Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in Maplewood several times a week and do every bit of my grocery shopping at the Millburn/Union WF. It's like going to a different planet. Ultra clean. Spacious. Product offering I'm looking for. Orderly and friendly check out that never has more than a two or three minute wait (that alone would probably offset the extra time you spend driving out there.). There is also a Target next to it and a Home Depot about a 1/4 mile down the same road. Vastly different experiences.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/1/30 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Being an Oregonian transplanted to JC, I can tell you that building and operating a store in Medford would be a cake walk compared to here. Lots of wide open space, eager contractors, well educated people hungry for work, and right off I-5 which is a major corridor for TJs distribution routes. Alos I dont think a Medford mayor ever went to jail for corruption as Oregon politics is quite clean.

Having said that and being a frequent traveler to TJs in Edgewater (nightmare drive) and 23rd St (hate the crowd) I really hope TJs can figure out a location here soon. In my perfect world it would be Pathmark going out of biz and replaced by TJs but i know that wont happen...

Posted on: 2013/1/30 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
It seems like the Lackawanna or somewhere else in that area between JC and Hoboken would be perfect for TJs. You have downtown JC, Hoboken, and even NYers who might come in because the store would have parking and they could load up. But maybe that's not enough. TJs may be looking at the surrounding towns (Newark, etc) and thinking there's not enough affluence there. They may be looking at the percentage of residents with cars and wondering if the light rail would be enough to bring people in. Personally, I find it a hassle to go all the way to Edgewater for TJs, but I do go. TJs may look at the people who are willing to drive from JC to Edgewater and decide that covers it.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Brewster if TJ did come to JC where do you think they should put their store?

Next to Carlo's in the Lackawannna. Walking distance to the Light rail and Newport and plenty of parking. Parking is the big problem for siting that kind of store Downtown and in Hoboken. Otherwise the Boriquen storefront on Jersey would be good, that space is huge. But it would be a parking disaster.

WECIB: Density means customers nearby who come frequently. 100K wealthy downtowners and Hobokeners within a 10 minute drive makes for a much more profitable store, even with higher rent, than a store where people need to drive an hour to get there. People close to a TJ's often use it as their primary grocery.

yes, I get how population density works. i also get that Trader Joe's has built a successful business model for a reason and it's probably because they aren't morons. and for sure, there is more to a successful store than population density. costs matter. and hell, they may already be planning a move into JC - we don't know.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:

Next to Carlo's in the Lackawannna. Walking distance to the Light rail and Newport and plenty of parking. Parking is the big problem for siting that kind of store Downtown and in Hoboken. Otherwise the Boriquen storefront on Jersey would be good, that space is huge. But it would be a parking disaster.

WECIB: Density means customers nearby who come frequently. 100K wealthy downtowners and Hobokeners within a 10 minute drive makes for a much more profitable store, even with higher rent, than a store where people need to drive an hour to get there. People close to a TJ's often use it as their primary grocery.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
TJ's marketing execs are morons. Period. My MIL just got one in her southern Oregon town. Lets look at the stats, but because the town of Medford itself is so F***ing small (74,907), I use the county stats.

Jackson County OR: Population 203,206; Density 73/sq mi; median household income $36,461

Jersey City: pop 247,597; Density 16,736.6/sq mi; median household income $37,862

So, Mr TJ's MBA, how the F**k does one conclude the better market is the one with less people, less money per person, and them scattered over 2,785 sq mi vs JC's nearly densest in the nation 15 sq mi? And that's setting aside for the moment over 350,000 more people in Hudson county's 62 sq mi.

Morons.

morons? not sure if serious. surely there's more to it than just population density. and i think they have a proven track record of opening successful stores, no?

Posted on: 2013/1/30 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Quote:
So, Mr TJ's MBA, how the F**k does one conclude the better market is the one with less people, less money per person, and them scattered over 2,785 sq mi vs JC's nearly densest in the nation 15 sq mi? And that's setting aside for the moment over 350,000 more people in Hudson county's 62 sq mi.

The same amount of money has different value in NYC suburb vs Oregon.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
TJ's marketing execs are morons. Period. My MIL just got one in her southern Oregon town. Lets look at the stats, but because the town of Medford itself is so F***ing small (74,907), I use the county stats.

Jackson County OR: Population 203,206; Density 73/sq mi; median household income $36,461

Jersey City: pop 247,597; Density 16,736.6/sq mi; median household income $37,862

Morons.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Morons.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Whole Foods will NEVER come to Jersey City! The best you could hope for is a Trader Joe's, and they don't have any plans for a Jersey City location anytime soon!

Posted on: 2013/1/30 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
It's it coming bro. This is no Union Square!

Posted on: 2013/1/29 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just listened to a podcast interview with the CEO of WF and he said when deciding to open a store it is based on the most dense area of college graduates.

I am currently looking at some old data for Jersey City 2008 where the most college graduates in Jersey City are located in the Journal Square area near Little India, is there any new data with college graduate info or is this info unchanged?

