Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Developer prohibits volunteers from cleaning up contested Sixth Street Embankment

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/22 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
So Hyman thinks he owns the embankment property. But he seems to be shirking his civic duty to maintain a clear sidewalk in front of "his" property. The unshoveled snow has become treacherous ice. Has the city stepped in to fine Hyman and force him to comply with local ordinance and remove the hazard? I just submitted a service request with city hall- will see how that goes.

Posted on: 2011/1/17 15:41

Re: Developer prohibits volunteers from cleaning up contested Sixth Street Embankment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
me thinks most people here know the situation well and just are rambling/trolling on, but in the event someone actually stumbles on this thread to learn about it -

while a redevelopment plan has not been created or approved, the site excepting the most eastern portion is zoned R-1, one and two family residences.

the owner/invester/speculator was aware of the historic landmarking and the community efforts and initiatives to preserve, acquire and use as open space when he/she acquired it.

while as posted somewhere above or on nj.com, the redevelopment authority passed on acquisition, the administration had not. I, as well as NJ Transit was stunned when through a staff member, the mayor as early as 2005 stated his plans to save and reuse the Embankment for Light Rail during the JC Regional Waterfront Access and Downtown Circulation Study. "Brewster" attended some of these meetings.

I found the build scenarios fascinating, see - http://jerseycitynj.gov/hedc.aspx?id=2310

if your read

Posted on: 2010/10/27 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Oh great. Get the PETA people after us. That's all we need.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
How about making the Embankment a zoo the nearest would be Turtleback Zoo, and Van Saun Park in West Orange and Paramus New Jersey. There is nothing else of it's kind in the area. Jersey City could become the new animal kingdom of the Metropolitan area.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
My question is whether any action has been taken to rezone the area for low rise housing in the event the neighbors lose the battle to secure the property to ultimately make it a green space.

I might get slammed for this, but my impression since the beginning of the campaign over a decade ago has been that they didn't want to try and get it rezoned since doing so simultaneously would weaken their argument to get it historic listed and made a park. They decided it was all or nothing.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
People who live in the area are concerned the developer Hyman will build a hulking structure overwhelming and over burdening the neighborhood with density. There is also a strong position that we are already dense and can use more open green space to alleviate the existing density.

My question is whether any action has been taken to rezone the area for low rise housing in the event the neighbors lose the battle to secure the property to ultimately make it a green space.

Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
I really don't get it. The guy bought the property, owns it. He can do what he wants with it. What's the issue? They are big ugly stones that are quite honestly an eye sore.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 23:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
I really don't get it. The guy bought the property, owns it. He can do what he wants with it. What's the issue? They are big ugly stones that are quite honestly an eye sore.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Although thwarted by the evil developer Hyman, the Embankment Liberation Front kept their spirits high via an impromptu drum circle.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
One thing that needs clearing up here is whether the space between the curb and the wall on the south side of 6th street is officially a "sidewalk" and falls under the same rules and regulations as the rest of the sidewalks in the city, or whether it is plain old private property, or something in between.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Ya know what?
My property extends to the curb in front of my house.
But that doesn't mean that I can keep anyone from walking on it.
And if I don't maintain it properly, the city can fine me or maintain it for me.
And then charge me for it.

That's exactly my point. You can't just throw a fence up closing off the sidewalk just becasue you have concerns about people walking on it. Similar thing for Hyman and the embankment along 6th st. side.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
All i'm saying is that a park at street level will be beautiful! The wall is not nice to look at and frankly, I believe a park on top of the structure will not be used and will be difficult to police.

I have to agree that a city owned park on top of the structure is just asking for trouble. A woman got mugged at knife point last week walking down Mercer at 6:30pm. What do you think is going to happen to a woman walking alone in that park?

Get the area rezoned for only 1 or 2 family brownstones and let it be developed. The city does not have the money for anything else and won't for a very long time.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
All i'm saying is that a park at street level will be beautiful! The wall is not nice to look at and frankly, I believe a park on top of the structure will not be used and will be difficult to police.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Ya know what?
And if I don't maintain it properly, the city can fine me or maintain it for me.

If Hyman is breaking the law, then the city should fine him and maintain the property as cited above.

However, the Embankment Coalition is not the city, and they have no rights, moral or otherwise, to get on his property.

And you can certainly define who may or may not enter your property. We all agree, by our social contract, that in the city, people may pass over each other's private property via the sidewalk.

What I find so interesting here is that the no government agency ever saw fit to provide a sidewalk for citizens when they owned the land.

The right to travel via sidewalk does not apply to other activities - especially not having a social gathering.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand the difference between what's theirs and what's other peoples.

Perhaps we all need to rewatch Sesame Street and go back to kindy garten.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Ya know what?

Posted on: 2010/10/26 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
^^^
Because it's not their property, and in the United States we have something called property rights.

If he doesn't want anyone cleaning it up (ostensibly for liability reasons), he shouldn't want anyone walking there, either. To be consistent, Hyman needs to install tall fences to keep people from walking along the south side of 6th street - a cleanup is not the only time someone could injure themselves and sue.

Otherwise, he's just being a troll here.

That doesn't make sense. Until the courts say otherwise it's his private property. What you suggest means that everyone who has a front yard needs to surround it with a fence if they expect to keep anonymous people from entering it to do yard work.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Or do you think Hyman should be able to barge into YOUR house and start cleaning YOUR toilet?

