Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New York Times /THE HUNT: Arizona Transplants Survive Sticker Shock & Rent Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Hey spider, I guess I should clarify my post. I don't think the store itself is a POS. In fact, the times I was in there I thought their products were fine. I like Shoprite as a chain. In fact, if management fired all the POS people that work at the Marin Ave Shoprite, I think it would actually be a really nice place. And I agree with you Gibbons....such trials and tribulations.....why don't we give these jobs to people who actually want to work and save their homes?

Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:43

Re: New York Times /THE HUNT: Arizona Transplants Survive Sticker Shock & Rent Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
the shoprite in jersey city is a dream compared to any key foods, food dimensions, associated, etc in brooklyn. you have no idea how good we have it. my girlfriend was shocked that our shoprite even has a natural food aisle. you people need to be so pampered.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
LOL@CSURugbyHooker

Shoprite on Marin is the by far and large the biggest POS supermarket I've ever had the displeasure of stepping foot in

Then you need to visit the Old Colony Pathmark to see true skank. My only problem with SR is the sleepy, slow motion checkout clerks.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 16:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Such trials and tribulations....meanwhile people are loosing their homes across the country......

Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
LOL@CSURugbyHooker

Shoprite on Marin is the by far and large the biggest POS supermarket I've ever had the displeasure of stepping foot in...cue the bulldozer and wrecking ball...NOW!

Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
How many ads for 70 Greene and 77 Hudson have run in the New York Times Real Estate section? Yeah, its a good bet there is a correlation between happy stories about couples finding what they really want in any given building and the amount of the ad buy.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSURugbyHooker wrote:
To each their own. If they have high standards and want high rise living in Paulus Hook, then merry christmas to them. Just because it's not what you or I want doesn't mean that we should take pot shots at them. Also, if they're shopping at Whole Foods, I'm sure they would find the natural and organic offerings at ShopRite and A&P to be substandard at best. The ShopRite on Marin is the 5th Gate of Hell and I wouldn't be surprised if It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia filmed an episode here due to the 'eclectic' cast of characters to be seen at all hours of the day at that place.
sometimes I just really need a stick of butter at 2am, alright?

Posted on: 2011/4/19 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

spider wrote:
my apartment is bigger and more than half the price. oh but this is two gay guys with a cat and high standards.

More than what price, if it's what they paid then is it a dollar more or even more ?

i guess i meant less than half of what they're paying. they are paying $3315+$50 for a 1,000 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment. mine is 3br and roughly 1,200 sq ft for $1400 a few blocks from grove path.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
my apartment is bigger and more than half the price. oh but this is two gay guys with a cat and high standards.

More than what price, if it's what they paid then is it a dollar more or even more ?

Posted on: 2011/4/18 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, u know its the NYT. Manhattan is the center of their universe.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 20:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
I completely understand where you're coming from and I blame the NYT for printing garbage stories like this. Their "all-day" shopping experience can be mitigated by just using a zipcar and driving to Edgewater or Ridgewood Whole Foods. They won't be in line all day and those stores are much larger and offer more selection than the tiny NYC stores. Common sense stuff that gets lost on the ignorant, but like I said, to each their own.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
isn't there an upscale market at the base of their building? and yeah yeah to each their own, but i dont have to censor my feelings on people who make too much money and still whine about everything.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
There are trade-offs in life. Shop-Rite may not be as classy as Whole Foods, but I love their prices. I shop around - Pathmark, Shop Rite, A&P, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Duane Reade.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 20:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
To each their own. If they have high standards and want high rise living in Paulus Hook, then merry christmas to them. Just because it's not what you or I want doesn't mean that we should take pot shots at them. Also, if they're shopping at Whole Foods, I'm sure they would find the natural and organic offerings at ShopRite and A&P to be substandard at best. The ShopRite on Marin is the 5th Gate of Hell and I wouldn't be surprised if It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia filmed an episode here due to the 'eclectic' cast of characters to be seen at all hours of the day at that place.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Their loss, I'm sure.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
they don't need our support and i guarantee none of us will even cross paths with them.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 17:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/18 17:11
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, nice job making new people to the city feel welcome. Seriously, though, I understand people being sarcastic and I also understand people judging the type of residents in Paulus Hook, but I personally think it is a shame. Residents of Jersey City should welcome the fact that people are moving to their city, regardless of what neighborhood they choose, lifestyle, etc.

-Barry

Posted on: 2011/4/18 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sit tight guys....Whole Foods is coming! lol

Posted on: 2011/4/18 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/18 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Dollars to donuts they haven't crossed Marin or Columbus.

bingo

Posted on: 2011/4/18 11:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Dollars to donuts they haven't crossed Marin or Columbus.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NearyGirl wrote:
On adjusting to city life: "There is no real grocery store within walking distance, so 'half our day is spent at Whole Foods.'"

Were they able to walk to a supermarket back in Mesa, Arizona? I doubt it.

Anyway, the NYT's "Hunt" articles are always good for a few laughs. Thanks, GrovePath. ;)

GoogleMaps puts the walk to ShopRite at .8 mi & 15 minutes. Are they infirm? They appear young and healthy.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 2:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/19 20:33
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
On adjusting to city life: "There is no real grocery store within walking distance, so 'half our day is spent at Whole Foods.'"

Were they able to walk to a supermarket back in Mesa, Arizona? I doubt it.

Anyway, the NYT's "Hunt" articles are always good for a few laughs. Thanks, GrovePath. ;)

Posted on: 2011/4/18 1:11
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

New York Times /THE HUNT: Arizona Transplants Survive Sticker Shock & Rent Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The New York Times -- THE HUNT

Arizona Transplants Survive Sticker Shock

By JOYCE COHEN
March 31, 2011

Resized Image

WHEN Stephen Caesar and Ryan Lathrum planned their move to New York from Arizona, they figured they could bank on doubling their rent and (at the very least) halving their space. In Mesa, a suburb of Phoenix, they were paying $1,500 a month for a three-bedroom, three-bathroom house.

