Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Car Accident on 3rd & Erie - - Be Careful!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
you'd have to block off Jersey and Monmouth too, while you're at it.

Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
they should block off the stretch of Erie from Newark to 1st. Might also prevent the road from being used as cut through to the Holland tunnel so much. Just a quick random thought. What would be the negatives?

I like what the schools have started doing with traffic cones, blocking off Bright, Brunswick, parts of 9th St, etc. Can we get smarter with these "rat-runs" using temporary traffic cones, particularly during school hours? Force traffic to go around blocks avoiding schools.

So for example use cones to shut off:
Newark & Erie or 2nd & Erie North
8th & Erie North
Coles & 8th South
Grand & Monmouth North
5th or 7th and Monmouth North
and perhaps a few others to force morning traffic on to Marin to reach the tunnel or Hoboken.

Making Newark Ave a pedestrian zone will also help. Setting up cones like this really doesn't mess up the locals, but really discourages those who don't live locally if they don't know their way around.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:

Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
they should block off the stretch of Erie from Newark to 1st. Might also prevent the road from being used as cut through to the Holland tunnel so much. Just a quick random thought. What would be the negatives?

Some of us live near the tunnel.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 22:54
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

Posted on: 2011/4/13 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
The police constantly park in the crosswalk on this corner. There was one there when I went through about 11am. Huge Ford SUV right in the middle of the crosswalk. I love Toricos but the construction vans that are usually parked there are very hard to see around. Maybe they should block off the stretch of Erie from Newark to 1st. Might also prevent the road from being used as cut through to the Holland tunnel so much. Just a quick random thought. What would be the negatives?

Posted on: 2011/4/13 17:31
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
.......but the lunatic drivers will still ignore them or roll through them while somebody is waiting at the curb waiting to cross. 9 times out of 10 they'll have New York plates.

In my experience, 9 times out of 10 it is a marked JCPD cruiser doing it.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 16:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly, they could put stop signs up and down Erie and all it would do is give a false sense of security to pedestrians. Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but the lunatic drivers will still ignore them or roll through them while somebody is waiting at the curb waiting to cross. 9 times out of 10 they'll have New York plates.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwntwngrl wrote:
Another one, this time Erie and 1st, 9:40 am. Stop signs people, when will it happen? Oh right, when a mom and child get mowed down...

there is a stop sign, but when you're stopped at it, you can't see around the cars illegally parked in the crosswalks. and those cars will never get ticketed or towed, because 9 times out of 10 they belong to a cop who's "working" right across the street at headquarters.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 15:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 20:03
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if anyone has ever contacted the Mayor's Action Bureau about this intersection? Years ago after seeing accidents every weekend here in the Heights I contacted them, they did a study and we got traffic lights within 6 months at Webster & Hutton. (I did something similar about street corner garbage cans and we got those in about 3 weeks).

Hopefully they are still responsive.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 14:55
...Sometimes I Bleed

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
Another one, this time Erie and 1st, 9:40 am. Stop signs people, when will it happen? Oh right, when a mom and child get mowed down...

Posted on: 2011/4/13 13:46

Another Accident Erie & 2nd
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
Just another to add to the list of accidents on Erie & 2nd. Car just got t-boned by none other than a JCPD undercover car. Hmmm...maybe he'll suggest a stop sign?

Posted on: 2011/1/17 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I saw the accident. It sure did look like she hit her brakes too hard (because a car came out of 3rd)... she did a 360 and almost came to a complete stop, but then shot over the curb, sidewalk, and fence... like she hit the gas again by mistake. The church had just let out and there were a lot of people on the sidewalks. It was a miracle that a pedestrian wasn't hit.

If it was me, I wouldn't have swerved to avoid the car pulling out. I would have braked as much as I could, then hit the car. Hitting an idiot in a car that pulls out on me is a much better idea than spinning into a church crowd of pedestrians.

