Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 27 »

Re: Embankment- Update Thread
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
KNOCK IT DOWN AND MAKE IT A STREET LEVEL PARK!!!! NO CONDOS, JUST A PARK!!! ITS NOT THE HIGH LINE, NEVER WILL BE THE HIGH LINE SO STOP COMPARING IT TO THE HIGH LINE. IT SHOULD BE A PARK AT STREET LEVEL SO WE DONT HAVE TO LOOK AT THOSE UGLY STONES AND THE RESIDENTS OF DOWNTOWN JERSEY CITY DONT HAVE TO GET MUGGED WHILE USING IT!

Posted on: 2010/9/4 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:

Wouldn't a better witness have been a civil/enviromental engineer, who could have judged the design and structural integrity of the Embankment as a 19th/ 20th century public work, and also could have told us what the environmental impact of removing a century of industrial debris would have on our community?

Marchetto has already detailed "The Jersey City Greenway Project" on his website. how is he in any way a credible witness?

Posted on: 2010/9/4 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'm chagrined to say that I live in a Marchetto designed building.

It is sad to see the path Marchetto has recently taken. he has now become the go to guy for developers looking to destroy historic buildings. The Episcopal Diocese of Newark also brought him in to provide a redesign of St. Johns where he saved "all he could save." It was absolutely pathetic, leaving nothing significant of the building.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 20:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

And that, in a nutshell, is the main problem with the state of our city at this point in time. Crime is obviously a key issue, but the city's current infrastructure is an even more important issue. The administration has allowed (and fostered) the speedy development of the waterfront and other areas of the city, but we are not keeping up with the growth, and the impact can be seen everywhere. Our roads are in very poor condition, the PATH is usually stuffed during the rush hour commuting hours, countless water mains are breaking all over the place, the police force (as a ratio of beat officers to citizens) is getting smaller and smaller... If we continue down this path, the city will collapse under its own weight. And, what a shame... a more balanced approach to growth could, and should, yield better results for everyone. Instead, we are all getting the shaft by the effects of poor planning to maintain and grow the city's infrastructure.

This is exactly it - if you remove a huge watershed like the Embankment and replace with 1500 condo units that are now hooking into the decrepit sewer lines, that water has to go somewhere. And that somewhere is probably resident basements, once again. It's easy to be in favor of this when you don't lives anywhere near an area where the ramifications would be felt.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante wisely said:
Quote:

The infrastructure cannot support more and more buildings packed with people.

And that, in a nutshell, is the main problem with the state of our city at this point in time. Crime is obviously a key issue, but the city's current infrastructure is an even more important issue. The administration has allowed (and fostered) the speedy development of the waterfront and other areas of the city, but we are not keeping up with the growth, and the impact can be seen everywhere. Our roads are in very poor condition, the PATH is usually stuffed during the rush hour commuting hours, countless water mains are breaking all over the place, the police force (as a ratio of beat officers to citizens) is getting smaller and smaller... If we continue down this path, the city will collapse under its own weight. And, what a shame... a more balanced approach to growth could, and should, yield better results for everyone. Instead, we are all getting the shaft by the effects of poor planning to maintain and grow the city's infrastructure.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
How many more people, rats and bedbugs can we stuff into downtown Jersey City? Enough with the development of high-rises!! The infrastructure cannot support more and more buildings packed with people. The PATH trains are stuffed to the gills as well. We need more greenspace. Enough with our Mayor and city council bending over for every developer with an envelope full of money!!

Bravo.
Enuf said!

Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Why doesn't the City use its eminent domain powers?

Excellent question.

The city was all so ready to take the Golden Cicada property from it's Owner to give it to St. Peter's Prep to expand their football field, but are silent about using eminent domain now to take a property for a legitimate public use.

Another example of something stinking to high heaven in City Hall besides Healy's whiskey breath.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
I'll Take My Ball and Go Home; Interesting so Hyman says I'll just knock it down for now. Kind of like Percy taking his football and going home leaving the team with nothing. Hyman says with a "if I can't have it neither can you" attitude.

Same as 111 First Street. Developer Goldman couldn't wait to knock it down and it's a vacant site 3 years later.

Marchetto is a decent architect who has done countless projects in Hoboken and several in JC including Gulls Cove and the small building at the corner of Green and Grand. He has proven he can do decent mid-rise as well as smaller buildings that fit well in a historical context.

And that's why his comments are so disturbing.

