Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Carmine's pizza moving to 8th & Brunswick?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Just walked past the old carmine's location at 1st and Brunswick. There is a sign up: "Pizza lounge coming soon". I don't know how I feel about a pizza "lounge" but I'm certain that dtjc does not need any more pizza establishments. But I'm glad to see that the old space won't be vacant for much longer and hopefully they can set themselves apart from the many mediocre pies around here.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSXrailfan wrote:
I call bullshit. There's a FOR LEASE sign in Carmine's window.

I have heard that the City won't give approval to building out the space on 1st & Brunswick. That's why the lease sign is out.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
I guess everyone has their favorite local pizza and we'll never all agree. I for one will keep walking past the new Carmine's right to Delenio. The pizza's good - even if it may not be James Beard award good - and the staff are friendly, and they care about making sure you enjoy your food.

For sure I'll stay a Delenio guy for the most part.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 22:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
I got a pizza one time from Carmine's, several years ago, with fresh garlic. I picked it up and ate it at my friend's apartment two blocks away while it was still fresh and hot.

For a Jersey medium-crust pizza, it was one of the best I've ever had. I was reeeeally happy with it.

So I went back a couple of weeks later and got another one: mediocre at best.

I guess I'll try them again if they move in so close to me.

If you order at a busy time you get mediocre. Other times you get amazing pizza. It is too bad they are not consistent.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I guess everyone has their favorite local pizza and we'll never all agree. I for one will keep walking past the new Carmine's right to Delenio. The pizza's good - even if it may not be James Beard award good - and the staff are friendly, and they care about making sure you enjoy your food.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I got a pizza one time from Carmine's, several years ago, with fresh garlic. I picked it up and ate it at my friend's apartment two blocks away while it was still fresh and hot.

For a Jersey medium-crust pizza, it was one of the best I've ever had. I was reeeeally happy with it.

So I went back a couple of weeks later and got another one: mediocre at best.

I guess I'll try them again if they move in so close to me.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I ordered pizza from Carmine's a few times, I thought it was good and more of a NY style pizza. Then I called for a pizza the girl who answered the phone put me on hold and never picked up. And I heard her in the background say "I know who it is". Wtf? I was ordering a pizza. I'm nice and tip decently, no clue why I was getting such a bizarre attitude.
Go to Delenio for attitude free food.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Walk_Idiot_Walk wrote:
Carmine tried to buy his current property location and the owner said no. The owner also tried to charge Carmine an exhorbitant amount of rent at his current location, so Carmine had to go.

I hear the owner now wants to build a multi-story building on the corner of Brunswick and 1st. Condos or apartments. I hope the folks in the neighborhood organize to stop him. A building of that type (with no parking) will congest a nice residential area. It would totally be out of character for a neighborhood filled with two-story townhouses.

I call bullshit. There's a FOR LEASE sign in Carmine's window.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'm kind of sick of the same-old same old around HP: pizza and bar food with--what, two or three?--other restaurants that are OK but nothing more. I wonder if that unoccupied space at Hamilton Square will be a restaurant. I'm hoping for something really creative and delicious.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All this having been said, I'm glad the space has been nicely renovated, and that a neighborhood business is going in, but again: why another pizzeria?

It's not a hugely busy area where lots of similar businesses can thrive (like a true restaurant row). It's a somewhat sleepy corner in the back end of Hamilton Park, and while drivers do use Brunswick to swing around the hood from the north, it's not Newark Avenue, Grove Street or Jersey Avenue (which is why businesses are generally on the corners, not stretched along entire blocks).

There are other restaurants on Brunswick through HamPk, but they are very different: White Star Bar a block away at 9th (serving very different pizzas and lots of other food), and Mme Claude Cafe at 4th St. (French).

But now we'll have Delenio and Carmine's a block apart. Not to mention the two "dueling pizzerias" a few blocks away on Monmouth.

Do we really eat that much pizza?

I'm sure one thing Carmine's is hoping is that they'll get people coming in from the sports fields at Enos Jones Park at the end of 8th St. -- business that, I think, is currently going to Delenio.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, I do see the light.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
We think more people is a good thing -- they will have parking and it really isn't an issue anyway -- also realize that Dixon Mills is already dense. So far more all the new apartment buildings going up has only made this area safer, nicer and more loaded with better amenities -- the area can still use new comers to counter act the low income homes built years back by Pathmark -- as well as more new retail places to counter act the old places that only catered to Ferris High School students out at lunch time.

Pathmark built low income housing? Where, and why?

"By" can also mean near. Read it again, you'll see the light.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
We think more people is a good thing -- they will have parking and it really isn't an issue anyway -- also realize that Dixon Mills is already dense. So far more all the new apartment buildings going up has only made this area safer, nicer and more loaded with better amenities -- the area can still use new comers to counter act the low income homes built years back by Pathmark -- as well as more new retail places to counter act the old places that only catered to Ferris High School students out at lunch time.

Pathmark built low income housing? Where, and why?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walk_Idiot_Walk wrote:
You obviously don't live in the neighborhood. Carmine's is a great place and a real loss for those of us who live here.

That is not what I said....and yes we do live here -- so we know Carmine's isn't going that far away.

You know how you can still get Carmines -- Walk_Idiot_Walk!