My thoughts:

1. NEVER EVER BRAKE AND SWERVE.
Unless you're a pro driver and know techniques such as hell-toe cornering/drifting, you are going to spin, flip or fishtail. That's true at almost any speed.
2. ALWAYS BRAKE HARD IN A STRAIGHT LINE.
Brake hard to a point of impact. Don't swerve, unless you're avoiding head-on collision. Then let your airbags do their job.
3. TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE IF YOU WANT TO STEER AROUND.
Your brake pedal stops you from hitting stuff...your gas pedal gets you around it. Keep your car "balanced" at all times.
4. BRACE BY CROSSING YOUR ARMS IN FROM OF YOUR CHEST IF YOU ARE GOING TO HIT SOMETHING.
Protect your vital organs as racedrivers do.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 4:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on that corner for years, and I can remember at least four collisions at Erie & 4th, plus the one in which a car slammed into the building (leaving a huge dent in the structure) on Erie & 3rd. Over the summer I saw a car hit a bicyclist on 4th and Erie. Stop signs on that part of Erie would be really, really helpful. I'm hardly ever home, and I've seen that many accidents on those corners. The sounds of skidding and SLAM became very common...

Posted on: 2010/12/28 2:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

ValJester wrote:
And when are they going to figure out that a $38 stop sign on 3rd & Eire would save thousands in prevented accidents like this one?

There is a stop sign on the corner of Third west of Erie regulating the flow of traffic traveling on 3rd. St.

Heights,

yes there is a stop sign on 3rd but that doesn't prevent accidents or racing along Erie. That corner needs to be a four-way stop. There's a crossing guard there already every morning - might as well make it a permanent stop

Posted on: 2010/12/27 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

krizstyling wrote:
Truly a miracle no pedestrians were hit in that case!

I also can't believe A&P was packed during the snow...we knew about 3 days ahead of time it was coming.

Well Saturday the stores were closed and I wanted to get a few extra cartons of milk and chicken nuggets for the kiddies!

Posted on: 2010/12/27 14:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
Truly a miracle no pedestrians were hit in that case!

I also can't believe A&P was packed during the snow...we knew about 3 days ahead of time it was coming.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the accident. It sure did look like she hit her brakes too hard (because a car came out of 3rd)... she did a 360 and almost came to a complete stop, but then shot over the curb, sidewalk, and fence... like she hit the gas again by mistake. The church had just let out and there were a lot of people on the sidewalks. It was a miracle that a pedestrian wasn't hit.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i just spent almost the whole day driving in this mess all over jersey city taking care of my pet sitting clients who had their flights delayed until tomorrow evening....if you must go out, take the main streets that are clean:

newark ave
montgomery st.
grand/communipaw ave.
jfk boulevard
central ave
palisade ave

west side ave and all of the greenville side streets were a death trap.

erie i didn't even bother.

i'm up on tonnele right now, staying for the night and that was a mess just getting to canco lofts.

baldwin ave/webster was very slippery and people were generally not courteous of us slow drivers who actually want to keep our cars.

hopefully it's cleaned up by the morning. drive safe everyone!!!

Posted on: 2010/12/26 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ValJester wrote:
Just saw a car slide off the road, jump the curve and hit the fence on the corner of 3rd and Erie - The cops are trying to help the driver (old lady) dislodge the car from the fence and clear it out.

Be caerful if you're out walking - the roads are slick!

And when are they going to figure out that a $38 stop sign on 3rd & Eire would save thousands in prevented accidents like this one?
Resized Image

I agree, it's pretty bad out. Was driving to A&P which was packed and the snow is accumulating fast. Pedestrians really have to be careful in this weather! I saw a woman walk into the street without even looking and I was thinking that she needed to be more careful. Lots of people who live here who might not be used to driving in the snow!

Posted on: 2010/12/26 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Second time a car has gone through that fence. I doubt this was entirely if at all snow related.

I thought the same thing, but the officer on the scene thought otherwise.

That structure on third and Erie undergoing renovation is a magnet for cars. Just a few years ago, a car went through the fence and hit the side of that home.

I felt bad for the old woman who lost control of her car today. According to the officer on the scene, she was traveling less than 20 miles an hour and hit the brakes too hard. Just a "not so good driver" who should have stayed home. She was shaken up, but okay.

Roads are slick today.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ValJester wrote:

There is a stop sign on the corner of Third west of Erie regulating the flow of traffic traveling on 3rd. St.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Second time a car has gone through that fence. I doubt this was entirely if at all snow related.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 17:34

Car Accident on 3rd & Erie - - Be Careful!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw a car slide off the road, jump the curve and hit the fence on the corner of 3rd and Erie - The cops are trying to help the driver (old lady) dislodge the car from the fence and clear it out.

Be caerful if you're out walking - the roads are slick!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/26 16:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017