If I'm in the habit of letting him hang out on my couch, I can't see a good reason for me to prohibit him from cleaning my toilet.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 18:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
It's attitudes like this that are going to keep Jersey City an ugly, second class city. Jersey City has the potential to be much more than ugly, Staten Island style townhouses - all garage, so people can store their junk and still park the mini-van out front - congestion, and environmental degredation. Not to mention overtaking the City's infrastructure and ability to deliver services which will in no way be covered by whatever real estate taxes these properties bring in.

The Embankment, the Powerhouse, the cobblestone streets, the loft buildings in PADNA, these give Jersey City a sense of place. We need leadership to cultivate an appreciation for them, and turn them into something!

Well said!!

Posted on: 2010/10/26 17:55
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
I'm fine with a it being a park but tear it down and make it a park at street level. This is not the Highline in NYC. This is JC with no tourists. A park on top of this ugly structure is a huge mistake!

It's attitudes like this that are going to keep Jersey City an ugly, second class city. Jersey City has the potential to be much more than ugly, Staten Island style townhouses - all garage, so people can store their junk and still park the mini-van out front - congestion, and environmental degredation. Not to mention overtaking the City's infrastructure and ability to deliver services which will in no way be covered by whatever real estate taxes these properties bring in.

The Embankment, the Powerhouse, the cobblestone streets, the loft buildings in PADNA, these give Jersey City a sense of place. We need leadership to cultivate an appreciation for them, and turn them into something!

Posted on: 2010/10/26 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
^^^
1. I think Hyman is a douche.

2. It's still his property. He doesn't have to be consistent, and he doesn't have to accommodate his sworn hippie enemies. It's his property, to do what he wants with, within reason. And it is entirely reasonable to bar people he doesn't like and who don't like him from gettin' up on his grass.

Or do you think Hyman should be able to barge into YOUR house and start cleaning YOUR toilet?

Posted on: 2010/10/26 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
^^^
Because it's not their property, and in the United States we have something called property rights.

If he doesn't want anyone cleaning it up (ostensibly for liability reasons), he shouldn't want anyone walking there, either. To be consistent, Hyman needs to install tall fences to keep people from walking along the south side of 6th street - a cleanup is not the only time someone could injure themselves and sue.

Otherwise, he's just being a troll here.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
For those of you who expressed lack of familiarity with the ongoing Embankment situation, here's a lengthier thread, which this one is beginning to be similar to:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=254320#forumpost254320

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
^^^

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I live a block away and I like the embankment. I think it adds character and a sense of history to the neighborhood.

Not on the 6th street side, but they do a decent job shoveling the walk after it snows on the cross streets (Jersey, Monmouth, etc.)

I don't see why if the volunteers sign something that says they won't sue if they trip on a rock and break and ankle there's any harm.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I was in favor of saving the embankment until I read all the self-righteous crap in this thread and saw the picture of the doofy litter crew up above.

The only worry I have is that douche Hyman is going to build some ugly, Bayonne-style buildings. He should be forced to build stuff like the neat, contemporary row-houses in Liberty Harbor.

Tear down that wall, Mr. Healy!

And the parking deck at Newport while you're at it!

And most of C Columbus and Newark Avenues!

And Greenville, and the Heights, and Marion!

And Borinquen Gardens!

Thanks! That will be all!

Maybe they can move the stones from the embankment and just sort of drop them from helicopters all over the city, like our very own Easter Island Stonehenge.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
In a comment on a blog post announcing the cleanup, Hyman also turned ironic, taking a jab at those trying to preserve the Embankment's stone walls, citing their aesthetic value. The walls have been listed on the state register of historic sites.

"I think that the walls are ugly and are blight on the neighborhood but I think that the weeds are beautiful. ... please do not let anyone remove the weeds from the Embankment properties because they have AESTHETIC VALUE to me," he wrote.

After reading this, I feel that Hyman cannot be trusted. He obviously doesn't care at all about the well-being of downtown Jersey City and just wants to line his pockets. There should be no compromise with this guy.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any precedent of a court ordering an owner to sell property to a local government agency based upon some public policy reason other than eminent domain cases?

Please don't misinterpret why I'm asking. But it seems like a hard battle to win here.

Separately, while the battle to acquire the Embankment site has gone on, have there been any efforts to zone the area for low rise housing? This could have encouraged the existing owner to reconsider it's position. Alternatively, if the battle to acquire the land was lost at least the folks in the area are protected from the likely possibility of excessive development.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
I think it'd be perfect if the city could regain ownership of it and then just do nothing with it. Just let it be what it is, a unique historical element of the neighborhood. With Hamilton Park reopening, and with Benson and Jones parks nearby, the area is not in dire need of another park. Not to mention that it'd be hard to stomach the costs that would go into building any sort of park on the site (street level or elevated) at this time.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 15:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
I like the embankment as it is, no need to tear it down.

As for Hymann, I've been reading about other 'developments' he's done for Jersey City and I will not shed a tear if he loses the fight over the embankment.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
I'm fine with a it being a park but tear it down and make it a park at street level. This is not the Highline in NYC. This is JC with no tourists. A park on top of this ugly structure is a huge mistake!

Posted on: 2010/10/26 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well said DanL
I'm with you on this issue!
MAKE OUR PARKS

Posted on: 2010/10/26 12:42