Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NEWPORT BEDBUGS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
According to the bedbug registry, Newport's infected buildings include THE ATLANTIC (31 River Court,) THOMAS JEFFERSON, JAMES MADISON, (30 and 40 Newport Parkway and and JAMES MONROE CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!(45 River Drive.)

Here's the entire pile reported for Downtown JC:
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/locatio ... 10/Jersey-City/River-Dr-S

Posted on: 2010/9/6 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Newport is perfectly safe even strolling at 3 AM, it is the most conveniect place in the County for carless shopping and the gardens are beautiful, (or they were before management forgot to turn on sprinklers this Summer so all the lawns are dead...just like projectrs,) the hallways are regularly recarpeted and wallpapered, every building has 24 hour doormen. And what can be easier than an on-site PATH station. By JC standards, the apartments are spacious and bright.

But it is NO Longer the place I moved into mainly because of incompetent management, bugs, and the mass renting to temporatry visa workers and conversions to student dormitories...resulting in the MASSIVE turnover that ENIGMA implies.
WHere once the hallways were vacuumed DAILY, they are now done MONTHLY.

The physical plant is also deteriorating and it takes competent management to deal with failing cheap infrastructure and cheap is Lefrak's middle name. Wait til the plumbing starts going pipe after pipe. Perhaps that broken water main TWICE in the same place next to Target is indicative of worse BIG problems to come.

The thought of bedbugs so frightens me that I hope to get out before the inevitability crawls into bed with me.

I PRAY that neither neighbor moves away anytime soon although at least 4 apartments on my floor have changed hands in the last year.

Bad enough for renters, but sympathise with some unwary soul who took out a half million dollar mortgage for a one bedroom and cannot dump it in this makret AND finds bedbugs. Talk about "jump off the terrace" material!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Enigma31 wrote:
The East Hampton building is loaded with roaches...I rented there for 2 years without seeing a single roach...But, towards the last 2 months of my lease, 5 other apartments had emptied out on my floor and the roaches started coming....It was disgusting...I contacted management, including Vienna Timmins, and they did nothing to help rectify the problem....In fact, they wanted to increase my rent another 5% if I were to renew my lease....I was already paying over 2 grand a month to live there...I immediately moved out and I'm so glad I did...I hate Newport! Those buildings are not well maintained at all!

Icky eww! these apartment dwellings never seem to address this ongoing problem they just want to ingnore it all. I am so glad that people are surfacing to the fact of the source of these critters and not scolding you or the others for stating the obvious.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 21:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/6 4:43
Group:
Registered Users
The East Hampton building is loaded with roaches...I rented there for 2 years without seeing a single roach...But, towards the last 2 months of my lease, 5 other apartments had emptied out on my floor and the roaches started coming....It was disgusting...I contacted management, including Vienna Timmins, and they did nothing to help rectify the problem....In fact, they wanted to increase my rent another 5% if I were to renew my lease....I was already paying over 2 grand a month to live there...I immediately moved out and I'm so glad I did...I hate Newport! Those buildings are not well maintained at all!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
Coming to the sad realization that this building will never be secure as as long as it remains a H1B visa halfway house hotel with people and their luggage coming and going every other day.

Did you also know that HUNDREDS of the apartments (no exaggeration) are being used as student dormitories with waves of young people crowding in each semester.
These rentals are made to a couple schools who deal directly with the Landlord. Not only does the population change with every semeseter, but with every break, out go a thousand suitcases to points unknown and come back a week or two later with CONTENTS unknown.

It is TRANSIENT populations that bring bedbugs, whether hoboes, students, Visa workers, or new immigrants. People living for 20 years in a single family homes do NOT get bedbugs because the bugs do not travel well without human assistance.

Alas, I do not think that there is a more transient population in Jersey City than Newport, perhaps St. Lucy's Shelter.