Posted on: 2013/1/29 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Gosh, if they can build a WF in Detroit, why not JC?

http://www.freep.com/article/20110404 ... etroit-s-Midtown-district

Posted on: 2011/4/5 6:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/6 14:49
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to chime in to remind people about Subia's Organics. I admit I was not all hepped up on them when they first opened but I have been going there all the time recently. Their prepared food is awesome (love the Raw Salad, Veggie Chili, and Quinua Tabouli and Hummus. While they are preparing it you can browse around and shop for some stuff to take home. It is not huge but it is "local" run (a term integral in the new food movement) and they really do have a lot of stuff in there.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Did you see the delivery map? One of the boundaries is the Mill Creek Aqueduct. Which moron came up with that name? It is not any map I've seen, and it is not on the internet.

On another note:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/index0401.php

Posted on: 2011/4/1 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scout99 wrote:
I noticed on the PATH today that Whole Foods has now started DELIVERY to JC. So that's a start! Maybe they are doing it to gauge how much demand is here.

(BTW the delivery fee is $15)

Interesting development in the "Bring Whole Foods to Jersey City" saga -- thanks for sharing, scout99 (and heights and NJNJ)!

If anyone's curious, there's a mention of the new $14.95 delivery service on the Whole Foods NYC Twitter page.

Also, the just-launched deliveries from Whole Foods' Tribeca location to Jersey City are mentioned in the following Downtown Express article from earlier this month.

In addition, there's a recent shout-out in this Tribeca Citizen blog as well.

Enjoy!

Posted on: 2011/3/22 2:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/1 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed on the PATH today that Whole Foods has now started DELIVERY to JC. So that's a start! Maybe they are doing it to guage how much demand is here.

(BTW the delivery fee is $15)

Posted on: 2011/3/21 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a vegetarian and never doubted that plants are also living things trying to survive like animals. But I prefer eating plants and know that the meat industry is one of the biggest energy drains on the planet. The amount of water, electricity, and fuel used to raise an animal, slaughter it, then package and ship it to our grocery stores is mind boggling. To me, the words humane and kill do not make any sense together either. Caged or free range, it's life was still ended for a meal. I don't know why one way makes people feel any better.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be trying Havenwood farm this year without the csa membership. It'll probably involve a country drive out to Newton, NJ.
http://havenwoodfarms.net/

In the past I've bought (ordered ahead online) great pork, veal and cheese from Bobolink at Union Square
http://www.cowsoutside.com/
and wonderful hens from one of the vendors at the Olde Lafayette Village Sunday farmers market in Sussex County, NJ (lots of stuff out that way).
http://www.localharvest.org/olde-lafa ... lage-farmers-market-M5836

I haven't tried any of the meats at the local farmer's markets. It doesn't really seem like there are any vendors that sell that type of thing. Maybe we're too far from the farms?

Posted on: 2011/3/21 14:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Great question, no I'm not a pain in the *** who ruins everyone's dinner out. I actually cook at home most of the time and try to stick to fish when out, but I don't drive myself insane with it, I just do the best I can. And you are absolutely right-- it is pretty hard to eat out and eat humanely-- which is not the same thing as organic-- organic won't be raised in factory conditions, but surprisingly, it does not mean free roaming, and even free roaming does not necessarily mean pasture raised. The whole thing is terribly confusing as there are no consistent labels-- one reason I appreciate Whole Foods is that they have a new system where they label, 1-5 (5 is best), how humanely raised a particular product is. You can buy grass fed beef raised in NJ that is a #4. Chicken is another story-- their highest is a #2-- I can't recall exactly what it meant, something like access to outdoors, but not necessarily taking advantage of the access. The meat guy said they hoped consumer demand would drive the suppliers' practices farther up the scale than they are currently willing to provide.
I would love to find a local farm and just buy from there (provided I don't have to purchase huge amounts in bulk to store in my tiny freezer). If anyone has any ideas please post.
I haven't been to the fake coop store (because it rankles me) but I would bite the bullet and even overpay if they can get something better than what is available from Whole Foods.

And sorry for the bad link in my last post, just google, "No Face, but Plants Like Life too" and NY Times (from March 14) and send to your favorite vegetarian. Perhaps they would like to consider fruitarianism, at least the subset that only eat fallen fruit.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 2:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You're right-- I absolutely do feel better about eating animals that have been treated humanely-- I think animals are part of the food chain and am not a vegan at all (who are mistaken if they think plants do not also feel pain http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/science/15food.html). However, all animals deserve to be treated with respect, even those that eventually become part of the food chain.
I know my cow/chicken had a happy life roaming a pasture while yours was squashed in a little pen where it could not move, eating god knows what and shot up with antibiotics from all the diseases. But hey, you saved a couple bucks. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2011/3/18 20:35

Re: Whole Foods delivery to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure if he'd said "romaine lettuce" that would now be the elitist food. REAL AMERICANS EAT ICEBERG.

Yo small scale farming though, besides you know, feel-good chickens or whatever, does have the added bonus of being a bit safer. Factory farmed chickens and cows often wallow in their own shit and get fed a whole lot of weird stuff which can lead to e coli and salmonella infections and junk like that.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 19:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
What is it with people saying arugula is a yuppie or elitist food? It's just a vegetable like spinach or lettuce. It's not like some freaking exotic fruit from asia or a specialty grain from South America. It's god damn arugula. Look at this shit
It's just a god damn vegetable.