He's officially sold his soul to the devil.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
How many more people, rats and bedbugs can we stuff into downtown Jersey City? Enough with the development of high-rises!! The infrastructure cannot support more and more buildings packed with people. The PATH trains are stuffed to the gills as well. We need more greenspace. Enough with our Mayor and city council bending over for every developer with an envelope full of money!!

Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'll Take My Ball and Go Home; Interesting so Hyman says I'll just knock it down for now. Kind of like Percy taking his football and going home leaving the team with nothing. Hyman says with a "if I can't have it neither can you" attitude.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The structure, Marchetto said, is ?an abandoned utility construction ? an embarrassment and an eyesore.?

Gee whiz Mr. Marchetto, have you HEARD of the Highline? http://www.thehighline.org/ I would be very worried if I was Mr. Marchetto, about getting any legitimate opportunities after this. He may have just committed career suicide.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Marchetto says the embankment is an embarrassment and an eyesore?! Reading his comment was a miuch bigger eyesore. Yea, a place for all of the residents and visitors to bike, converse, walk and be elevated from the traffic is just so darn horrible and embarrasing. What a joke. Please, for the love of God, Judge Gallipoli can you please send Donato and Hyman packing.

Should we not be concerned Judge Gallipoli is on Hyman's payroll? Rumors are always swirling about Hyman and his past antics, why wouldn't he continue with his rumored corruption? I don't necessarily hear things from what I'd call "solid sources" but individuals who know of Hyman's reputation and how he's made his money in the past and this Judge, and what I have heard, worry me we are in a situation where they aren't motivated by legitimate means.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Marchetto says the embankment is an embarrassment and an eyesore?! Reading his comment was a miuch bigger eyesore. Yea, a place for all of the residents and visitors to bike, converse, walk and be elevated from the traffic is just so darn horrible and embarrasing. What a joke. Please, for the love of God, Judge Gallipoli can you please send Donato and Hyman packing.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 12:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/9/3 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
gt2220 wrote: Quote:
murican wrote: Wouldn't a better witness have been a civil/enviromental engineer, who could have judged the design and structural integrity of the Embankment as a 19th/ 20th century public work, and also could have told us what the environmental impact of removing a century of industrial debris would have on our community? Did anyone stay to the end? I would like to know what happened after I left at about 7:30pm.
Yes, a civil engineer would have been a better choice - more specifically, a civil engineer who didn't stand to profit tremendously from the destruction of the Embankment. We had to leave shortly after 7:30, would like to hear if there were any more developments.
Resized Image
Steve Hyman?s New Hearing to Demolish 6th Street Embankment Begins By Dale Hardman ? Sep 2nd, 2010 ? Category: Blog, News The latest turn in the ongoing fight over the future of Downtown Jersey City?s 6th Street Embankment began last night at a hearing before the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA), as developer Steve Hyman makes another attempt to tear down the elevated rail line. The initial applications for Certificates of Appropriateness and Certificates of Economic Hardship to demolish the Embankment were denied by the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) last spring. Subsequently, the ZBA denied Hyman a hearing based on the HPC?s ruling and recommendation. Hyman filed suit, arguing that he deserved a fresh hearing on his applications, and that he should have been allowed to present his evidence and state his case before the ZBA. Earlier this summer, Superior Court Judge Maurice Gallipoli agreed, ruling that the ZBA ?was required to determine the case ?completely anew,? and, while giving due deference to the findings and conclusions of the HPC, it was not necessarily to be controlled by them.? At last night?s hearing, Hyman?s attorney Michelle Donato suggested the ZBA go a step further and not use any of the HPC?s findings, instead ?starting from scratch? with this hearing. Donato got the change to interview just one of her six or seven witnesses, Hoboken architect Dean Marchetto. (She will interview the rest as the hearing continues in the coming month.) Marchetto, who has worked with Hyman over the years on possible development designs, testified regarding both the status of the Embankment and its aesthetic appropriateness. The structure, Marchetto said, is ?an abandoned utility construction ? an embarrassment and an eyesore.? continued at Jersey City Independent

Posted on: 2010/9/3 3:23
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Wouldn't a better witness have been a civil/enviromental engineer, who could have judged the design and structural integrity of the Embankment as a 19th/ 20th century public work, and also could have told us what the environmental impact of removing a century of industrial debris would have on our community?

Did anyone stay to the end? I would like to know what happened after I left at about 7:30pm.

Yes, a civil engineer would have been a better choice - more specifically, a civil engineer who didn't stand to profit tremendously from the destruction of the Embankment.

