Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Value Plus on Newark Ave btw Erie and Grove
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Because those "affluent" types ( I hate when you say that) sleep here and drop their kids of at pre-k, and that's it. Do you know how many times I've met some "affluent" D*** on the path and actually wont admit to living in JC, but simply say they live off the path stop "almost in NYC".

Chicken/egg v. Egg/chicken. It's understandable to be embarrassed by living here if you based your assessment of Jersey City on Newark Ave. and Columbus Drive. But I bet if there were a good reason for those people to stay here (along the lines of the retail/pedestrian zone) people would welcome it. Even the ashamed.

And by "good reason", I don't mean a franchise of a mediocre chain restaurant. People want creativity, diversity and quality. No one flies to NY from Europe for the Best Buy at Union Square or the K-Mart in Penn Station.

I agree and technically Newark ave would have to become creative in order to flourish. I highly doubt that any walmart or other big time chain would set up shop their, nor would anyone really want it. Even Bergenline ave kinda got it right, I mean they have rite aid and gnc and all that but also a lot of independently owned mom and pop stores and restaurants.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Because those "affluent" types ( I hate when you say that) sleep here and drop their kids of at pre-k, and that's it. Do you know how many times I've met some "affluent" D*** on the path and actually wont admit to living in JC, but simply say they live off the path stop "almost in NYC".

Chicken/egg v. Egg/chicken. It's understandable to be embarrassed by living here if you based your assessment of Jersey City on Newark Ave. and Columbus Drive. But I bet if there were a good reason for those people to stay here (along the lines of the retail/pedestrian zone) people would welcome it. Even the ashamed.

And by "good reason", I don't mean a franchise of a mediocre chain restaurant. People want creativity, diversity and quality. No one flies to NY from Europe for the Best Buy at Union Square or the K-Mart in Penn Station.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Because those "affluent" types ( I hate when you say that) sleep here and drop their kids of at pre-k, and that's it. Do you know how many times I've met some "affluent" D*** on the path and actually wont admit to living in JC, but simply say they live off the path stop "almost in NYC". So if these people wont even admit to living in JC why would they want to take a stroll along Newark ave or Central for that matter and do a little shopping.

True. I'm still convinced that most of the population of Newport and a good share of the people in PH believe anything West of Washington is equal to walking through Camden at 2am.

Hah good point, I agree

Posted on: 2010/11/4 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
True. I'm still convinced that most of the population of Newport and a good share of the people in PH believe anything West of Washington is equal to walking through Camden at 2am.

Or Greenville....

Posted on: 2010/11/4 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Because those "affluent" types ( I hate when you say that) sleep here and drop their kids of at pre-k, and that's it. Do you know how many times I've met some "affluent" D*** on the path and actually wont admit to living in JC, but simply say they live off the path stop "almost in NYC". So if these people wont even admit to living in JC why would they want to take a stroll along Newark ave or Central for that matter and do a little shopping.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
heights is actually absolutely correct - Central Avenue in the Heights looks like the Champs-Elysees compared to Newark Avenue. Thriving retail, as well as other stuff I WISH downtown had, like a fish market, authentic italian delis, etc.

Here's my question, to which I truly don't have an answer - how does retail thrive on Central Ave, yet fails miserably, time and time again, on Newark Ave, which is seemingly surrounded and inhabited by a more affluent demographic, and also a demographic that is less likely to own a car??

Because those "affluent" types ( I hate when you say that) sleep here and drop their kids of at pre-k, and that's it. Do you know how many times I've met some "affluent" D*** on the path and actually wont admit to living in JC, but simply say they live off the path stop "almost in NYC". So if these people wont even admit to living in JC why would they want to take a stroll along Newark ave or Central for that matter and do a little shopping. Just like a previous poster said, Newark ave will never see any high end retail because of its proximity to Newport mall. The best you can hope for is some type of bar strip which then you'll be left with the Hoboken crowd.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'll also say that I have NO IDEA why Newark Ave from Jersey to Grove is not made into a pedestrian-only thoroughfare. How many cars go down Newark Ave, to turn right on Grove Street?

I've heard that the storeowners opposed it ... what kind of crack are the storeowners smoking if they think making the street MORE pedestrian-friendly will DECREASE their business?

Newark Ave (and Columbus Drive) are painfully obvious opportunities to showcase the city ... and JC gets a big fat F on both accounts.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
heights is actually absolutely correct - Central Avenue in the Heights looks like the Champs-Elysees compared to Newark Avenue. Thriving retail, as well as other stuff I WISH downtown had, like a fish market, authentic italian delis, etc.

Here's my question, to which I truly don't have an answer - how does retail thrive on Central Ave, yet fails miserably, time and time again, on Newark Ave, which is seemingly surrounded and inhabited by a more affluent demographic, and also a demographic that is less likely to own a car??

Posted on: 2010/11/3 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
At 4,000 sqft and $50 per sqft. 200K annually or $16,666 monthly.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 20:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
That's funny! I wasn't privy to any aforementioned debate on the subject...sorry if I re-opened an old wound.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Oh god not another Trader Joe's debate.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This again what? Did you put to bed the age old question of Whole Foods vs Trader Joe's on Newark ave already? I must have missed it.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

retep1968 wrote:
Trader Joe's makes more sense than Whole Foods. Plus can you imagine the traffic nightmare that either a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods would cause in that location? Parking?

Really??? This again?

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joe's makes more sense than Whole Foods. Plus can you imagine the traffic nightmare that either a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods would cause in that location? Parking?

