Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Jersey City Police Department lay offs and budget cuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

Most Ped bridges are across uncontrolled highways and such, like the Grand Central Pwy. The West St Bridge was an exception and a boondoggle, and was only done because the road is so wide. There's no reason for a bridge over a 4 lane local road with lights on it. What we need is traffic enforcement. I'm a big fan of the traffic cams that don't try to identify the driver, just issue a fine like a parking ticket. It serves as a deterrent without violation of privacy.

You also seem to have missed the obvious fact that when they built the mall they tried their damnedest to keep out the "barbarians" across Marin! The Garage is a Chinese Wall. The HPNA had to threaten to sue to get the Marin doors put in.

1. Don't condescend to your superiors.

2. I haven't missed anything. I said they "should" have built it. That remains true.

3. There's also no reason for there to be cops and crossing guards simultaneously directing traffic. A traffic light would be just fine there, as I've pointed out before.

4. While you are babbling on about Manhattan, I'll point out the pedestrian bridge built over Kennedy Blvd. by St Peters. I'm sure that this was at the expense of the college. I suggest that Le Frak or whomever owns the mall now be forced to build a bridge if they want to build any more buildings.

Crossing Marin is deadly. It's a disgusting road to walk on, and the sidewalks are too close to traffic often traveling in far in excess of the speed limit. It's a failure of city planning and a testament to the need for better urban design. Not the continuation of dystopian police-state tactics like traffic cams.

Duh.

Wow. A bad attitude combined with a conflicting positions like being against a "police state" yet wanting to force a private developer to build a bridge over a public road, rather than walk down to the light and crosswalk at 8th. Not that a stop light at 9th isn't a good idea, but the whining for footbridges over everything from Marin to the Morris Canal to the Hudson itself is tedious. Maybe you need to move to the burbs if a city street is that terrifying to you.("sidewalks are too close to traffic"!!!)

Posted on: 2010/12/17 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Most Ped bridges are across uncontrolled highways and such, like the Grand Central Pwy. The West St Bridge was an exception and a boondoggle, and was only done because the road is so wide. There's no reason for a bridge over a 4 lane local road with lights on it. What we need is traffic enforcement. I'm a big fan of the traffic cams that don't try to identify the driver, just issue a fine like a parking ticket. It serves as a deterrent without violation of privacy.

You also seem to have missed the obvious fact that when they built the mall they tried their damnedest to keep out the "barbarians" across Marin! The Garage is a Chinese Wall. The HPNA had to threaten to sue to get the Marin doors put in.

1. Don't condescend to your superiors.

2. I haven't missed anything. I said they "should" have built it. That remains true.

3. There's also no reason for there to be cops and crossing guards simultaneously directing traffic. A traffic light would be just fine there, as I've pointed out before.

4. While you are babbling on about Manhattan, I'll point out the pedestrian bridge built over Kennedy Blvd. by St Peters. I'm sure that this was at the expense of the college. I suggest that Le Frak or whomever owns the mall now be forced to build a bridge if they want to build any more buildings.

Crossing Marin is deadly. It's a disgusting road to walk on, and the sidewalks are too close to traffic often traveling in far in excess of the speed limit. It's a failure of city planning and a testament to the need for better urban design. Not the continuation of dystopian police-state tactics like traffic cams.

Duh.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

(not that Marin by any means is a good candidate for one)

Sez who? Who are you to pronounce if it's a good candidate or not?

Seems to me that thousands of people cross Marin at their peril daily. A pedestrian bridge should have been stipulation of building the mall in the first place.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
^^^
Shill!

Posted on: 2010/12/17 2:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
The PA makes millions of dollars for the city and only get a very small percentage back for operating costs. The way this agency is being run over the past year plus , is a more professional , people friendly way.
Lets be honest here... who is going to like an agency who hits us in the pocket? Nobody! Trust me they have gotten me more times then I would like to admit. Once they got me for 7 minutes overtime on the meter. That was frustrating but I was wrong.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
(not that Marin by any means is a good candidate for one)

Sez who? Who are you to pronounce if it's a good candidate or not?

Seems to me that thousands of people cross Marin at their peril daily. A pedestrian bridge should have been stipulation of building the mall in the first place.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City police protest layoffs, mayor issues statement seeking pay lag

Thursday, December 16, 2010, 2:05 PM
By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

They marched in carrying signs calling on city officials to ?fire the cronies, keep the cops? and accusing Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah. T Healy of being anti-unions.

About 200 police officers and supporters lined the walls of the City Council chambers during Wednesday night?s meeting in protest of a proposal to layoff 82 police officers and demote 12 supervisors.