We had to leave shortly after 7:30, would like to hear if there were any more developments.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
When the expert "architect" who was called to give his professional opinion about the Embankment recounted his previous projects, I got shivers. One was the Sugar House, which has been plagued with horrific water intrusion problems, another was the robotic parking garage in Hoboken, which is always breaking down.

Did anyone stay to the end? I would like to know what happened after I left at about 7:30pm.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just received my certified letter TODAY for YESTERDAYS meeting. I'm just pleased he wasted $3.24/letter.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
People who received the late letters should go to a subsequent session and object. They should state that they have been prejudiced by the late notice because they have not had the opportunity to hear and respond to the entire application. If for whatever reason the decision was to allow the Embankment to be torn down, this would be a valid grounds for appeal.

Hyman's attorneys have been doing this all along, manipulating the records to scream about technicalities so they could reverse decisions adverse to them. Let it work both ways.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I went from 6-7:45 last night but it may have gone as late as 10 pm - would be interested in how it ended for those there.

Hyman's lawyer (Donato) who, ahem, 'timely' sent those letters to residents, began by providing an overview of the history of the legal situation, with a primary message being that her client has been unfairly treated and her hope is that with this council, they will do the 'right thing.' She said that this is not about whether the area should be a park or condos, but is about whether the Embankment is legitimately a landmark and, subsequently, whether her client should have the right to use her property as she sees fit.

We stayed through the first witness, an architect who would be the one who'd convert the embankment into condos (so, clearly, no bias there, right?) who presented 1) his resume/background 2) his firm's expertise in refurbishing old buildings in a way that fits in with the neighborhood and surrounding aesthetic 3) his opinion that the embankment is an eye-sore with no intrinsic aesthetic or historical value (leveraging a JC-sponsored study from 1998 for validation) and that it's a barrier in the middle of HP.

Some highlights/loopholes:

- He's biased... if this was truly a neutral architect, I'd be more inclined to believe his testimony.
- The Berlin wall ain't exactly pretty but it has meaning to those who live near it or visit it; who is he to say what has meaning to the residents of JC....
- Donato said this wasn't about condos or parks... yet his whole opening diatribe was about his firm's expertise in making condos and parking garages fit within the neighborhood, almost a play to the residents to say, 'hey, see, this won't be that bad...'
- He mentioned only his expertise with buildings, not necessarily with a structure similar to the Embankment....
- Quasi-high rise condos won't be a barrier in the middle of HP?

This was the first of 3 or 4 sessions to plead their case and the Embankment Preservation Coalition - and the lawyer representing them - will have opportunities to present the alternative view. I believe the public will have their opportunities as well; it wasn't clear if that occurs at each session or in a final session but I'm sure the Coalition will post updates on JCList and via their e-mails.

Not rocket science... but I think it's critical: if you're against demolishing the embankment, our strongest arguments are NOT that we just simply DON'T want condos or WANT a park but that we want to preserve the embankment and the reasons for that. Simply 'not wanting condos' will just make Donato/Hyman say, 'well, too bad, this is my property' but explaining why 'keeping' the embankment and the historical importance and/or meanings it has for us (whether it's uniqueness, slice of history, watershed) is key.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Who is this dude paying off? The judge? Who is on the take here?

Healy.

D'uh!

Posted on: 2010/9/2 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Furious about getting a certified letter Tuesday that I missed because I work like the rest of the population. I sign the certification notice to accept it being mailed, post man picks it up on Wednesday and I suppose I get the letter today. All owners in my area had the same issue. We all don't know what it is, but it makes sense it's telling us about LAST NIGHTS meeting. I call Bull Shiz! Now he's made me angry.

Anyone know what happened to the meeting I was never informed about thanks to their well timed certified letter I still haven't received?

Who is this dude paying off? The judge? Who is on the take here?

Posted on: 2010/9/2 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Why doesn't the City use its eminent domain powers. Enuff already!

Posted on: 2010/9/1 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, if at all possible, please try to attend tonight @ 6 pm. I'd love to see a similar energy in the community around this as we had for the pipeline meetings.