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
You add some perceptible police presence to the area...

Surely you jest.
Only way that would happen is if they paid for a detail just like nightclubs and construction sites and I don't think a small cinema has that kinda money.

Don't get me wrong, 2 screens would be cool. At the moment, I can't think of anything that would fit there.

If that section of Newark (from clock onward to Path) was more or less a quasi entertainment/retail district, the costs of one or 2 police patrol on Friday/Saturday nights could be borne not just by the movie operator but by the establishments comprising that part of Newark.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
If true, that is insane and explains why there are so many vacant store fronts. We need something (besides the Path) to bring foot traffic to the area.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
That your problem, you are always "just sayin". Those crappy stores pay low rents. The rents on Newark Ave are now 30 per sqft starting aroung Coles and going up to 50 sqft as you get closer to the Path.

Anyway, time will tell...

The guys at the now closed furniture place at Erie & Newark told me they were paying over $20k per month, a lot more than the rate's you're describing.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
You add some perceptible police presence to the area to deter/discourage loitering or kids being rowdy and if you're showing indie/art house or foreign films I doubt you'll attract said teenagers. If it's of The Terminator (action) or Dumb/Dumber (sophomoric comedy) variety, then yeah you'll see those 11-17 y.o. kids but that's not the type of films that would be shown/marketed.

Perceptible police presence?? We do not have a proactive police force now...especially concerning quality of life issues like loitering on Newark Ave. I like the idea but it won't happen.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
Trader Joe's is looking at this space according to reliable neighborhood chatter!!

I heard it was Whole Foods.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
You add some perceptible police presence to the area...

Surely you jest.
Only way that would happen is if they paid for a detail just like nightclubs and construction sites and I don't think a small cinema has that kinda money.

Don't get me wrong, 2 screens would be cool. At the moment, I can't think of anything that would fit there.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And I'm with HRMPH, I have no desire for Jersey City to turn into Hoboken (it's nice to visit for the waterfront/restaurants, but would never want to live there as it's too homogenous for me)

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You add some perceptible police presence to the area to deter/discourage loitering or kids being rowdy and if you're showing indie/art house or foreign films I doubt you'll attract said teenagers. If it's of The Terminator (action) or Dumb/Dumber (sophomoric comedy) variety, then yeah you'll see those 11-17 y.o. kids but that's not the type of films that would be shown/marketed.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As long as they are law abiding, I don't really care, and nor would most JC residents. And although I can only speak for myself, I dont think anyone wants JC to be more like Hoboken. In fact I moved to JC because it wasn't like it.

What would you suggest for the spot?

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
A 2 screen movie theater there would be run over as soon as it opened. None of the young professionals you are dreaming about would dare set foot in there. This isn't Morristown. And if you're thinking an indy center, I doubt there would be enough interest/business.

Why do you think it would be run over? I think it could do more business then what is there currently, considering I've never seen more than a handful of people in that huge store. And not sure what you meant by "young professionals you are dreaming about". On a friday or saturday night, people in the area would be much more inclined to do "dinner and a movie" if they can walk to it, rather then goto the Mall.

When I think of a commercial 2 screen theater in a busy downtown section, I imagine kids ages 11-17 hanging around all night. It's just what happens. You wanna walk down that side walk on a Fri or Sat night with it looking like every highschool in JC just let out? You think these people clamoring for JC to look "more like Hoboken" will frequent that type of scene?

In a perfect world, we could walk there and enjoy a big budget flick without people yelling at the screen or talking loudly on their phones...or an indy/limited release and afterwards saunter across the street to Skinners for a night cap but it just isn't going to happen.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
shadrack wrote: [img]Jersey City NJ[/img] Would be nice to see that hideous facade torn down and restored to it's original appearance.
it's pretty clear from the pictures that this isn't a fa?ade, but an entirely different building.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think a 2 screen or 1 one screen would fare well given the diverse demographics. Downtown Jersey City is a Benneton ad: white hipsters; white, Asian, black, Hispanic professionals; gays of all stripes; young and old people. An operator could show all sorts of films and people could walk to Newark Avenue as opposed to taking train to City or driving to Edgewater, Hoboken or Newport.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 15:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agree that its time to clean house...out with the old and in with the new. As for Newport Mall...that place has it's own problems with keeping tenants around. Unless you are going to the Gap for Jeans, Sears for tools, Macy's for whatever or Kohls for anything else there is absolutely nothing worth going there for.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
A 2 screen movie theater there would be run over as soon as it opened. None of the young professionals you are dreaming about would dare set foot in there. This isn't Morristown. And if you're thinking an indy center, I doubt there would be enough interest/business.

Why do you think it would be run over? I think it could do more business then what is there currently, considering I've never seen more than a handful of people in that huge store. And not sure what you meant by "young professionals you are dreaming about". On a friday or saturday night, people in the area would be much more inclined to do "dinner and a movie" if they can walk to it, rather then goto the Mall.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
[img]Jersey City NJ[/img] Would be nice to see that hideous facade torn down and restored to it's original appearance.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Not necessarily promoting corporate retail, but there is some truth that the Newport Mall has had a hand in delaying the development of Newark Ave. Compare Newark with Montague st. in Brooklyn Heights and you'll see what I mean.

The mall however is not the only problem on Newark. One of the main issues I think is the overly large spaces on the south side of the street. Many are just too big for the kinds of places that should fill the void the mall does not. I think you just need to look at how much has transformed on Grove from Grand all the way up to first st. to see that the smaller places are renting and being reasonably successful.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:40

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017