Joseph Delaney, president of the police supervisors union, said data shows the city had hired more civilian employees than police, even during a hiring freeze.

He said in 2007 the city hired 25 police officers and 25 civilians. In 2008, 30 police officers and 46 civilians. Last year he said 27 officers were hired and 21 civilians.

This year, during a hiring freeze, no police were brought on despite a large number of retirements, but 30 civilians were hired, Delaney said.

He said 41 police supervisors have retired through attrition, if you look at the last three years that number jumps to 57.

Mark Razzoli, a spokesperson for the Police Officers Benevolent Association, urged Healy to be like Trenton Mayor Tony Mack who said he would find ways to cut the budget without laying off any police or firefighters.

While Trenton has pledged to avert layoffs, Newark this month cut 167 cops. Atlantic City reduced its force from 365 to 305 this year, but recently hired back 17 officers after the union agreed to concessions. Camden, one of the most dangerous cities in the country, notified 180 of its 373 officers they will be let go early next year.

But Razzoli said he felt it was unfair the police were asked to cut $8 million, which means layoffs. Police were critical of the Fire Department, which is cutting $7 million, but avoiding layoffs because of the high number of retirements this year.

?I think it?s unfair we?re carrying this burden and no one else is,? he said.

The police and firefighters have not been furloughed, or temporarily laid off, over the past two years as other city workers have. In addition the city laid off about 280 part-time, seasonal and provisional workers in February.

Razzoli urged the City Council members to give up their city-owned vehicles and to cut patronage jobs to save police officers.

While Healy didn?t attend the meeting, Council President Peter Brennan read a statement from him before the start of public comment.

Healy attributed the cuts to the ?New Great Depression? and said the city is no longer asking the union leaders to come up with $8 million in cuts to avert layoffs.

?We have reduced our initial request for concessions from the unions by nearly half, and our latest proposal includes only two items totaling approximately $4 million.?

Healy wants the officers to forgo their $1,300 annual uniform allowance and participate in a pay lag, that would mean their last paycheck in 2011 is pushed into January 2012, a separate budget year.

?We remain hopeful that an agreement can be reached and that no officers will be laid off,? Healy?s statement said.

A copy of the city?s latest officers was distributed at the council meeting. On the other side of the paper was a picture of police officers standing in uniform. On top of the image was a question, ?Would you sacrifice your uniform allowance for just one year to save 82 young officers? jobs? Tell your union leaders: Keep cops on the job! You are heroes everyday, be a hero today and prevent the layoffs!?

Union officials argue they have already given concessions, by giving up the traditional health insurance plan, which saved the city millions and accepting a 2.75 percent annual raise instead of 4 percent.

POBA President Jerry DiCicco suggested the city eliminate the police director?s position. He said the city has a police director, fire director and emergency management director in addition to a police chief and fire chief. He said consolidating the director positions would save $320,000 for the police department alone.

He also said 90 police officers are eligible to retire and that should help offset the proposed cuts, but isn?t being factored in.

DiCicco said the police department is already reducing its violent crime, narcotics and gang units be 50 percent in anticipation of the layoffs.

?When you reduce those squads by 50 percent, I have no idea how you?re going to take those guns and drugs off the street,? he said.

Ward F Councilman Steven Fulop was the only elected official to speak on behalf of the police last night, questioning Healy?s new $4 million proposal and saying he didn?t feel any police should be let go.

?For me the math doesn?t work,? he said. ?When you say 82 police should be laid off and then the number becomes $4 million and you?re still requesting 82 police officers, there?s something wrong there.?

Posted on: 2010/12/16 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCwestie wrote:
The Parking Authority has more expenses than revenue and runs in the red each year somewhere in the range of 600k. This 600k is then covered by the Jersey City tax payer to keep this crony mill functioning. Police can do that job. Consolidation of redundant service saves money period.

I thought that in the red nonsense was over a few years ago. Most cities get lots of cash from their parking enforcement. Where can we find the JCPA's annual report? There's nothing at all on this "public" agency's website or by googling. Even if their productivity is that low, having highly paid and benefited cops doing that work is absurd. It's like having doctors mop the hospital floors because the janitors do it badly. The clear solution is to better manage the janitors, or the JCPA.

As for a pedestrian bridge over any roadway (not that Marin by any means is a good candidate for one), they were virtually wiped out by ADA compliance. The bridge over West St in TriBeCa cost $10m, in part because it needed to include an elevator at either end.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I would also like to see the city look into contracting out for sanitation services. It is alot more cost efficient to contract it out to a private company and have jersey city residents work for them. The cost of waste disposal, salaries & benefits, equipment are just way to high. One new garbage truck costs around $300,000. CUT IT!

