Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Re: Jersey City Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps Jr. $300.000.00/year
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
+1 T-Bird!

I was there too and it was all a show, the procession of Sandra Cunningham, Charles Mainor, Jeff Dublin, Viola Richardson, and vendors who depend on the largesses of patronage contracts, all there to play politics with the over 28,000 children in our public schools. Brits would call them wankers.

I'm surprised DanL that you would coutenance to just "move on"? T-Bird eloquently states why Epps is a lose/lose situation if he gets his contract extended. We need someone who is not gaming the system to feather their retirement bed. Carol Lester abstained on July 22nd (she explained why as there were both process and legal questions still not resolved )and I hope she will not just be "moving on" in her vote Aug 11th as both you and I and others here supported Carol to bring change just like Sterling Waterman is doing. I know that Sterling Waterman will be voting for a National Search and that Angel Valentin thinks he "was tricked". as he states repeatedly, to call for a National Search.

*NOTE* Carol Lester did a great job in putting the Spectra Natural Gas Pipeline on the agenda and allowing several of us to speak to this issue. Carol's efforts were very successful as will be noted in further discussion to be updated soon Here on JCList

If the Board is so afraid of the even "possibility" that there are better candidates for Epps positon as Superintendent based on their results, then that would explain all the hubris of not wanting a National Search. If the Board were secure in that Epps is the best candidate why not expose him to the process of a National Search? As one resident spoke up said near the end, "What are you afraid of?"

The "show", had anyone not speaking on Epps behalf as scheduled after all these "public officials" spoke who not surprisingly came unscheduled and so the Board allowed them the "courtesy" of speaking first, before us all on the scheduled agenda. The audience was stacked with those who show up at most board meetings, interrupting speakers who didn't sign up for the "we are the world" songfest on Epps behalf, sycophants shouting out "call and response" church-based hosannas to Epps and damnation to others not so inclined.

Since there was a small audience it was good to see some of the Board state their biases upfront instead of playing the shell game of hiding their actual thoughts. If you've never been to a board meeting you must go, whether you speak or not, to observe who says what. Remember we always have upcoming school board elections again and we should be finding the right candidates in each Ward that like Sterling Waterman have immediately shown they won't allow the status quo without speaking out effectively.

Fight giving a pass to the Board and Epps on his contract extension. Insist on a National Search to find out who will best improve our public schools for the benefit of all our children, not the politicians and partisans who ask for less and to benefit their own political agenda and patronage.

To do less is to do nothing.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Why is it time to move on? As someone who was actually at the meeting, I can tell you that nothing that was said or that transpired did anything other than perpetuate the after-the-fact backstory that some have come up with in a scared attempt to legitimize their impropriety. A bunch of people got together to sing a song together off a sheet. Why the rush to curtail the process?

As for "what is fair for the superintendent" and "appropriate benchmarks", etc., he is a 66-year old man who may have been handed a two year, half-million dollar-plus present that takes him to retirement. You think he really cares about benchmarks and accountability?

Yes, laying groundwork for the future is important - but what consequences can you imagine coming up with that will compel any accountability over the next three years? You don't want to fight the extension - it's too hard. You think you are going to be willing to fight to terminate him early? Put in all the benchmarks and goals you want, the man will have been given a three-year exemption. There is no "success" in this situation. No accountability = no change for the next three years. It really is that simple.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 19:10
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/13 13:24
Group:
Registered Users
I'm no conpiracy theorist, but it would be interesting to see what Epps has on each board member to constantly receive their undying support. I hear that the good doctor helped to get one board member's son into his ex wife's school. It has been common knowledge that he made a contibution to a past member's campaign. Angel Valentin flipped and i hear he got something for it. DeRosa and he, i hear, are very good friends along with the teacher's union president. Heck, Jerry McCann said something like this himself at a board mtg.
Something has to be amissed, probably with the majority.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 18:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
T-Bird,
I could not have said it better. It is not time to move on. JC citizens must still let InEpps and those BOE members, in favor of an extension, know that we are not in agreement. The citizens have to lobby Schundler and the governor even harder.

Benchmarks and goals are indeed important but Dr. Epps has no respect for anyone, BOE members, the kids or the citizens of JC. This is why the fight must go on.

Let's hope when they vote on Aug 11th, some minds are changed and there are more votes against the contracts with no abstentions.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
The man is a complete moron. Don't care about race, period. You listen to him speak in public and you wonder if he has a clue what he's talking about because he comes off like an idiot despite his degrees. You look at the status of the JC public schools after all these years under his so-called "leadership" and you just want to cry. Been here 25 years and raised two kids. We need someone who can get the job done, not an overpaid idiot-

Posted on: 2010/7/31 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Why is it time to move on? As someone who was actually at the meeting, I can tell you that nothing that was said or that transpired did anything other than perpetuate the after-the-fact backstory that some have come up with in a scared attempt to legitimize their impropriety. A bunch of people got together to sing a song together off a sheet. Why the rush to curtail the process?

