Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City Economic Development Corporation could name former councilman CEO
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 1:09
Group:
Registered Users
How can we verify this statement?

"Lipski said that at one point, Healy was concerned that Gov. Christopher Christie would disapprove of Lipski being named to the position, but Christie signed off on the hire."

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... =up_to_the_minute_hoboken

Posted on: 2010/12/15 2:31

Re: Jersey City Economic Development Corporation could name former councilman CEO
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Correct - private non-profit 501-C3 corporation.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I assume the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation is an independent agency, or a
quasi-government agency and Lipski getting appointed to it does not require approval by the city council. Correct?

Posted on: 2010/12/13 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Infamous former Councilman Lipski named head of Jersey City agency
The Hudson Reporter - Dec 08, 2010

JERSEY CITY AND BEYOND -- One-time City Councilman Steve Lipski, who gained some nationwide notoriety two years ago after he was arrested in Washington, D.C. for allegedly urinating publicly at a Grateful Dead concert, was named as the CEO of the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation (EDC) Tuesday.

Lipski will be paid a $1 salary, but did not know what benefits he would receive.

"The $1 salary is my way of showing remorse for the episode in Washington D.C. and showing I'm serious about my love for this city and showing my commitment to the city," Lipski said.

Lipski said he has been without a drink since the November, 2008 incident.

Lipski, who served on the City Council from 2001 to 2009, was an unamious vote by the EDC Board of Trustees to assume the autonomous agency's top position. The previous head, Gene Nelson, resigned in November. The EDC is a private not-for-profit corporation created in 1980 to bring about business and community development throughout Jersey City.

Lipski was also the founder and chief school administrator of CREATE Charter School in Jersey City until the school was closed in June when the state declined to renew its charter.

Lipski said the EDC position came about in conversation with Mayor Jerramiah Healy last month when Lipski inquired into an opening on the Jersey City Incinerator Authority board, only for Healy to suggest he consider the EDC position instead. Lipski said that at one point, Healy was concerned that Gov. Christopher Christie would disapprove of Lipski being named to the position, but Christie signed off on the hire.

Lipski will be on the job until June 30, 2011 when the EDC could either continue to operate with funding from the state's Urban Enterprise Zone program, or stop operating if Gov. Christie decides to disband the UEZ program.

Lipski said he will implement a nine-point program in running the EDC including board meetings taking place six times a year rather three and finding alternative sources of revenue to keep the EDC afloat if the UEZ funding is cut. He planned to meet with the 15 staff members on Wednesday to talk to each of them about the direction of the EDC under his guidance.

For the Washington, D.C. incident, he received sentence of one year?s probation in a Washington D.C. courtroom on Jan. 13, and paid a $50 fine and did community service.

For more stories on Lipski, see the links below from www.hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2010/12/10 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
What gets me is the audacity with which the mayor and other HCDC members act. They just keep slapping on the same old retreads over and over without regard to public opinion. Their nepotism and palm greasing is one giant F**k You to the citizens of Hudson County.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know that Lipski was on the felony re-employment program that cityhall runs.

It's sad that we are laying off cops, but promoting drunks with poor business management and poor social judgement skills.
Not to mention a 'touch of nepatism' with his developers friends and previous relationships for this appointment !

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/9 20:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(Wow he is lucky he didn?t kill anyone..not with the piss but with his car on the sidewalk!!!)

LIPSKI BUST A REPEAT OF THE PAST

Dead Head tunes, booze didn't mix well in '06, either
Friday, November 14, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A drunk driving arrest in Pennsylvania in 2006 after a Grateful Dead tribute band concert put Jersey City Councilman Steven Lipski on the wagon for two years.

But then last Friday in Washington, at another Dark Star Orchestra concert, Lipski relapsed and was arrested on charges he urinated on two people in the crowd.

Since that scandalous arrest, Lipski has been showered with ridicule and scorn in the media and on online forums. It also resulted in his dramatic public confession on Monday to being an alcoholic.

It was not his first run-in with the law following some drinking at a Dark Star Orchestra concert. According to court records, Lipski was arrested on Dec. 8, 2006 in Abington, Pa., on charges that included driving with a blood alcohol level more than double the legal limit, driving on a sidewalk, reckless driving, recklessly endangering another person, careless driving and disregarding a traffic lane.

Lipski, who also directs a Jersey City charter school, was a apparently a handful for the police. He was additionally charged with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct/fighting, and disorderly conduct/obscene language or gesture.

Last night, the 44-year-old councilman refused to discuss specifics of his 2006 arrest, saying only his was the sole vehicle involved and that no one was hurt.

"I had gone to see the Dark Star Orchestra show, had a few drinks, and fell asleep at the wheel," he added.