Sanitation has been contracted out to Waste Management Inc for years.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Why do they have a cop AND a crossing guard in the mornings to help kiddies cross Marin?

How could it NOT be more economical to simply install a traffic light? Or build a foot bridge!!!

A footbridge at Marin and 9th might be a danged great idea. Remove the light and another at Marin and 8th would be awesome. Nice thinking outside the box RJ.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Theres 2 Big inflatable rats outside city hall right now.

ALso about the crossing guard issue, There hasent been a crossing guard on the corner of Union & WestSide Ave in 3 days!!! Both morning & afternoon!

Posted on: 2010/12/15 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
I'm hoping the cops bring that big inflatable rat with them. It sorta resembles the new City Business Administrator. What a disaster Mr. Kelly has been.

Posted on: 2010/12/15 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Why do they have a cop AND a crossing guard in the mornings to help kiddies cross Marin?

How could it NOT be more economical to simply install a traffic light? Or build a foot bridge!!!

Posted on: 2010/12/14 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As Jersey City police union puts up billboards, both sides say talks aimed at preventing layoffs are stalled

Tuesday, December 14, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES - JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Over the weekend, the Jersey City Police Benevolent Association put up billboards urging Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy to back off plans to lay off 82 police officers and demote 12 supervisors.

Although Healy and the police union are trying to reach a compromise to prevent some or all of the layoffs, both sides said yesterday negotiations have stalled.

One billboard is posted at the intersection of Routes 1 & 9 and Duncan Avenue, the other is at Route 139 (the State Highway) and Palisade Avenue.

The billboard at Duncan Avenue tells motorists that the cuts will lead to more crime, more shootings and more murders, and urges residents to call the Mayor's Office. The other billboard states in huge letters: "Mayor Healy, stop the police layoffs, keep Jersey City safe."

The city is set to lay off 82 officers and demote 12 supervisors in February.

"Our door will remain open during the 45-day process so that we can come to a mutually beneficial solution to address our city's deficit and keep Jersey City safe," DeCicco said.

The union has also launched the website www.keepjerseycitysafe.com with an online petition against the layoffs.

Healy didn't comment on the billboards but released a statement saying the city is only looking for $4 million in concessions from the unions, down from $8 million.

If the union leaders agree to the concessions no officers would be laid off, said Healy, who noted that commitment was put in writing on Dec. 3.

"One of the measures, a pay lag, would cost the officers nothing, while the other is asking all officers to forgo their annual $1,300 uniform allowance for one year only," Healy said in the statement.

Healy said the department has a $93 million budget and the average salary across the department is $100,000.

The department has 829 officers and supervisors.

Jerry DeCicco, president of the POBA, said members are considering a five-day pay lag and have presented other proposals to the city to cut costs, including imposing a public safety fee on tax-abated properties in the city.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/12/10 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/30 1:18
Group:
Registered Users
The Parking Authority has more expenses than revenue and runs in the red each year somewhere in the range of 600k. This 600k is then covered by the Jersey City tax payer to keep this crony mill functioning. Police can do that job. Consolidation of redundant service saves money period.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
How many Parking Authority employees are equal to one police pfficer of the JCPD ? J.C. runs the police dept. on a priority system. Wouldn't it be a better idea to let go of more Parking Authority employees than cops. I'd rather have people commit criminal acts by parking their cars then harming another's well being.

The Parking Authority is an autonomous agency. It's personnel costs are not in the City budget and have no effect on JCPD hiring or firing.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 2:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 1:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/12/4 18:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Parking Authority is political, that will never happen

Posted on: 2010/12/4 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
How many Parking Authority employees are equal to one police pfficer of the JCPD ? J.C. runs the police dept. on a priority system. Wouldn't it be a better idea to let go of more Parking Authority employees than cops. I'd rather have people commit criminal acts by parking their cars then harming another's well being.

Posted on: 2010/12/4 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City police officers angry at mayor over plan for layoffs march and yell at him outside his fundraiser

Friday, December 03, 2010
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy received a loud and rude welcome last night as he stepped out of a car to attend his fundraiser at Puccini's Restaurant on West Side Avenue.

Roughly 200 Jersey City police officers, angry over Healy's talk of layoffs and multimillion-dollar union givebacks, had gathered in front the catering house to give the mayor and his supporters a piece of their mind.

When Healy was dropped off at the steps of Puccini's the crowd booed, yelled "Shame on you!" and pressed in on him.

Before Healy got there, the cops marched up West Side Avenue toting signs that read, "Healy is anti-labor," "Fire the cronies, save the cops," "Healy lies," and "Save the city, stop police layoffs."

