Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Corner Of Pavonia and Newark (by Dickenson)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
It's time to change the law requiring construction companies to hire police for road work. Flaggers would probably do a better job!

Good luck with that. That sweet OT to the cops amounts to city hall buying their political support at $45/hr of other people's money as part of the contract negotiation.

It's pretty funny, I googled "off duty cops at construction sites", no quotations, and 3 of the top 5 hits were press about JC. Seems some other places do it, but not many. Lucky us.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Selective enforcement, turning a blind eye to blantent law breaking and not leading by example are three of the main problems with Jersey City police. I don't understand why they don't care more about the city.

Those cops weren't working for US, they were moonlighting, taking advantage of their uniform (bought by us) and somehow getting use of our patrol cars to make extra money because the $100k + in regular pay and departmental overtime plus bennies isn't enough. So traffic wasn't their job. I'm not certain just what their job is that couldn't be accomplished by a flagger at a fraction the price as is done in most of the country, but ticketing anyone isn't it.

+1

It's time to change the law requiring construction companies to hire police for road work. Flaggers would probably do a better job!

Posted on: 2011/7/7 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Selective enforcement, turning a blind eye to blantent law breaking and not leading by example are three of the main problems with Jersey City police. I don't understand why they don't care more about the city.

Those cops weren't working for US, they were moonlighting, taking advantage of their uniform (bought by us) and somehow getting use of our patrol cars to make extra money because the $100k + in regular pay and departmental overtime plus bennies isn't enough. So traffic wasn't their job. I'm not certain just what their job is that couldn't be accomplished by a flagger at a fraction the price as is done in most of the country, but ticketing anyone isn't it.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

astrazombie wrote:
When the accident happened there was about 4 cops standing around "supervising" the sidewalk work. they just watched the accident happen.

honestly they've been doing the sidewalk in this section for about a week now and it hasn't stopped people from running the sign or started the police doing something about the people running the sign. most mornings on my way to work i stand in front of the cop that just ignores it.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/23 16:19
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody ever go to the Captain's meetings? A friend of mine recommended it to me to have the police address the problems with this corner. I've never really heard of them so I'm curious how often people's complaints get addressed.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 17:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When the accident happened there was about 4 cops standing around "supervising" the sidewalk work. they just watched the accident happen.

honestly they've been doing the sidewalk in this section for about a week now and it hasn't stopped people from running the sign or started the police doing something about the people running the sign. most mornings on my way to work i stand in front of the cop that just ignores it.

Posted on: 2011/7/2 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Buses and cars also always run the intersection at the bottom of the hill -- Newark Ave at Brunswick Street-- and it has a light!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
In Jersey City, rule of the road is, how fast you move, determines how long you live.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 20:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Curious about the time of the accident? Oh sorry, the accident was today...Still... Walked up the hill on the north side of Newark yesterday around 9.30 and there was a police woman standing right there in the shade of the trees by the gates to Dickinson, texting away like crazy on her cell while I tried to cross Newark because the sidewalk was closed off starting from the gates due to new sidewalk construction.

Another police woman further up by Palisades did help me to cross back to the north side of Newark again...

Posted on: 2011/7/1 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
That is a very dangerous intersection. I rarely say this, but it should be a light. It is necessary not only for vehicular and cyclist safety, but also for pedestrians to cross the street.

People get up a lot of speed going up and down that hill on Newark. Cyclists have a particular problem, because they will be going faster than usual, and anyone coming out of Pavonia onto Newark will have a hard time seeing them and judging their speed. The drivers are looking for cars, not speeding cyclists.

With the bend in the road, cars accelerating up the hill have a hard time seeing you as well.

If you are a cyclist, you should slow to a near stop before proceeding through that intersection to be sure you are seen. If you are a pedestrian trying to cross there, make sure your affairs are in order.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 16:23

Corner Of Pavonia and Newark (by Dickenson)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At the corner of Pavonia Ave and Newark over by Dickenson HS a Cyclist was hit by a car this morning by a car that ran the stop sign. As someone who lives on Pavonia and crosses it to walk up Newark every day, I find it extremely frustrating that the Stop Sign there is never observed by buses and cars alike, and that drivers won't even stop to let me cross at the crosswalk, but are in fact looking up Newark as they get to the crosswalk, and speed through in order to get in front of a car. There's an accident almost once a month here where a car or jitney doesn't stop and hits a car coming down Newark. I have called the police and complained repeatedly that there should be someone there enforcing this stop sign, but have been completely ignored, and in fact I often see police cars themselves speed right through the stop in order to get in front of a car. There has to be a way to make this corner safer.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 16:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017