Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CBS's Guide to loving Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Not mentioning the Loews is a big miss. That's where I bring friends from NYC because they have nothing like it. What they do mention is great for folks who live in or are considering moving to JC but it already exists, often in a better form, in NYC. That's just the reality of getting NYC residents to cross the river for a night out rather than pointing out how there are fun things to do in JC.

Quote:

Amy wrote:
I can't see why they'd include a place like White Star in an article aimed at getting New Yorkers to see what's special about JC. Who would make the trek to get bar food? I would have replaced it with Made With Love's communal dinners, the Loews Theater, or something else that's a little more distinctive.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, at least jc is getting some publicity

Posted on: 2010/9/16 6:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Here are some selected snippets from the article:

Quote:
....service is welcoming and efficient, unlike the majority of other upscale restaurants in the neighborhood.

Service is slower than is necessary.

...the brunch menu lacks substance and originality.

Apparently all is not perfect in this utopia of the young and single, however, as public disputes over beer, women or both are not uncommon.

The food is generally sub par...

Ok, now after reading this, why would I want to go to Jersey City?

Posted on: 2010/9/16 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I think you might have missed my point. I didn't intend to pick on White Star in particular and have nothing against their food or atmosphere. I've been there several times, and I've been to Madame Claude's, and I love it. The bronze crepe is yummy! The point I'm trying to make is that if you're going to go to a new city, you'll probably seek out the type of thing you can't find in other places. You can find bar food in many places, so while White Star and similar places are GREAT for people who live here and for anyone else who wants to go, people who are coming from elsewhere (the intended audience of that article) might be more interested in knowing about something they can't find in NYC. It has nothing to do with being a snob.

Posted on: 2010/9/16 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
I visit Madame Claude's at least once or twice a month. They are very accomodating and their brunch is terrific. Sitting outside enjoy some fresh air sipping on a cappucino is wonderful ! Alyse, the owner is a warm and very pleasant person and so is her husband. I walk 9 blocks for her French Cuisine and so do my children.
We love it !

Posted on: 2010/9/16 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
Jeeze, you can't be a total snob? Have you ever "treked" to White Star...? They have a great brunch menu and a great local low keyed crowd. I "TREK" as you say there very often and I live downtown. I love it as a sports bar and for their food. Of course you probably go to the Lighthorse Tavern so you can spend $10. a glass of some cheap red wine. I despise the place. Pompous people who want to be seen there so they can say they've been there.
No atmosphere unless you like looking at traffic. White Star and Madame Claude's (another place you have to TREK to) have great brunches and the service is great and so are the owners.....maybe you should try it instead of going to the Lowe's theatre......you know - a more distinctive place !

Posted on: 2010/9/16 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I can't see why they'd include a place like White Star in an article aimed at getting New Yorkers to see what's special about JC. Who would make the trek to get bar food? I would have replaced it with Made With Love's communal dinners, the Loews Theater, or something else that's a little more distinctive.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The article could definitely use some editing:

The Hamilton Park description just trails off before they could finish including "Weehawken" (I guess they had to look it up and then forgot); the title for Marco & Pepe is incorrectly listed as "Mario & Pepe" (though they got the URL right); and the entry for La Rustique is just a duplicate of the description from Basic.

I would also disagree with a number of other claims, such as describing the brunch at Madame Claude's as "lacking originality"--though I suppose that's rather subjective. And once again someone implies that Zeppelin Hall is the site of regular fistfights, though in the dozens of times I've been there I have yet to see anything close to a scuffle. Can't say the same for other neighborhood bars such as Barrow St and Merchant. (I know ZH won't get much love from JC List folks though, so whatever.)

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

Image from www.litm.com
LITM

140 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 536-5557
www.litm.com

A trendy, high-priced but chic hangout, LITM (short for ?Love Is The Message? ? don?t ask us) offers bar food ranging from a house beet salad to sliders to fried artichokes. While the menu goes beyond the traditional, the food is over salted and lacking in complexity. LITM does showcase some good local art, and is conveniently located two blocks from the Grove Street Path train. $3 Happy Hour mini martinis.

Wow this really sounds like a place i'd like to visit

Posted on: 2010/9/15 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
So who's complaining now ? There seems to be lots to do just in the Downtown section spread out far and wide. Makes me want to move to J.C. if I weren't already here.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Why, why, why can't a piece be written about ANYTHING in NJ without mentioning really silly stereotypes. It would also be really refreshing for an article to mention that the "tanning oils, muscles, and beers" are actually imported from NY.

Are NYers just not aware that it's actually NYers at the Jersey Shore creating these stereotypes, instead of real people from NJ? Or do they know, and still like to throw it in NJ's face?