Bagpipers from the Port Authority Police Department led the protesters and the PAPD also set up a comfort station serving piping hot coffee. Two huge inflatable rats, symbols of anti-union activity, were set up right outside the catering facility, located at Broadway and West Side Avenue.

The protest snarled traffic at the intersection, where car horns blared in support of the Police Officer Benevolent Association members.

On Wednesday, Healy announced his intention to submit plans in Trenton to lay off 82 police officers and demote 12 superior officers.

Yesterday, he said he was holding off on those plans in light of an encouraging meeting with union officials at City Hall late Wednesday.

Posted on: 2010/12/4 7:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
They all know these items to cut... A 9th grader from McNair can look at it and point out all these areas(including parking spaces). The question is, why are they not doing the right thing for the tax payers?

In case, the mayor is looking to rebuild his image with the tax payers, all he needs to do is, in his own words, "FAIRNESS, FAIRNESS, FAIRNESS."

Cut all the cronies and their luxuries before compromise on tax payers, SAFETY. Is it too much to ask ?

This is going to comeback again next year. This is not getting better, raising health care costs, school board costs, bonds interests, etc., etc., If they think, reval is going to solve the problems, they are VERY wrong!!!

Posted on: 2010/12/3 18:07

Re: Healy says police union is balking at plan to lay off 82 cops and demote 12 senior officers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/30 15:01
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
That's old news:
Jersey City decides not to send police layoff plan to Trenton as union and mayor vow to resume negotiations to cut costs
Friday, December 03, 2010
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy held off yesterday on filing a plan in Trenton to lay off 82 police officers and demote 12 superior officers in hopes the city's rank-and-file police union and his administration can strike a deal on concessions.

On Wednesday night, Healy announced his intention to file the layoff plan with the state yesterday. But after he made that announcement, police union officials showed up at City Hall and the mayor and the union honchos apparently bridged some differences.

Healy yesterday attributed the divide that nearly led to the submission of the layoff plan to a failure to communicate.

"The union guys told me that they didn't get all the information, but they did tell me (that) with all the information they have now, they want an opportunity to sit down, eyeball it, and see if we can come to some consensus," Healy said yesterday. "I am absolutely open and hopeful we can do it."

Healy reiterated yesterday that the city wants to institute a "pay lag" with the union that would save the city about $3.4 million and he wants the officers to agree to a one-time give-back of the $1,300 annual uniform allowance for a savings of $1.2 million.

The "pay lag" would essentially mean that officers would be owed a week's pay that they would receive upon retirement, officials said.

The mayor said the administration and police brass found cuts and revenue sources that would save another $2.4 million.

Healy said the concessions by POBA members, combined with efforts by the department to cut costs and find revenues, would avert layoffs completely. He seemed surprised the deal hadn't been accepted by the union.

POBA President Jerry DeCicco said yesterday that the union had not been informed of the mayor's proposal before he announced it to the media Wednesday night. He said the union was still operating on a written proposal made by the city before Thanksgiving that demanded six concessions for a savings of $8 million.

"We had no knowledge they were going to announce anything like that, and there is a little mistrust right now," DeCicco said. "There has to be an iron clad guarantee that not a single police officer will get laid off if we are to consider his new proposal. He owes that to residents, and he owes it to police."

DeCicco said he plans to meet with city officials for talks today but noted that the layoff process will take a month or two and there is plenty of time to negotiate.

Once notified, Trenton has 30 days to approve a layoff plan. The city would then have to provide 45 days notice to the workers being laid off.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 91361143322270.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2010/12/3 17:26

Healy says police union is balking at plan to lay off 82 cops and demote 12 senior officers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor says police union is balking at 2 fiscal maneuvers so he's asking state to approve plan to lay off 82 cops and demote 12 senior officers

Thursday, December 02, 2010
By BRETT WILSHE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Saying that negotiations to wring $8 million worth of concessions out of Jersey City's rank-and-file police union collapsed yesterday, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy says that he is submitting plans to Trenton today to lay off 82 cops and demote 12 superior officers.

"I loathe to do this. The police do a terrific job," Healy said last night at City Hall. "But the unions want to open up the contract and go through the whole thing. There's no time for that."

Healy said that proposals put before the leaders of the Jersey City Police Officers Benevolent Association include a "pay lag" that would save the city roughly $3.4 million - and cost the officers nothing, according to Healy - and a one-time give-back of the officers' $1,300 annual uniform allowance that would save an additional $1.2 million.

Jerry DeCicco, president of the POBA, blasted the administration's actions and said it was a misnomer to call what occurred between city officials and the union "negotiations."

