Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Does anyone know about a recent sighting of a Loch Ness monster type of creature in New York Harbor?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
We are right on the ocean!

Check out the picture (click link below):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ ... ind-55ft-sea-monster.html

A GIANT 55 foot 'sea monster' has been found washed up on a beach in China.

The beast from the deep is so badly decayed it cannot be identified.

But according to local reports from Guangdong, in the south-east of the country, it weighed at least 4.5 TONS.

One fisherman, known only as Hwang, 66, said he was astonished by the find.

People have flocked to see the creature ? despite the rotting corpse's foul stench.

It was found tangled in ropes and one theory is fisherman caught it but could not land it as it was so big.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 20:06

Re: Does anyone know about a recent sighting of a Loch Ness monster type of creature in New York Harbor?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/15 18:36
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks! It's nice to know what kind of bird that is. My daughter is too young for that book, but I'll keep it in mind for when she's older!

Posted on: 2011/6/9 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

megan2681 wrote:
Myself, daughter and later some friends saw an aquatic bird that swims near the marina in Paulus Hook - he was all black with a long beak. He would swim underwater for at least 20 - 30 seconds (I think to get away from us).

Cormorant. Great fishers. West coast natives would put a ring around their neck so they couldn't swallow fish and train the birds to fish for them.

Your daughter might enjoy the book Island of the Blue Dolphins

Posted on: 2011/6/6 1:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/15 18:36
Group:
Registered Users
Myself, daughter and later some friends saw an aquatic bird that swims near the marina in Paulus Hook - he was all black with a long beak. He would swim underwater for at least 20 - 30 seconds (I think to get away from us).

Posted on: 2011/6/6 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'Sea Monster' Discovered Beneath Brooklyn Bridge

Published May 26, 2011
FoxNews.com
NY1 / Gawker.com

Resized Image
A 'sea monster' has washed up beneath the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. At left, the creature on May 21 in a frame from a NY1 video. At right, the beast 5 days later, as seen on Gawker.com.

You might expect a cement-shoed mobster in the waters off New York -- but a sea monster?

Local newspapers and blogs have been consumed with the news that a "sea monster" has washed up at the foot of the famed Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. The seven-foot long beast, dubbed the East River Monster, was found on the Manhattan side of the bridge on May 21.

And was it ever ugly.

"It had the scales of a fish, body of a serpent, head of a pit bull and was the size of a large alligator," wrote Maureen O'Connor, a blogger on the Gawker website.

Theories ran the gamut from horse to alligator to Loch Ness beast -- or even a relative of the Montauk Monster.

Marine biologists cut through the rumors, however, calling it nothing more than a common Atlantic fish.

"We could tell it was an Atlantic sturgeon right away," Kim Durham, a rescue program director and biologist for the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation in Riverhead, N.Y., told Life's Little Mysteries.

"They have bony plates all over their bodies. There's no mistaking a sturgeon," she said.

Easy for you to say, especially when the carcass is fresh. But the East River Monster was never removed, instead remaining beneath the bridge rotting away. And several days later, the beast looks more like a monster than ever before.

A Thursday blog post on Gawker shows the deteriorating beast -- and at this point, a Riverhead Foundation spokesman agreed that the critter was far harder to explain for the ordinary passerby.

"Those scaly things? The body itself looks like a sturgeon, the skull looks kind of weird ... but maybe it's the view," Julika Wocial, rescue program supervisor for the Foundation, told FoxNews.com.

"It doesn?t really look like a sturgeon" anymore, she said. According to Wocial, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation does work with sturgeons. The DEC did not immediately respond to FoxNews.com requests for more information, however.

According to Gawker, the police had finally arrived and were awaiting the sanitation department, which would deal with the remains -- finally.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a 1995 study found that there were about 9,500 juvenile Atlantic sturgeons in the Hudson River.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/0 ... lyn-bridge/#ixzz1OR6lcumx

Posted on: 2011/6/5 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Now that's funny, I saw the same creature at a stoop. <------------------------- same creature made land !

