Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Value Plus on Newark Ave btw Erie and Grove
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
A 2 screen movie theater there would be run over as soon as it opened. None of the young professionals you are dreaming about would dare set foot in there. This isn't Morristown. And if you're thinking an indy center, I doubt there would be enough interest/business.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
So glad to see it go...now for the check cashing places.. clean this strip up!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I've said it before but this part of JC holds such promise/potential given its proximity to the PATH and being the epicenter of downtown (bordered by Harsimus Cove and Van Vorst Park). From the clock at Erie/Newark going toward Path, it should be converted to a Ramblas like Horace Greeley Park with no vehicular traffic. It would increase shopping, dining and socializing exponentially because it would be more conducive to it (and give people options: restaurants, the barcade, independent movie theater, bars, etc.) and business could cross-promote each other (dinner & a movie, etc. like the places below). I am sure people would be more inclined to stay local and come out of their houses/apartments more.

http://www.cablecarcinema.com/

http://www.robertstheatres.com/

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
Newark Ave is by far the best area for development and retail. It has the potential to be the greatest concentration of retail and restaurants in Downtown JC! Skinners, LITM, Saigon Cafe, and now Bon Chon are all proof that good food brings success. Also, there is a new Thai sandwich shop coming to Newark Ave on the corner of Monmouth. There is a huge doggie day care called K9dergarten taking over an entire building on Newark between Jersey and Barrow. Barcade is finally being built out on the corner of Barrow and Newark, Porto is now open for dinner!

327 Flats are almost sold out, 12 of 14 units
Saffron is 50% sold, 39 of 76 units

The fact that real estate is being sold and new businesses are moving in during this economy only means that this area of JC will thrive in the coming years!

The landlords are not dumb, they are clearing out the crappy 99 cent stores and raising rents. They don't care if their retail sits vacant for a year or two, it's a write off for them and they probably own those building outright. They are smarter than you think!

You might not like change but many I like what I am seeing!

I agree, there are a lot of new things on Newark Avenue!

Change is good!

OX was just a dumb, overpriced, very limited hours, meaty kind of place - sorry but it is not a good example of anything!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
A movie theater would be fantastic! There are hundreds of better options for our neighborhood than what currently exists.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 13:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
Just a thought, but with such a large space, how would people feel about a small movie theatre? Maybe 2 screens. Would be great for the bars and restaurants in the area.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
That your problem, you are always "just sayin". Those crappy stores pay low rents. The rents on Newark Ave are now 30 per sqft starting aroung Coles and going up to 50 sqft as you get closer to the Path.

Anyway, time will tell...

Posted on: 2010/11/3 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
We need all of these crappy Newark Ave stores to vacate. Lets finally get some great restaurants and retail. This neighborhood is in a transition. Like it or not, there are many young wealthy professionals moving into the neighborhood!

Hey young wealthy professional, those "crappy" Newark Ave stores are there because they manage to stay in business. They certainly fared better than Ox, didn't they? Perhaps the area is not as young and wealthy as you make it out to be since it's the "crappy" stores that are being subsidized more. Just sayin'.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Just because some people are moving into various new condos doesn't automatically guarantee a retail renaissance. People have moved into the newport area for years that have discretionary income and there is little in the way of restaurants/retail that you see in most brooklyn neighborhoods.

JC needs people that move here to use JC resources and not just have a place to live close to Manattan for half the cost. I think Newark has potential but am not holding my breath given the city's reputation for onerous bs with small biz owners. Furthermore there have been a ton of vacancies all around downtown for some time and I'm not seeing quick turnover at all.

Time will tell, but I think Newark has a way to go and the current economic malaise isn't helping matters...

Posted on: 2010/11/3 12:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joe's is looking at this space according to reliable neighborhood chatter!!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 8:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Newark Ave is by far the best area for development and retail. It has the potential to be the greatest concentration of retail and restaurants in Downtown JC! Skinners, LITM, Saigon Cafe, and now Bon Chon are all proof that good food brings success. Also, there is a new Thai sandwich shop coming to Newark Ave on the corner of Monmouth. There is a huge doggie day care called K9dergarten taking over an entire building on Newark between Jersey and Barrow. Barcade is finally being built out on the corner of Barrow and Newark, Porto is now open for dinner!

327 Flats are almost sold out, 12 of 14 units
Saffron is 50% sold, 39 of 76 units

The fact that real estate is being sold and new businesses are moving in during this economy only means that this area of JC will thrive in the coming years!

The landlords are not dumb, they are clearing out the crappy 99 cent stores and raising rents. They don't care if their retail sits vacant for a year or two, it's a write off for them and they probably own those building outright. They are smarter than you think!

You might not like change but many I like what I am seeing!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It seems that Central Ave. up in the Heights and even Grove St. is doing better than Newark Ave. in DT J.C . Why even have businesses on Newark Ave. in that section it may be better to have condo apartment units leave the shopping districts on Grove, Jersey, and Columbus. Newark Ave has proved itself a failure when it comes to commerce.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed that Hudson Camera is closed ... some sort of state, county or city seizure notice... I know the owner... great guy.. I suspect probably a tax issue... what a surpise... probably just holding on for a small business on Newark Ave and basically taxed out of business. Maybe real estate?

Posted on: 2010/11/3 0:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/10 22:33
From not far off the beaten PATH
Group:
Registered Users
If there are so many wealthy, young professionals in the area who do not care for the retail/restaurants that exist in downtown JC, I suggest moving into Manhattan.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 0:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Is it possible that the dollar store market got a little crowded?

Posted on: 2010/11/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
GREAT! See ya.... We need all of these crappy Newark Ave stores to vacate. Lets finally get some great restaurants and retail. This neighborhood is in a transition. Like it or not, there are many young wealthy professionals moving into the neighborhood!

Do you ever walk down that street? Clearly either space is not as in demand as you imagine, rents are too high, or the JC Buildings Dept's reputation scares off entrepreneurs who can't afford years of getting jerked around before even opening. Maybe all 3.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
GREAT! See ya.... We need all of these crappy Newark Ave stores to vacate. Lets finally get some great restaurants and retail. This neighborhood is in a transition. Like it or not, there are many young wealthy professionals moving into the neighborhood!

Posted on: 2010/11/2 22:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Value Plus is not a 99? store. It's close, but that's not what it is. And yes, I'm sure the landlord will try to entice someone to come in and pay higher rent. Maybe Western Beef will go there.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
From all I've heard dollar stores are doing such a bang up business in this economy that Walmart and other chains are opening Dollar sections. My money is on losing their lease. Get ready for another long term empty storefront as a landlord holds out for some imagined big payday.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

with the mall so close, we're not going to get corporate retail stores along Newark ave.

FG

You hit the nail on the head. What you will get instead are a bunch of independently owned businesses which will close in a year and give way to another.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:30

Value Plus on Newark Ave btw Erie and Grove
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
You may have noticed, the Value Plus on Newark with its "Inventory Reduction" sale.

Well, I asked the lady behind the counter and apparently December is going to be their last month.

So even $.99 cent stores are struggling. First Milano Furnature, now Value Plus.

Not sure if they had their rent raised, or what, but not certain what else could go into such a large space.

What is Jersey City doing to help these struggling businesses?

I know some are agains't 99 cent stores, but with the mall so close, we're not going to get corporate retail stores along Newark ave.

Any thoughts? If businesses aren't helped and forced to close, then no one will want to move here... it will be like the 60's and 70's all over again. Especially if this tax reval/hike goes through.

Don't forget to vote today. Vote out the incumbants.

FG

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:11

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017