Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: parking permit/notice for moving truck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say trucks have doubled parked loading and unloading on my section of jfk and no1 bothered to move them..

As long as the JCPA or PD sees you moving stuff out of the truck they wont bother you.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, I gotta say: Just put it in park and hit the blinkers. Nobody cares. It's a Jersey City thing.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

leigh13 wrote:
Quote:

newtoHP wrote:
so, they provide the no parking signs for $10 each (min of 2) and then you just put them up on your own. that simple...

Speaking from my own experience, a few things to note:

If you are moving on a weekend, try to have the signs posted by Friday morning or even Thursday afternoon. Many people don't use their cars at all over the weekend and won't see the sign if you put it up after they've parked.

The JCPA warned me not to post the signs TOO much in advance, because supposedly vandals might tear them down. However, from what I've seen those signs tend to stay up for weeks past the appropriate date, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you have a car, try to park it in the spot where the moving truck will come so you can "reserve" at least part of the space. Because even after you've posted the NO PARKING signs days in advance, someone WILL be parked in the spot you specified. At that point, hopefully the moving truck isn't there waiting with no place to park.

When I moved and there were cars parked in front of the signs, the police were very helpful in looking up the owners and then ringing the doorbells to ask them to move. But you can't guarantee they'll be home, and if you're paying movers by the hour you don't want to have to wait around for a tow truck to clear the space.

Good luck with the move!

I second the advice to park your own car or enlist neighbors to help you reserve the space (on top of posting the JCPA signs). People really aren't very careful about reading the signs. When we moved from 6th to 1st, we checked the spots the night before and they were empty but in the morning there were cars parked in the spots we'd reserved on both ends - which added about an hour (1/2 hour on each end ringing doorbells, calling the cops, etc.) to an already long moving day.

Also, don't forget to take the signs down when you're done! No one else will do it for you. I think people might pay more attention to them if there weren't so many old ones hanging around...

Good luck with your move!

Posted on: 2010/7/26 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtoHP wrote:
so, they provide the no parking signs for $10 each (min of 2) and then you just put them up on your own. that simple...

Speaking from my own experience, a few things to note:

If you are moving on a weekend, try to have the signs posted by Friday morning or even Thursday afternoon. Many people don't use their cars at all over the weekend and won't see the sign if you put it up after they've parked.

The JCPA warned me not to post the signs TOO much in advance, because supposedly vandals might tear them down. However, from what I've seen those signs tend to stay up for weeks past the appropriate date, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you have a car, try to park it in the spot where the moving truck will come so you can "reserve" at least part of the space. Because even after you've posted the NO PARKING signs days in advance, someone WILL be parked in the spot you specified. At that point, hopefully the moving truck isn't there waiting with no place to park.

When I moved and there were cars parked in front of the signs, the police were very helpful in looking up the owners and then ringing the doorbells to ask them to move. But you can't guarantee they'll be home, and if you're paying movers by the hour you don't want to have to wait around for a tow truck to clear the space.

Good luck with the move!

Posted on: 2010/7/26 18:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/2 10:50
Group:
Registered Users
thanks all.

i followed the linke posted by 'poyc' and called the number which directed me to the parking authority

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Who are you getting to move you ? Unless you want to reserve the spot before the truck gets there it shouldn't take more than 2 hours to load the truck or un load it, from house to truck or vice-versa. Try to arrange your moving day when the sweeper comes by so there will be more spots open. I used Catlow up in the Heights.
Catlow Movers
704 Summit Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306-2505
(201) 653-1808

Posted on: 2010/7/26 14:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/8 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
When I moved, the moving company offered to get the permits for us. Check with them to see if they can get them, then you can post them yourself.

If not, then you'll need to go to the Parking Authority and purchase them. You'll need to post 24 hours prior to moving.

http://www.jcparking.org/signsandmeterbags.htm

Good luck with your move!

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:53

parking permit/notice for moving truck
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/2 10:50
Group:
Registered Users
hi

hoping someone can help me out...

i am moving shortly and have contracted a moving company to pack and move my belongings. they will need to park on the street to take the items out of the house and onto their truck. how does one go about getting a permit for them for the day? is it through the parking authority? will the parking authority also put up those white signs that say no parking between x and y?

thanks

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017