C'mon Tommy - you get worked up too easily. That was a largely positive piece. NY media needs to present NJ that way to maintain the NY superiority complex. Besides, the NYers who are the loudest critics of NJ typically were born in other parts of the country and moved here after college. By participating in the (largely outdated) NJ stereotyping, it makes them feel like they belong. And since a new crop of them shows up every year, don't expect it to end any time soon.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Why, why, why can't a piece be written about ANYTHING in NJ without mentioning really silly stereotypes. It would also be really refreshing for an article to mention that the "tanning oils, muscles, and beers" are actually imported from NY.

Are NYers just not aware that it's actually NYers at the Jersey Shore creating these stereotypes, instead of real people from NJ? Or do they know, and still like to throw it in NJ's face?

Posted on: 2010/9/14 18:08

CBS's Guide to loving Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if this was posted already -

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/guide/a-guide-to-loving-jersey-city-2/

A Guide to Loving Jersey City

From Claire Schneider

Ever wondered what?s on the OTHER side of the Hudson River? Don?t let visions of an episode of ?Jersey Shore? scare you. There really is more to this state than tanning oil, muscles and beer, especially when it comes to downtown Jersey City. It won?t take you as long as you might think to get there: Downtown Jersey City?s plethora of restaurants are just a 10 minute ride from Lower

Image from www.lsc.org
Liberty Science Center

222 Jersey City Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07305
(201) 200-1000
www.lsc.org

The Liberty Science Center is an expansive science museum with the largest IMAX dome theater in the United States. It also offers a cafe with surprisingly tasty food. Make a day of it by exploring the varied and extensive exhibits ? including the largest exhibition of skyscrapers in the world with artifacts from the World Trade Center, an I-Beam walk two stories above the exhibition floor and an earthquake shake room ? before beating the summer heat in the air-conditioned theater?s comfy seats before a documentary shot entirely in 3D. Adult ticket $15.75; children?s $11.50. The IMAX theater is $9 for adults and $7 for children.

The restored railway station at the north end of Liberty State Park housing festivals, concerts and other cultural happenings.
Liberty State Park

Morris Pesin Drive
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 915-3403
www.libertystatepark.org

Teeming with history and offering spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline, Liberty State Park is located only 2,000 feet from the Statue of Liberty and offers boat tours to see Lady Liberty herself. Most of the 1,122 acre park is designated as open space with 300 acres developed for public recreation. Ornithology enthusiasts should pack their binoculars as numerous species of birds live here. Bike enthusiasts will love the labyrinth bike paths. At the north end of the park is the restored railway station which houses festivals, concerts and other cultural happenings. Immigrants once processed at Ellis Island purchased tickets at this railroad station, boarding trains en route to their new lives.

Image from www.jerseycitymuseum.org
Jersey City Museum of Art

350 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 413-0303
www.jerseycitymuseum.org

The Jersey City Art Museum exhibits American art dating from the colonial period through the present, placing emphasis on supporting the work of contemporary artists. Works include painting, sculpture, decorative arts, photography, furniture, metals, textiles, maps, industrial objects and ephemera. A walk through this storied building indicates its genesis as part of the Jersey City Free Public Library. The museum offers workshops for adults including life drawing, painting technique and photo art classes.
Hamilton Park

Bordered by 8th and 9th Streets on the north and south, and by Coles and Erie on the east and west

A quiet park surrounded by 19th century brownstone homes, Hamilton Park has recently undergone a renovation that is making it the hub of downtown Jersey City. The 4.5 acre park has two brand-new tennis courts, basketball courts, a modern playground, a dog-run and frequent farmers? markets. The park was named after Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury under George Washington. Hamilton was shot and killed in a duel with political rival Aaron Burr in nearby

Back to Top ▲
Restaurants

Image from www.lighthorsetavern.com
Light Horse Tavern

199 Washington Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302-4527
(201) 946-2028
www.lighthorsetavern.com

The restaurant?s title hearkens back to American Gen. Henry ?Light Horse Harry? Lee, who led his men on raids against the British in the Revolutionary War, triumphing in a surprise attack on 400 British soldiers near the location of today?s Light Horse Tavern. The restaurant is more than deserving of the storied title ?atmosphere and food are grade A and service is welcoming and efficient, unlike the majority of other upscale restaurants in the neighborhood. Simple wooden tables nestled next to large bay windows give the restaurant an air of comfort and class. Menu items such as butter poached lobster gnocchi and BBQ skirt steak are both familiar and delicious. Average entry plate is $25.