As for "what is fair for the superintendent" and "appropriate benchmarks", etc., he is a 66-year old man who may have been handed a two year, half-million dollar-plus present that takes him to retirement. You think he really cares about benchmarks and accountability?

Yes, laying groundwork for the future is important - but what consequences can you imagine coming up with that will compel any accountability over the next three years? You don't want to fight the extension - it's too hard. You think you are going to be willing to fight to terminate him early? Put in all the benchmarks and goals you want, the man will have been given a three-year exemption. There is no "success" in this situation. No accountability = no change for the next three years. It really is that simple.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
time to move on.

we must ensure a "good" contract both for our current superintendent and setting groundwork for the future.

we need a contract with a pay freeze and curtailment of some perks in line with the need for austerity. we need a contract with measurable performance benchmarks and goals.

a successful contract can allow us to move forward confident in our local control.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
The spectacle of Sandy Cunnigham, Charles Mainor,Jeff Dublin, etal speaking at the meeting last nite was truly pathetic. All unbiased observers know that InEpps has done a terrible job and must go. But the political class in Jersey City, be they black or white, fear change above all and will fight to the end.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 0:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/25 3:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Epps is preparing to play the race card to save his sorry behind. 35 out of 40 schools failing but the City must retain an incompetent because of his race ? OY !

+1.

Just check out today's article as proof.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_school_board_hears.html

All the more reason to praise and support Sterling Waterman's opposition to extending this fraud's contract. It's amazing to me that people would sacrifice the education of their children, and the future leaders to represent the African American community (or any ethnicity for that matter) just to stand up for "one of their own".

Embarrassing to say the least.

Go Sterling! .... please continue to stand strong and shake up this corrupt BOE. You truly have the interests of the children in mind; which is beyond commendable.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this Wednesday, July 28th at 5pm, Horace Smith Conference Room, 6th Floor, BOE Central Office, 346 Claremont Ave. there will be a meeting to discuss the terms of the superintendent's contract that will be voted on 8/11. public comment will be taken and then go to closed session.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 12:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/27 2:05
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I am so outraged by this salary. The salary should be half of this amount if anyhting at all. Jersey City Schools are a completed disgrace and this person should be fired.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this Wednesday, July 28th at 5pm, Horace Smith Conference Room, 6th Floor, BOE Central Office, 346 Claremont Ave. there will be a meeting to discuss the terms of the superintendent's contract that will be voted on 8/11. public comment will be taken and then go to closed session.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 1:58

Re: Dr. Epps Contract Extended
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
timeforchange:

I think you are spot-on about the discontentment, outrage, frustration, etc. which exists throughout this city. I have expressed my strong repulsion to the idea of race card/ racial divisions/ race-based support for Inepp on the NJ.com site so I will not repeat it again here.

Well, I guess I can say that Inepp is flat-out wrong if he thinks only the Fulop/ 07302/ downtown/ yuppies and etc are disappointed with Inepp, schools, budgets, 35 of 40, Board of Education baloney, etc. I think you are confirming this more general outrage.

If Inepp assumes he will get support merely based on race... such an insulting and cynical ploy is likely to backfire. Perhaps they will be more careful with their words than that.

So, what is the next step?

How widespread is the discontentment in the African-American community, the Hispanic community, the South Asian community, the Filipino community... etc? I wonder about that.

Strangely, this is a better opportunity than a school board election to see political action. Technological solutions - Facebook groups, etc - might be the forum for organizing here for parents and kids.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
alanwright,
As an african american and parent not in your ZIP, I assure you, I and many many others like me are outraged with the failure of our school system. Some of us are less vocal and some don't have forums such as these but we too want to see change at the top on down. No race card playing here, too much at stake. I applaud those board members who voted against Dr. Epp's contract. Any other stance is irresponsible, disrespectful and unacceptable considering what i hear are the plain and simple facts that 35 out of 40 are failing and our HS graduation rate (less McNair) is hovering around 50% whether NCLB is fair or not. Hopefully, at the end of the day, a national search is done but rest assure african americans do indeed want to see brighter days ahead which does not necessarily include Dr Inepp (had to steal that from you. classic)

