Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 50 Columbus Luxury Rental Building Suprasses 75% Leased In downtown Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/5 15:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Been checking out this site for a bit now and finally saw a post worth making an account. NOTE: not legal advice. I only offer this information because of my own experience and belief that landlords have been predatory against tenants with excessive charges against security deposits.

I had an issue with my security deposit moving out this summer. Property management ("PM") withheld the entire security deposit (1 1/2 months rent). The unit was 2 stories and the PM replaced all the carpeting upstairs, most of the hardwood downstairs, and made other hefty charges. My belief was there was normal wear and tear (I had lived in the unit for 4 years), so I filed a complaint in small claims court.

The complaint and summons are very easy, and NJ judiciary has a guide online http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10148_sc_motorveh.pdf. I think total filing charges are approximately 22 dollars.
A corporate landlord ("LL") is unlikely to litigate (money for attorney's fees and time constraints) so there is a good chance they'll just settle before the court date. I ended up settling with PM out of court for part of the deposit back.
Otherwise, if you have a case and documentation showing excessive charges by the LL, or if the LL is breaking security deposit laws its worth going to court b/c in certain circumstances the court offers double damages.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 23:09

Re: 50 Columbus Luxury Rental Building Suprasses 75% Leased In downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
I did. They are the absolute worst. I knew going in that they had a bad reputation and returned the apartment in pristine condition. I also documented the apartment very thoroughly upon taking possession.

They ended up charging me $600 for the most ridiculous things (to the point where I didn't have any pictures of the items from when I moved in).

-$200 for a tiny, tiny chip on one of the kitchen tiles.
-$200 for a tiny chip on the bath tub enamal
-$200 for a tiny scratch on the washing machine.

I am fairly certain all of the items they charged me for were present when I moved in, but I did not note the items on my move-in inspection (as I likely didn't notice them) and didn't take any pictures of the tiny chips / scratches as I didn't think twice about them. They were all comically small. They also tried to charge me for not having the carpet cleaned before moving out. I knew this was something they focused on and was luckily able to show them the receipt from the carpet cleaning person I hired and they reversed the charges. The worst part is I am pretty certain they didn't end up fixing any of the items they charged me for and will likely ding the next person for them.

I don't like calling people out, but property manager Erin is not a nice person and does not treat her tenants fairly. She has a bad reputation among most people I know that live there (as well as some of the employees if you ask them).

I would say that unless they are trying to get more than $800 out of you, its likely easier to just give in to them and get the rest of your deposit back. You can try to take them to small claims court and will likely win if you have a case, but its just not worth the time, money and risk that you will lose and have to pay them even more.

As you can see from their online reviews, they clearly don't care about having this reputation. I heard from someone I know still living there that they are asking for current residents to put up more money in the security deposit upon renewing leases. They are the worst!

I enjoyed living there, but would seriously think twice about recommending the building after how they handled my move out and security deposit.

I lived there a few years back. It has an awesome location, pool and gym. I didn't have the problems with my security deposit that the above poster mentioned.

My biggest issue was the draft coming through the windows in the winter--it made the apartment freeeeezing cold all the time despite very high utility bills for the heat. The windows seem to be paper thin and the building apparently has terrible insulation or none at all. Most other residents I spoke with had the same complaint to varying degrees.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 19:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I did. They are the absolute worst. I knew going in that they had a bad reputation and returned the apartment in pristine condition. I also documented the apartment very thoroughly upon taking possession.

They ended up charging me $600 for the most ridiculous things (to the point where I didn't have any pictures of the items from when I moved in).

-$200 for a tiny, tiny chip on one of the kitchen tiles.
-$200 for a tiny chip on the bath tub enamal
-$200 for a tiny scratch on the washing machine.

I am fairly certain all of the items they charged me for were present when I moved in, but I did not note the items on my move-in inspection (as I likely didn't notice them) and didn't take any pictures of the tiny chips / scratches as I didn't think twice about them. They were all comically small. They also tried to charge me for not having the carpet cleaned before moving out. I knew this was something they focused on and was luckily able to show them the receipt from the carpet cleaning person I hired and they reversed the charges. The worst part is I am pretty certain they didn't end up fixing any of the items they charged me for and will likely ding the next person for them.

