Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Is there anything you can do after getting your car keyed?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I thought everybody knew that the proper retaliation for someone who has parked like an @$$hole is to break their windshield wipers. Annoying enough to make your point, but doesn't do any permanent damage that can't be fixed with a trip to Pep Boys.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Once again, for those who weren't listening when their mother gave them the lesson - Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right!

My mother taught me "An eye for an eye."

Then perhaps, instead of causing property damage, the "eye for the eye" here could have been calling building management and/or police and have the car towed, perfectly legal, in some ways a bigger inconvenience to the owner of the car and maybe even more expensive than the cost of repairing the scratches (though it really depends on how bad the damage was).

When the car is scratched, the owner can still drive it away and use it. When the car is towed, the owner has to go pay to retrieve it and will have absolutely no legal recourse.

I know that no one comes to this board for sympathy and I wouldn't expect anyone to have any for the guy here. At the same time, people do come here looking for advice or information, and it is really sad when all people do is waste the bandwidth with their pointless mud-slinging.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Once again, for those who weren't listening when their mother gave them the lesson - Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right!

makes the whole world blind

Posted on: 2010/11/8 17:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Posted on: 2010/11/8 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez people... I thought all of our mothers taught us that two wrongs don't make a right.

The owner of the damaged car has already admitted that he was in the wrong for leaving the car parked where he did.

He was simply asking for advice on what to do and if filing a police report would anything - my answer being, probably not in the short term, but it is not a bad idea, because maybe (a big *maybe*, I know) if the police precinct received multiple reports of cars being keyed in the area, the might be willing to do a little extra surveillance in order to catch the offender and/or prevent keying in the future. Yes, I know the police have bigger problems and I'm probably dreaming, but I see no harm in filinga report.

It would certainly irritate me if I was the one blocked and couldn't get out. But I would never intentionally do any property damage - how about calling the police to have it towed? Actually, its possible that getting somebody's car towed might cause them to incur a greater expense than to repair scratches (but what do I know). It would certainly teach me a lesson and also be a major temporary inconvenience.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 6:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

spider wrote:
Quote:

ararar5 wrote:
Not condoning damage to the car... but just wanted to clear up the facts :

1. You knew it was in front of a garage driveway and would trouble the owner - yet you didn't care

2. The owner has left notes for people who have parked there earlier (oh.. let's be specific.. rude notes) which means people do this all the time - yet you didn't care

3. After parking there, you "forgot" about it and left it there till the morning.. potentially inconveniencing the owners significantly - yet you didn't care

Hmmm - and you are the only wronged person here. Interesting.

So you're clearing up the facts that you made up? Ok. Did you read my post? "I realize I was in the wrong if I was blocking them at all, and I do apologize to whomever...Whoever did it, that's the wrong way to deal with it." Where did i say I didn't care? Obviously you read that somewhere else. My landlord even says he doesn't blame for blaming them, and they still got into their garage just fine. "Potentially inconveniencing the owners"? Really? No. They could have called to get it towed if they were so inconvenienced but they werent and vandalizing out of rage is inexcusable. And also found out he has security cameras which will prove everything that happened.

Once again, you're still pointing fingers with zero proof. Get back to us after seeing the videotape.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ararar5 wrote:

1. You knew it was in front of a garage driveway and would trouble the owner - yet you didn't care

2. The owner has left notes for people who have parked there earlier (oh.. let's be specific.. rude notes) which means people do this all the time - yet you didn't care

3. After parking there, you "forgot" about it and left it there till the morning.. potentially inconveniencing the owners significantly - yet you didn't care

So you're clearing up the facts that you made up? Ok. Did you read my post? "I realize I was in the wrong if I was blocking them at all, and I do apologize to whomever...Whoever did it, that's the wrong way to deal with it." Where did i say I didn't care? Obviously you read that somewhere else. My landlord even says he doesn't blame for blaming them, and they still got into their garage just fine. "Potentially inconveniencing the owners"? Really? No. They could have called to get it towed if they were so inconvenienced but they werent and vandalizing out of rage is inexcusable. And also found out he has security cameras which will prove everything that happened.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
[img][/img]

Posted on: 2010/11/8 1:43
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ararar5 wrote:

***applause***

Posted on: 2010/11/7 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26358

Resized Image
$67.90 Standalone IP Wireless WIFI Camera with Night Vision and Pan/Tilt Motors

You could put this in your window -- or even hide it inside your car!

From today's nytimes:

Another option for do-it-yourself surveillance is free software, like www.SupervisionCam.com , which will turn any computer?s Webcam into a motion-activated video camera. It works by detecting the changes in pixelation that occur when something moves and alters the scene. Kenneth Gore, 43, an unemployed welder who lives in Pinellas Park, Fla., used the software to document a neighbor?s cats prowling and fouling the yard around his mobile home.

Mr. Gore not only recorded the cats but also discovered neighbors looking in his windows while he was away. After he showed the video to the manager of the mobile home park, Mr. Gore said, ?The trespassing stopped, because they know they?re being filmed.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/garden/04surveillance.html

Posted on: 2010/11/7 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26358

Resized Image
$67.90 Standalone IP Wireless WIFI Camera with Night Vision and Pan/Tilt Motors

You could put this in your window -- or even hide it inside your car!