Posted on: 2010/7/26 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, screw it. Just give him a raise to $300,000 a year for 10 years and we'll see if he can push it up to 39 of 40 failing schools. Then JC will have to pay $500,000 for someone to come in and clean up the mess. By then, this website will be defunct and we'll all be in the suburbs. Kidding aside... I haven't heard much from Inepp's camp about how testing is not the measure of a school and we can blame No Child Left Behind for everything... But as someone mentioned above, this joker is trying to play on PERCEIVED racial divisions. I guess he thinks African-American rank-and-file citizens don't notice their schools are failing. They clearly do. They're probably just not as vocal or organized as folks in this ZIP. ------------------------------------------------------------ Epps trying to shore up black support http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... ng_to_shore_up_black.html The Jersey City political battle maps show there are trenches being dug in the black community. The issue is Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps, who is seeking to extend his contract. The board voted 6-2-1 this week to do just that but some are not so willing. Epps? four-year "gazillion dollars" contract doesn?t expire until 2011. Freshman school Trustee Sterling Waterman, aligned with Downtown city Councilman Steven Fulop, has argued that board members have had little time to review any contract proposal for Epps, and there has been talk of doing one of those infamous "nationwide" searches to find a better superintendent. This has caused a stir in the black community. They see this as an attempt to push out a qualified black administrator. Some black elected officials have been in contact with each other should they be needed on the Epps front line. ...etc.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
280,000 a year? wow! do the math, thats over $23,000 a month, or $5,833 a week, or $1,166 a day. What the hell does this guy do to earn over a thousand dollars A DAY ? Honestly. And now he wants a raise.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Failures Prompt a Schools Battle

* NY SCHOOLS
* JULY 26, 2010

By BARBARA MARTINEZ

A tussle over the Jersey City schools superintendent's $280,000-a-year contract is headed for a showdown involving New Jersey's education commissioner, putting a spotlight on one of the state's most troubled school districts.

Charles Epps has been superintendent for the past 10 years. Twenty-six of his 37 schools failed last year to make "adequate yearly progress," according to federal standards, and one middle school-?where only 32% of children are proficient in English and 25% proficient in math?has fallen short of the federal goal nine years straight.

Late last month, the local school board voted to forgo an outside search for a new superintendent and to begin negotiating a new three-year contract with Mr. Epps. That enraged some local activists, who have filed a petition with the state to overturn the board's vote.

"There's a window of opportunity to stop rewarding failure," said Steven Fulop, a Jersey City council member who is helping to spearhead the opposition. "Nobody in their right mind would rehire someone who has failing performance without even a cursory look at who else is out there." The petition accuses the school board of failing to give 30 days' notice and opportunity for the public to voice their opinions before the vote.

The school board's president, William DeRosa, said Mr. Fulop represents a small minority of residents and that the majority of the city is supportive of Mr. Epps keeping his job. He said he believes the board voted in compliance with laws, and that the public can voice opinions at an Aug. 11 board meeting.

Mr. Epps could not be reached for comment.

Jersey City, with 240,000 inhabitants, is home to one of New Jersey's largest swaths of "gold coast"?land along the Hudson River with views of Manhattan. While parts boast multimillion-dollar lofts and high-rise condos, tens of thousands live in poverty.
[NYJERSEY]

Resized Image
Critics of Mr. Epps' performance point to his salary, which is higher than the $250,000 earned by the New York City schools chancellor, Joel Klein, who oversees 1,500 schools with 1.1 million children. Jersey City has about 30,000 students. Mr. Epps's contract provides for a car and a driver (the car can be used for personal use), and upon retirement he can cash in 493 unused sick days worth more than $70,000 that he accumulated since starting as a teacher in 1967.

Now it may be up to Bret Schundler, the state's commissioner of education, to referee this fight. Last week, Mr. Schundler called some school-board members to promote the idea of conducting a superintendent search, according to members.

A spokesman for Mr. Schundler would not comment on whether he made any calls. Mr. Schundler may have to take a public position soon, though. The Office of Administrative Law will make a decision on whether the board's vote was proper, and then refer the case to Mr. Schundler, who can agree with it, overrule it or send it elsewhere.

On Friday, Mr. DeRosa said Mr. Schundler had not yet called him. "I wish he would," he said, adding that he'd remind the education commissioner that Gov. Chris Christie didin't conduct a nationwide search before giving Mr. Schundler his job. "I think a national search is very dicey," Mr. DeRosa said. "You don't know what you're going to get." Someone from outside the city "won't even know where the schools are," he said.

Besides, Mr. DeRosa said, Mr. Epps recently introduced a "very powerful plan" to improve the schools, which he said involves transferring teachers and principals. He said the test score troubles are due to a number of student factors. "Some students test well, some don't. Some students are absent a lot and some are not. Some students do well one year and not another," he said.

Some of Mr. Epps' supporters are dubious that any other candidate could easily fix what ails the school system, saying it's not his fault. "Most of the problem is socioeconomic," said Gerald McCann, a former Jersey City mayor.