"It really wasn't a negotiation. It was more of a dictatorship," DeCicco said yesterday. "Either you take $8 million in concessions, or we'll lay off 100 cops. That's not how a democratic system works."

DeCicco, whose union represents roughly 700 rank-and-file officers, said the administration's so-called "pay lag" amounts to a week's less pay for his members over the course of the year.

City officials said yesterday that they want to put police officers on the same pay cycle as other city workers. The adjustment would save the city one police payroll during the fiscal year and the cops wouldn't lose money since they would be paid in the following fiscal year, city officials said.

Part of the layoff plan includes the demotion of two captains, four lieutenants, and six sergeants. Officials with the Jersey City Police Superiors Officers Association declined to comment yesterday.

Even if his union agreed to the proposed concessions, there is no assurance jobs would be saved, DeCicco said.

"We're dealing with a dishonest administration, they won't even guarantee in writing that these concessions will save jobs," DeCicco said. "They cannot be trusted."

Healy said last night he still hopes to work out a deal with the union to avoid layoffs and after plans are submitted to the state, the parties still have 45 days to reach an agreement.

"You know, this is real simple. Every employee of Jersey City is taking a hit, but we can't furlough public safety employees due to state law," Healy said.

"Sixty-seven percent of the city's budget goes to public safety employees, including something to the tune of $93 million for their salaries. I think it's perfectly reasonable," he said.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 17:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
we still have not seen a laid out budget plan that should be driving the decisions (of what/where/how much to cut). if the decisions are made piecemeal, they are guaranteed to be bad decisions.

public safety should be the last to go. however, I do question the need for the police and fire director positions and their staff above the police and fire chiefs or at worst need only ONE public safety director.

eliminating the "semi-autonomous" agencies; JCIA, JCPD and especially the Parking Authority, their costs and redundancies while providing much needed civil service protections should have been on the plate of the mayor/council years ago. now, we learn it was studied, not acted on and the current effort is the opposite of what the study recommended.

Yes! The police and fire directors need to go! The autonomous agencies should also be eliminated. The JCIA should fall under the Department of Public Works.

I would also like to see the city look into contracting out for sanitation services. It is alot more cost efficient to contract it out to a private company and have jersey city residents work for them. The cost of waste disposal, salaries & benefits, equipment are just way to high. One new garbage truck costs around $300,000. CUT IT!

Posted on: 2010/12/3 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
we still have not seen a laid out budget plan that should be driving the decisions (of what/where/how much to cut). if the decisions are made piecemeal, they are guaranteed to be bad decisions.

public safety should be the last to go. however, I do question the need for the police and fire director positions and their staff above the police and fire chiefs or at worst need only ONE public safety director.

eliminating the "semi-autonomous" agencies; JCIA, JCPD and especially the Parking Authority, their costs and redundancies while providing much needed civil service protections should have been on the plate of the mayor/council years ago. now, we learn it was studied, not acted on and the current effort is the opposite of what the study recommended.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 15:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 9:01
Group:
Registered Users
If I could write a ticket for every person I see in JC talking on a cell phone while driving, there would be no need to lay off our police officers...and it could save a life!

Posted on: 2010/12/3 9:03

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2010/12/3 6:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
For once I somewhat agree with robotjustin. Waging a war with the public by using sensical reasoning is more than likely useless. However, the system the way it is reaps what it sows. I grant you that there are quite a few who should not be cops simply based upon their lack of basic knowledge in the use of the English language and the proper usage of it when it comes to the written word.
The problem lies with the system. There is a constant insistence that the candidates for police only be from city residents. Therein lies the problem. The police are paid a good salary. Why wouldn't and why shouldn't the citizens of the city demand that they get the best possible candidate for their tax dollar. Who cares where the person comes from. I want then to be intelligent and highly qualified. The old argument that a city resident cares more just doesn't cut it. It is the individual who cares. I'm sure that dedication has nothing to do with where you live. It is a pride thing that makes people strive to do their jobs and I for one want these intelligent driven people to be working for my tax dollars.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jackey wrote:
Once again robotjustin comes up with a doozy (is that spelled right, is that a word) let's ask the English teacher. It's obvious by any posts he or she has made there is nothing in the old noggin but slush.

Jackey my man, I realize this may be hard for you to understand, but you're waging an information war for the hearts and minds of a cynical and mistrustful population who more often than not are inclined to think of the police as dunderheaded bullies.

Thusly, I simply made the suggestion that you might be able to help defeat the stereotype of "cop as monotonous dunderheaded automaton" if you'd employ some basic communication tools like, I dunno, paragraphs and punctation.

But thanks for my new tag-line.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 3:17

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017