Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: H&M to open at Newport mall
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Most people that live in downtown, but work in NYC do not see downtown Jersey City on a Monday-Friday 9-5 basis. If you walk around during the day on a weekday, you'd see that CH Martin, Rainbow, the 99 cent stores are all busy with customers. That is their base. And as previously stated, the people you see getting off the PATH train at 5:30 are not the targeted audience. This town may have gentrified, but nowhere near the level people think it has.

As nice as it would be to see more and better shopping options on JC's historic shopping streets, like Newark and Central Avenues, the only realistic location for H&M is at the mall as it pulls customers from a wider area. Mr_Johnson's observations about downtown go 24/7 for other parts of town, like the Heights. JC overall is just too poor and oblivious to style, fashion, etc. to support these establishments on their own.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Most people that live in downtown, but work in NYC do not see downtown Jersey City on a Monday-Friday 9-5 basis. If you walk around during the day on a weekday, you'd see that CH Martin, Rainbow, the 99 cent stores are all busy with customers. That is their base. And as previously stated, the people you see getting off the PATH train at 5:30 are not the targeted audience. This town may have gentrified, but nowhere near the level people think it has.

People choose to live in Short Hills for a reason. A lot of people in Jersey City may even have the same income, but their lifestyles are very different. It makes sense that Macy's doesn't carry the same lines of clothes. Just like the Home Depot here in Jersey City does not have a big garden/outdoor area.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bryanc99 wrote:
@marybarr

Macy's uses very specific metrics to decide the product mix in their stores...bottom line the clothes in that store match the demographics for Jersey City. As you noted Herald Square is an easy (sometimes) PATH ride away. The JC Macy's door is not large enough to satisfy all shoppers' tastes so they cater to the majority socioeconomic level which if you remove the Johnny come late-lies downtown is not exactly white collar.

One store that serves the demographic well is Express.. I don't what it is about Express, but each time i pass by the store in full of Indians.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Shops on newark ave, the Indian sidem goes for 10K or something.. I'm thinking the mall would be 20-30K...

Posted on: 2011/5/26 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
whoever may ever take that spot is guaranteed business though. it's the first thing you'll see coming up the escalator.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 20:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
Property owners like the folks who own the giant empty space next to Dunkin' Donuts are absolutely waiting for a long-term, sure-thing tenant, like Duane Reade or KFC or something equally boring. I inquired about leasing that space last year, and the rent was (if memory serves correct) well above 12 or 13K per month. Doesn't that large amount of rent eliminate most (if not all) independent business as potential tenants?

I don't know a lot about urban redevelopment, but it seems that property owners who prefer to let their properties sit vacant for years like this contribute to Jersey City's lackluster progress.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
I'll agree with you here. I spend a considerable amount of time in Asheville, NC for my job and it boggles my mind how their downtown is sooo tiny but offers so much more in the way of shops, restaurants, and entertainment than JC does. Why can't Jersey City have successful independent businesses the way other places do?
Because of all the corrupt a-holes that make insane requirements for business to open. Atomic Wings, Barcade, Flamingo Diner, Zeppelin Hall, Torico's, Barrow St Bar. All of them have had issues with construction delays. It's almost like the city wants to deter new business. Then there's crap like the "no live music" (not even DJs!) ordinances, the stupid coin-operated amusement law that kept Barcade delayed even more, etc etc. It's #OOPS#ing stupid.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
@ Marybar

I develop apparel lines on a freelance basis for several large specialty retailers and can assure you that the merchandise mix varies from store to store, depending on socio-economic data (as another post here notes).

Aeropostale's Back-to-School merchant mix for Florida consists of only shorts while stores in the northeast will offer only pants.

Certain stores are designated for "test" merchandise - so a rack or two at some locations may have some faster styles (cut, color, fabric, printing) and merchandisers back at the home office are watching sales turn rates to determine which styles to reorder and ship to all stores.

Lastly I wanted to add that merchandisers decide what is acceptable when errors are made - so if an entire order of pants is measuring too small or large or has been mislabeled altogether - a discount can be negotiated and the merchandise will ship. When going into the dressing room for jeans in particular, it pays to take a few pairs of the same style and try them on. If it's a blow out style jean an order will be split between factories and again, the fit can be different as the factory will sometimes tilt patterns off grain to lock in better yardage.

TMI, I know - but there it is.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Much of it is the political establishment, which is why they all need to go. There are also some weird laws in effect that prohibit things that are fundamentally urban, such as having bars within X number of feet from one another, and live music in bars.

My friend went to see a band last weekend at Lucky 7's ... and the band had to STOP playing at 11:00 (yes, 11:00) because of a local ordinance. What the hell is that all about?

I for one am glad that they bands are cut off at 11, because I like Lucky 7s but usually hate the bands.

That said, there are some whacky local ordinances.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 20:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 16:10
Group:
Registered Users
@marybarr

Macy's uses very specific metrics to decide the product mix in their stores...bottom line the clothes in that store match the demographics for Jersey City. As you noted Herald Square is an easy (sometimes) PATH ride away. The JC Macy's door is not large enough to satisfy all shoppers' tastes so they cater to the majority socioeconomic level which if you remove the Johnny come late-lies downtown is not exactly white collar.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The Newport Macy's doesn't carry the same quality clothing as the Mall in Short Hills or the NYC venue. Why not? Are we second class citizens? I have actually written to company headquarters about that. It's not like I am looking for a Saks just a place where I can get clothes that are stylish and will last.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
a place like lucky's isnt much of a music venue though, and offers absolutely no soundproofing. ive never wanted my band to play there because theres just no room for it.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Much of it is the political establishment, which is why they all need to go. There are also some weird laws in effect that prohibit things that are fundamentally urban, such as having bars within X number of feet from one another, and live music in bars.

