Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 16 »

Re: Unleashed Mastiffs Attack JC Man
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, every time I call Judge Kevin Callahan's chambers, they have no information whatsoever about this case. They show the case as being active but don't know when the next date of a hearing is or any kind of status. I don't get it.

In any case, I'm glad that www.nj.com is keeping this case alive and I want to keep it alive on jclist.com.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
From NJ.com
Link to Article

The lives of two South African Boerboels were spared after the dogs committed several attacks in Jersey City because their owner agreed to move them out of Jersey City. But when the dogs were found in her home in January, she may have sealed their fate.

"I don't know if there is a solution other than their destruction," Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said Friday of the large dogs belonging to Susan Kolb. "It might be, unfortunately, a case where the dogs will have to be destroyed."

After a series of attacks in 2009, Jersey City officials impounded the dogs under the state's Vicious Dog Law and they faced possible euthanization. Kolb went to trial to defend the dogs and as part of an agreement reached with the city on May 15, 2009, she promised to remove them from the jurisdiction.

On Jan. 17 this year, Jersey City police got a 911 call from Kolb's neighbor saying Kolb's husband was being attacked by two dogs but when police knocked on Kolb's door they were told there was no problem, officials said.

Jersey City Animal Control investigated and the municipal court issued a search and seizure warrant for the Kolb residence. On Jan. 28, police executed the warrant and seized the dogs, Jumba and Imani, and arrested Kolb on outstanding warrants for unpaid fines, officials said.

Kolb was then charged with contempt of court for violating the order of Municipal Court Judge Nestle Rodriguez to send the dogs away. Kolb, who had promised to send the dogs to California, faces up to 18 months behind bars if convicted in Superior Court.

A second municipal court trial would be necessary to determine if the dogs are "vicious" before they could be put down. Kolb's husband has apparently retained a lawyer to defend the dogs, official said.

"God forbid if one of these dogs should mall a child," DeFazio said. "We can't be in the position to allow that. We are not of a mind to say we will move the dogs to a rural area because we might be transferring the danger to someone else."

The dogs attacked and injured Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, on Jan. 19, 2009, at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive, police said.

James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked by the dogs on Jan. 9, 2009 at Warren and Morris streets.

And on Sept. 21, 2008, at a park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the dogs were unleashed when they knocked down a woman carrying her 6-month-old granddaughter.

Kolb appeared in municipal court on Friday for a status hearing on the charges against her. The next hearing is set for May 6. Her attorney could not be reached for comment.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

purjed wrote:
Not behind bars yet. Just saw her on the PATH this morning. Really biting my tongue as I walk by.

I can think of a few choice words for her. Wonder why no bail needed to be posted, as she disregarded the previous court order?

I can only hope the civil case continues and the three different plaintiffs bankrupt her. That way she can't afford to get any new dogs in the future.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 2:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
Not behind bars yet. Just saw her on the PATH this morning. Really biting my tongue as I walk by.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City woman back in court on charges that she kept dogs she was ordered to give up after several attacks in 2009

Saturday, March 05, 2011
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Jersey City woman ordered to give up her dogs in 2009 after they attacked several people was back in Jersey City Municipal Court yesterday on charges she still had the dangerous South African boerboels after being ordered to give them up, officials said.

Susan Kolb appeared before Judge Nesle Rodriguez on the city charge and for old leash law violations yesterday, but the judge said the contempt allegations will be heard in Superior Court because the Hudson County Prosecutor has also charged her with that offense.

She could face up to 18 months behind bars on the contempt charge if convicted in Superior Court of disregarding the 2009 order by Rodriguez to get rid of the dangerous dogs she promised would be sent to California after a string of Jersey City attacks.

"We will let the process work its way out," said Kolb's Attorney, Gerald Miller of Jersey City, after yesterday's brief hearing.

After the attacks in 2009, Jersey City impounded the dogs under the state Vicious Dog Law and they faced possible euthanization. Kolb went to trial to defend the dogs and as part of an agreement reached May 15, 2009, they were ordered removed from the jurisdiction.

On Jan. 17, Jersey City police got a 911 call from Kolb's neighbor saying Kolb's husband was being attacked by two dogs. When police knocked on Kolb's door they were told there was no problem, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Leo Hernandez said.

Then Jersey City Animal Control got more information and the municipal court issued a search and seizure warrant for the Kolb residence. On Jan. 28, police executed the warrant and seized the dogs, named Jumba and Imani, and arrested Kolb on outstanding warrants for unpaid fines, Hernandez said. That led to the contempt charges.

Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, was injured on Jan. 19, 2009 at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked on Jan. 9, 2009 at Warren and Morris streets. On Sept. 21, 2008 at a park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the dogs were reportedly unleashed when they knocked down a woman carrying her 6-month-old granddaughter.