Lipski said the accident prompted him to go on a two-year dry streak, until he found himself last week downing gin and tonics with longtime chums down in Washington.

The two Pennsylvania disorderly conduct charges and the charges of driving on the sidewalk, reckless driving and endangering another person were all withdrawn.

With respect to the remaining offenses, a judge allowed Lipski to enter into Pennsylvania's Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition Program and ordered him to do community service and undergo a year of supervised release....

old JJ piece

Posted on: 2010/12/9 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Has Lipski been convicted of any crimes?

Posted on: 2010/12/9 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
DanL wrote: please look ahead to the 5:30 minute mark, pay to play exchanges - <>
Lipski getting caught red-handed, and all he can say is, well, my treasurer forgot to sign the reports when they were sent out, and that you (Fulop) accept money from developers too. I love it! Let's look at this objectively - 1. It is nobody's problem but yours that the treasurer didn't sign the reports. 2. Whether Fulop accepts money from developers as well is not the point - at least he filed the ELEC reports to show it. Jeesh. Oh and who is that snotty-looking redhead with the smirk on her face when Lipski gave his dumb response to Fulop? I could be wrong but she looks like she supports Lipski. I assume she was not a council member.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
What is Lipski a Klansmen? First he insults the Polish and Irish and then Dominicans. Unbelievable.

+1 - That's the Lipski plan: Blame everyone but Lipski.

Video 1: Very interesting to see how the hose has nothing to say once Fulop's little yellow pad came out. It was like a garlic necklace to a vampire (or werewolf - which one does that work on again?)

Video 2: I think I felt a vein pop out of my temple. Blood is all over my keyboard.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
What is Lipski a Klansmen? First he insults the Polish and Irish and then Dominicans. Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... inues-alcohol-treatment-?

Road to recovery
Lipski announces he won?t run for office; continues alcohol treatment

Second of two parts. "After much careful consideration and reflection, I shall not seek reelection. This is not an easy decision, but one with which I am comfortable. I've served on the council for eight years, representing Ward C, the Journal Square section. It's been a great honor and learning experience for which I shall be forever grateful. But it is time for me to take a step back. I need to step back because I did not manage my life well, and let alcohol at times become a fix for the stress I was experiencing??

Jersey City Councilman Steve Lipski summed up his past and present with his announcement last week that he will not run for his council seat in the upcoming municipal election in May.

In the second of a two-part interview with the Jersey City Reporter, Lipski discussed his future. Lipski was arrested on Nov. 7 for simple assault for allegedly urinating from a balcony during a Grateful Dead tribute concert at Washington D.C.?s ?Nightclub 9:30.? Lipski, a councilman and president and founder of the CREATE charter school is a known fan of the Grateful Dead and of the tribute band, Dark Star.

The day after the incident, Lipski went to court and entered a not guilty plea. A few days later, at a November city council caucus meeting, Lipski apologized to the public, and acknowledged that he is a recovering alcoholic who had been sober for 23 months before the incident.

He received his sentence of one year?s probation in a Washington D.C. courtroom on Jan. 13. His probation could be reduced to six months based on good behavior, performing community service, and seeking counseling for alcoholism. He also paid a $50 fine.

His sentence was based on entering what is known as an ?Alford plea,? in which the defendant does not admit the act and asserts innocence, but admits that sufficient evidence exists that could convince a judge or jury to reach a guilty verdict. Lipski said he was facing six months in jail and a $1,000 fine if he did not agree to the plea.

Lipski had also been arrested for drunk driving in 2006 in Pennsylvania.

Staying sober and loving it

In the days after the Nov. 7 incident, Lipski returned to the condition that he?d had been in before the scandal resulting from the Tanqueray-and-tonics he drank that evening: sober.

For the past three months, he has gone several times every day for alcohol counseling, has pursued a healthier diet, and has engaged in daily prayer and reflection. He even has his Grateful Dead and Dark Star memorabilia packed away, reminders of the drinking and good times of yesterday, but has not ruled out going to future Dark Star shows.

?I feel healthier, with more peace of mind,? Lipski said. ?As soon as I got back to Jersey City from D.C., I was worried about my marriage, my council seat and my school, and how I would be received.?

He has also taken the drastic step of having medical tests done at the Reston, Va. clinic of noted psychiatrist Daniel Amen to study his genetic predisposition to alcohol. For Lipski, that meant reaching into the deep recesses of his mind to gauge the odds of regressing back to ?impulsive? behavior. It also meant thinking back to a childhood that in some ways brought about the problems of his adulthood.

When the drinking started

Lipski said his Polish-Irish background made him susceptible to alcohol. He recalled as a young boy being given drinks by relatives.

?I drank to anesthetize myself from the pain.? ? Steve Lipski
________

Then his drinking habits accelerated at the age of 12 after his father died when he was hit by a truck.