CatDog,
I think arugala got labelled as a yuppie or elitist food in the '08 election because Obama made the mistake of mentioning it as a crop someone was growing when he was in Iowa. I have always found this hysterical because I associate arugula with old-school Italian types, like my coworker Angela, born and raised in JC and in her mid 60s. She loves the stuff.

Has anyone seen the movie My Blue Heaven starring Steve Martin? It's really funny. Anyway, he plays a low level gangster who gets relocated to a Southern California suburb through the witness protection program. The following is a scene from his first visit to the local supermarket.

Supermarket Manager: Can I help you find something?
Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: Arugula. I haven't had arugula in six weeks.
Supermarket Manager: What's that?
Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: It's a vegetable.

It's much funnier in the film, because of Steve Martin's over-enunciation of the words "arugula" and "vegetable." The point is: the health-nut, yuppie Californians don't know about arugula, but the uneducated criminal (hardly an elitist) demands it. I suppose my point is that arugula was an Italian vegetable until it became an elitist vegetable thanks to the crazy political climate of the '08 election.

Must confess, I don't care much about Whole Foods. Although I do understand that people might like to eat meat that wasn't raised in factory farms for various reasons: their own health, the environment, and animal rights. I don't understand attacking someone because they wish to direct their $ toward better farming practices, meat or produce.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For people with allergies (dairy, gluten, nuts, nuts, etc) they carry a huge range of specialty items. They also have things like by-the-pound rice, beans, cous-cous, wheat, and other junk which is pretty nice.

Most of it is definitely catering to the organic/free-range/whatever else. But they do have some nice stuff for good prices that can be hard to find elsewhere.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't realize status had anything to do with the interest in humanely raised meat and animal welfare, which is the only reason I shop at Whole Foods. If you would prefer to support mass market farming where animals are confined to tiny cages and live miserable, stress filled lives go right ahead-- while it may say something about you, that does not place you in any particular level of status. I don't accept that people cannot "afford" humanely raised meats either, it is simply a matter of prioritizing what's important to you.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
You can get your fix of arugula and other assorted and marked-up organics at Hudson Greene and Liberty Towers and several of the small grocers in the downtown area, as well as the new co-op in Hamilton Park.
What is it with people saying arugula is a yuppie or elitist food? It's just a vegetable like spinach or lettuce. It's not like some freaking exotic fruit from asia or a specialty grain from South America. It's god damn arugula. Look at this shit

Resized Image
Wow. In order to eat that you MUST be an upper-class liberal white person.

Resized Image
I've never seen anything like it! Was it organically grown in Chile by independent farmers?

No. No it #OOPS#ing wasn't. It's just a god damn vegetable.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jaybee wrote:
This is whole foods requirements for a site to be considered (cut and paste from whole food website)

?200,000 people or more in a 20-minute drive time
?25,000-50,000 Square Feet
?Large number of college-educated residents
?Abundant parking available for our exclusive use
?Stand alone preferred, would consider complementary
?Easy access from roadways, lighted intersection
?Excellent visibility, directly off of the street
?Must be located in a high traffic area (foot and/or vehicle)

I can't personally think of a location that would fit all of these requirements. All the places that have plenty of parking in downtown aren't in high traffic areas and any places that do have high traffic don't have a lot of parking.

If you know of a site that might be of interest to Whole Foods you can find the person to contact by following the below link and finding the person responsible for New Jersey

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pdfs/brokerlist.pdf
Kinda hard to have a standalone building with a huge parking lot that also gets high foot traffic.

Of course, I don't think they're super strict about it. There wouldn't be a single Whole Foods in Manhattan if abundant parking were really a necessity.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 14:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/3 17:56
Group:
Registered Users
This is whole foods requirements for a site to be considered (cut and paste from whole food website)

?200,000 people or more in a 20-minute drive time
?25,000-50,000 Square Feet
?Large number of college-educated residents
?Abundant parking available for our exclusive use
?Stand alone preferred, would consider complementary
?Easy access from roadways, lighted intersection
?Excellent visibility, directly off of the street
?Must be located in a high traffic area (foot and/or vehicle)

I can't personally think of a location that would fit all of these requirements. All the places that have plenty of parking in downtown aren't in high traffic areas and any places that do have high traffic don't have a lot of parking.

If you know of a site that might be of interest to Whole Foods you can find the person to contact by following the below link and finding the person responsible for New Jersey

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pdfs/brokerlist.pdf

Posted on: 2011/3/18 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Because WF would need a parking lot in this area and there aren't many locations that would be able to accomodate that.

I agree, but there's been locations and new construction available were they interested. Currently The Lackawanna Center is looking for major retail tenants to join the Cake Boss. Perfect location to capture customers from both towns. If they ever build a Jersey & 18th HBLR stop, it'd be very convenient to transport. As is it would be an 18 minute walk from Pavonia.

http://lackawannacenter.com/retail.php

Posted on: 2011/3/18 0:22

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017