Rodriguez said the leash law violations would be held in abeyance until the more serious matter is settled. She set April 8 for a status hearing to see where the case stands.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City woman accused of defying judge's order to relinquish dangerous dogs

Friday, March 04, 2011, 12:29 PM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City woman ordered to give up her dogs in 2009 after they attacked several people on the street was back in municipal court this morning on charges that include an allegation she didn't relinquish the dangerous South African Boerboels.

Susan Kolb appeared before Judge Nesle Rodriguez on a city contempt charge and old leash-law violations, but the judge said the contempt allegation will be heard in Superior Court where the Hudson County prosecutor has also charged her with offense.

Kolb could face up to 18 months behind bars if convicted in Superior Court of disregarding Rodriguez's 2009 order to get rid of the dangerous dogs. She had promised they would be sent to California after a string of Jersey City attacks.

"We will let the process work it's way out," Kolb's attorney, Gerald Miller of Jersey City, said after the brief hearing.

After the attacks in 2009, Jersey City impounded the dogs under the state Vicious Dog Law and they faced possible euthanization. Kolb went to trial to defend the dogs and as part of an agreement reached May 15, 2009, the dogs were ordered removed from the jurisdiction.
On Jan. 17 of this year, Jersey City police got a 911 call from Kolb's neighbor saying Kolb's husband was being attacked by two dogs. When police knocked on Kolb's door they were told there was no problem, Hernandez said.

Jersey City Animal Control got more information and the municipal court issued a search and seizure warrant for the Kolb residence. On Jan. 28, police executed the warrant and seized the dogs, named Jumba and Imani, and arrested Kolb on outstanding warrants for unpaid fines, Hernandez said.

When the dogs were seized in January they were taken to Liberty Humane Society and Kolb was released on her own recognizance after her arrest.

This morning, Judge Rodriguez said the leash law violations would be held in abeyance until the more serious matter is settled. She set April 8 for a status hearing to see where the case stands.
Here are the original allegations:

* Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, was injured on Jan. 19, 2009, at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. He said Kolb unleashed the dogs and they ran across the street and tore into his arm. Kolb said the dogs got spooked by trucks.

* James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked on Jan. 9, 2009, at Warren and Morris streets. Joyce said he was struggling to keep one dog from biting his face when the other bit his groin. Kolb said Joyce approached the dogs incorrectly.

* On Sept. 21, 2008, at a park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the dogs were reportedly unleashed when they knocked down a woman carrying her 6-month-old granddaughter. Kolb said she thought the park was empty.

In 2009, the Prosecutor's Office charged Kolb with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. She was later allowed to enter the pretrial intervention program because she had no prior convictions.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In case anyone would like to know, the municipal case number is 2011-00359, before Judge Kevin Callahan. There are no hearings scheduled at this time, but I refuse to let this story die. The people being hurt by the dogs and the fact that a court order was disobeyed is just too much!

Posted on: 2011/2/21 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Gotta keep this story alive. It is bad enough that there were at least three different dog attacks, but the fact that she disobeyed the court order, allegedly had the dogs in Jersey City with her all this time and apparently didn't even pay the fines is a major injustice. I hope the papers cover all the upcoming court proceedings.

Why, after failing to obey a previous court order, was she not required to post any bail?

Posted on: 2011/2/12 1:51

Re: Unleashed Mastiffs Attack JC Man Downtown this Morning
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen a woman fitting her description w/son over in Greenville at Danforth Ave. They take the lightrail.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

purjed wrote:
Thanks, I guess I am going blind.

I see her getting off the JSQ train at 33rd Street.

I wonder what she does for her day job, but more importantly, when is the next court date scheduled with her.

Its too bad the New Jersey courts don't provide online information about the status of various cases like the New York State courts do. You have to call the judge's office, and assuming they actually pick up, the clerk may or may not be in the mood to tell you anything. New Jersey's courts are closed today under the state furlough I think.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 19:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, I guess I am going blind.

I see her getting off the JSQ train at 33rd Street.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

purjed wrote:
Where did you see that she didn't pay the fine? Judging from her shoe collection (I see her on the PATH almost every day) I can tell where the money went.

What stop does she get on at? I wonder where she works during the day too.

She's become somewhat famous now. I'd sure love to grill her about this and hear her explain her way out of this one like she tried with the previous three biting incidents.

Oh, and as Vigilante highlighted for me (thanks), the article stated she was arrested on outstanding warrants over the unpaid fines.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 5:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

purjed wrote:
Where did you see that she didn't pay the fine? Judging from her shoe collection (I see her on the PATH almost every day) I can tell where the money went.

From the JJ article:
Then Jersey City Animal Control got more information on the dogs and the municipal court issued a search and seizure warrant for the Kolb residence. On Jan. 28 police executed the warrant seized the dogs, named Jumba and Imani, and arrested Kolb on outstanding warrants for unpaid fines, Hernandez said.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 0:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/2/10 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Appalling to say the least. Disgusting to say a little bit more. The incidents with her dogs are tragic enough, and now this woman thinks she's above the law. According to the article, she didn't even pay the fines!

