Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: A & P Supermarkets File For Bankruptcy Protection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to see the JC Pathmark isnt closing either!

Posted on: 2011/2/17 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I don't mind paying a little extra for the cleanliness at A&P. Also, the stores are not as chaotic

Posted on: 2011/2/17 21:08

Re: Stay classy A&P
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great news. Thanks for letting us know, snowflake.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like our A&P is safe! Thank goodness because I prefer that store so more than Shoprite in JC and Hoboken.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02 ... se-another-32-stores.html

Posted on: 2011/2/17 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think going to a supermarket the day after a huge holiday which followed another holiday and a snowstorm is not a great idea. They are not going to have much in the way of produce or meat. And prices change, yeah it sucks to see it (they probably should do it at night) but it happens. Anyway, I still prefer A&P over either Shoprites because I get much better customer service there.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
With their reorganization they may close the West New York location and/or that big white elephant down in Bayonne. The stores in Hoboken and JC will probably be ok unless they are sold, and I do not know if Whole Foods is interested in any of those locations right now.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 14:37
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
According to several employees they have a new produce mgr at the JC A&P. I guess the guy came from the less busy WNY store. He didn't order enough then his wife went into labor. The managers tried to get an emergency order in but because of the holiday it got delayed.

Was just in there and it looked pretty good all around. As previously mentioned I prefer them to Shoprite but avoid them on Sunday when its crazy and understaffed in there.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
there is (was) an A&P right alongside a Pathmark on the Maplewood/South Orange border on Valley St. I was by there yesterday - the A&P is closed.

A friend of mine lived very close to that A&P. I didn't put 2+2 together. It closed a few months ago.

Years ago the A&P was a Waldbaums which was bought out by A&P.

I actually like that A&P. I think it's better than Shoprite or the Pathmark on Grove. I also like the Pathmark on 440. I used to go there when I got off of work at 5am. I also shop at the Walmart in Secaucus but I stopped going temporarily to avoid the holiday crowds.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcgurl wrote:
Saw a sign at A&P that they're now carrying a Food Emporium line. Is this a sign of more merging?

Along with Pathmark, A&P already owns Food Emporium. They also own Food Basics, Waldbaums and Super Fresh. They've been pretty quick to close stores - there is (was) an A&P right alongside a Pathmark on the Maplewood/South Orange border on Valley St. I was by there yesterday - the A&P is closed.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a sign at A&P that they're now carrying a Food Emporium line. Is this a sign of more merging? I have been pretty satisfied with A&P (although lately their shelves seem decimated partway through the weekend). I do hope they maintain their operations. More than anything I would hate shopping at Shop Rite again. That place makes me want to run into traffic.

Posted on: 2011/1/5 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I know nothing about supermarkets

Quote:

I fail to see how after a week they were still not receiving new shipments when other stores in the area had been getting new deliveries.

Sunday was the day after New Year's.

Supermarkets generally get no deliveries on holidays. They also get fewer deliveries on Sundays. So a lot of supermarkets were low on stock on Sunday since it was the second day in a row without deliveries.

Some items can be restocked from the storeroom. But most supermarkets don't keep a large inventory of produce so it won't spoil, and many items like Coke are shelved directly by the manufacturer (and the store doesn't keep any stock). So on days like Sunday, some things are just out of stock.

I would bet most supermarkets were light on stock Sunday, ShopRite and Stop & Shop included.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
If it's geographically possible for you to do so, you may want to consider Pathmark on Route 440. Pathmark as a company was recently lauded for using local growers whenever possible. Also they have nice produce.

I went to C-town on Bergen (against great duress b/c the "no more bedbugs and roaches" sign emblazoned in the window does NOT inspire confidence) last night on my way home to pick up a few things. Nonetheless, their produce was just stellar!

Posted on: 2011/1/4 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I was at A&P this weekend around the same time as well. The produce which is normally barely passable was pretty much cleaned out. I fail to see how after a week they were still not receiving new shipments when other stores in the area had been getting new deliveries.

I used to go to A&P to avoid the crowds and get better quality food, but with the steady decline in quality, rising prices, increasingly larger lines at checkout and lack of products I'll just go back to Shoprite and brave the mobs.

Does anyone know of any other grocery stores in the area? I know there is a Morton Williams in Pavonia, and a Kings in Hoboken. What other options are there?

Posted on: 2011/1/4 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Brace yourself. Food prices are expected to go up this year because the prices of most agricultural commodities have shot up in recent months.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
A&P are nearly bankrupt. Might partly explain things....

Posted on: 2011/1/4 2:37

Stay classy A&P
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I went to A&P around 1pm this past Sunday. We noticed that they ran out of things in produce and in the bread, dairy and toilet paper sections. Understandable-- a lot of places had trouble shipping to this area because of the snowstorm. I gave them the benefit of the doubt even though this was almost a full week after the storm.

The thing that really bothered me was that there were store clerks in every aisle changing the prices on various products. None of these prices were sale prices. A lot of these items went up about 40 cents.

I know nothing about supermarkets or how they price things. As a consumer I took this as a slap in the face.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 2:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Like so many Pathmarks, it is a hornets nest of problems. High shrink, unmotivated employees, bad infrastructure, suspect reputation and unstable area.

