Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Is it good decision to rent apt at "Gloria Robinson Court" located at 348 Duncan Avenue Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
From driving by a few times it does seem vastly better - but with the huge money plowed into this it really should!

Nice houses!

Quote:

Mere111 wrote:
My parents owns their home on the dead end side of Mallory Ave which is 4 blocks from the former Duncan Project site which is now Gloria Robinson Apts.

The area is a much better, quieter neighborhood now that the Project development is gone. It is not as terrible as people on here are making it out to be. They are no longer people hanging in front of liquor stores (which are all closed now) and the crime rate is way down! Once those buildings were crumbled to the ground the neighborhood because a much better place. Linclon park is right across the street so it's great for families. While the Gloria Robinson apt do have a few units that are lower income, the screening process is very strict! They do not tolerate loud noise, music, loitering and Children vandalizing property. This makes for a safer and quiet environment for everyone. The neighbor is changing in a good way and home owners are very happy about that. The neighborhood watch from my parents block looks out for one another and the area.

Word to the wise people, if you have never lived in a place, how can u have an opinion of it? I lived there for 10 years before I got married and their is a huge difference between Now and Then!!

Posted on: 2011/7/6 20:38

Re: Is it good decision to rent apt at "Gloria Robinson Court" located at 348 Duncan Avenue Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/12 5:11
Group:
Registered Users
My parents owns their home on the dead end side of Mallory Ave which is 4 blocks from the former Duncan Project site which is now Gloria Robinson Apts.
The area is a much better, quieter neighborhood now that the Project development is gone. It is not as terrible as people on here are making it out to be. They are no longer people hanging in front of liquor stores (which are all closed now) and the crime rate is way down! Once those buildings were crumbled to the ground the neighborhood because a much better place. Linclon park is right across the street so it's great for families. While the Gloria Robinson apt do have a few units that are lower income, the screening process is very strict! They do not tolerate loud noise, music, loitering and Children vandalizing property. This makes for a safer and quiet environment for everyone. The neighbor is changing in a good way and home owners are very happy about that. The neighborhood watch from my parents block looks out for one another and the area.

Word to the wise people, if you have never lived in a place, how can u have an opinion of it? I lived there for 10 years before I got married and their is a huge difference between Now and Then!!

Posted on: 2011/7/6 20:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/20 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
I thought they were all section 8 apartments in here. If you are thinking of residing in one of the few market-rate rentals, you should really think twice. They may be lovely apartments being brand-new but the neighborhood is rough....very rough. Bayonne is much nicer than that area and Broadway is very convenient with stores and public transportation. There all also many other sections of Jersey City to consider other than that part of Duncan Avenue (that have less expensive rents than downtown)

Posted on: 2010/9/20 18:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 18:19
Group:
Registered Users
You wanted opinions so here is mine....stay away from that area - I am a lifelong Jersey City resident (living in the Heights/Western Slope area) and wouldn't dream of stepping foot anywhere near the area your are referring to. The area of Bayonne that you mentioned is nice...really nice.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/9/20 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sweety84 wrote:
would appreciate if others too can let us know their view point on this...........I agree with jc73 that the crime rate is much higher in this area 07304 ....compared to NJ and US averages....

I wouldn't even drive down this street at night let alone live there. You could catch a stray (bullet) not even being an intended target.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
As stated it is on the site of the all time worst housing project in the city. Below is a piece I found in the local paper about the new rentals. I am pretty sure it is all low income rentals, except for a few market rate ones.

The Westside light rail is no where near that area. Maybe you have the wrong area there is a project directly across the street from the Westside light rail station. But that is on the other side of the city. Over by the New Jersey College. That area is up and coming. I think they are condo?s but I bet you can rent also. They are called ?City Homes at Westside Station?.

There is also a new rental project in Bayonne across the street from a light rail station called ?City View? http://www.alexancityview.com/

Good Luck

66 NEW HOMES DEBUT

Wednesday, February 04, 2009
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Former residents and staff of the A. Harry Moore public housing complex reunited yesterday for the grand opening of 66 new homes built at the site of the notorious public housing complex.