Posted on: 2008/10/11 3:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/23 4:56
From Take a wild guess
Group:
Registered Users
I'm the biggest skeptic in the world. Usually these ?Nessie? sightings come in the form of an odd blurry shape in the background of a tourist?s family photo, disappointing monster hunters everywhere when futher inspection reveals yet another floating hunk of driftwood or a runaway inflatable raft. That being said, this photo, taken from a boat in the NY Harbor during the Labor Day weekend, shows irrefutable evidence of something huge in the harbor. Draw your own conclusions.........

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/11 3:31
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

Re: Does anyone know about a recent sighting of a Loch Ness monster type of creature in New York Har
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fasteddie what a great clip!

I like how the creature first came up on Wall Street, very realistic NYC footage - even if it was shot on a Hollywood backlot!

Resized Image

The monster on the other hand seems a little more scary than needed -- I like to think that Libby is a vegetarian and looks more like this:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/10 17:53

Re: Does anyone know about a recent sighting of a Loch Ness monster type of creature in New York Har
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Go ahead, laugh all you want. Nobody believed the world economy could crash either and now who's laughing? Huh?

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
As much as I'd love to believe there is a Plesiosaur-type creature patrolling the waters surrounding NJ, it just wouldn't make any biological sense...

Plesiosaur? Is that what these are?

Resized Image
This approximately 50 foot long creature washed ashore in Situate Harbor, Massachusetts during the night of November 16, 1970

Resized Image

Quote:

brian_em wrote:
...There is no scientific relevance with these types of "monsters", and are mostly aberrations from fisherman. And throughout history, fisherman are not know for their accurate claims...

I don't know, fishermen have often been underestimated -- they might be a truthful bunch -- I saw a few PBS type documentaries that say fisherman WERE right about Rogue Waves -- were also right about Giant Squids -- both were long thought to be fishermen stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

Posted on: 2008/10/10 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
As much as I'd love to believe there is a Plesiosaur-type creature patrolling the waters surrounding NJ, it just wouldn't make any biological sense.

There is no scientific relevance with these types of "monsters", and are mostly aberrations from fisherman. And throughout history, fisherman are not know for their accurate claims. But hey, some people do believe that they may have slipped through the KT extinction. But without any fossil remains, or any other scientific proof, I'd pass it all off as a good fisherman's story.

Even if plesiosaurs were still around today... NY harbor or the hudson wouldn't make a great place for them to live. Number one, they were "air breathing" animals. Meaning, they would have to surface like a dolphin for air. In the busy NY Harbor, more than just a few fisherman would notice... Plus, the currents and less than abundant food supply wouldn't make for a good haven for a huge apex predator.

It's probably just an eel, or a large sturgeon. Sturgeon can grow up to 12 feet. I think the record is like 19 ft or something like that. And, if you saw a sturgeon's back, you'd see right away how someone could mistake it for a "monster"...

Posted on: 2008/10/10 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Metropolis wrote: Quote:
GrovePath wrote: They explained that there is a somewhat well known sea creature that lives around the harbor -- only unlike Nessy & Champ (Champ being the the creature from Lake Champlain) this one is called Kipsy, or better Libby after the Statue of Liberty.
I'm from northern Vermont and I saw Champ when I was about 10... scared the willies out of me. It's a good tourist attraction... you can buy just about anything with CHAMP emblazoned across it with a little cartoon dinosaur. Someone needs to get on that... we need to claim the monster for NJ! Libby <3 JC! Mark.
OMG, i have this very strong memory of being a little kid going up to Vermont on a family trip and seeing a monster but the memory was never vivid enough...until NOW!! Amazing. Thank you.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Healy on my left is checking out his own loch ness monster, but forgot his microscope and tweezers !

Posted on: 2008/10/10 2:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
A number of woman have said they had seen and experienced first hand the Loch Ness monster or similar, in my pants.