Express and Mr. Lathrum as a student adviser and planner for Arizona State University.

A year ago, Mr. Caesar, who is from Accra, Ghana, and graduated from Howard University in Washington, was offered a promotion and a chance to relocate. The couple, who are in their mid-30s, couldn?t resist. So they started hunting for a cat-friendly rental with two bedrooms (one for visiting family and friends), two bathrooms (one for guests and Chloe?s litter box) and a washer-dryer. They had little idea of what to expect.

On one foray to the city last summer they walked into a storefront real-estate office, where the agent patiently explained that they would be unable to get two bedrooms and two bathrooms for $3,000 a month.

?He was really friendly to us and really honest,? Mr. Lathrum said. ?The conversation was eye-opening, and it was definitely going to be a huge culture shock for us coming here.?

The agent took them to Stuyvesant Town, where two-bedrooms were around $3,900 a month and one-bedrooms around $2,900. The setting seemed institutional, and the apartments scarily small. ?We knew we were going to have to deal with space, but I didn?t think it was going to be that bad,? Mr. Caesar said. ?At that point, I started sweating.?

Mr. Caesar kept hearing ?the same kind of speech? from agents and friends: ?That you are not going to spend much time at home, that everyone eats out.? Apartments were for sleeping and showering, they told him. But he didn?t buy it.

The couple were unhappy to learn they would almost certainly not be able to rent a place with a washer and dryer. They would be lucky to get into a building with a laundry room. Mr. Lathrum does the laundry, so he braced himself for weekend mornings at the laundromat. ?That is just part of the lifestyle,? he said. ?It is just one thing we are going to have to get used to.?

Mr. Caesar?s future colleagues steered him to the financial district, within walking distance of the office. So, on another trip, the two checked out buildings there, including the 24-story 10 Hanover Square. A one-bedroom with a home office was in the mid-$3,000s.

They were glad that most such buildings included a gym. But the structures also looked and felt like what they were ? converted office buildings, often with little light. ?There was nothing homey? about them, Mr. Lathrum said.

They began to wonder whether they should stay in Arizona. Mr. Lathrum, a graduate of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, had not yet landed a job in New York. But Mr. Caesar?s younger brother, Gifford Caesar, had just started a job in the city. At a colleague?s suggestion, he had moved to Jersey City, renting a one-bedroom in Liberty Towers, a high-rise rental building.

?My brother sent me a text saying it is so nice here, it is almost as nice as Georgetown in D.C.,? Mr. Caesar said. When the couple checked out Jersey City, they agreed. They weren?t keen on the two-bedroom layouts available at Liberty Towers, so Mr. Caesar?s brother pointed them toward 70 Greene Street, also a high-rise rental tower. A few blocks away, it was completed just a year ago.

?My brother said it was nice and too pricey, and my brother exaggerates sometimes, so I didn?t know whether to believe him or not,? Mr. Caesar said.

A two-bedroom, two-bathroom unit was, at $3,315 a month plus a ?pet rent? of $50 a month, over their budget. The size was what they expected, just over 1,000 square feet. The building had not only a gym but an outdoor pool. Best of all, the unit came with a stacked washer and dryer.
?I was ecstatic,? Mr. Lathrum said. They decided the place was so nice it was worth the cost. Mr. Lathrum was hired as an executive recruitment coordinator, also at American Express.

Resized Image
Apartments in Stuyvesant Town seemed ?scarily small.?

Resized Image
10 Hanover Square in the Financial District was not ?homey.?

A recently updated, free app offering in-depth property search tools and mobile features to help you navigate the real estate market.

Resized Image
70 Greene Street in Jersey City got high marks on the wish list.

Shortly after their arrival last winter, the couple were awakened by a loud rumbling noise. ?I thought it was an earthquake,? Mr. Caesar said.

The noise was coming from the trash chute. ?You can hear the garbage coming down from the 49th floor to the bottom,? Mr. Lathrum said. ?I like to think our trash doesn?t make as much noise because we put ours in a garbage bag and tie it and drop it. Some people, you can tell, take their garbage can and dump it.? The racket sent Chloe scurrying beneath the furniture.

Kathryn Porpiglia, senior leasing consultant for the owner, Equity Residential, said that because of complaints, the building allows trash-chute use only between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m., which has helped. Now, when Chloe hears the rumble, ?she opens up her eyes and goes right back to sleep,? Mr. Lathrum said.

Like their cat, they are adjusting to city life. There is no real grocery store within walking distance, so ?half our day is spent at Whole Foods and it drives me crazy because the weekends fly by here in the city,? Mr. Lathrum said. ?We live in this exciting city and there is so much to do here, why would we spend half our day grocery shopping??

They are now having food delivered by FreshDirect, though on their way home they often stop at the Whole Foods in TriBeCa.

?I am the type that likes to touch the food and pick it out myself,? said Mr. Caesar, who every Sunday cooks a meal from a different part of the world. ?I used to go to Costco and buy in bulk because I had enough storage, and I don?t have that here.?

And every Friday, they take turns picking a restaurant, in Jersey City or elsewhere, as a way of exploring their new turf.

Mr. Lathrum, who does the cleaning, misses having a garbage disposal.

Maybe the lack of a garbage disposal ?is an East Coast thing,? Mr. Caesar said. ?That surprised us but, again, we have to adopt as part of adopting to a new environment.?

Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017