Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 3rd Quarter Property Tax Bills - question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Please forgive my stupid question, but this is THE tax raise they told us about, right? Are they going to raise our taxes again in the near future?

I can only hope that the door-to-door assessment will lower my taxes somewhat. Looking at my mortgage statement, my principal and interest combined are dwarfed by my taxes!!

Given the fact the city is $80mil in the hole and is doing nothing concrete to fill that gap.. yeah.. we are going to get hit with another tax increase.

At some point, the city will raise taxes to the point where people will just stop paying them. At that point, the tax delinquent list printed in the Jersey Journal will be thicker than the rest of the paper.

The question here is: how come the tax increase is not affecting Mayor or the Council members? They seem to be very happy to pay unlike rest of us !!!

That's all public record. If you want to sniff out a story you can find all Councilmembers property tax records online, assessed values, payments made, etc. You can even use other resources to figure whether they're under/over assessed, and track the impact of the upcoming reassement on their properties. I had a look at that stuff some time back - didn't see any skeletons. I would speculate though that currently, properties without listed sq footage seem to be currently under-assessed. But that's speculation and applies to a lot of properties, not just some Councilmembers. Feel free to do your own digging.

PS: Average Jersey City property values have dropped over 10% 2009-2010 to date. Anyone that didn't appeal their tax bill last year should do so this year as soon as you receive you bills (around Feb). Even if you appealed last year and were successful, I'd recommend you appeal again. I know Steven Fulop is going to be organizing some workshops with the JC Tax Assessors end of the year or early next year. Highly recommend people attend them - you could easily save yourselves thousands in taxes.

Posted on: 2010/9/18 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Please forgive my stupid question, but this is THE tax raise they told us about, right? Are they going to raise our taxes again in the near future?

I can only hope that the door-to-door assessment will lower my taxes somewhat. Looking at my mortgage statement, my principal and interest combined are dwarfed by my taxes!!

Given the fact the city is $80mil in the hole and is doing nothing concrete to fill that gap.. yeah.. we are going to get hit with another tax increase.

At some point, the city will raise taxes to the point where people will just stop paying them. At that point, the tax delinquent list printed in the Jersey Journal will be thicker than the rest of the paper.

The question here is: how come the tax increase is not affecting Mayor or the Council members? They seem to be very happy to pay unlike rest of us !!!

The tax increase will affect every property owner in Jersey City. They (J.C.) have raised property taxes every year. The rate has gone up about $5 a year for the past 5 years other years the increments have beed about 3 or 4 dollars. The rate in 1988 was $100 then dropped to below $30 the year after because of the re-val you have to have a happy medium. In 2009 the J.C. property tax rate was around $60 per $1000 assesed value. This year it will be around $69 that is a 15% hike. So it is a 9 dollar jump the highest since the last re-val. It is what it is, and no less.

Posted on: 2010/9/16 20:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

Posted on: 2010/9/8 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

Posted on: 2010/9/8 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/9/7 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
gotta be anarchy, new regime, Fulop is good, but I think,
a more conservative candidate would be better.
Starve the pension Beast, save the simple museum, library and reduce taxes.

The towns that have gotten out of their pension obligations have done so by basically firing the entire police and fire departments. Those services where then contracted out. Either via a privately run fire department and / or by contracting out the police protection with a neighboring town or country sheriff's department.

Posted on: 2010/8/28 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I will bring up your plan at the next anarchists' meeting.

Posted on: 2010/8/28 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/8/28 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
My taxes went up $580!! That is one full mortgage payment. They have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!! I can't afford this on unemployment!!

I keep thinking of "No taxation without representation!" With the exception of a few council people, this administration doesn't give a damn about its constituents.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 22:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 17:19
Group:
Registered Users
our 3rd quarter tax tripled for some reason.
muni tax - $620; non-muni - $520; total tax - $1140...
amount owed....$4000!

you gotta be kidding! we've done no improvements outside of standard maintenance and repairs. and we never received any prior notice / certified letter stating why or how much the increase was. they just sent the bill.
I realize that a reval is necessary and I don't mind paying my fair share - but for the reassessment only to happen to some property owners and not others is just unfair (and illegal?) and I assume this raise has nothing to do with the larger reval that is going to happen later.

thanks for the info on how to appeal...will definitely be doing that...(if I don't move out of this town first)

Posted on: 2010/8/19 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
When we got reassessed, the tax office claimed it was because the previous owner had pulled a permit for some work. Nothing big; new floors put over the old ones. No addition, no big renovation. So we were really surprised when we got reassessed two years after that permit was issued..

I can shed some light on that. The Building Department got raided by the police (exact details of what they are looking for.. I can't say). The records collected were in such disarray that a forensic auditor was assigned to work though everything.

The building department failed to collect payments for abated properties. They also failed to properly report completed projects to the tax department.