Posted on: 2011/5/19 1:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

We ? Who is we ? You obviously don't live in the neighborhood. Carmine's is a great place and a real loss for those of us who live here.

There is no way they can build underground parking for an apartment building on that corner, let alone the disruption a large construction project will cause.

BTW, didn't you say a few weeks ago you were leaving jclist ? Why are you still here ?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
Sutherland - Not for anything but what does that have to do with Carmine's moving. Do you work for the building department or something. If he's moving there then obviously it is zoned commercial or he would not be signing a lease...what a dumb question.....

Posted on: 2011/5/18 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Sutherland wrote: is that corner zoned for commercial? If not did they secure a variance? You should call the planning and zoning office to inquire.
A few years ago there were notices posted on the building regarding hearings for a variance and it sounded like a good improvement to the block. Renovations were completed just when the economy hit the fan and the unit has been empty since. Before the building was a red cinder block brick with all the windows filled in. It looked like a storage unit. The finished facade has large windows, crafted woodwork and is in step with historic look of the neighborhood. I'm sure the owner must have sunk a lot of money into the renovation and it's great that they have a business moving in. google maps street view still has the old building so you can see the difference if you stop by.
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2011/5/18 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walk_Idiot_Walk wrote:
Carmine tried to buy his current property location and the owner said no. The owner also tried to charge Carmine an exhorbitant amount of rent at his current location, so Carmine had to go.

I hear the owner now wants to build a multi-story building on the corner of Brunswick and 1st. Condos or apartments. I hope the folks in the neighborhood organize to stop him. A building of that type (with no parking) will congest a nice residential area. It would totally be out of character for a neighborhood filled with two-story townhouses.

Don't they already have a few multi condo apartment buildings right up the block past Second Street Bakery ? At least with this concept it will bring more property tax dollars into the city. As far as parking is concerned they could build a parking garage under the proposed apartment complex.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
How is Delenio's pizza, by the way? And how about Frank's?

I tried Carmine's a few years ago, was a decent, average slice from what I remember.

They're pizza is alright. Nothing special but good.
The two guys are really nice.
They actually have really good dinner menu items. Like The Marsala and francaise. Comes with mashed potatoes or veggies, or pasta. Will give Carmine's a try.
that space was renovated and empty for about 2 years, so hopefully they got a good deal.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/18 22:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/18 22:16

Re: Carmine's pizza moving to 8th & Brunswick
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
is that corner zoned for commercial? If not did they secure a variance? You should call the planning and zoning office to inquire.

I don't really know or care. I think historically most of the corners along Brunswick (and other local streets) have had little businesses on them. The ground floor of this building has always looked like a former retail space, maybe a bar or corner market.

Frankly, I'd rather see more little businesses move into these spaces near me in HamPk, instead of the "lots of glass with lots of blinds covering them" apartments they seem to get converted into all the time. Urban 'hoods are supposed to have corner stores so people can walk to them, as opposed to car-dependent bedroom suburbs.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
is that corner zoned for commercial? If not did they secure a variance? You should call the planning and zoning office to inquire.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
These days, when I eat pizza it's usually fancy-pants gourmet ultrathin-crust stuff, so I haven't had Delenio's in a while, but I remember it as being a good thin-to-medium-crust slice.

I mostly go there for:

--The panna cotte, a big appetizer consisting (I think) of broccoli rabe, canneloni beans, bread cubes, parmesan cheese and garlic. REALLY good.

--The chicken or eggplant parm dinners, usually with the whole wheat spaghetti, also very good.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sure is a lot of new stuff opening on Brunswick -- I wonder what will now move into Carmines old/existing space.

Carmines' makes a great Sicilian.

Delenio's makes a great Veggie Pie.

3 Boys' makes some good Middle Eastern food.

Franks's seems to cater more to the High School kids at lunch time.

....Happy that Victoria's just opened off Brunswick - we like the new Eco Market too -- and the new kids Gym and all the other stores now.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 20:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Just my opinion, but I think Carmine's is the best slice of the bunch in the area (Frank's, 3 Boys, Delenio, Victoria's, Pino's).

Frank's is a pretty big slice, good bang for the buck and Delenio is also pretty good, though I prefer their other menu items to their pizza.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
How is Delenio's pizza, by the way? And how about Frank's?

I tried Carmine's a few years ago, was a decent, average slice from what I remember.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It seems a little strange, given that the Delenio pizzeria and casual Italian is just a block away at Brunswick and 7th.

not as weird as Frank's and 3 brothers, or whatever they are, right next to each other on Monmouth.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 20:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
It is the same Carmine's. I live close to the current location and was walking my dog by the new space and also saw the sign. My wife gave them a call last night to ask if they were moving and they said yes. They said they were hoping for July.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 20:03

Carmine's pizza moving to 8th & Brunswick?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The rather nice corner retail space on the NE corner of 8th St. & Brunswick St. in Hamilton Park has been under various renovations for years -- in my 14 years living nearby I don't remember anything actually occupying the space. In recent years it has gotten big new windows, and just lately it was being worked on again.

Anyway, a sign now in the window says it's the "future home of Carmine's."

Could that mean Carmine's Pizza Factory, currently on Brunswick over by 1st Street in the Village, is moving to 8th?

It seems a little strange, given that the Delenio pizzeria and casual Italian is just a block away at Brunswick and 7th.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 19:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017