Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Today's "Children of Faith" Festival at City Hall - Write to the Mayor if Disturbed
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
We've got much more on the Children of Faith Parade in a story published today.

Parade organizers are crying foul over city funding cuts, but officials say there were questions about the separation of church and state, as well as questions about the organization's accounting practices.

Check out the story here.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 17:20

Re: Today's "Children of Faith" Festival at City Hall - Write to the Mayor if Disturbed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I was more annoyed that the whole thing was done in Spanish so I couldn't understand one intolerant word out of the guys mouth.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 20:44
utterly deplorable

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
hey, let's petition City Hall to hold on their front steps an "abortion-on-demand, gay-marriage-now, atheism-is-the-only-way-to-go" rally.

not a bad idea

Posted on: 2009/9/21 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure what City Hall's policy is specifically, but in terms of the First Amendment, if a government-run institution (like a school), allows its space to be used by the community for some events, it must allow the space to be used for all events (barring some specific exception). Once the government has demonstrated its willingness to open its space to the public for this type of organized event, it may not discriminate on the basis of viewpoint when deciding which groups it will allow to use the space. For instance, if City Hall allows a pro-gay group to use the space to hold meetings, it must also allow this Children of Faith group the space on the same terms.

Now, if City Hall doesn't want to allow *any* group to use their space, that's fine too. But once it opens its doors, it opens its doors to all.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 19:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightGirl wrote:
This is not the type of community I want to live in, and I intend to write to the Mayor and tell him so. I encourage any like-minded individuals to also write and express their views.

Funny how the people who clamor the most about how much they love diversity are so quick to switch from a welcoming embrace to a middle finger once someone who's not "like-minded" voices an opinion.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
disturbing? Most disturbing was that they were handing out WWE (wrestling) sheet and pillow case sets like they were MRE's in a war zone. Wtf?

So the anti-gay marriage people were handing out bed sheets covered with pictures of greased up half naked men to children? Delicious irony.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
hey, let's petition City Hall to hold on their front steps an "abortion-on-demand, gay-marriage-now, atheism-is-the-only-way-to-go" rally.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 4:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
disturbing? Most disturbing was that they were handing out WWE (wrestling) sheet and pillow case sets like they were MRE's in a war zone. Wtf?

Posted on: 2009/9/20 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Well Brightgirl didn't say anywhere that this group has no right to speak, nor that we should tell the mayor not to let them speak. I think what she was saying was that all who believe in the right of two consenting adults to marry should also voice their opinion to show the mayor that the sentiments of this group are not the sentiments held (hopefully) by the majority of the residents in JC.

So what exactly is she writing to the mayor about then? As I said previously, she (and whoever else) had every right to hold up gay marriage rights signs as well. Holding a sign about marriage has nothing to do with religion directly. Believe me, I'm as liberal as they come, but I simply don't see the logic behind this argument. Were they holding religious services there? Satanic sacrafices? I don't get it.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
uuuuhhh... City Hall promoting religion and City Hall allowing equal access to any public group the use of its facilities are two different things.

Now if it was found out that City Hall was allowing use of the grounds to this particular group and denying the use of public space to a gay rights advocacy group as an example, THEN you would have a problem.

Groups are allowed to use City Hall period. Denying them this right to use public space based on religious faith or the message would be in violation of freedom of speech. The separation of church and state applies to the government supporting or promoting one religion over another, not banning all religious groups from the right to utilize public space as any other group.

So you are mixing apples and oranges here. I know the ACLU lawyer that worked on the constant civil liberties issues occurring at Jersey City's City hall. He no longer lives in JC, but his name was actually JC.... this is why you now see the hodge podge display of winter religious symbols on the front lawn of City Hall each year rather than just a manger scene.

The issue here is allowing all groups to use public space. If you think that this message is too powerful then you should make sure you offer a voice stronger than theirs. However, this is kind of a moot point since the current administration is very pro-gay rights.

The use of City Hall property is not in direct violation of the "establishment" clause of the first amendment. Putting up religious doctrines up in City Hall would be. Just check out the case of the Boy Scouts of America using public school buildings to meet. They are a Christian organization without a doubt using public space. This should give you a better idea of what the issues are since the Boy Scouts of America as an organization have proclaimed themselves as anti-gay.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 15:21
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Allowing a religious based organization the right to use City Hall property is a direct violation of the "establishment" clause of the first amendment.
It was tried incessantly with one of the last buffoons to run the city, Bret Schundler, who festooned the place over and over with religious symbols and statues until court after court ordered them removed, only to be replaced with something even more vulgar. The only way to stop it was to show Bret Schundler the door.
Of course this was all geared to get the smarm vote from the brainwashed Xians of the City.

I had hoped Healy was more circumspect.

PUBLIC City Hall grounds are NOT the place for protestations of one's Faith...that belongs in PRIVATE buildings called churches where they can torture only themselves with their superstitions..

Posted on: 2009/9/20 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Well Brightgirl didn't say anywhere that this group has no right to speak, nor that we should tell the mayor not to let them speak. I think what she was saying was that all who believe in the right of two consenting adults to marry should also voice their opinion to show the mayor that the sentiments of this group are not the sentiments held (hopefully) by the majority of the residents in JC.

Yes, I find this groups message (not their right to express it) deeply disturbing as well. It has always boggled my mind that two people who are in love might not be able to marry....

Mildred Loving's death on 5/2/08 brought a little sadness to me. Her death was acknowledged with little fanfare at the next City Council meeting. However, her statement on the marriage of two loving individuals is below.

http://www.positiveliberty.com/2007/0 ... ed-lovings-statement.html

Posted on: 2009/9/20 2:09
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
just goes to show even the brightest girl can have a not-so-bright point of view.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Posted on: 2009/9/20 0:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
I'm with OP. Next thing you know they're going to be allowing gay rights rallies in this country.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Am I free to put them in an asylum?

Posted on: 2009/9/19 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Welcome to America. Where all people can have their voices heard, or attain the appropriate permits, etc and have a festival, parade or whatever may be. While I also don't agree at all with what this whole "festival" is/was about, it's what this country is about. Freedom. Next time, you have every right to protest them with your own signs. That's the beauty.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 23:29

Today's "Children of Faith" Festival at City Hall - Write to the Mayor if Disturbed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
I was deeply disturbed to see the officially sanctioned gathering in front of city hall today with people holding signs that say "Marriage = 1 man + 1 woman".

I looked up the event on the city hall site and see it's listed as "Children of Faith Festival and Parade". What is this group?!?

This is not the type of community I want to live in, and I intend to write to the Mayor and tell him so. I encourage any like-minded individuals to also write and express their views.

The public events put on at City Hall and Grove Street plaza are usually so positive and community building. It was a shame to see that there's also heart in the community for an event like the one today.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 22:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017