Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Loew's Theater could be so much more...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
How did the air seem? Any breathing difficulties later in the evening?

Posted on: 2018/3/18 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
just enjoyed another magical evening with many last night to the see The Quiet Man.

This short documentary by performers was put out recently -

Friends ofWonder: Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile (Documentary)

Posted on: 2018/3/18 16:01

Re: The Loew's Theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I can't imagine it's worse inside than outside in Journal Square.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 13:20

The Loew's Theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone tell me if there have been any efforts to improve air quality at the theater. Have any systems been brought in to achieve the goal of safer breathing?
I miss going there, but I feel that it's just not a healthy atmosphere.

Posted on: 2018/3/18 13:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/6 14:49
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Video of the Morton Organ

See above video from JC local Jennifer Weiss

But bands playing at Loewes have the benefit of Morton Organ accompaniment. More retro than a mini Moog!

Posted on: 2011/2/18 10:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/2 7:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:
You have to have the clientele to support the type of businesses you want BEFORE the business can move in. JSQ isn't going anywhere until it starts to evolve back to what it once was.. primarily residential. People shop at malls now, so all that can be supported their in its present configuration is a bunch of tacky stores.

The theater is the least of that area's problems. I know compared to Jersey City standards JSQ neighborhood is a "C+ / B-" but to people from decent areas it's a filthy slum. 70% of JC, including JSQ, needs a visit from a squad of the World's Largest Bulldozers, followed by a 20 day campaign to drop antibacterial soap from the planes they use to fight fires with, not a slightly better theater.

Posted on: 2011/2/18 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
It is a great place to see a movie and the setting is ideal for those older "classics?". I guess the point I was originally making wasn't that they should never show the old movies - just maybe make more of an effort to appeal to a broader audience and perhaps expand the programming in a way that actually makes money.

Touche! Why not do both?

The venue fee is prohibitive for most in addition to forget showing film unless you rent your own DVD projector as we did for Gasland, which go for $750/day with the necessary throw lens of 5000 lumens minimum. If we hadn't the City's support we couldn't have shown Gasland at Lowe's as they own it and provided the necessary insurance liability coverage plus free rental.

Todd of Maxwell's has been the only music producer able to use Lowe's effectively for music despite the bad acoustic sonority. The one exception I've heard was John Hammond's incredible tour de force on solo guitar and mouth harp.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 5:13
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Dang! How to get tix?

Posted on: 2011/2/16 22:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/7 13:01
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to post again so quickly, but Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk hotel just announced he'll be playing at the Loew's on November 6th (yes, 9 months from now):

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives ... jeff_mangum_ano.html#more

For those of you wonder who Jeff Magnum or Neutral Milk Hotel is, they released a critically acclaimed album in 1998 (In the Aeroplane over the Sea) and then disbanded shortly thereafter. he hasn't played major shows since then, and is just starting to play several high-profile gigs at festivals later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Milk_Hotel

I'd say this is a major coup for the Loew's and I hope it marks a return to booking great shows there!

Posted on: 2011/2/16 20:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/7 13:01
Group:
Registered Users
The Strokes are currently filming their video at the Loews:

http://twitpic.com/40h2rs

(posted by their manager earlier today)

Posted on: 2011/2/16 17:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
They got a grant from Hudson County for the air conditioning,k and I believe one for ADA improvements. Hopefully they have not lost that money because it has not been spent. There are several grants from the county that have not been spent, and with these economic times, I hope it isn't "use it or lose it".

Posted on: 2011/2/8 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Just remembered my favorite Christmas time special was shot there. I watch it on PBS every year....

The Ghosts of Christmas Eve is a 1999 made-for-TV concert film showcasing a Christmas music performance by Trans-Siberian Orchestra with guest performers Michael Crawford and Jewel. The songs are presented in such a way as to form a loose storyline about a runaway who takes refuge in an abandoned theatre on Christmas Eve, and experiences the musical performances as ghostly visions from the theatre's past. Several actors (primarily Ossie Davis as the caretaker) are used to fill out the narrative. The special was filmed at the historic Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, New Jersey.

