Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Your favorite Hi-Rise in downtown JC
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
If you're looking for a highrise in which nobody has ever seen a cockroach in it, I think you should probably reevaluate your standards. The more important question is, is there a history of infestation, how do the landlords and/or codo assoc deal with it, etc. There's probably not a building in downtown, new or old, that doesn't have cockroaches on occasion. That's par for the course in high density living and is no reflection on the cleanliness of any one person since they spread so easily. You could keep your home spotless but if someone down the hall brings them in, bam!

I've lived in several high rises in JC and never seen a roach in any one of them. Never saw roaches when I lived in an apartment in a row house for a number of years either. I've seen mice a few times over the years but never had any issues with bugs.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I had a pretty good experience at Liberty Towers and the views can be spectacular. But be careful--they offered me a reasonable rent when I moved in, but then asked for a 15% increase at renewal time. They also play games with you when you leave. The lease notice requirements pretty much ensure you will stay at least month after your lease expires. They are supposed to charge "market rate" for this "month-to-month" period, but they claimed the market rate was astronomical--far above what they were asking for empty apartments.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 20:46
I live by the river.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pranilrao wrote:
Avoid the metropolis towers!

It is the most affordable high rise in downtown Jersey City. Steps from the path...

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PS If anyone has ever seen a cockroach in one of these buildings, please tell me because that's our deal-breaker

There is a good bet that nearly every big building in the world has cockroaches living somewhere in them.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
If you're looking for a highrise in which nobody has ever seen a cockroach in it, I think you should probably reevaluate your standards. The more important question is, is there a history of infestation, how do the landlords and/or codo assoc deal with it, etc. There's probably not a building in downtown, new or old, that doesn't have cockroaches on occasion. That's par for the course in high density living and is no reflection on the cleanliness of any one person since they spread so easily. You could keep your home spotless but if someone down the hall brings them in, bam!

That's bs. I lived in Portside for years and never saw a roach. I bought recently in a downtown highrise and, again, have never seen one.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/21 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a dog-walker/pet-sitter in the downtown area, so I go in and out of almost all the hi-rises on a regular basis & I've stayed overnight in a few while pet-sitting. Keep in mind, I don't know anything about the rent in these buildings, I'm just giving my opinion based on overall cleanliness, quality of construction, and maintenance staff.

Hamilton Square: Not really a hi-rise, but a beautiful, well-maintained, well-constructed, nicely designed building. Very clean, from what I can tell. I've stayed there several times and haven't seen any bugs.

Grove Point: The maintenance staff here works seemingly non-stop, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The units are nice enough, nothing special. I've never seen any bugs, but I do know that most of the penthouse units leaked like crazy during the heavy storms. And it's incredibly noisy/borderline scary when the wind is blowing in the higher units, like the windows might blow in at any moment.

50 Columbus: Similar to Grove Point, slightly higher quality construction and more chic design. Not sure about bugs.

Portofino: This one's a dump. Very low ceilings, way out-dated design, kind of smelly..

The A Building: Only been in there a couple times, but it's very nice. The one-bedrooms are small though.

Liberty Harbor: The Zenith Building is a total dump. Very low- quality construction and mediocre, corner-cutting maintenance staff. The Regent & the Sutton seem to be higher-quality construction & have nicer upgrades than the Zenith but the same staff.

All the above-mentioned buildings are pet-friendly! Hope that helped a little.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking to rent. Our budget is in the $2000/mo. range.

I've lived in hi-rises before in NYC. Some had bugs, some didn't. I've seen the silver-yellowy ones in my current place, that's fine. It's the big shiny black ones that I can't handle. I guess I should have asked if anyone knows of any buildings that have been infestation-free since they have been built. I don't expect the older buildings to be bug-free.

That being said, does anyone have any positive experiences with hi-rises in downtown JC?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 12:54
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I can't really tell if you're looking to buy or rent. Where you should go depends on your budget either way.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 23:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/10 21:23
Group:
Registered Users
Avoid the metropolis towers!

Posted on: 2010/10/21 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

+1, I was gonna post something similar but you pretty much covered all the bases.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainQuality wrote:
PS If anyone has ever seen a cockroach in one of these buildings, please tell me because that's our deal-breaker

How do you feel about bedbugs?

Posted on: 2010/10/21 15:20

Your favorite Hi-Rise in downtown JC
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
My girlfriend and I are looking to move into a hi-rise somewhere downtown. All we need is a one bedroom that is cat, and preferably dog, friendly. Which are some good ones and which are ones to avoid?

Posted on: 2010/10/21 14:50
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017