For Sterling Waterman, one of two school board members who voted against the contract renewal, the issue hits close to home. His soon-to-be third-grader is attending a school that last year slipped into the failing category for the first time. On Wednesday, board members will go into a closed session to discuss the contract.

He hopes his colleagues will reconsider and see "what else is out there. I'd like to see how he stacks up against others." Mr. Waterman is cautiously optimistic: "My fear is that it's too late, but I have to hold on to hope."

Write to Barbara Martinez at Barbara.Martinez@wsj.com

Posted on: 2010/7/26 12:13
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Epps is preparing to play the race card to save his sorry behind. 35 out of 40 schools failing but the City must retain an incompetent because of his race ? OY !

Posted on: 2010/7/24 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
NJ governor speeds up salary cap for school district chiefs
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Last updated: Saturday July 24, 2010, 10:10 AM
BY LESLIE BRODY
The Record
STAFF WRITER

The Christie administration is worried that school district chiefs will try to skirt a new salary cap by extending their old contracts.

Education Commissioner Bret Schundler told county superintendents to start imposing the cap on new contracts now rather than waiting until the new rules are formally in place.

Last week the governor announced that to curb "exorbitant" wages and save taxpayers? money, no district superintendents should make more than his own $175,000 salary, unless they work in the biggest cities or earn bonuses. Christie said the cap would take effect for superintendents when their individual contracts expired, and the Education Department specified that the cap would be imposed after three public hearings, perhaps as soon as December.

The proposal infuriated many school leaders, who said it would lead to an exodus of talent and called for more time for debate. The administration, however, has sped up the plan instead.

At a Wednesday meeting, county superintendents told the commissioner they had heard that some district leaders wanted to prolong their current contracts to avoid the looming caps, education spokesman Alan Guenther said Friday. He said the commissioner was concerned about that possibility and told county superintendents to prevent it by imposing the cap on any new contracts now. There is no plan to impose it on unexpired contracts.

"We announced the new cap to restore order and rationality to the pay scale for administrators," Guenther said. "County superintendents will exercise their authority to review contracts and to reject contracts that try to circumvent efforts to control spending."

Some educators and advocates were upset by the news and questioned the administration?s legal authority to change regulations before public input.

"To start it before you even adjusted the code to reflect the new policy seems inappropriate, confusing to folks and destabilizing for leadership," said Lynne Strickland, executive director of the Garden State Coalition of Schools. "There are some important technical questions ? but it?s getting rammed through."

"I don?t think you can make rules through a press conference," echoed Richard Bozza, executive director of the New Jersey Association of School Administrators. "Our position is there is no cap until the rules are in place" through the standard process, which includes public testimony.

Guenther, the Education Department spokesman, said he had no proof that any particular district chief was trying to game the system by extending a contract. He added that the cap would not be imposed on a contract that was negotiated recently and already in the final stages of review by a county superintendent.

According to Christie?s office, 70 percent of superintendents statewide earn more than the salary cap, which would save taxpayers $9.8 million yearly. The cap would limit superintendent pay by student enrollment; chiefs of districts with 250 children, for example, could not make a base salary exceeding $120,000. The plan also included options for annual merit bonuses worth up to 15 percent of pay.

Many superintendents were upset and demoralized by Christie?s plan, saying it undermined local control. They also noted the caps didn?t take into account a superintendent?s length of service or advanced degrees and didn?t apply to such highly paid public employees as police chiefs, university officials and the Rutgers University football coach.

The Christie administration "is making us feel like criminals and that?s not fair," said Terrance Brennan, Pompton Lakes school superintendent, who makes about $197,000 in his 37th year as an educator. "We?ve spent many dedicated years taking care of children. To be treated this way at the end of our careers is wrong. We didn?t create this situation."

Christie?s office argued that, on average, superintendent salaries have grown nearly 46 percent since 2001 ? well beyond the rate of inflation and more than overall education spending. The governor said it was unfair to make taxpayers who have lost jobs and homes pay for such growing paychecks. School boards say they must outbid each other to recruit good superintendents who have contracts of three-to-five years instead of tenure.

Brennan, who is retiring in June, said it would be hard to find a quality replacement under the new cap of $165,000 for his district of 1,750 children. "If you?re a principal, why would you give up tenure to take a superintendency for so little pay?" he asked.

Some superintendents have said they might move to avoid the cap. In New York, for example, many suburban superintendents earn more than Christie. School chiefs make $244,000 in Ardsley, $255,000 in Chappaqua and $215,000 in Cold Spring Harbor.

E-mail: brody@northjersey.com

The Christie administration is worried that school district chiefs will try to skirt a new salary cap by extending their old contracts.
RECORD FILE PHOTO
Buy this photo

Education Commissioner Bret Schundler told county superintendents to start imposing the cap on new contracts now rather than waiting until the new rules are formally in place.