?I drank to anesthetize myself from the pain,? Lipski said. ?Between the ages of 12 and 18 is when I can remember drinking often.?

But Lipski didn?t let the imbibing interfere with being an overachiever. He was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout, played Little League baseball, ran track and played football at Dickinson High School, and served in the U.S. Army Reserves as a drill sergeant. He earned a scholarship to West Point Military Academy.

But instead, he studied at Seton Hall University, where he received two undergraduate degrees and two master's degrees. More recently, he earned a master's degree in education at Teachers College, Columbia University.

During his twenties, Lipski was a social drinker while he was a teacher in the New York City school system. It was also during this time when he met his wife-to-be, Yraida.

?Actually, my drinking increased as I started seeing my future wife, since I was socializing with her Dominican relatives more, and I was trying to fit in with them,? Lipski said.

The drinking increased when he entered politics, first running and losing as an independent candidate in 1997. Then in 2001, he won a seat on the City Council.

Now, with about five months left before his second four-year term expires, Lipski is looking forward to a busy life without the title of councilman.

?Maybe in the future I?ll run for council again, or even for Hudson County Freeholder,? Lipski said. ?But [sooner], I want to work on opening a new school, spending my time with my wife and being a better person.?

Posted on: 2010/12/8 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
skip ahead to the to the 11:20 minute mark, if you let the whole video load, you can then move ahead -

City Council Approves Toll Brothers Ammendments from LE ARSENAL AV on Vimeo.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
please look ahead to the 5:30 minute mark, pay to play exchanges -

Posted on: 2010/12/8 22:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/8 20:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/12/8 20:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting comments from people signing recall petition:

http://recallteamhealy.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2010/12/8 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
That $1 salary means to me there's some real money to be made in there somewhere. Robert Moses took no salaries for his many concurrent appointed positions and was not wealthy like Bloomberg, yet lived in a mansion on LI, owned a yacht and was driven by a chauffeur. (he never learned to drive himself though he built more NY highways than anyone in history)

The HCDO just can't keep it's snout out of the trough. Will they be smarter than the last batch of indictees?

I'm no big fan of Robert Moses either, but just for the record...

From the New York Times:

Longtime village residents recalled an eccentric man who preferred bare lightbulbs over lampshades to maximize the electricity he paid for, and an unparalleled road-builder who never drove a car but was instead chauffeured around in the back of a limousine. He also never owned but rented his home on Thompson Avenue.

''He never had money in his pocket,'' said Judy Skillen, a Babylon resident whose father, Ellison Driscoll, was the photographer for the state Parks Commission for 44 years and often accompanied Moses on business. ''My father would pay the tolls,'' Mrs. Skillen said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/28/nyr ... s-him-back-in-bronze.html

==========================================

From the New Republic:

Jackson tells us that Moses's estate when he died in 1981 was worth all of $50,000. "Certainly there are no material rewards [in public service]," Moses wrote, "comparable to those which can be expected from similar devotion to private work." He continued: "I made up my mind long ago to get my rewards from the dogwood the curving parkway, the spiderwork of suspension bridges, the reclaimed waterfront, the demolition of slums, the crack of a baseball bat and the shouting of children in playgrounds." All this flies in the face of Caro's portrait. And in his later years Moses described his work in building middle-class housing developments in the city as replacing "uninhabitable structures built by conscienceless speculators before we had adequate tenement legislation." That is also the way LaGuardia thought of his own achievement in building housing projects for the poor.

http://www.powells.com/review/2007_07_26.html

Posted on: 2010/12/8 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
That $1 salary means to me there's some real money to be made in there somewhere.

Would love to know if the hose will be accepting medical benefits. Will he also be accruing pension time for his magnanimous "Giving Back to Jersey City" image rehab stint?

Posted on: 2010/12/8 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
?The state closed CREATE after citing poor student performance, failure to complete state-mandated reports, high staff turnover and failure to provide a structured learning environment, among other things.?

Wow he couldn?t run a school and he is going to head this?. www.jcedc.org

WTF!!!

Quote:
?We are pleased to have someone with Steve?s knowledge, experience, diligence and enthusiasm to serve in this capacity,? Healy said.

Hey what happens after June 30, 2011? I bet he gets appointed again but this time he will take a nice big salary.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
He said he didn?t want people to think he only got the position because of his relationship with Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy.

Of course not! It never crossed my mind!

a-holes.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
How the hell does Lipski the Urinator still get a job in this city?

Stop giving handouts! Stop giving golden showers!

Posted on: 2010/12/8 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
That $1 salary means to me there's some real money to be made in there somewhere. Robert Moses took no salaries for his many concurrent appointed positions and was not wealthy like Bloomberg, yet lived in a mansion on LI, owned a yacht and was driven by a chauffeur. (he never learned to drive himself though he built more NY highways than anyone in history)

The HCDO just can't keep it's snout out of the trough. Will they be smarter than the last batch of indictees?