My friend went to see a band last weekend at Lucky 7's ... and the band had to STOP playing at 11:00 (yes, 11:00) because of a local ordinance. What the hell is that all about?

I've seen bands play in suburban towns until 2:00 am. Why can this stuff not exist in Jersey City?

It just doesn't make any sense.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 18:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
As for the "it's too close to Manhattan" argument for Jersey City ... then how in the world did Hoboken (1/5 of JC's size, no less) develop a fantastic walkable retail/restaurant/bar strip? Hoboken is equally as close to Manhattan.

I've wondered that myself. It seems like JC's political establishment either doesn't want or actively fights against having a modern urban appeal - functioning mass transit; more pedestrian friendly/less reliant on cars; emphasis on attractive streetscapes. We get more ugly development, more strip malls...

I'm all for H&m, though! It takes some poking around, but I have found everything from suits for work to casual sneakers there that everyone thinks I spent a lot more on!

Posted on: 2011/5/24 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I walked by around 6:30 PM to go to Gypsy Grill, and Rainbow was like the only store still open at that time. Doesn't any of the other stores want to cater to the commuters?

Commuters are clearly not their targeted demographic.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Who are these masterminds?

Quote:

spider wrote:
...anyway, the masterminds behind jersey city would rather see a row of abandoned stores.

building dept? city planners? politicians? you tell me.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by around 6:30 PM to go to Gypsy Grill, and Rainbow was like the only store still open at that time. Doesn't any of the other stores want to cater to the commuters?

Posted on: 2011/5/24 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Where is there a Strawberry on Newark Ave? I've never seen that. I didn't know they still existed, either.

I want to say it's right across from LITM...definitely around there. I don't think most people noticed because it just went from one crap store to another.

It's a Rainbow, not a Strawberry.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
^ I disagree ... I think that the vast majority of people would RATHER stay close to home, if there were a lot of great options close to home.

As for the "it's too close to Manhattan" argument for Jersey City ... then how in the world did Hoboken (1/5 of JC's size, no less) develop a fantastic walkable retail/restaurant/bar strip? Hoboken is equally as close to Manhattan.

I know I sound like a broken record because I've said this before, but Jersey City, a city of 250,000 people, has a very shameful lack of a retail/entertainment core. And it's NOT because of proximity to Manhattan (see Hoboken). So what IS the reason exactly?

All of this being said, I think JC is coming along (although very, very slowly). I don't want the Hoboken vibe. Just a few more places to go out to, that are within walking distance to one another.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
I'll agree with you here. I spend a considerable amount of time in Asheville, NC for my job and it boggles my mind how their downtown is sooo tiny but offers so much more in the way of shops, restaurants, and entertainment than JC does. Why can't Jersey City have successful independent businesses the way other places do?

Small independent clothing stores like that usually flounder even in Hoboken. There just isn't enough demand in the area for too many shops like that.

As far as the rest of it - it's slowly coming along. Part of the reason is probably that people would rather drive or PATH into Hoboken or NYC for a night out than stay local.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't hurt to dream but I tend to think downtown JC's commercial/retail landscape suffer from being too close to Manhattan and having a major mall.

Whoever would have thought that 42nd street could be turned in a family fantasy lane.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
There is no way a store like H&M would ever open a store on Newark. This is the same issue with Whole Foods...no parking, no store. This isn't NYC with tons of foot traffic and pubic transportation. The rent they'd have to pay for a huge store like the one in Manhattan would seriously prohibit profits, especially considering that the price points are pretty low. This is why stores like Gap, etc won't ever open in Hoboken either, much less downtown JC.

I just like H&M for their kid stuff.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Where is there a Strawberry on Newark Ave? I've never seen that. I didn't know they still existed, either.

I want to say it's right across from LITM...definitely around there. I don't think most people noticed because it just went from one crap store to another.

Quote:

spider wrote:
id rather see people opening up a nice clothing store or boutique themselves with similar styles on newark ave but yes an h&m would be better than strawberry or rainbow. but that's never going to happen cause people are obviously shopping at those stores keeping them in business. anyway, the masterminds behind jersey city would rather see a row of abandoned stores.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Who are these masterminds?

Quote:

spider wrote:
...anyway, the masterminds behind jersey city would rather see a row of abandoned stores.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
id rather see people opening up a nice clothing store or boutique themselves with similar styles on newark ave but yes an h&m would be better than strawberry or rainbow. but that's never going to happen cause people are obviously shopping at those stores keeping them in business. anyway, the masterminds behind jersey city would rather see a row of abandoned stores.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/24 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
why would you want to see an H&M on newark ave? how about a TGIF and olive garden too! i shop there too but it belongs in a mall.

I understand what you're trying to say here about chain stores and neighborhoods, but really? The most recent clothing store to open on Newark Ave. was a STRAWBERRY. Seriously, a Strawberry...I didn't even know those existed anymore.

Anything that could potentially set up shop on Newark Ave. that doesn't cater to the dollar store demographic should be welcomed.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know -- it would have been nice as a multi floor urban store on Newark Ave by Barcade.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/5/24 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! Now we need an old navy and gymboree to come back.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Great news, but I'd be happier if it was on Newark Ave. It might have helped revitalize that area.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 18:28

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017