I can't wait to hear her explanation for this now. Does anyone know when the next court/hearing date is? I hope the paper keeps up the coverage on this.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 16:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. She's got some balls.

I feel sorry for the son, but yes, jail time is deserved. She knowingly has put the public and her son in danger and then lied to the courts and kept the dogs.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 0:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Feed them some of them chicken bones people are complaining about in another thread. Kill two birds with one stone.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/2/8 22:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
That woman lived in the Windsor complex in Paulus Hook. She no longer lives in the neighborhood (I believe she was kicked out of the building, but I could be wrong) and into another area of JC. I'm sure her new neighbors have no idea about those dog's reputation.

She was ordered to surrender the dogs and she didn't. She deserves jail time, IMO. Her dogs are vicious and she didn't seem like she could handle the two of them. Yes, it's hard having a special needs son, but it doesn't mean that she should be given special treatment. I don't even understand how she was able to get those dogs back after what happened!

Posted on: 2011/2/8 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
i feel bad for the dogs, first and foremost.

she's a stupid ass and deserves no leniency from punishment because of her son. she put him in the situation.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 17:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/24 4:06
Group:
Registered Users
Where are planning to remove the dogs to. Another, unsuspecting neighborhood!? I love dogs, but not the ones that eat people. I say put the dogs and the owner to sleep!

Posted on: 2011/2/8 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
If these dogs were such a menace how come none of the neighbors reported them a year ago? How come there was no follow up by the courts? Very weird.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
While I appreciate your outrage and agree there should be consequences, I don't know that jail is appropriate. She does have a special needs son that relies heavily on her.

It's definitely sad all around. I feel bad for the dogs.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe this Witch is up to it again. She needs to go directly to jail. Scumbag.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
From NJ.com/ 2/7/2011

Susan Kolb Arrested after Dogs Found in Her Home...

The Jersey City woman ordered to give up a pair of large dogs in 2009 after they attacked several people was arrested after city animal control officers found she still had the dangerous South African Boerboels at her home, officials said today.

Susan Kolb is now charged with contempt and could face up to 18 months behind bars if convicted of disregarding the order of Jersey City Municipal Court Judge Nesle Rodriguez in 2009.

Kolb was released on her own recognizance when she made her first court appearance on the charges this morning before Hudson County Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Leo Hernandez said.

The dogs are currently being cared for at the Liberty Humane Society in Jersey City.

After the attacks in 2009, the dogs faced possible euthanization when Jersey City impounded them under the state Vicious Dog Law. Kolb went to trial to defend the dogs and as part of an agreement with prosecutors reached on May 15, 2009, the dogs were ordered removed from the jurisdiction.

It was said at the time that Kolb had made arrangements for the dogs to be cared for in California.

On Jan. 17 Jersey City police got a 911 call from Kolb's neighbor saying Kolb's husband was being attacked by two dogs. When police knocked on Kolb's door they were told there was no problem, Hernandez said.

Then Jersey City Animal Control got more information on the dogs and the municipal court issued a search and seizure warrant for the Kolb residence. On Jan. 28 police executed the warrant seized the dogs, named Jumba and Imani, and arrested Kolb on outstanding warrants for unpaid fines, Hernandez said.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office later filed the contempt charges and Kolb was arrested on that charge today and processed.

Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, was injured on Jan. 19, 2009 at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. He said Kolb unleashed the dogs and they ran across the street and tore into his arm.

A group of construction workers tried to scare the dogs away during the attack and a driver tried to frighten them off with his car. Kolb said the dogs got spooked by trucks plowing snow and got away from her.

James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked on Jan. 9, 2009 by the dogs at Warren and Morris streets. Joyce, who has also filed a lawsuit against Kolb and her husband, Gary, said he was struggling to keep one dog from biting his face when the other bit him in the groin area.

Susan Kolb said Joyce was not injured and that he had approached the dogs incorrectly.

On Sept. 21, 2009 at the park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the two dogs were reportedly unleashed when they knocked down a woman who was carrying her 6-month-old granddaughter. Kolb said she thought the park was empty.

In 2009 the Prosecutor's Office charged Kolb with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after the dog attacks and after she was indicted on the charge. She was later allowed to enter the pretrial intervention program because she had no prior convictions and she served no jail sentence.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry, I don't know what the result was for the criminal charges, just the charges against the dogs.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What was the punishment?

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
The dogs were transferred to someone in California. There was a whole laundry list of items they had to comply with (including spaying/neutering and various safety precautions) in order to take posession of the dogs.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know the outcome of this? I see her on the PATH train so I guess she didn't get any jail time.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
I just don't want her to ever be given the opportunity of owning those dogs again.

Actually, she should be outlawed to ever own any type of pet again.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 3:37

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017