Posted on: 2010/12/8 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
either we need the JC EDC or we don't. this appointment says we don't. eliminate it and roll its functions back into the city, save money, done.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrecall wrote:
?We are pleased to have someone with Steve?s knowledge, experience, diligence and enthusiasm to serve in this capacity,? Healy said. ?In addition to serving on the City Council and the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, Steve has lived and operated businesses throughout this city, knows the issues, and will be an asset as we continue to advance economic development in Jersey City.?

The man has been a failure in every enterprise he has entered. The latest being his failed charter school. Leave it to Team Healy to choose a reprobate like Lipski.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
With a double-dipper as business administrator...

Give the man his due. He quadruple dips.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 2:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ey_city_councilman_6.html

Former Jersey City councilman named CEO of Economic Development Corporation
Published: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 7:35 PM Updated: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 7:39 PM
Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City Economic Development Corporation Board of Trustees named Steve Lipski the agency?s new chief executive officer tonight.
Lipski replaces Eugene Nelson who retired last month due to health problems after 25 years at the autonomous agency.
The board discussed Lipski?s appointment in closed session and when it reopened to the public Chairwoman Rosemary McFadden, who is also a deputy mayor, announced Lipski had been unanimously voted in.
Lipski, a former city councilman, said he will serve until June 30, 2011 and will be paid only $1 during that period.
He said there were several reasons for forgoing his salary, among them is he wants to give back to the city, which he feels he disgraced when he was charged with urinating on fellow concertgoers at a Washington, D.C., bar in November 2008. He later admitted having a drinking problem and serves as President of the Hudson County National Coalition Against Alcohol and Drug Dependence.
Lipski, who served on City Council from 2001 to 2009, did not seek reelection after that incident.
?I feel I disgraced the city and I want to give back,? he said. ?I love this city.?
He said he didn?t want people to think he only got the position because of his relationship with Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and also didn?t feel he could take a salary during a time when police officers are facing layoffs and the city?s Urban Enterprise Zone could be shut down by the state.
Prior to the board voting, Lipski offered a nine-point plan for how he would run the agency. Among his proposals was to improve communications between the EDC and the board of trustees; to meet with staff and analyze the agency?s mission and focus on priorities; to evaluate the structure to improve efficiency; and to promote the agency and focus on networking to find alternate sources of revenue.
?I am truly grateful and I am humbled,? he said of his appointment.
Lipski?s background is in education. He founded and served as chief school administrator of CREATE Charter School in Jersey City. The state declined to renew the school?s charter, citing poor student performance and failure to provide a structured learning environment. The facility closed in June.
Lipski has refuted that saying his students performed better than those at other charter high schools in the county.
Although he has taught at colleges, including Hudson County Community College, New Jersey City University and St. Peter?s College, Lipski said the CREATE closure made him want to pursue a career outside of education. He took a real estate course and obtained his license in October.
Lipski said he approached Healy about a vacancy at the Jersey City Incinerator Authority and the mayor asked him to apply for the EDC job.
?We are pleased to have someone with Steve?s knowledge, experience, diligence and enthusiasm to serve in this capacity,? Healy said. ?In addition to serving on the City Council and the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, Steve has lived and operated businesses throughout this city, knows the issues, and will be an asset as we continue to advance economic development in Jersey City.?

Posted on: 2010/12/8 2:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a comment posted in the past...

Interesting comment in:
http://www.nj.com/forums/jerseycity/index.ssf?extlink?artid=174084

33497. There is as much chance of the Recall Movement getting off the ground
by tomrepnj, 11/16/10 7:15 AM
As I have of Getting in the HCDO Sports Hall Of Fame-[Zero].Jersey City Voters love what the Gang does to them .High Taxes- Dual Jobs -Crime-Perks -Power -Money is a HCDO right of passage..So on to something else to fill the day with.Dpw is very busy the last two days filling up the City cars for the Trip to Atlantic City.Mr "Inside Out 'tells me there will be a camera crew filming the Council people from the Time they get up to the time they go to bed to see if they are doing city business.or just one big party on the taxpayers.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
With a double-dipper as business administrator and a degenerate retread as (potentially) the CEO for the JCEDC, is there any wonder why this city is in such poor financial condition? Lipski's economic background includes what, exactly? He seems more suited to teach high school English than to be the CEO of the JCEDC. Yeah, I am sure they did a thorough search and found that the best candidate just happened to be here already.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 22:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
So the guy who pissed on people at a niteclub is now in charge of a major city agency.This is Healy pissing on us all.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Amazing ! Another Team Healy loser.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 21:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login