Last week the governor announced that to curb "exorbitant" wages and save taxpayers? money, no district superintendents should make more than his own $175,000 salary, unless they work in the biggest cities or earn bonuses. Christie said the cap would take effect for superintendents when their individual contracts expired, and the Education Department specified that the cap would be imposed after three public hearings, perhaps as soon as December.

The proposal infuriated many school leaders, who said it would lead to an exodus of talent and called for more time for debate. The administration, however, has sped up the plan instead.

At a Wednesday meeting, county superintendents told the commissioner they had heard that some district leaders wanted to prolong their current contracts to avoid the looming caps, education spokesman Alan Guenther said Friday. He said the commissioner was concerned about that possibility and told county superintendents to prevent it by imposing the cap on any new contracts now. There is no plan to impose it on unexpired contracts.

"We announced the new cap to restore order and rationality to the pay scale for administrators," Guenther said. "County superintendents will exercise their authority to review contracts and to reject contracts that try to circumvent efforts to control spending."

Some educators and advocates were upset by the news and questioned the administration?s legal authority to change regulations before public input.

"To start it before you even adjusted the code to reflect the new policy seems inappropriate, confusing to folks and destabilizing for leadership," said Lynne Strickland, executive director of the Garden State Coalition of Schools. "There are some important technical questions ? but it?s getting rammed through."

"I don?t think you can make rules through a press conference," echoed Richard Bozza, executive director of the New Jersey Association of School Administrators. "Our position is there is no cap until the rules are in place" through the standard process, which includes public testimony.

Guenther, the Education Department spokesman, said he had no proof that any particular district chief was trying to game the system by extending a contract. He added that the cap would not be imposed on a contract that was negotiated recently and already in the final stages of review by a county superintendent.

According to Christie?s office, 70 percent of superintendents statewide earn more than the salary cap, which would save taxpayers $9.8 million yearly. The cap would limit superintendent pay by student enrollment; chiefs of districts with 250 children, for example, could not make a base salary exceeding $120,000. The plan also included options for annual merit bonuses worth up to 15 percent of pay.

Many superintendents were upset and demoralized by Christie?s plan, saying it undermined local control. They also noted the caps didn?t take into account a superintendent?s length of service or advanced degrees and didn?t apply to such highly paid public employees as police chiefs, university officials and the Rutgers University football coach.

The Christie administration "is making us feel like criminals and that?s not fair," said Terrance Brennan, Pompton Lakes school superintendent, who makes about $197,000 in his 37th year as an educator. "We?ve spent many dedicated years taking care of children. To be treated this way at the end of our careers is wrong. We didn?t create this situation."

Christie?s office argued that, on average, superintendent salaries have grown nearly 46 percent since 2001 ? well beyond the rate of inflation and more than overall education spending. The governor said it was unfair to make taxpayers who have lost jobs and homes pay for such growing paychecks. School boards say they must outbid each other to recruit good superintendents who have contracts of three-to-five years instead of tenure.

Brennan, who is retiring in June, said it would be hard to find a quality replacement under the new cap of $165,000 for his district of 1,750 children. "If you?re a principal, why would you give up tenure to take a superintendency for so little pay?" he asked.

Some superintendents have said they might move to avoid the cap. In New York, for example, many suburban superintendents earn more than Christie. School chiefs make $244,000 in Ardsley, $255,000 in Chappaqua and $215,000 in Cold Spring Harbor.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City ed board being told by state education commissioner it's not too late do nationwide search for new superintendent

Saturday, July 24, 2010

The state commissioner of education is personally calling Jersey City school board members to say it's not too late to conduct a nationwide superintendent search.

Commissioner Bret Schundler, of Jersey City, called Superintendent Charles Epps Thursday and informed him that he would be recommending such a search to board members.

Schundler said he was prompted to make the calls after more than 2,000 people led by Jersey City Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop sent petitions asking the state to review Epps' contract extension.

Schundler said it's a good practice to review a superintendent's performance and see how he or she compares with others. He said he's sending a letter to all board members in the state detailing why.

He said in Jersey City he will also tell the board it's not too late to do a search and that he can recommend top candidates from around the nation.

Epps, who was out of the district on vacation and reached through a spokesman, declined to comment on the issue.

At issue is a June 22 special board meeting at which Epps' contract was extended to June 30, 2013. His contract expires June 30, 2011. Board Vice President Sue Mack and member Sterling Waterman voted against the extension. Member Carol Lester abstained. The other six members supported it.

Board President William DeRosa and Mack said Schundler hadn't called them. DeRosa said he would reserve his comments for Schundler. Mack said she welcomed the commissioner's involvement. Member Sean Connors also said he did not get a call, but questioned what authority Schundler has over the board.

"I don't know legally what he can do," Connors said. "I think it's an opinion."

But member Angel Valentin said the state, which took control of the district over 20 years ago, still has oversight of personnel and must ultimately approve any contract the board awards.

Lester said she's happy to have some guidance.

Waterman, who threatened to file a complaint with the state alleging the special meeting violated public notice laws, said he felt vindicated by Schundler's involvement.

"It's not about Epps," Fulop said. "I think that a national search is the right thing to do for the city and for the schools."

The board is holding a special meeting Aug. 11 for a public hearing and vote on Epps' proposed contract, which is still being negotiated. The meeting is at 6 p.m. in the sixth-floor conference room of 346 Claremont Ave.

MELISSA HAYES

Posted on: 2010/7/24 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:
are you comparing apples to apples .....

what is the comparison of reduced and free lunch ratios or more critical compare rates of free lunch only qualifications. the schools both in and out of Jersey City that have a lower percentage of of reduced and free lunch students perform (testing) better.

while there are many factors that contribute/predict a child's success, the most significant is class; family income, parental education and health.

yes, it is time for a new superintendent, but that alone is only one step forward. there is much to do.

and a child can get a great education in our school system, especially those whose background mirror's that of the suburban districts. but our public school system must serve all and serve all well.

we are fortunate to live in a democracy, those that show up and participate have a say. it is time for those that have a lot to say, to show up and participate.

Dan, all I'm saying is that the problem isn't spending too much, it's getting too little. I'm sure you're not saying the school lunches mean much in the budget. Poverty and poor parenting isn't directly a school systems responsibility to battle, though they must do their best to counteract it's effects.

The enrichments I mentioned are just some of the ways to engage a portion of the students who would otherwise be lost. The job of inner city schools is to show that there's a real world beyond the hood, and the most practical way to get there is by education. I doubt there's easy answers, but a school administration that takes a generous budget and gives us bloat, failure and excuses is a good place to start.

We need to wake up our city, like the folks in the small, poor California town of Bell who woke up and found their city manager was making $800k. It only happens through apathy.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I agree wholeheartedly with all you say. Especially the last part that those who have much to say need to show up at a school board mtg. and preferably to speak on the record not just on jclist or other sites.

Quote:

DanL wrote:

what is the comparison of reduced and free lunch ratios or more critical compare rates of free lunch only qualifications. the schools both in and out of Jersey City that have a lower percentage of of reduced and free lunch students perform (testing) better.

while there are many factors that contribute/predict a child's success, the most significant is class; family income, parental education and health.

yes, it is time for a new superintendent, but that alone is only one step forward. there is much to do.

and a child can get a great education in our school system, especially those whose background mirror's that of the suburban districts. but our public school system must serve all and serve all well.

we are fortunate to live in a democracy, those that show up and participate have a say. it is time for those that have a lot to say, to show up and participate.

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Quote:

...tell people that

JC has 240,000 people and a budget of 500,000, 000

JC school system has 30,000 and a budget of 620,000,000

Watch their Jaws drop.From there its easy to explain how the Epps crew has been robbing us.

Actually, if you do the math, that's only $20.6k per student, common in the area suburbs. Unfortunately, they get a great education and superb sports, music and arts programs for that, while we get failure and a promise of a "new plan" after 10 years in office.
[/quote]

Posted on: 2010/7/24 4:26
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Quote:

...tell people that

Watch their Jaws drop.From there its easy to explain how the Epps crew has been robbing us.

Actually, if you do the math, that's only $20.6k per student, common in the area suburbs. Unfortunately, they get a great education and superb sports, music and arts programs for that, while we get failure and a promise of a "new plan" after 10 years in office.
[/quote]

Posted on: 2010/7/24 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
A friend of mine brought to my attention something easy to remember and astounding

Quote:
...tell people that

Posted on: 2010/7/23 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, there are ample links from both sites, including the NJ.com site. One link is mid-page and one is at the end of the story.

The NJ.com does have a drop-down menu by county, and the details of *each school* can be viewed from there. The page loads a bit sloppily when opening that submenu (gray box) but it does the job.

There's also this: http://www.nj.com/news/bythenumbers/

These sites all give us a sense of the problem, but nothing quite tells the story of the depth of institutional failure and incompetence.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
A friend of mine brought to my attention something easy to remember and astounding

Quote:
...tell people that

Posted on: 2010/7/23 20:28
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Some of the "passes" include those with "early warning" status. For instance, Brensinger #17 and Kennedy #9. That might be the basis for the difference in accounting.

Schools here:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... appSession=67770676794596

Per this state website ( http://www.nj.gov/education/title1/ac ... ility/ayp/0910/info.shtml ):

"A school that does not make AYP for one year is placed into 'early warning' status."