I don't like calling people out, but property manager Erin is not a nice person and does not treat her tenants fairly. She has a bad reputation among most people I know that live there (as well as some of the employees if you ask them).

I would say that unless they are trying to get more than $800 out of you, its likely easier to just give in to them and get the rest of your deposit back. You can try to take them to small claims court and will likely win if you have a case, but its just not worth the time, money and risk that you will lose and have to pay them even more.

As you can see from their online reviews, they clearly don't care about having this reputation. I heard from someone I know still living there that they are asking for current residents to put up more money in the security deposit upon renewing leases. They are the worst!

I enjoyed living there, but would seriously think twice about recommending the building after how they handled my move out and security deposit.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Alena,

Not sure of your problem but NJ has very strict regulations and procedures about the return of a security deposit - with penalties if your landlord/mgmt company decides to play games with it.

A landlord CANNOT penalize you for basic wear and tear items - but they often try, particularly because they know folks around here are busy professionals who either are intimidated by the court process or don't have time to proceed with a claim.

This is a great primer on NJ rental laws:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/P ... Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

I encourage you to post your specifics here for some great feedback from other JCListers who are landlords or professionals versed on this subject. I know the basics from successfully suing an absolutely horrible landlord in court, but others here know the ropes better.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 3:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/3 3:09
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Did anybody have a problem with security deposit return for 50 Columbus?

Posted on: 2014/12/3 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/9 13:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Nice building and great location. But winters are rough. Burrrrr. Also, don't forget to factor in the high utility bill like others are saying.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 13:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/21 19:40
Group:
Registered Users
i live there now in a 900sf 1br - we both work all day and this (long) winter was rough with utils. from jan till last month anywhere from 200 - 350. Mind you we never ran the heat during the day and usually only ran it in the bedroom at night.

we like living there and it's our only real complaint - the building is drafty - you could feel the cold air coming through the outlets in the wall if you put your hand in front of them in jan and feb. we just moved there in october so I don't have any input on the summer months and AC costs- but I'm guessing it'll be the same - with the floor to ceiling glass windows the place will probably heat up like a solarium.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
I know someone in the building, and they say their bill was consistently around $300 during the winter.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know what people are currently paying for electric? Those older posts with people paying $500 - $700 are unreal.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 11:10
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
High rises have electric heat because you can't run gas lines and furnace vent lines 30 stories high - it's not economical to build like this, so unless they use a recirculating hot water system, which is expensive also, you're stuck with electric heating which is one of the most inefficient (read - EXPENSIVE) forms of heating.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Any building with electric heat is going to have high utility costs. Landlords like electric heat because the tenant is billed directly so the landlord has little exposure to rising energy costs. I learned my lesson living in Liberty Towers.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 3:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
Have things gotten better in this building as of late? Are utilities still really high?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 0:07

Re: 50 columbus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nice reference.. When I rented in avalon cove in the late nineties, tenants had similar issues in the new tower they had just built south of the original complex. $500+ bills for smallish apartments with completely uncooperative management. They ultimately created they own tenant association which was even mentioned in the jc reporter. Since I left around that time, I don't know if the initial notification letters about fixing the windows had any effect. Imho if a building is poorly insulated from the start, remediation will only partly address the problem. Knowing that I would certainly not rent in that building.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Pwens wrote: Anybody who lives or lived at 50 Columbus - what are you utility bills like per month?

Check out this website. One guy said that his bill was $700 for December.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/ ... sey-City-50-Columbus.html

Posted on: 2011/5/14 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

P.S. the demographics have changed in a bad way this year

Uh oh, did it become more Newportish or more Montgomery Gardens? PM me if you are scared to post it publicly!

Posted on: 2011/5/14 11:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/14 13:52
Group:
Registered Users
Hello. My wife and I have lived here for 3 1/2 years since the tower opened. Utility bills are a major concern. From October through March, our PSEG bill is between $200 and $400/month. Not to mention we are in a 840 sq ft one bedroom and work all day. Friends of mine that live here with a kid and two bedroom that run heat all day/night have bills north of $500-600. It is absurd. We are on the 25th floor, NW corner with great views, but gets no sun exposure. The windows have the worst insulation in creation.