Swing and a miss.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A number of woman have said they had seen and experienced first hand the Loch Ness monster or similar, in my pants.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 22:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote: They explained that there is a somewhat well known sea creature that lives around the harbor -- only unlike Nessy & Champ (Champ being the the creature from Lake Champlain) this one is called Kipsy, or better Libby after the Statue of Liberty.
I'm from northern Vermont and I saw Champ when I was about 10... scared the willies out of me. It's a good tourist attraction... you can buy just about anything with CHAMP emblazoned across it with a little cartoon dinosaur. Someone needs to get on that... we need to claim the monster for NJ! Libby <3 JC! Mark.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 22:17
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
I just stumbled upon this thread, pardon the pun. Maybe it is the economy causing these sightings. I know I see things differently now that I am poorer, saddled with my Mom's credit card bills and with my bad foot. It all makes me think of that old eighties song, Synchronicity, maybe I should get Sting on my show and ask him about these sightings.

The Police
Synchronicity Lyrics

Another suburban family morning
Grandmother screaming at the wall

We have to shout above the din of our rice crispies
We can't hear anything at all
Mother chants her litany of boredom and frustration
But we all know her suicides are fake
Daddy only stares into the distance
There's only so much more that he can take
Many miles away
Something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark
Scottish lake

Another industrial ugly morning
Tha factory belches filth into the sky
He walks unhindered through the picket lines today
He doesn't think to wonder why
The secretaries pout and preen like cheap tarts in a red light street
But all he ever thinks to do is watch
And every so called meeting with his so called superior
Is a humiliating kick in the crotch
Many miles away
Something crawls to the surface
Of a dark Scottish loch

Another working day has ended
Only the rush hour hell to face
Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes
Contestants in a suicidal race
Daddy crips the wheel and stares alone into the distance
He knows that something somewhere has to break
He sees the family home now looming in his headlights
The pain upstairs that makes his eyeballs ache
Many miles away
There's a shadow on the door
Of a cottage on the shore
Of a dark Scottish lake

Many miles away
Many miles away
Many miles away
Many miles away
Many miles away...

Posted on: 2008/10/9 17:11

Does anyone know about a recent sighting of a Loch Ness monster type of creature in New York Harbor?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Does anyone know about a recent sighting of a Loch Ness monster type of creature in New York Harbor?

Over the summer we heard that there was a new sighting(s) of a sea animal around Ellis Island -- I KNOW -- BUT we were told this by a park ranger, a few crabbers and a fisherman in Liberty State Park. They explained that there is a somewhat well known sea creature that lives around the harbor -- only unlike Nessy & Champ (Champ being the the creature from Lake Champlain) this one is called Kipsy, or better Libby after the Statue of Liberty. We thought they were kidding us, but I just googled it and what they were telling us checks out. They said it has been seen often over the years on the Hudson and is also known as Kipsy, (after Poughkeepsie) but people from around here just call it Libby.

http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Ma ... /February-2007/Road-Trip/
Excerpt:
Margaret and Dick Crenson?s ?Kipsy,? a sea serpent spotted by crew members of the Half Moon and Clearwater (so says the accompanying legend), is more than 100 feet long....?

http://www.aadet.com/article/Hudson_River
Excerpt:
"There have been reported sightings of a sea serpent living in the Hudson river called Kipsy after the city of Poughkeepsie..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River
Excerpt:
There have been reported sightings of a sea serpent living in the Hudson river called Kipsy after the city of Poughkeepsie [12]. There is a mural painted by Dick and Margaret Crenson just off Main Street in Poughkeepsie. [13] There have also been reported sightings elsewhere along the Hudson River. [14] The creature has also been known as Libby when it has been sighted around the Statue of Liberty.

Apparently there is a New York Times article about this from Long Long ago -- if anyone has access to it please post it here.

You know this could be great for tourism in Liberty State Park & for all of New York Harbor!

Posted on: 2008/10/9 15:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017