That site explains a lot more about it as well.

alanwright, the first link you give at nj.com, is an article on all failing schools statewide. While the summary info is informative it doesn't quantify any of our specific JC schools as to AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress). It does have a link to the NJ Education site for 2009 Assessment Reports (January 2010).

Your second link on the nj.gov/education site, "Title I School Improvement Information Sheet School Year 2009-2010" is more interesting definitions of the methodology and definitions of terms that NJ State uses in deciding where schools fall into their overall picture, but again neither specifies what JC Schools have specific failings as does my post and link. I think it worthwhile however, to read as many of these articles and links as possible to get an overall picture of our schools and the systemic failure present in the majority of them in all areas of accountability.

The school list I published here for every public school in JC as to their AYP ratings gives you a quick summary of where they stand and why we say the majority of public schools under Epps as Superintendent are consistently failing to meet minimum standards. This is why JC needs a nationwide search for the best qualified candidate for our children and not due to patronage and cronyism or worse fear, by teachers and board members.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 18:38
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Resized Image
http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/10/0722/2125/

Cap on Superintendent Salaries Could Be in Place Soon

Schundler tells county officials to start imposing new limits immediately

By John Mooney, July 23 in Education

Just a week after Gov. Chris Christie announced a plan to put new limits on school superintendent pay, the caps may be in place even sooner than most expected.

A spokesman for state Education Commissioner Bret Schundler confirmed yesterday that Schundler told his top county officials this week that they should begin to impose the new limits immediately.

Some discretion would be provided for those new contracts already in the pipeline, said spokesman Alan Guenther, but the aim is to prevent any superintendents from trying to extend existing deals or negotiate new ones before the new limits are formally put in place.

?New contracts will be subjected to the new caps,? Guenther said. ?The commissioner will not permit a last-minute wave of negotiations aimed at circumventing these new caps.?

As news spread of the edict, expected to be a formal memo released in the next few days, Schundler may already have a challenge on his hands.

The head of the state?s superintendents association last night questioned whether Schundler has such authority, saying the law requires the new rules to be still subject to public review.

?If that is indeed the case, we have a great concern that the regulations proposed would be superseding those now in place,? said Richard Bozza, executive director of the New Jersey Association of School Administrators.

Bozza said the specific guidelines have yet to even be published, let alone enacted, and he pointed to Schundler?s own press release last week that said there would be three public hearings before adoption in December.

?We understand the Governor and the commissioner have an incredible amount of authority, but that doesn?t excuse them from abiding by the law,? he said.

Christie and Schundler rocked the education establishment last week when they announced some of the nation?s toughest restrictions on pay for school superintendents, setting limits up to $175,000 -- the same as the governor?s own salary -- depending on the size of the district.

Superintendent salaries now average about $163,000, but go well over $200,000 in scores of districts, large and small, according to state data. By the state?s own accounting, the new limits could effectively lead to pay cuts for 70 percent of school chiefs once their existing contracts are up.

In northern New Jersey counties like Bergen, Essex and Union, virtually every superintendent would take a pay cut.

That superintendents will try to get under the wire is what has Schundler?s office worried, although Guenther said there were no specific cases as yet to cite.

And he stressed that contracts already under negotiation would be given some leeway, especially those of new hires in which the state?s county superintendents were already involved.

?It will somewhat depend on where they are in the process,? Guenther said. ?Those negotiations under way will be honored.?

But he said the commissioner does have the authority to move ahead on pressing the limits for those new deals or extensions just now coming in, even as the guidelines themselves are yet to be fully developed.

The regulations "are all being created, but the county superintendents already have the authority to review and approve contracts,? he said.

But Bozza said that authority is under previous regulations in place and codified, not ones yet seen.

And already in court over those previous restrictions enacted by former Gov. Jon Corzine, Bozza last night said a legal challenge would come this time, too, with the first local superintendent denied a fair review of his or her under existing rules.

?That would be the basis for us to file suit against the county superintendent,? he said.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 18:22
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Some of the "passes" include those with "early warning" status. For instance, Brensinger #17 and Kennedy #9. That might be the basis for the difference in accounting.

Schools here:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... appSession=67770676794596

Per this state website ( http://www.nj.gov/education/title1/ac ... ility/ayp/0910/info.shtml ):

"A school that does not make AYP for one year is placed into 'early warning' status."

