be caught. Both marked and unmarked cars are waiting ( :

Posted on: 2011/6/2 19:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/15 12:46
Group:
Registered Users
The Real Stinger is that The State Of NJ could hit you with a Surcharge every year for three years just for that one Ticket!

Posted on: 2011/6/1 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
This is a start. These types of awareness signs do not exist in JC. I have not seen them anywhere. Surely the city could determine the most dangerous intersections and install these. Afterall, many drivers have no idea that there is a new law regarding stopping for pedestrians/bikers in painted cross walks.

http://www.tapcostore.com/State-Law-Stop-for-Sign-p/1636-00039.htm

They have these signs all over Hoboken and many other NJ towns. I have seen only one in JC, on Greene behind the Harborside buildings. I heard Steve Fulop say at a meeting a few months ago that the city's traffic/planning department seems to be uninterested in these signs.

Perhaps with a new mayor we could change priorities in the traffic/planning department . . . .

Posted on: 2011/6/1 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I saw a person driving the other day who barely hesitated as they made the left onto 8th Street from Jersey Ave. As soon as they turned they began leaning on their horn and it was then that I noticed a Mover struggling to cross 8th with a mattress on his shoulder. He was 150 feet away but this driver was not going to put up with someone getting in their way. They continued to beep the horn, never slowing down even as they swerved around the poor guy barely missing him. What a dirtbag driver.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
This is a start. These types of awareness signs do not exist in JC. I have not seen them anywhere. Surely the city could determine the most dangerous intersections and install these. Afterall, many drivers have no idea that there is a new law regarding stopping for pedestrians/bikers in painted cross walks.

http://www.tapcostore.com/State-Law-Stop-for-Sign-p/1636-00039.htm

Posted on: 2011/6/1 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
As I posted above: "I hear what you're saying and that makes sense Snowflake20." I think you just want to be heard. You are.

I don't want to argue each thread and dilute the message I wanted to make that as a taxpayer with a small child in this area I'd like to see more vehicles stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Regardless of the intelligence of a pedestrian, or a driver, for that matter - it's the law.

We all agree we'd like to see more consideration, caution and courtesy from both drivers and pedestrians, but Snowflake and I are also parents, and I don't think either of us would teach our kids that they're empowered to cross without caution just because the law says they can. We're simply reacting to your absolutism.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
As I posted above: "I hear what you're saying and that makes sense Snowflake20." I think you just want to be heard. You are.

I don't want to argue each thread and dilute the message I wanted to make that as a taxpayer with a small child in this area I'd like to see more vehicles stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Regardless of the intelligence of a pedestrian, or a driver, for that matter - it's the law.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Yes but you are the one, pathh8ter, who said that pedestrians always have the right of way, and that they should not have the onus to "cross correctly". When I presented my scenario where the pedestrians are clearly in the wrong, you post a snarky comment about crossing blindfolded and backwards. when I post a snarky comment back you jumped on my lack of "civility" and throw in a comment about your kid and how you want to know my car so you can avoid me so that I won't run the two of you down or some garbage like that. There are many, MANY instances when pedestrians are just plain wrong, and dumb, and stupid.

People need to stop and look both ways before they cross the street. Period.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Just got back from dropping my son in Hoboken. If you aren't aggressive you'd simply never get across 1st St on Park at rush hour. There's pedestrians in a more or less continuous stream on both sidewalks, and a flow of cars on 1st. Sometimes reality about crosswalks in our dense city is different from more civilized places. Pedestrians gotta look up and be part of the dance, and not just think they're 100% right at all times.

I'm not referring to the severe metropolitan chaos of Time Square and PATH/Hoboken or other crazy intersections such as that where the use of a police officer to navigate could come in handy. There are many, many examples in this city where a vehicle can wait for a pedestrian to cross (Jersey Ave. anyone?), where they do not.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The posted limit is 25mph. I never go above that.

I'll slow down and stop if I can see you. If you jog/cycle/run through the crosswalk, without making it clear I can see you, I'll fight you in court over your stupidity. I will give you right of way if you are in the crosswalk, but please use common sense.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Just got back from dropping my son in Hoboken. If you aren't aggressive you'd simply never get across 1st St on Park at rush hour. There's pedestrians in a more or less continuous stream on both sidewalks, and a flow of cars on 1st. Sometimes reality about crosswalks in our dense city is different from more civilized places. Pedestrians gotta look up and be part of the dance, and not just think they're 100% right at all times.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Until the JCPD really cracks down on these motorists disobeying the law so it gets ingrained into our heads then those of us who do walk and bike these streets do so at our own risk. Never assume that a motorist will stop for you in a painted cross walk.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Like I said, I stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. I shouldn't have to slam on my brake for someone who wasn't even on the curb when I am approaching the crosswalk, who decides to run into traffic because they are stupid or have a deathwish.

And btw, I have kids too. I stop at the curb and look both ways before I cross the street. I do not think that my stroller is a device to stop oncoming traffic. I don't cross unless I have a light and even then I stop at the curb and I make sure that it's safe before I cross the street. I also never enter the crosswalk until I know that I can actually cross the street.

To assume that drivers are always the discourteous ones in this city 100% of the time is ridiculous. Have you seen some of the people in this city walking around like they don't give a crap if a car is coming or not? Walking against lights? In the middle of the street? I stop for buses, I stop for pedestrians, I stop for a family of geese! I never "block the box" and I drive the speed limit. I am a courteous driver and a safe pedestrian.

I will admit that there are a lot of crap drivers out there too, but just as there are a lot of crap drivers, there are a lot of crap pedestrians.

I hear what you're saying and that makes sense Snowflake20. I just say irregardless if there are jerk-off pedestrians, if they are at a crosswalk preparing to walk, let's stop for them - which you tell me you do. It's what other civilized communities do. I am sure if that starts happening more regularly pedestrians will trust if they cross at a crosswalk they'll get across and hopefully they'll act with more civility in return. When I visit my hometown I wouldn't dare j-walk - it leaves gasps on driver's faces, it's shunned upon - because WHY do you need to j-walk when there are crosswalks everywhere that are safe?

Posted on: 2011/5/31 19:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
The moral of the story is, never look to JCList for sympathy. I think socialgal learned two lessons this week.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 18:57

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017