Image from www.marcoandpepe.com
Mario and Pepe

289 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 860-9688
www.marcoandpepe.com

This chic yet low-key ?New American? restaurant in downtown Jersey City offers a foodie-friendly menu with a well-edited wine list. Try a meat and cheese platter loaded with Serrano ham, chorizo and gourmet cheese or a specialty dish such as the grilled lobster scallop burger. Service is slower than is necessary, but the atmosphere is fun and the food is good, when it comes. Entrees range from $14-$25.

Image from www.madameclaudecafe.com
Madame Claude Caf?

364 4th Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 876-8800
www.madameclaudecafe.com

Authentic French restaurant with quaint, homey atmosphere, great service and good food. Some things are done better than others here. For example, the roast duck with port wine reduction sauce is outstanding for dinner, as is the flourless chocolate cake for dessert ? but the brunch menu lacks substance and originality. On the brunch/lunch side, about the only items to recommend are the crepes and the spicy lamb sandwich. The outdoor tables, excellent cappuccinos, friendly service and French memorabilia adorning the walls make it worth a visit.

Image from www.skinnersloft.com
Skinner?s Loft

146 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 915-0600
www.skinnersloft.com

A casual place to get a bite to eat with three well-laid out floors, each with its own eclectic architectural elements harkening back to its roots as a historic brownstone home. The food could be described as upscale comfort food: Menu items include fresh berry and mixed green salad, organic French cut chicken breast, barbequed baby back ribs and flat iron steak with garlic-chive fries. Perhaps the most clever facet of this cozy establishment is the upstairs outdoor roof patio, glorious on a warm summer night with a pitcher of beer and a group of friends.
Caf? Basic

231 8th st
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 656-5900

A quintessential Hamilton Park favorite, Basic offers great sandwiches (the chicken sundried tomato pesto is our favorite), coffee and pastries. Large, fresh cookies can be purchased for under a dollar, and they really hit the spot on a cold, rainy day in the neighborhood. The owners have done a good job with the d?cor, mixing in details from the historic brownstone the storefront derives from with more modern touches.
Caf? La Rustique

611 Jersey Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 222-6886

A quintessential Hamilton Park favorite, Basic offers great sandwiches (the chicken sundried tomato pesto is our favorite), coffee and pastries. Large, fresh cookies can be purchased for under a dollar, and they really hit the spot on a cold, rainy day in the neighborhood. The owners have done a good job with the d?cor, mixing in details from the historic brownstone the storefront derives from with more modern touches.
Toricos

20 Erie Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 432-9458
www.skinnersloft.com

Toricos is a true gem of Jersey City, a mom and pop store with a friendly, down home atmosphere offering fresh, homemade ice cream at reasonable prices. In addition to the standards, Toricos offers more exotic options such as avocado, ginger, mamey (similar to an almond, cherry mix) as well as milkshakes, sundaes and ice cream pints to-go.

Back to Top ▲
Bars

Image from www.zeppelinhall.com
Zeppelin Hall Restaurant and Biergarten

88 Grand Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 721-8888
www.zeppelinhall.com

When the massive outdoor patio is open during the summer, we like to think of Zeppelin Hall as Disneyland for adults. Maybe it?s the fact that the space holds up to 500 people at a time, most of them young and attractive and all seated at picnic tables. Apparently all is not perfect in this utopia of the young and single, however, as public disputes over beer, women or both are not uncommon.
Iron Monkey

99 Greene Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 435-5756
www.ironmonkey.com

The Iron Monkey has a nice rooftop bar and an extensive beer list, but it can be difficult to get service on the rooftop during the busy summer months. The food is generally sub par for bar food, but you?ll do OK with the mac and cheese and burgers ? i.e. the basics. The Iron Monkey is just one block from the Exchange Place Path train, making it a very quick visit from Manhattan.
White Star

230 Brunswick Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 653-9234
www.whitestarbar.com

Tucked away on a quiet corner next to Jones Park, the White Star Bar serves lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. The food isn?t bad for bar food, although not all menu items are rated the same. Locals know the buffalo wings are the signature item, and the mac and cheese makes a pleasing side dish. The breakfast quesadilla tends to be a bit heavy and greasy, but it?s a lot of food for the price. There are several HD TVs, making it a good spot to catch a game.

Image from www.litm.com
LITM

140 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 536-5557
www.litm.com

A trendy, high-priced but chic hangout, LITM (short for ?Love Is The Message? ? don?t ask us) offers bar food ranging from a house beet salad to sliders to fried artichokes. While the menu goes beyond the traditional, the food is over salted and lacking in complexity. LITM does showcase some good local art, and is conveniently located two blocks from the Grove Street Path train. $3 Happy Hour mini martinis.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 17:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017