That site explains a lot more about it as well.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Department of Education
Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) Status Under NCLB Accountability Requirements : 08-09

http://www.state.nj.us/education/titl ... bility/ayp/0910/profiles/

Made AYP Benchmark Target

DR RONALD MC NAIR ACAD HS LAL YES MATH YES
RAFAEL DE J CORDERO NO 37 (ELEMENTARY) LAL YES MATH YES
JOSEPH H BRENSINGER 17 (MIDDLE0 LAL YES MATH YES
RAFAEL DE J CORDERO NO 37 (MIDDLE) LAL YES MATH YES
DR CHARLES P DEFUCCIO 39 (MIDDLE) LAL YES MATH YES
CORNELIA F BRADFORD 16 (MIDDLE) LAL YES MATH YES
LIBERTY HIGH SCHOOL LAL YES MATH YES
NICOLAS COPERNICUS NUM 25 LAL YES MATH YES
NUMBER 5 (MIDDLE) LAL YES MATH YES
NUMBER 5 (ELEMENTARY) LAL YES MATH YES
THE ACADEMY I LAL YES MATH YES
NUMBER 28 (MIDDLE) LAL YES MATH YES
KENNEDY NUMBER 9 LAL YES MATH YES

Did Not Make AYP Benchmark Target

HENRY SNYDER LAL NO MATH NO
JAMES J FERRIS LAL NO MATH NO
LINCOLN LAL NO MATH NO
WILLIAM L DICKINSON LAL NO MATH NO
FRANK R CONWELL #3 LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 4 MIDDLE SCH LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 8 LAL NO MATH YES
MARTIN L KING JR #11(MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH YES
MARTIN L KING JR #11 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES
JULIA A BARNES #12 (MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH NO
JULIA A BARNES #12 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH NO
HEIGHTS MIDDLE SCHOOL LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 14 LAL NO MATH NO
WHITNEY M YOUNG LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 20 LAL NO MATH YES
NUMBER 22 LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 23 (MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 23 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES
NUMBER 24 (MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 24 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH NO
ALFRED E ZAMPELLA NO 27 (MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH NO
ALFRED E ZAMPELLA NO 27 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES
NUMBER 28 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES
NUMBER 29 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES
NUMBER 33 LAL NO MATH YES
NUMBER 34 (MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH NO
NUMBER 34 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH NO
ALEXANDER D SULLIVAN 30 LAL NO MATH NO
DR CHARLES P DEFUCCIO 39 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH NO
CORNELIA F BRADFORD 16 (ELEMENTARY0 LAL NO MATH YES
EZRA L NOLAN 40 LAL NO MATH NO
FRED W MARTIN #41 LAL NO MATH NO
JAMES F MURRAY 38 (MIDDLE) LAL NO MATH NO
JAMES F MURRAY 38 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH NO
JOSEPH H BRENSINGER 17 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES
JOTHAM W WAKEMAN 6 (ELEMENTARY) LAL NO MATH YES

Quote:

mememo wrote:
Can someone provide me the link listing the 35/40 failing schools?

I checked the NJ Dept of ED with different data. For 2009-2010, 10 JC schools made AYP.

[l]HUDSON JERSEY CITY DR RONALD MC NAIR ACAD HS YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY FRANK R CONWELL #3 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY JOSEPH H BRENSINGER 17 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY KENNEDY NUMBER 9 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY LIBERTY HIGH SCHOOL YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NICOLAS COPERNICUS NUM 25 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NUMBER 20 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NUMBER 5 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NUMBER 8 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY RAFAEL DE J CORDERO NO 37 YES[/l]

Thanks TIA.

[quote]
Ms_Taggart wrote:

Here are the facts:
Superintendent Epps? current contract is worth over $250,000 in salary and housing allowance. The current contract includes NO benchmarks, NO performance standards and NO specific reporting requirements. 35 out of 40 Jersey City schools are on the state\'s list of failing schools-- 14 of them for the third year

Posted on: 2010/7/23 3:50
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/22 18:06
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone provide me the link listing the 35/40 failing schools?

I checked the NJ Dept of ED with different data. For 2009-2010, 10 JC schools made AYP.

HUDSON JERSEY CITY DR RONALD MC NAIR ACAD HS YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY FRANK R CONWELL #3 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY JOSEPH H BRENSINGER 17 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY KENNEDY NUMBER 9 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY LIBERTY HIGH SCHOOL YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NICOLAS COPERNICUS NUM 25 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NUMBER 20 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NUMBER 5 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY NUMBER 8 YES
HUDSON JERSEY CITY RAFAEL DE J CORDERO NO 37 YES

Thanks TIA.

[quote]
Ms_Taggart wrote:

Here are the facts:
Superintendent Epps? current contract is worth over $250,000 in salary and housing allowance. The current contract includes NO benchmarks, NO performance standards and NO specific reporting requirements. 35 out of 40 Jersey City schools are on the state's list of failing schools-- 14 of them for the third year

Posted on: 2010/7/22 18:26

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017