Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Kumon Math and Reading Center in Journal Square
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone recommend good websites where I can download worksheets for my son, for home exercise?

TIA.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 16:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/24 13:16
Group:
Registered Users
Ugh, just the mention of this place brings back nightmares...

I was forced to attend for a few years when I started high school. It was like some weird mathematic concentration camp.

I'm not sure how things are run these days, but when I was attending (20yrs ago), we met once a week to do work on site and then was given homework for the rest of the week (daily packets of math equations).

Something you need to consider for your kid is that the homework is very time consuming (well, it was for me anyway). If your kid already has a lot of school work and after school activities, Kumon can be a bit much. I know it stressed me out a great deal.

I have to admit that it did greatly improve my math grades, but it also made me hate it.

just my $.02

Posted on: 2010/9/26 13:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/27 10:33
Group:
Registered Users
My child has been using Kumon for a while. We liked it at the beginning. It helped my child in math calculation skills. But over time, the benefit is no longer that visible and we feel more pressure on its monthly bills. Then we accepted the advice from our neighbor, and started to do the worksheets on Beestar. To my surprise, she loves the 10 quick questions very much and it really helps kids thinking. Pretty great. Plus, I also don?t have to drive her to kumon, saving much time.
Lisa

Posted on: 2010/9/26 8:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Sent you a PM.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 15:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/14 12:54
Group:
Registered Users
Very helpful - thank you both!

K-Lo: This is just for extra practice, but I'd like the math tutor's contact info. It would be great to have a good recommendation on file. Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/6/22 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a specific problem or deficiency you need to address or is this just "practice." I can recommend an excellent math tutor if your child needs targeted help.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I tried Kumon in Journal Square for my daughter as an addition to homeschooling. At the time, she was above her grade in math and reading. They tested her and found her level and provided her with on-site and additional work for home.

She quickly became bored because the Kumon method, as I viewed it, was based upon mastering a level of skills by constant repetition.

Your child gets a ream of worksheets and does tasks over and over again until they master that level and move on. The "proctors" in the room are teenagers - a fact that I didn't like as I believed I would be paying for adult, trained supervision. If your child is in need of assistance, a teen will be helping them, based upon my experience at the center.

In the end, I found the place dull, a bit depressing, and not at all challenging for a bright child. Some of the children there looked lost and struggling. The teens that were there were often engaged in their own little conversations which I felt were distracting to the children that were trying to learn.

Depending upon your child's age, you can do the exact same work with online worksheets or even skills workbooks that you can buy at Staples or online. For math work, I've heard a lot of wonderful things about the Saxon method. I'm a Montessori fan for learning for ages 3 to 6 and you can do a lot of the skills at home. Try Ebay for materials at a great price.

At the end of a month, we left Kumon. My daughter quipped that she knew why their logo character wasn't smiling. I have to agree that she was right.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:07

Kumon Math and Reading Center in Journal Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/14 12:54
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone had their child in the Journal Square Kumon Center? I'm considering it and wanted to know if other parents have had good experiences.

Any info is appreciated!

Posted on: 2010/6/20 16:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017