The building is nice and has great amenities, but the heating/cool sucks a fat one.

P.S. the demographics have changed in a bad way this year

Posted on: 2011/5/13 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
50 Columbus has been essentially wholly leased since 2008 - how is this news - great or otherwise?

70 & 90 Columbus will be built when the market demand makes financing possible. Soon would be nice.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
great news. maybe they can finish building the other buildings and get the project done with.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 14:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 22:10
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody who lives or lived at 50 Columbus - what are you utility bills like per month?

Posted on: 2011/5/13 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
They are sort of like a loft. One large-ish living room with a private entrance on Stueben Street. Then there is a bedroom over this which is totally open to the living room below. Essentially its a glorified studio with a separate sleeping area on the second floor. Kind of spacious. Also they have private entrances into the garage. The spaces remind of a retail space that was converted into apartments.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 15:26

50 columbus
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/13 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know any information about the 5 or 6 apartments behind 50 Columbus/Club H in that parking garage that face/are on Steuben Street?

I've always been curious.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 14:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/14 13:52
Group:
Registered Users
I live there. The building is for the most part full. People that say it is 200/400 are incorrect. It's a nice place to live. Amenities are great, and the price is right. Parking prices are about average.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 22:40

Re: 50 Columbus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Place sounds liike a nightmare from JCND_loving's post

My take on Post 1:
3/4 leased....that's 300 out of 400 apartments.
200 RESIDENTS///assume 2 residents per apartment, a good estimate.
Thus 100 apartments occupied.

In what universe do realtors expect is to believe 200 apartments aer leased and unoccupied????? This is NOT Majorica!

Again realtor-fantasy land...we should stop readly repeating SPAM like that. Let them pay the webmaster for ads.

First post is over two years old... I live across the street and the place looks quite full these days from what I can see. My friends who live there are very happy.

I'm curious to try Teppan, too, looks pretty nice. Sounds like the parking garage isn't great though.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Place sounds liike a nightmare from JCND_loving's post

My take on Post 1:
3/4 leased....that's 300 out of 400 apartments.
200 RESIDENTS///assume 2 residents per apartment, a good estimate.
Thus 100 apartments occupied.

In what universe do realtors expect is to believe 200 apartments aer leased and unoccupied????? This is NOT Majorica!

Again realtor-fantasy land...we should stop readly repeating SPAM like that. Let them pay the webmaster for ads.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 18:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Teppan Japanese/Hibachi

Soft opening tonight... Grand Opening on Monday 4/19!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/13 19:09

Re: 50 Columbus Parking RATE HIKE vs Service DIVE!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like the Japanese restaurant at 50 Columbus (on Warren St.) is close to opening - maybe a month away?

Posted on: 2009/11/15 17:06

50 Columbus Parking RATE HIKE vs Service DIVE!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/16 23:22
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone tell me why rates are going up AGAIN in this building.

As far as I can tell if I am going to pay more I should be getting something in return.
For each of the rental increases perhaps the garage could have been hosed down once for each of the times the rent has increased.

The parking garage continuously has..

1. Garbage cans filled to the brim
2. Floors that look like Pompeii after Mt. Vesuvius erupted.
3. Buttons on the elevator that do not work.

I have refrained from complaining about this but enough is enough.

I want this on record with the building and I will alert the garage management also.

I am going to put up flyers informing people to find this blog and sign a petition of complaint. I also think all reserved spot patrons should reject there reserved spots, (myself included)
The 50$ they will loose from the majority certainly offsets the $15 they will get from the increase.

Provide your:
Name, Apt #, and reserved space # if you have.

1. Rasjhika, 2201, 94-22?

Posted on: 2009/9/17 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad the restaurant isn't in the Bank location. What a crappy place for a bank - does nothing for the block to sitck a bank on that corner!

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:54

50 Columbus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a sign over the weekend - a new restaurant called Teppan is opening soon at 50 Columbus (around the corner from the new Chase branch). Teppan will be a Japanese hibachi place. Too bad, would have been nice to see something different since there are a few Japanese places already downtown and Sawa a few blocks away, although who knows when (if?) Sawa will open?

Posted on: 2008/11/17 15:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017