So this is where and what we have come to, what a cross roads. This is one reason why I am glad I did not buy into Newport. Imagine having to own and worse yet trying to sell a unit in this place. At least with renting you can leave at anytime even with a lease because of the bugs. How is the other pests (if any) controlled in these towers any signs of roaches or ants to name a few ? I believe hostels are better maintained.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Coming to the sad realization that this building will never be secure as as long as it remains a H1B visa halfway house hotel with people and their luggage coming and going every other day.

Did you also know that HUNDREDS of the apartments (no exaggeration) are being used as student dormitories with waves of young people crowding in each semester.
These rentals are made to a couple schools who deal directly with the Landlord. Not only does the population change with every semeseter, but with every break, out go a thousand suitcases to points unknown and come back a week or two later with CONTENTS unknown.

It is TRANSIENT populations that bring bedbugs, whether hoboes, students, Visa workers, or new immigrants. People living for 20 years in a single family homes do NOT get bedbugs because the bugs do not travel well without human assistance.

Alas, I do not think that there is a more transient population in Jersey City than Newport, perhaps St. Lucy's Shelter.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
topcat,

Did Lefrak pick up all or most of your costs? Did the exterminator do most of the work or was it all laid on your head?

Posted on: 2010/8/1 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Whats_on wrote:
[quote]

It has been reported over and over that bedbugs have nothing to do with sanitary or unsanitary conditions. They just like humans, be they in Newport or a 5-star hotel. But Heights never lets a fact get in the way of a xenophobic rant. Carry on.

Just call 'em like I see 'em. It's a known fact travelling back and forth to far off lands has it's consequences. One fact is that travelling can bring these little critters into the country. At one time the U.S. had eradicated bed bugs but between the weak pesticides being used today because of the environment and all those Green thinkers out there and the pattern yes pattern of immigration this has brought bed bugs as a constant nuisance in our American culture. I'm curious, those that bashed me for what I stated in the above posts calling me xenophobic are you of foreign extraction ? If not then why are you not embracing home grown ethics ? What happened to Americans first ?? Why such support for foreigners on our shores when some have such a disregard for our culture ? I've seen it many times.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 9:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/1 2:41
Group:
Registered Users
Finally got bed bugs:( Live on upper floor of Thomas Jefferson and after pulling back box spring saw the horrific critters. This is the first time I have encountered them.

Just fumigated the room, vaporized the sheets, encased the mattress, and power steamed furniture/floor cracks. What a nightmare. So depressing to think that no matter how sterile I make my room the bed bugs will somehow find a way to invade my apartment. Coming to the sad realization that this building will never be secure as as long as it remains a H1B visa halfway house hotel with people and their luggage coming and going every other day.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
They added an UPDATE to the 60 Columbus Story:

Quote:
As a precautionary measure, we have engaged an exterminator to conduct an investigation on the, 18th, 19th, and 20th floors at 60 Columbus tonight beginning at approximately 6:30pm. The primary method for detection is a trained canine who will be accompanied by a handler as well as a Related employee. So, please do not be alarmed if you should see them walking the floors.

UPDATE: We're all clear! >>

Whether that means they are all clear NOW, or were all clear THEN is not specified. Or whether the "We're all clear" is meant just to reassure the people who have spent several to many millions for their condos...probably the most espensive post-war apartments (that WW2 , there have been so MANY) in New York.
The panic must be palapable, espercially for someone looking to unload a 5 million dollar apartment.

THe article confused me. Should I take it to read that RELATED found bedbugs at ONE headquarters, on 55th Street a couple blocks South, and thus for some unexplained reason they thought they might therefore have an infestation at the nearby Time Warner Center, 60 Columbus?
Or does RELATED have offices in both?
The addresses are confusing...I think 80 Columbus includes the the Mandarin Hotel, again a transient population. I think the accepted addresses for the two condo towers are 80 and 25 Columbus Circle.

yes, www.bedbugregistry.com is a very good suggestion.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 12:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/6 18:06
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Please report your bed bugs to bedbugregistry.com so we can all track the spread and contain it before it gets out of control

Posted on: 2010/7/30 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Bedbug Scare at Columbus Circle's Time Warner Center

Never before has the need for a New York City Bedbug Czar been so abundantly clear: The bloodsucking bastards are making a move on some of Manhattan's priciest real estate. Maybe. The Related Companies, developer of the twin-towered Time Warner Center shopping mall/offices/hotel/condos complex, sent out this alert yesterday to company employees working in the 60 Columbus Circle side of the TWC compound, aka Related HQ:

To All Staff,

As you might already be aware, a minor bed bug condition was discovered at our 55th Street offices.

As a precautionary measure, we have engaged an exterminator to conduct an investigation on the, 18th, 19th, and 20th floors at 60 Columbus tonight beginning at approximately 6:30pm. The primary method for detection is a trained canine who will be accompanied by a handler as well as a Related employee. So, please do not be alarmed if you should see them walking the floors.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
i don't live in newport or the heights but i definitely had a nightmare last night that my mattress - and myself - were under attack. this thread has given me such paranoia.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Whats_on wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
No I am well aware of their origin, and yes a learning curve would enhance you preception of things. It is the people themselves and their backwood culture that creates a pattern that seems to be swaying towards unsanitary health practices. Such as food handling, hand washing, lice, surroundings, communications, legal matters, the list goes on. It?s pretty obvious since 911 with the abundance and forgiveness of these ?invaders? it is becoming more difficult to gain trust of their intentions. Remember they are guests here on our American soil and the welcome wagon has to be earned.

Your post makes absolutely no sense: your English is atrocious, your geography is obviously off and its hard to find any logic in there. In any case, I won't bother with replying to your posts because you have proved them to be worthless several times over.

Xerxes has a point about the transient nature of the Newport residents as well as the fact that the bedbug situation is literally being pushed under the carpet. Hopefully the management will address this situation before it gets too bad.

It has been reported over and over that bedbugs have nothing to do with sanitary or unsanitary conditions. They just like humans, be they in Newport or a 5-star hotel. But Heights never lets a fact get in the way of a xenophobic rant. Carry on.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 1:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Whats_on wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
What as a souvenir ? By the way which is "their" country here... or there ? And while we're at the subject at hand why rule out anything suspect.

Are you looking for a geography lesson? For some reason I assumed xenophobia came along with a basic knowledge of the map. Well, I have a lot to learn myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia

No I am well aware of their origin, and yes a learning curve would enhance you preception of things. It is the people themselves and their backwood culture that creates a pattern that seems to be swaying towards unsanitary health practices. Such as food handling, hand washing, lice, surroundings, communications, legal matters, the list goes on. It?s pretty obvious since 911 with the abundance and forgiveness of these ?invaders? it is becoming more difficult to gain trust of their intentions. Remember they are guests here on our American soil and the welcome wagon has to be earned.

What is a backwood culture?

What is an invader?

What soil is yours and why?

Posted on: 2010/7/30 1:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Your post makes absolutely no sense: your English is atrocious, your geography is obviously off and its hard to find any logic in there. In any case, I won't bother with replying to your posts because you have proved them to be worthless several times over.

You should cut heights some slack. It's after 12pm, so he's just started his drinking.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 22:04
Come on and rock me Amadeus

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/15 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Xerxes has a point about the transient nature of the Newport residents as well as the fact that the bedbug situation is literally being pushed under the carpet. Hopefully the management will address this situation before it gets too bad.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Newport specifically has changed from a housing project/development with a relatively stable population of citizens to one with a large proportion of non-citizen visa-workers, mostly from India and China, but from many other places as well, who regularly travel back and forth. Their job assignments are often only a couple years duration so the population has become transient. The more NEW people moving into a place the more likely one of them will bring unwanted guests with them.