They seem to see it as a public service: "Pathmark ... is particularly noted for its historical commitment to opening stores within the inner cities of its trading area."

http://www.aptea.com/pathmark.asp

That is PR.....A&P (GAP) purchased Pathmark less than 2 years ago because they thought they could almost immediately sell a large portion to Kroger. Kroger immediately realized the extreme debt load A&P took on to purchase Pathmark. A&P absolutely needed to make a deal strengthening Kroger's bargaining position. Both companies got stubborn. A&P went through 3 Ceos and a CFO and that is where the situation is today.

Wow I wish Kroger would come to this area. They would get my business.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Like so many Pathmarks, it is a hornets nest of problems. High shrink, unmotivated employees, bad infrastructure, suspect reputation and unstable area.

They seem to see it as a public service: "Pathmark ... is particularly noted for its historical commitment to opening stores within the inner cities of its trading area."

That is PR.....A&P (GAP) purchased Pathmark less than 2 years ago because they thought they could almost immediately sell a large portion to Kroger. Kroger immediately realized the extreme debt load A&P took on to purchase Pathmark. A&P absolutely needed to make a deal strengthening Kroger's bargaining position. Both companies got stubborn. A&P went through 3 Ceos and a CFO and that is where the situation is today.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

Posted on: 2010/12/14 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They were negotiating with WinStanley about the Jersey City Pathmark but it was not included in the last deal. Like so many Pathmarks, it is a hornets nest of problems. High shrink, unmotivated employees, bad infrastructure, suspect reputation and unstable area.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ThirftyT.....You are correct. They are understaffed on Sunday and very busy which is why I stay away on that day. If you and I stay away it is reasonable to assume we are not the only ones. Lost business. More important...lost integrity with the customer. (see post #10)

Posted on: 2010/12/14 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
The Jersey City A&P was used as a logistical staging site for various law enforcement agencies in the aftermath of 9/11.

It is a shame that such an iconic supermarket chain has been virtually destroyed by mismanagement and short-sited profiteering.

If you think the Jersey City A&P is not busy, try going there during a Sunday afternoon.

Its a big box store that will probably be flattened in twenty years to make room for more high rise towers. There is nothing iconic about it. It is not special. Vague associations with 9/11 does not make something magical. Even if A&P vacated, another store would move in. Sentimentality for bland, universal architecture is unwarranted.

The shame of it all is that the chain has become exactly what you say it is now. Bland and unremarkable. A&P used to be huge. My own father worked there for his first job back in the fifties, as did many people.

They were amoung the first to use refrigerated rail cars and many other innovations that changed the industry and American life. In fact their world headquarters was down by the warehouse district here in Jersey City for a decade or so.

Your point is valid. They WERE iconic.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 12:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
If A&P goes, I'm hoping for a Stop & Shop - then I won't have to make the trek to Bayonne..

Posted on: 2010/12/14 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
+1 BeachguyQuote:

Beachguy wrote:
I'd hate to see A&P go. I know the prices are higher but it's clean, it has a decent selection of most items, the produce is very good and it's really nice to have a cashier say thank you when they hand you your change. I'd have to find a new place outside of the city to shop if they close. I couldn't go back to Shop Rite.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
The Jersey City A&P was used as a logistical staging site for various law enforcement agencies in the aftermath of 9/11.

It is a shame that such an iconic supermarket chain has been virtually destroyed by mismanagement and short-sited profiteering.

If you think the Jersey City A&P is not busy, try going there during a Sunday afternoon.

Its a big box store that will probably be flattened in twenty years to make room for more high rise towers. There is nothing iconic about it. It is not special. Vague associations with 9/11 does not make something magical. Even if A&P vacated, another store would move in. Sentimentality for bland, universal architecture is unwarranted.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

As a retail analyst, you might be interested to know that I, as a consumer, did try to go to A&P on a Sunday afternoon. I never tried again due to the horrendously slow cashiers and the technically terrible (slow and unreliable) self-checkouts.

When I do go to A&P (usually to pick up some produce or other items not available at Target), I'm always prepared for a long wait to check-out. During off-peak times, A&P considers one cashier adequate even when there are 5 or more people in line. Meanwhile at Target, there could be 8 people ready to check-out and they will have 7 cashiers open ready to zoom people through.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/12/14 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they don't close! They are a touch more expensive than Shop Rite, but the experience is SO MUCH better. (I saw a roach crawling on a shelf in Shop Rite and could never go back). I don't know about Target taking that much of their business. The food selection there is still very limited, with the exception of frozen stuff. If you want fresh food beyond clementines and Red Delicious apples, you have to go to the supermarket.

As a side note, the family that started the supermarket has an interesting history: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/arts/19cnd-hartford.html

Posted on: 2010/12/14 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Some of the things at A&P are way lower than Shoprite. I've noticed that milk is $3.69 at Shoprite and $2.87 at A&P.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'd hate to see A&P go. I know the prices are higher but it's clean, it has a decent selection of most items, the produce is very good and it's really nice to have a cashier say thank you when they hand you your change. I'd have to find a new place outside of the city to shop if they close. I couldn't go back to Shop Rite.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 22:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017