It seemed the community was gaining traction with avoiding it being turned into condos, but that's not the case now. The months of living with development will be a nightmare let alone the rumor that the 1000-1500 units of condos may be 7-10 stories tall.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 18:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just received a certified letter (that required signature) from the lawyers of the Hyman group today announcing the meeting tonight, meaning no one who works outside of the home will receive it. Although I did know about the meeting ahead of time this is a pretty underhanded attempt to suppress turnout. Not surprising whatsoever, but if I had not been checking JC List this week I would not have known about this. Everyone who can please come to City Hall tonight at 6 - we happen to have property right in front of the embankment, but anyone who lives at least 4 or 5 blocks in any direction would be affected by the demolition. Air pollution, potential contaminants, loss of a tremendous water shed, massive traffic issues, historical loss - all bad things.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
New Hearing on Steve Hyman?s Applications to Tear Down the Embankment Set for Wednesday

THE DETAILS
Special meeting of the Jersey City Zoning Board of Adjustment; Wednesday, September 1 at 6 pm; City Hall?s Council Chambers, 280 Grove St. (2nd Floor).

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... nkment-set-for-wednesday/

In June, Superior Court Judge Maurice Gallipoli ruled that developer Steve Hyman was entitled to a new hearing before the city?s Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) regarding his petition to tear down the 6th Street Embankment. The ZBA has scheduled a special meeting to hear the case Wednesday evening.

Hyman?s initial applications for Certificates of Appropriateness and Certificates of Economic Hardship related to his application to demolish the elevated former rail line were denied by the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) last spring. Hyman appealed those decisions to the city?s ZBA, which denied his appeals last August. Hyman then filed suit, arguing that he deserved a fresh hearing on his applications, and that he should have been allowed to present his evidence and state his case before the ZBA ? an argument Gallipoli agreed with.

?The ZBA was required to determine the case ?completely anew? and, while giving due deference to the findings and conclusions of the HPC, it was not necessarily to be controlled by them,? Gallipoli wrote.

This week?s hearing comes as Hyman maintains he has no interest in selling the Embankment properties to the city, despite the City Council?s July vote approving about $7.6 million in bonds to acquire the contested land.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
From an email I got today:

Dear Hamilton Park Community:

With little advance notice, the JC Board of Adjustment will be conducting a Special Meeting regarding the 6th Street Embankment this coming Wednesday, September 1 at 6pm at City Hall.

It's important for all concerned residents to attend this meeting to express their opposition to opening the Embankment to commercial development.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Owner refuses to sell Sixth Street Embankment
Monday, July 26, 2010

By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The owner of the Sixth Street Embankment has told Jersey City officials she will not sell the land, despite the City Council voting last week to bond $7.7 million to buy the coveted elevated land.

Supporters hoped the bond would bring an end to a years-long dispute over the parcel on Sixth Street between Marin Boulevard and Newark Avenue.

But Victoria Hyman, wife of developer Steve Hyman, who purchased the property from Conrail for $3 million in 2003, sent a letter Monday to various city officials saying she doesn't want to sell and hopes to develop the site.

"This (proposed development) would make the city money rather than drain the (city's) resources any further while cleaning and gentrifying the area and potentially creating many millions of dollars in new taxes and many full-time jobs," she wrote.

The city filed a lawsuit in 2006 arguing that under federal law, Conrail should have offered the site to the city before selling it to Hyman. That lawsuit is still pending.

Steve Hyman said the city refused to sign an agreement that would have settled the litigation and resulted in the Hymans' sale of the property to the city. He also said he and the city never agreed on a price.

Administration officials declined to comment.

"I used to think we needed Dr. Henry Kissinger to get involved as negotiation was complex, but now I think we need Dr. Phil instead," observed Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop, whose district includes the embankment.

Hyman presented a plan to the city in 2007 that called for 75 percent of the walls to remain and 1,000 to 1,500 residential units, in addition to a light rail link and public park. His wife said they're still committed to providing a park alongside the development.

Victoria Hyman said she hopes to develop the land into something like the High Line, a New York City park on a former elevated freight line.

The Embankment Preservation Coalition and Rails-to-Trails Conservancy have been fighting to turn the parcel into a park with trails. Jersey City officials have said they want it to connect NJ Transit Light Rail on the waterfront with Journal Square.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 10:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
i disagree. why fight over "just compensation" when the jerk has no right to the property in the first place? let the current process put the property back on auction.

also, it's cute how hyman said she supports gentrification. nobody told her it's a dirty word? and nobody told her hamilton park doesn't need it?

Posted on: 2010/7/22 17:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I was in no way down with the use of eminent domain in Brooklyn recently. Kicking people and businesses out for Ratner ? no thank you.

But coronalime and hero69 said it.

1,500 residential units?!

Posted on: 2010/7/22 3:40

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 27 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact