Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City readies for gun buyback
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Here is wiki on a MAC 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC-10
=======================================

Jersey City's gun buyback program takes 65 deadly weapons off streets

Published: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Police Chief Thomas Comey, right, and Mayor Jerramiah Healy yesterday display the 65 guns collected during the city?€™s gun buyback program on Saturday.

Jersey City?s gun buyback program got 65 guns off the city?s streets on Saturday. The number might not be large but includes some particularly dangerous firearms, officials said.

?The devastation this gun could add to any street corner is truly catastrophic,? Police Chief Tom Comey said yesterday while holding up a machine gun pistol he referred to as a ?street sweeper.?

The chief said the gun, a MAC 10, has a 30-round magazine that can be expended in 10 seconds and it can also be modified to fire in fully automatic mode.

Comey and Mayor Jerramiah Healy displayed the weapons at a press conference at the Lewis S. McRae Justice Complex, where they stood behind tables holding the 43 handguns, 14 rifles and eight shotguns.

On display was hollow-point ammunition and firearms ranging from a rifle with a powerful scope, a shotgun with its stock sawed off, a two-round pocket gun, the MAC 10 machine pistol and what appeared to be a homemade ?zip gun.?

Healy launched the city?s gun buyback program, dubbed Operation LifeSaver, in 2005. That year police recovered more than 900 guns.

The program is funded by donations from residents, businesses and a $10,000 donation from the Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office, which comes from forfeited money.

?I have to commend the citizens who turned in these weapons because at any turn they could end up for whatever reason in the hands of a lawbreaker or being used in the heat of the moment during a dispute,? Healy said.

Operation LifeSaver II spent under $9,000 on Saturday for the guns, paying $100 for long guns and $150 for handguns.

LifeSaver II will hold buybacks again on Saturday at St. Joseph?s Church, 511 Pavonia Ave.; Monumental Baptist Church, 121 Lafayette St.; and Heavenly Temple Church, at 15 Martin Luther King Drive.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
More than 900 illegal guns are shredded at recycling plant in Jersey City

Published: Thursday, June 09, 2011, 3:02 AM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

In this hand-out photo, artist and founder of Art of Peace Charitable Trust, Lin Evola, speaks at the Sims Metal Management facility in Jersey City on Tuesday, June 7, 2011, about the guns being melted to create peace angels.

Looking on are, from left, Jack Halperin, chair of the Art of Peace Charitable Trust; Jersey City Police Director Samuel Jefferson; NYPD Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly and Jersey City Police Chief Comey.

About 930 illegal guns were shredded at a Jersey City recycling plant Tuesday and the fragments will be melted down to cast a Peace Angel statue to be erected in New York City as an antiviolence emblem.

NYPD Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly donated the illegal guns to the Art of Peace Charitable Trust.

The first statue will be 5 feet tall, and will be placed at One Police Plaza. The commissioner, as well as Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, were on hand to see the guns shredded at Sims Management on Linden Avenue.

Additional statues for New York City are to be cast, and the trust?s website shows an artist rendering of a 35-foot version planned for the city.

?We commend the trust?s inspiring efforts through artistic expression to help end the scourge of senseless violence most commonly manifested through illegal guns on the street of our cities,? Kelly said.

Art for Peace was founded in 1992 and employs peace building endeavors through art, youth leadership programs, job training and career placement. The organization has been endorsed by former President Bill Clinton, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and United Nations Chief of Disarmament Affairs Sergio Duarte.

The Peace Angels program was founded by the trust?s chairman, Lin Evola, who said the 35-foot monument planned for New York will require about 100,000 guns and a national campaign. She said a campaign for creation of a New Jersey Peace Angel is in the works.

?We have a very real and achievable goal of interrupting the cycle of violence within our neighborhoods, our nations and our world by supporting the removal of illicit weapons and transforming them into inspirational Peace Angels,? Evola said.

Evola has created Peace Angels for Los Angeles, Jerusalem and Johannesburg. The first Peace Angel sat outside a restaurant near Ground Zero in Lower Manhattan for nine months and Evola said it will be donated to the Sept. 11 Museum.

Also being incorporated in the metal for the statues are the non-radioactive casings of nuclear missiles. Evola said the stainless steel casings make the statues rustproof. She said the goal is to erect the police headquarters statue in about a year.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 9:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wonder if it is profitable to buy guns south of the border and selling them via the buyback here ?

Sure thing. With all the new and exciting guns that ATF and Mr. Holder sent over the border via the "Gunwalker" project, - the logical thing to do for the recipients would be to part with the old clunkers and sell them here.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 5:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if it is profitable to buy guns south of the border and selling them via the buyback here ?

Posted on: 2011/6/21 0:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
Gun buy back programs are a waste of money.

From the taxpayer's point of view - yes. However, if you are a politician, a lot of time the actual job that you were hired to do seems way too boring and way too difficult.

So, what a politician to do?

He is going to fight! For the working families! For the education! For the housing! And, oh, yes, - let's fight against GUNS! Will look nice on the report card.

Quote:
Contact your politicians and let them know that law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves with a concealed weapons permit. It works in the rest of the country.

Or, at the very least, ask - how much have the crime rates changed in the City lately? And how does that change compares to the national average?

Posted on: 2011/6/20 23:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Gun buy back programs are a waste of money. Anyone who is anyone knows that they will get more money if they bring it to a gun store. If it illegal then they can a lot more selling illegally again. So the majority of guns they get are junk.

Contact your politicians and let them know that law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves with a concealed weapons permit. It works in the rest of the country.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Should any of these guns that are turned in and turn out to be legal purchases that were stolen, will they be returned to their owners?

I already know the answer....

Posted on: 2011/6/19 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Because in theory, the gun buyback sounds like a good thing ...

I have yet to hear the theory.

More importantly, very often people build a theory on some assumptions that they never bother to articulate. And very often when articulated those assumptions prove to be quite erroneous. Taking down the theory with them.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I hate to say it, but gibbons70 couldn't have been more spot on when he wrote "cash for clunkers".

Why do you hate to say it? What's wrong with saying a sensible, logical thing?

Because in theory, the gun buyback sounds like a good thing but in reality, it is probably useless and a waste of money.

Maybe I don't hate to say it, I just hate the fact that my idealist theories don't have any match to reality. I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion on this thread though.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I hate to say it, but gibbons70 couldn't have been more spot on when he wrote "cash for clunkers".

Why do you hate to say it? What's wrong with saying a sensible, logical thing?

Posted on: 2011/6/19 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
It could work if some joker has left guns behind while he is in jail or away -- maybe left guns with his family or perhaps even with his kids mother or something -- in such cases perhaps these people might be inclined to turn his guns in for fast cash.

That doesn't answer the question, - "how does it make us safer". No, I mean the part where he goes to jail is ok, - I know how THAT makes us safer. The rest is unclear.

Quote:
In any event, I like seeing less guns out there.

Why?

No, seriously, why? Do you feel the same way about cars, knifes, swimming pools, electrical outlets?

If not, - what creates the difference?

Posted on: 2011/6/19 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to say it, but gibbons70 couldn't have been more spot on when he wrote "cash for clunkers". Typically all or nearly all guns turned in to a buyback program are either old heirlooms and/or total junk. The cash incentives offered under these programs are not enough to sway someone who actually plans to use one of these guns, and I can't see how they would even have a sliver of an impact on any gun-related crimes.

It is nothing more than political grandstanding - what mayor wouldn't want a picture of him standing next to a pile of guns being melted down. At least this program is being funded with donations and not tax dollars so I can't complain to city hall about it.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It could work if some joker has left guns behind while he is in jail or away -- maybe left guns with his family or perhaps even with his kids mother or something -- in such cases perhaps these people might be inclined to turn his guns in for fast cash.

In any event, I like seeing less guns out there.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 1:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
I wish someone explained to me the logic of this program.

Like, can someone give me a plausible scenario where this program would make someone safer? How would it happen?

It's basically a cash for clunkers program. If someone owns a malfunctioning or broken down old firearm, you can turn it in for a few bucks to fund a new purchase.

The program makes people safer by enticing owners of said clunkers, which could possible blow up on the user, to simply turn them in, and purchase new ones. Just like the national cash for clunker cars a few years ago, out with the unreliable, in with the new.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wish someone explained to me the logic of this program.

Like, can someone give me a plausible scenario where this program would make someone safer? How would it happen?

Posted on: 2011/6/18 20:38

Jersey City readies for gun buyback
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City readies for gun buyback

Published: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is planning to initiate its first weapons-buyback program since 2005 tomorrow, with city ministers reaching out to their congregations on Father's Day for donations to help fund the program.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy, in a press conference yesterday at City Hall, said the buyback program will hopefully result in a ?quieter, more peaceful summer? for city residents.

City officials want ?more peace, more enjoyment and certainly less violent episodes in our city this summer,? Healy said.

Healy, flanked by Police Chief Tom Comey, Police Director Sam Jefferson and a half-dozen pastors, said the city has not set a goal for the amount of donations it wants or the number of guns it seeks to get off city streets.

The $122,000 the city raised in 2005 for the last buyback program, which resulted in 897 weapons being turned in, may be unrealistic in today?s economy, the mayor said.

Comey said the buyback initiative is just the kind of program the city needs to battle crime, especially during summer months when the number of violent incidents spikes.

?We can?t arrest our way out of this problem,? said the chief. ?We have to forge a bond with our community.?
Around 25 ministers signed up to help the city with the initiative, according to city officials.

Pastor Joshua Rodriguez of Cityline Church on JFK Boulevard said ministers are an important part of this effort because they can help influence their congregations to participate.

?We have the ability to bridge the gap between the police and our families,? Rodriguez said. ?We?re earned that trust.?
The city is waiting until the fundraising is complete to set the dates residents can turn in their weapons for cash.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 14:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017