The Gloria Robinson Court Apartments, a low-rise development on Duncan Avenue near Routes 1 & 9, are replacing the 664-unit public housing development that consisted of seven, 12-story towers.

Among the guests attending the event was 80-year-old Gloria Robinson, for whom the development is named. The mother of 11, a former Jersey City Housing Authority commissioner and Duncan Avenue resident for 40 years, worked tirelessly to improve the quality of life for her fellow residents.

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and Bishop Robert Blount of Jersey City's Emmanuel Pentecostal Church, who managed the buildings from 1981 until 2004, also attended.
Robinson led a movement to remove a previous housing administration in the 1970s when residents endured non-working elevators, broken heating units and trash in the hallways.

Robinson said she was "ecstatic" to have the development named after her, but also loved the community that was there before the residents were relocated for construction.
"It broke my heart when I saw the old buildings being torn down," Robinson said. "I hope as many of the people who were relocated come back to these beautiful homes as possible."

Of the 66 apartments, 58 are considered affordable and eight are market-rate rentals, officials said. The development includes six one-bedroom units, 28 two-bedroom units, 26 three-bedroom units and four six-bedroom units.

Tenants of the A. Harry Moore complex who were relocated are given priority on the waiting list.

The Gloria Robinson Court Homes is part of the three-phase HOPE VI Revitalization program, which when complete will replace 664 public housing units.

The second phase is in full swing and will deliver 78 more units, said JCHA Executive Director Maria Maio. Three towers still have to be demolished, Maio said, and the next round of HOPE VI federal funds will allow the third and final phase to get under way. The total number of new units planned for the development is 326....

Posted on: 2010/9/17 13:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 22:10
From West Side
Group:
Registered Users
I live near the intersection of Harrison & Kennedy, and the previous posts are probably right about that area. If you can afford an apartment between Westside and Bergen to the West/East and Belmont and Harrison to the North/South you'd be in a better neighborhood. The neighborhoods in this area change rapidly form block to block, but we've never had any safety issue and we've been there for over 3 years.

Rule of thumb for me would be to stay north of Communipaw and between Bergen and Westside. If you're in this area, you're going to want to take the bus or walk to the PATH - the light rail is always in a bad area....

Posted on: 2010/9/17 4:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live in that part of Bayonne and enjoyed it a lot. It's relatively quiet for an urban area, much much safer than the area of jersey city you mentioned (police headquarters and town hall are right around the corner). Plus Broadway in Bayonne is a really decent strip, most anything you would need is within a short walk of there, including light rail stops.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 4:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
would appreciate if others too can let us know their view point on this...........I agree with jc73 that the crime rate is much higher in this area 07304 ....compared to NJ and US averages....

Posted on: 2010/9/17 2:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yes..but only twice .. surroundings seemed ok during the daytime..actually we are new in NJ ..so dont have much idea abt the area .
What abt the bayonne.we found apts near near 25th street and broadway area??

Posted on: 2010/9/17 1:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
The old name to that was the Duncan Projects. I believe one building is still standing. The neighborhood is still the same. Check the crime stats,

Have you been down there yet?

Posted on: 2010/9/17 1:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your reply.....why do you say that? any instance that you would like to let me know....

Posted on: 2010/9/17 1:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
That is a HIGH CRIME area. I wouldn't even drive through the nieghborhood,let alone move into it

Posted on: 2010/9/17 0:56

Is it good decision to rent apt at "Gloria Robinson Court" located at 348 Duncan Avenue Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone

We are thinking to rent an apt at Gloria Robinson Court and wanted to know abt the neighborhood.How safe it is to live there. Its located opposite to lincoln park and just nxt to US9 Truck highway.

Also for commutation we r planning to use Westside ave light rail station.Is it safe to commute at late night(10pm)??

We are looking forward for replies as soon as possible.
We would really appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 0:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017