You got this two years after the date probably because the tax department is still playing catch-up.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
When we got reassessed, the tax office claimed it was because the previous owner had pulled a permit for some work. Nothing big; new floors put over the old ones. No addition, no big renovation. So we were really surprised when we got reassessed two years after that permit was issued..

Posted on: 2010/8/17 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
. So they should have had a heads up about the re-assessed value and subsequent tax implications? (I'm a recent homeowner and trying to understand the logistics myself).

Whenever I got re-assessed, I received a certified letter stating such which included a bill since the assessment is back billed to the beginning of the fiscal year.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
The only way that someone's property should be reassessed is if it's a new construction or it's been a complete renovation/addition, right? So if ppl are getting these bills that seem high, it should be because they had their property re-assessed. So they should have had a heads up about the re-assessed value and subsequent tax implications? (I'm a recent homeowner and trying to understand the logistics myself).

Posted on: 2010/8/17 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Ok.

Don't confuse assessed value on you property bill with the implied market value of your property. Because JC properties have not been fully reassessed since the 80s, the assessed value is a fraction of what the City thinks your property is worth. This year market value * 27% = JC assessed value given the county's 0.27 equalization rate.

The upcoming reval of properties will try to assess current market value and reflect that in your bill. I'd be surprised if the City has done this mid-year to anyone. From what I understand the reval will be done over the next 2-3 years, and won't hit your bill until the following year.

If you want to challenge your property tax bill you can get professional help or do it yourself. I'd recommend the latter approach.

www.easytaxfix.com works very well. You can do everything online. It also lets you know if you have a good basis for an appeal. JC works on a comparative sales in the Oct 2009-Sep 2010 period for 2011 appeals, and takes the average price/sq ft. You have to appeal for 2011 taxes around Feb-April 2011. You are too late to appeal 2010. If your appeal is successful it's valid for 3 years or until the next City-wide reval, whichever is earlier.

The City appraisers at City Hall are actually very approachable. It's not an adversial process. They can help with any questions you have, and to be honest they do a great job helping out folks with a genuine appeal.

www.hudsoncountytax.com has the actual downloadable appeal forms for reference. www.zillow.com is also a good reference for market valuations.

I successfully appealed my JC property tax bill for 2010 and had it reduced by 40%. I recommend this approach for everyone.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/8/17 2:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
I am in total shock looking at my bill. The quarterly payment already increased from $500 to $1000 as of last year. My latest bill was for almost $4000!!!!

MDM, do you mind sharing more info about how you go about filing an appeal, and any tips for a successful appeal?

Posted on: 2010/8/17 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coop wrote:
I just called the tax office and was told that a reassessment of my property had kicked in this quarter. This has increased my assessment threefold and therefore my taxes reflect that increase. And the appeal season for this assessment is not until January so I can't do anything, except pay the bill, until then.

Been there, done that. People in the downtown (1 to 4 family buildings and condos) should not be surprised if their assessments go up 100% to even 200%. I figured this when I went through the County Board of Appeals. A former tenant of mine pulled comps (real estate agent) and in the process of building my appeal, I realized the downtowner's are going to get hosed during the next reassessment.

The reason is that on 1 to 4 family homes (residential.. not commercial properties) the tax is based on comparable resale values and square footage. With the huge runup in sale prices during the housing bubble, people in the downtown are now a big, fat, juicy tax target.

Welcome to tax hell everyone! I ended up a here a few years ago. BTW: my appeal was partially successful (got the 200k in tax assessed value increase reduced by about 81k). Still, I am paying over $20k a year now on my 4 family.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/22 2:07
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I just called the tax office and was told that a reassessment of my property had kicked in this quarter. This has increased my assessment threefold and therefore my taxes reflect that increase. And the appeal season for this assessment is not until January so I can't do anything, except pay the bill, until then.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/22 2:07
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Same thing with my tax bill. 3Q municipal tax is ~350 and non-municipal is ~250. But I am being billed for a total of $1950!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You got me... I pulled out my bill that arrived on Saturday. Everything ads up correctly on the one bills I pulled. Sounds like you might need to take a trip to city hall and ask them.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 14:00

3rd Quarter Property Tax Bills - question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not starting this thread to bitch and moan about my third quarter property tax bill, because I'm sure there has been plenty of that already on these boards and there will be plenty more.

What I don't get is that my 3rd quarter property tax bill shows that I owe ~$550 for municipal tax and ~$450 for non-municipal tax, for a total 3rd quarter amount of ~$1000.

Yet, at the bottom of the same bill, it says ~$1500 under "Balance of 3rd quarter due".

$450 plus $550 does not equal $1500 - can anyone help me out here?

I know the Healy administration leaves something to be desired, but I did have faith in their basic math skills.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 2:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017