It premiered on Fox Family on December 14, 1999 as part of their 25 Days of Christmas programming block. On November 13, 2001, it was released on DVD with the Timeless Version of Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 included as a bonus track.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 22:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
Well, Todd from Maxwells is the guy who booked all those bigger rock shows (Beck, Decemberists, were there any others?) Seems like if it was working out well he would have done more. Has there even been one since '07?

Magnetic Fields played in 2008. I was at that show (as well as Beck, which I don't remember as clearly), and I'm telling y'all the acoustics were distractingly bad. I feel they would have to address this before becoming a legit music venue.

Now, I always thought the lousy amplified sound problem was because Loews was a "silent-era theater" and the only sound was from those organ pipes. Grovester rightly doubted that assumption. After a little more research, I learned that because Loews was built on the cusp of the sound era, "the acoustical construction of the plaster walls was the first of its kind to complement the "talkie" films." Perhaps there is an issue with the actual speaker system (although I'm guessing the bands brought their own amplification?), as Grovester rightly pointed out that the sound is not great during films. Dialogue can be hard to hear at times. Sometimes there is almost an echoey effect. Perhaps the acoustics of the plaster construction got disrupted when it was split into a multi-plex?

I don't know. I do know that my neighbor tells me his mother saw Frank Sinatra at the Loews.

The Loews was also built to accommodate live stage shows--not just movies. There are wings, dressing rooms, stage lights, etc. They host periodic community theater and ethnic dance performances there, which I don't think has been mentioned on this thread. (Perhaps community theater and ethnic dance are even more despised than classic films ;)

I didn't notice anyone mentioning that you can rent the Loews for wedding receptions. One of my friends told me they saw it on a list of reasonable NYC area wedding venues. Hopefully this additional revenue will allow them to make more improvements, such as air conditioning and restoring the balcony.

Keep in mind that these volunteers got this place when it had been split up into a multi-plex and derelict for years. They have done a great deal of work for no money.

The venue United Palace that Crazy_Chester mentions was never scarred in this way; it was restored for use as a church before it became a music venue, and they brag about their acoustics. And still, their website only lists two upcoming shows there, about one per month.

A seated venue can be a challenge. I don't really see hip-hop, punk, or metal working in a venue like that. But for certain acts it would be terrific. If only we could get 'Ol Blue Eyes back; I'm sure he'd pack the seats.

An interesting website about the Loews: http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistor ... /Loews_Jersey_Theater.htm

Posted on: 2011/2/3 21:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/3 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, that is exactly like the Loew's. It is the Loew's 175th which was built (as was the Loew's Jersey) as one of the "wonder theaters". There is one difference in the theater itself, which is that the 175th never really closed. We saw a movie there on Saturday and on Sunday it becaome Reverend Ike's church . So, there really was no damage. However, the venue is similar. In a lot of ways, from downtown NYC, the Loew's Jersey is easier and actually closer than 175th Street. From the look of the website, and the statement that it was "restored" by Rev. Ike's church, it definitely looks like they have the balcony seating, and I'm guessing but some of those events were in the summer time, air conditioning. Neither of those is at the Loew's Jersey. They also according to the web site, actively solicit groups to come in for concerts...

Posted on: 2011/2/3 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Here is another place in Manhattan (Washington Heights) very similar to the Loews that has no problem drawing big name acts. And I would argue that the Loews is more accessible, even for many Manhattanites.

http://unitedpalaceconcerts.com/events.html

Posted on: 2011/2/3 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I think cyclo and brewster both raise valid points.

To some extent, Loews is not comparable to other theaters in other cities of the country where they are the "signature venue." While Loews is in the NY Metro area and there are plenty of other venues for rock artists to play, even if they are not theaters or don't have the capacity as the Loews.

On the other hand, the fact is the Loews, with its size and other features, is in a class of unique venues that could have appeal to performers looking for a certain ambiance as well as the ability to sell more tickets.

The most obvious comparable venue is Paradise Theatre in the Bronx. Like the Loews Jersey it is a restored Loews movie palace. It has events slightly more frequently but also had some trouble making a go of it and went through a closure and reopening as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
Why would a band play the Lowes when they could play 10 different similar sized venues in NYC and/or Brooklyn where an audience is more guaranteed?

10? Really? Other than the Beacon and BAM I can't think of other "real" theaters (as opposed to clubs or Roseland) of that size available, even the Apollo is only half the capacity. Lets exclude the haute culture places like Alice Tully & Carnegie halls. What's on your list?

Why rule out clubs like Roseland? I'm coming from more of a rock music perspective where a seated venue like the Lowes is a minus.

Because its a different experience than a theater. I've had a good time at Roseland (most memorably Gang of 4 and B.A.D.) but there's plenty of artists who would prefer to be heard in an actual theater with people sitting and listening. That's what makes the Beacon such a beloved place for musicians.

From wiki
Quote:
With its superior acoustics designed for the musical accompanyment of pre-sound moving pictures, the Beacon theater was long the leading Upper West Side venue for R&B, Pop, jam bands, and rock concerts.

Headliners in the modern era included Jackson Browne, Pat Metheny Group, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Gov't Mule, Robert Plant & The Strange Sensation, Mot?rhead, M?tley Cr?e, Ratt, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Brandy, King Crimson, Jerry Garcia, Tangerine Dream, Tori Amos, Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, Leonard Cohen, James Taylor, Phil Collins, Sting, KISS, Dio, Aerosmith, Kelly Clarkson, The Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Bob Weir, Phish, Queen, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Hicks, They Might Be Giants, Roxette, Dave Matthews Band, Eric Johnson, Dream Theater, Maroon 5, Nick Jonas & The Administration, and Ray Davies, among others.

Many of those bands could play wherever they want, including stadiums, but they chose a theater.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
Why would a band play the Lowes when they could play 10 different similar sized venues in NYC and/or Brooklyn where an audience is more guaranteed?

10? Really? Other than the Beacon and BAM I can't think of other "real" theaters (as opposed to clubs or Roseland) of that size available, even the Apollo is only half the capacity. Lets exclude the haute culture places like Alice Tully & Carnegie halls. What's on your list?

Why rule out clubs like Roseland? I'm coming from more of a rock music perspective where a seated venue like the Lowes is a minus.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
^^

Because bands make their money from touring, and if they have to pay less of a venue fee they can make more money.

Plenty of bands play in Brooklyn, plenty play in Manhattan, plenty play Maxwells, and plenty would play The Lowes if they could.

Well, Todd from Maxwells is the guy who booked all those bigger rock shows (Beck, Decemberists, were there any others?) Seems like if it was working out well he would have done more. Has there even been one since '07?

Maxwells is probably my favorite place in the world to see a band, but the capacity is what? 100? 150? Much easier to fill than nearly 2,000 seats (and is the balcony fixed up yet? That makes it 3,000+). It's a big, big room.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:

Posted on: 2011/2/2 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
^^

Because bands make their money from touring, and if they have to pay less of a venue fee they can make more money.

Plenty of bands play in Brooklyn, plenty play in Manhattan, plenty play Maxwells, and plenty would play The Lowes if they could.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
That former Stanley Theatre is now renovated and called The Benedum Center for the Performing Arts, and is a cultural anchor of a revived downtown Pittsburgh. A similar story may be unrealistic, but JC is only 25% smaller than Pittsburgh, surely we can do better than we have.

Pittsburgh is not next door to New York City. Why would a band play the Lowes when they could play 10 different similar sized venues in NYC and/or Brooklyn where an audience is more guaranteed? I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, and the success of the Beck shows, etc, show it can be done on at least a limited basis, but there's a lot of competition for audiences locally so comparing to a theater in Pittsburgh is far from apples-to-apples. I'd love to see a day when there are multiple shows there weekly, with some or all filled to capacity, but it's quite a challenge.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
It is a great place to see a movie and the setting is ideal for those older "classics?". I guess the point I was originally making wasn't that they should never show the old movies - just maybe make more of an effort to appeal to a broader audience and perhaps expand the programming in a way that actually makes money.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 19:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/25 17:23
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a shill for anyone, ever, and it took me a few years to finally make it to Loewes, but we saw Freaks and She Did Him Wrong there on Friday and I have to say it was an amazing experience. Loewes is mainly volunteer driven and the people working there/presenting seemed to have a great passion for film. After the films they even did a short chat about how these films affected the subsequent creation of a rating system.

LOVE this place, LOVE their film selection, LOVE the prices (8 bucks for TWO movies, 1 dollar for popcorn) and feel very fortunate it exists. Keep up the great work guys.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Moxie..baby.. I have posted the below link before. Check it out. It is an amazing dream, I hope some of it gets built. The two towers were going to go in the empty lot where the Hotel on the Square, and Micky D?s use to be. From what I read that project is on hold. The Harwoods(run parking lot behind the Loews) got stung with Bennie and the Mid-West (??) pension fund I think also pulled out.

the JSQ plan

Here is some more information my old mind just recalled. (if any one knows differently jump in) It was all bad timing. The city wanted that piece of property developed for years. It was going to be the center piece in the revitalization of JSQ. The properties that were there were really run down. The Hotel on the Square was abandoned for many moons. The city was working with Harwood to buy the properties on the site. Most of the property owners sold and got a pretty nice deal. There was one family who refused to sell. The legal battle went on for years. Finally as I recall the city got nasty and started fining the family for various property violations or back taxes. The family finally gave in and sold. But of course it was too late the real estate bubble blew and the recession hit. JSQ loses again!

PS ? yes those towers are tall and ugly..but at least it was something. Maybe they will tone them down. It can?t be any worse then the ugly white and brown brick box building they built on the site of the old State theater. It actually took away the sun shine from shoppers on the Blvd.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of comments.
1. There are several paid lots near Loew's so I'm not sure why the parking gripe issue keeps coming up. (Not to mention that it's across the street from a major transportation hub). For big events perhaps Loew's could offer a way to validate parking with one of the lots.

2. As much as I would love to see these new towers, ugly or not, I have not seen *any* signs of the construciton. Where should I be looking?

Posted on: 2011/1/31 13:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
Lowes theater has GREAT potential is just many people like above have a negative mentality. and parking shouldn't have much to do with it. AS much as i hate comparisons to nyc, there is not much parking in nyc but that doesn't stop people from entering the city and viewing venues. I cant this being a huge venue, maybe this can support local bands from independents labels. I just wish we didn't have what i call smooth rock. Its just too cheesy for this area and we need bands who are more edgy. And JC has a huge hip-hop scene with not so many known artist.

And J.sq is being revived. The new towers ( which i think are extremely generic and ugly to be the center piece of the skyline for any location) are being built and more residences are being planned. It does have massive potential but we need more support, which is tied to Pride in thsi city which many people do not have.

Once a sense of pride startes to spread here it could happen. but the catch 22 is there is nothing to be proud of . ive rambled i know but im putting my 2 cents in. I would lvoe to go spend time here but i dont want to see "classic" movies

Posted on: 2011/1/31 10:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/3 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
liquor has been served/sold at the concerts. It is up to the promotor to get the license/servers/insurance, etc.

The low-down blues concerts were also set up by the Journal Square Special Improvement District (I think ). Again, there needs to be someone to go out and look for those promotors, etc. There may be other things planned, but there is nothing on their website except for 1 movie weekend a month thru June, and no details on those either. I am somewhat confused . I remember reading in the Jersey Journal that they had gotten a grant to put in the airconditioning from either the city or the county a couple of years ago, but there still isn't air conditioning.

Posted on: 2011/1/17 0:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
For more live music performances, I'm sure a liquor license would be helpful.

Posted on: 2011/1/16 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quite a few of my coworkers traveled from Manhattan and Brooklyn to Journal Square to see The Decemberists as well as to see Bright Eyes, M. Ward (of She & Him) and Jim James (of My Morning Jacket) perform at Loew's.

All of them raved about the venue as well as its easy access to the PATH.

Come to think of it, I posted something along these lines to JCList back in 2008. Let me dig it up...

Here's the link to the thread. Check out the photo of its striking lobby -- it's quite ornate!

I'm still surprised more promoters don't arrange to put on shows there, especially given that everyone from Patti LaBelle and Beck to Yo La Tengo and The Magnetic Fields have performed there to large audiences over the years.

More recently, I've seen some postings about the Loew's-Down Blues Concert Series that featured John Hammond, Shemekia Copeland, The Duke Robillard Band, etc.

Any word on if more concert events are in the works -- whether from Friends of the Loew's or from outside promoters?

Posted on: 2011/1/16 1:09

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017