Posted on: 2010/11/7 16:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/18 9:55
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/11/7 15:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Unless you have 100% proof that they did it, I'd shut up and move on. My bike was stolen and I have a good idea who did it. But without 100% proof, I'm not going to confront them. You know why? Because there's a chance they didn't do it. And as the above response stated, if they did indeed do it, they might just key your face next. Good luck in whatever you chose to do.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
if i were you, i would not fix the scratches and i would just keep parking in the same place every day, just to screw with him/her

Posted on: 2010/11/6 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
ive only seen them consistently leave rude, passive-aggressive notes on people's cars, but i haven't had any run-ins myself. yeah maybe im just pointing fingers but this type of act usually only happens if someone was provoked. like if a guy parks across 4 spots in a parking lot, that would provoke someone to key it. if this is just a guy that likes scratching things why was just my car scratched and not the other five or six adjacent cars i looked at this morning? and it was just the driver's side like they wanted me to see it as soon as i walked up to it to get in. im not making a HUGE jump to conclusions, it just seems rather premeditated. keying someone's car is a method of revenge.

Cut your losses and your whining, whoever did this is not someone you want to get involved with on any level. The best form of revenge is living well. Move on. On the bright side, your car is a little less attractive to car thieves with that scratch.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Park your car there again and wait with a camera around the corner.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 3:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

In my book, you are the type of insensitive idiot that I would like to key if I could get away with it.

Wow! just wow. You would do hundreds of dollars worth of damage to a car's paint just because you got your panties in a bunch. You're the type of insensitive idiot that makes me glad I'm not you.

You all may want to check out www.autopia.com
It's a forum for car polishing including scratch removal. Search for wet sanding. I bet a forum member in this area may even come and fix it for a reasonable price.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
Right downstairs from my apartment I parked maybe 6" past someone's garage last night but mostly in front of the garbage area to unload boxes and it was raining. I forgot to move my car out of the way and realized when I left for work at 8am. Then I noticed my car was keyed heavily on the driver's side from front to back multiple times. I realize I was in the wrong if I was blocking them at all, and I do apologize to whomever but I still want to file a police report. Will this even do anything?Whoever did it, that's the wrong way to deal with it. It was obviously someone that needed to park there, I don't see any other motive for doing that. I know it could be a random act but why would it happen only the one night I forget to unblock a driveway? I would have much rather they get my car towed instead of vandalizing my property. Anyone else ever deal with this?

I've had people block my garage. The offender invariably gets two tickets - if they block my garage they're also in front of a fire hydrant. Double fine. JC Parking authority/JCPD only tow if the offender's licence plate shows up on their repeat offender list. Also JCPD normally avoid calling for a tow if it's possible to get in and out of the garage, even if it's a tight squeeze.

However, you have pissed off your neighbor. Burden of proof is on you if you want to sue them. I'd recommend you respect their property and access.

In my book, you are the type of insensitive idiot that I would like to key if I could get away with it.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gibbons70 wrote:

don't you know JCPD blames the victim?

You're not kidding. They stole the wheels off my new Civic Si Coupe last year and left it sitting on some speaker cabinets right outside my building (Trump). I had to find out about by getting a call from my building manager saying the cops where going to ticket and tow my car. WTF? I was the victim here and they couldn't give a crap. Luckily a JCPD Captain was driving by and stopped to see what was going on and he chewed out the cops for being such a-holes and told me my car could stay there as long as I needed to get it fixed.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Gibbons70 , I like your profile picture.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 18:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
.......I still want to file a police report. Will this even do anything?

lol.....

let me know how that goes.

don't you know JCPD blames the victim?

why did you park there?
why do you even have a car?
why do you even live here?

Posted on: 2010/11/5 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
ive only seen them consistently leave rude, passive-aggressive notes on people's cars, but i haven't had any run-ins myself. yeah maybe im just pointing fingers but this type of act usually only happens if someone was provoked. like if a guy parks across 4 spots in a parking lot, that would provoke someone to key it. if this is just a guy that likes scratching things why was just my car scratched and not the other five or six adjacent cars i looked at this morning? and it was just the driver's side like they wanted me to see it as soon as i walked up to it to get in. im not making a HUGE jump to conclusions, it just seems rather premeditated. keying someone's car is a method of revenge.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Not for nothing, but do you have any real proof to suspect the person who's garage you blocked?

Seems like a conclusion you are making a huge jump to unless you've had run-ins with that person before.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
i didn't publicly shame anyone.

this can also be a warning to anyone that parks outside of wonder bagels to run in and get something. you might find your car keyed by the angry people who use the garages there.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
My insight is that you shouldn't publicly accuse people of doing damage without proof. If that's trolling, I apologize. I'll delete my shut up, which was admittedly rude.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Likely you can get the scratches out - or at least make them better. Here is a good article:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4216365

Thanks for the article! I'm going to try this tonight.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
You're absolutely right, justin, but I'm going to at least confront the most obvious suspect and do what I can. My car looks like it was massacred by Freddy Kruger and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Maybe I can reason with the person who uses this garage.

I Just thought that being that this is a message board people may share their stories and insight on the subject matter, but obviously trolls would come along telling me to shut up.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on columbus and jersey and park right outside my building everyday and my car has never been touched til now. I sent an email to my landlord who rents out the garages attached to my building to see if I can contact the person. I can understand being pretty annoyed but resorting to that is pretty childish. It was an honest mistake and I bet they didn't realize I'm a tenant upstairs. But it's childish no matter who parked there. I would just tell the police if a car was parked illegally not gouge the entire length of their vehicle.

And yeah I know it's a risk even having a car in jersey city but if I can do anything about this incident I'd like to at least try.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What area of the city do you live in? Do you talk to, or know your neighbors who use this garage? Likely you can get the scratches out - or at least make them better. Here is a good article: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4216365 If they are more than little key scratches then.... But you live in the city - not the burbs - so you might just want to get use to it! Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/11/5 16:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
My car was keyed by the infamous Erie Street Scratcher, a guy with mental health problems who likes scratching things. I have an old car and the mark isn't huge so i never worried about it. But you can probably make a claim if you have comprehensive insurance and a police report may be prudent because the person who keyed your car is probably the person who owns that driveway....

Posted on: 2010/11/5 16:24

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017