To me the term "their" or "our country" refers to the country of citizenship. That's the way the term has always been used and that way seems to make sense.

This should not be a blame game...the bugs are already here, but rather what can be done about the status quo and the status moving forward.
But it is all important to isolate and treat infestations. I doubt that the landlord is doing either. Instead Lefrak is keeping everything under wraps which may benefit THEM but not the unwary tenants, old and new.

In the absence of information, we must keep one another informed and that is why I started this thread.

So if you know specific info about Newport bedbug sightings, let us know.

(I'd have also used the NWA website, but it moribund unto the point of death.)

Posted on: 2010/7/29 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Whats_on wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
What as a souvenir ? By the way which is "their" country here... or there ? And while we're at the subject at hand why rule out anything suspect.

Are you looking for a geography lesson? For some reason I assumed xenophobia came along with a basic knowledge of the map. Well, I have a lot to learn myself.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
Newport is this century's Ellis Island.

That is a GREAT line, icechute.

Thank you, although I still prefer my perennially applicable but tediously repeatable line of "Crime is down; Healy said so."

"Itch is gone; Bedbugs said so!"

Posted on: 2010/7/29 17:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2010/7/29 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Whats_on wrote:
Maybe the SE Asians need to be careful about taking the bedbugs back to their countries.

What as a souvenir ? By the way which is "their" country here... or there ? And while we're on the subject at hand why rule out anything suspect.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 16:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been dreading this since I first heard of the infestation of bedbugs in Manhattan and then in JC Heights. Just the idea makes me itch.

Its probably just been carried across the river. However, why do you think this has anything to do with the southeast Asians. They've been here for the longest time and the bedbugs are a pretty recent occurence. The roaches are a different matter though. Maybe the SE Asians need to be careful about taking the bedbugs back to their countries.

However, thanks for posting this. At least I know its gotten closer.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:

Thank you, although I still prefer my perennially applicable but tediously repeatable line of "Crime is down; Healy said so."

Posted on: 2010/7/29 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Quote:
g0d damn newport and ellis island and all those emmergrants and non-'mercans, bringin their food and bugs and religions and smells over here.

Their food, their religions and their smells are tolerable, even desirable...but their bedbugs are completely objectionable, to everyone but them.

But if Wall Street back rooms need cheap labor, then Newport residents get welts.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
g0d damn newport and ellis island and all those emmergrants and non-'mercans, bringin their food and bugs and religions and smells over here.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

Bingo ! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/7/29 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
For Newporters who come into the JCList, let's use this thread as a place where we can trade information about bedbugs whether in the rentals or the condos.
I don't have them and I don't want them but with the endless stream of transient South Asians with their bevy of suitcases going back and forth every holiday, I think the infections can only spread.

I knew it was only a matter of time, as far as back and forth it is more like the constant new-comers in droves that bring the little buggers here. The airlines are the next stop for these bed bugs. Just look at the stories of the ships bringing immigrants in at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries, it was a menace to society. 21st century in the age of technology and we have to contend with this culture shock.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 12:36

NEWPORT BEDBUGS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
For Newporters who come into the JCList, let's use this thread as a place where we can trade information about bedbugs whether in the rentals or the condos.
I know that Lefrak will be totally silent on the subject and would prefer that our first clues as to the danger will be our awakening some morning with suspisioud itchy bites.

A friend in the Thomas Jesfferson told me there was an outbreak on the higher floors including his apartment. I have seen several discarrded mattresses whose seams were covered in red and brown spots and crusty exoskeletal remains. These were deposited next to the dumpsters aside the George Washington.

I talked to our exterminator about extent of infections, and methods employed to combat them, but he seemed deliberately vague.

I don't have them and I don't want them but with the endless stream of transient South Asians with their bevy of suitcases going back and forth every holiday, I think the infections can only spread.

Do you know anything? Can you think of any suggestions to get management out of the DENIAL stage and face reality...I know, rhetorical question.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 12:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017