Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: The Entire Board of Liberty Humane Society Just Resigned...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank You Robin

Mary Ann

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

Sadly I do not feel good I reached a breaking point and had to post that. It was out of total disgust. Enough with the toxic behavior, ego's, name-calling, hidden agendas, axes to grind, sensationalism, false rumors, mellow-dramatics that only really hurt the situation. All they are doing is pushing people who have no dog in this fight away. If I was someone who was not part of the mix and read this call for help I would run in the other direction staying far, far away from all of this and the "advocates" involved. Just something to think about, people.

Possibly the 4 legged critters can teach the 2 legged ones how to behave, forgiveness and kindness.

The End~

Posted on: 2010/7/24 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
this is sad. I'd just like to remind my friends here that the best we can do at this point is stay true to our own standards of how we conduct ourselves and not be dragged into anymore BS.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 20:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/9 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote:
Sadly I do not feel good I reached a breaking point and had to post that. It was out of total disgust. Enough with the toxic behavior, ego's, name-calling, hidden agendas, axes to grind, sensationalism, false rumors, mellow-dramatics that only really hurt the situation. All they are doing is pushing people who have no dog in this fight away. If I was someone who was not part of the mix and read this call for help I would run in the other direction staying far, far away from all of this and the "advocates" involved. Just something to think about, people. Possibly the 4 legged critters can teach the 2 legged ones how to behave, forgiveness and kindness.

Point taken. I probably should have let my clarification of the reasons for the statement stand as my last word and left it at that, instead of rising to the bait.

To anyone who has been reading this who would consider taking an animal, please don't let our back-and-forth stop you. There are wonderful people at LHS willing to help you, and wonderful animals who would love to meet you. I promise they will behave better than most of us have.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JohnHanu wrote:
GO PINKY!!

Sadly I do not feel good I reached a breaking point and had to post that. It was out of total disgust. Enough with the toxic behavior, ego's, name-calling, hidden agendas, axes to grind, sensationalism, false rumors, mellow-dramatics that only really hurt the situation. All they are doing is pushing people who have no dog in this fight away. If I was someone who was not part of the mix and read this call for help I would run in the other direction staying far, far away from all of this and the "advocates" involved. Just something to think about, people.

Possibly the 4 legged critters can teach the 2 legged ones how to behave, forgiveness and kindness.

The End~

Posted on: 2010/7/24 14:47

Re: Statement from Hudson Animal Advocates on situation at Liberty Humane Society
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JCNewJersey Says:
Quote:
It is widely known in animal welfare that HAA is shell corp that is doing nothing but inflame. It has a board member that left LHS a year ago in disgrace with a record of killing 2000 animals while employed there. Now that board member wants to look like a hero and a no kill advocate. Give us a break. Animal welfare people think HAA is a joke and does more damage than good. Even the lawyer representing HAA in the hcspca case feels that way. Just ask her.

First to Robin's point. I thought it was clear who I was, but I agree with her about putting one's names on things. My name is David Norman and I am the President of Hudson Animal Advocates.

I have no idea who JCNewJersey is, but I find it interesting that their wording is almost identical to Catwoman's.

HAA is three animal advocates whom have incorporated for the purposes of being able to do business as an advocacy group. It was created with the cooperation of the former volunteers of the HCDSPCA so that the HCDSPCA could be sued without attacking an individual. It is certainly not a shell corp in that we operate out of our own pockets, with a budget of $0.

The HAA Board Member you are speaking of did not leave LHS in disgrace. She resigned for her own reasons, of which it is certainly not my place to discuss. However, she is still highly respected in the Animal Welfare world, and is in fact employed by the national ASPCA, hardly a group known to be shoddy on their research or hire an 'animal killer'.

That same person has, as part of HAA, been leading the effort to get animals into rescue groups and foster homes so as to bring the numbers down to a level where the animals are not living in squalor. Squalor which, by the way, only started after she left. In the last week we have rescued 11 animals, with 5 more in the pipeline should they come off hold. How many have you found a home for in the last week JCNewJersey?

As for the lawyer in the HCDSPCA case who supposedly thinks we are a joke I say absolutely, go right ahead and ask her. Her name is Diana Jeffrey and she is one of the members of the LHS interim Board and the person with whom we are coordinating both the aforementioned rescue efforts and efforts to diversify their funder portfolio.

All three of us are also animal owners and animal lovers. That is the reason we do this. Anyone who makes statements accusing us of being in this for the "glory" or to "look like a hero" is not only wrong about us, but clearly a little self-delusional as well. There is no glory or heroism in this work. There is the pain of watching animals that are suffering and the hatred aimed at you by anyone who would do things a different way. There are the personal attacks on spaces like this regardless of what you do. There are no newspaper headlines with your name, or riches or political appointments to be procured.

And finally, when you define the Animal Welfare Community as only those who agree with you, and these same people see anyone who disagrees with them as 'a joke' to be vilified in public with lies rather than another voice to be heard from and considered, you don't do anything to help animals, you just push away people who might help by taking an animal to an adoption day event or fostering an animal until it finds a forever home with your ugliness. If you really are all about animal welfare you would not attack the person who is getting the most animals out. I wonder who is really more interested in this non-existent glory and hero-worship?

Posted on: 2010/7/24 14:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All NFPs are required to file a form 990 with the IRS detailing their finances every year. These are public records. While sometimes lagging in getting it all uploaded, guidestar.org has these available to review on their site.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
phDog wrote: making any assumptions about shelter finances without knowing the history is flawed.

I agree completely. In that vein does ANYONE know how much LHS takes in annually ($money, not animals) and how much is paid out in salaries?

Xerxes, you ask good questions and all non-profits that have salaried employees should operate under full disclosure when it comes to salaries, daily expenditures etc. The sad part of this whole thing that it seems some have lost total perspective. LHS is a business that deals with living things. It's not an easy task. Without a proper business plan the problems will not self correct.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
phDog wrote: making any assumptions about shelter finances without knowing the history is flawed.

I agree completely. In that vein does ANYONE know how much LHS takes in annually ($money, not animals) and how much is paid out in salaries?

Posted on: 2010/7/24 12:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/10 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
JCNewJersey

I have been involved with the animal welfare community for quite some time now. This is the first I am hearing of that. Sounds more like you're jealous of the publicity due to your own insecurities.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 12:48

Re: Statement from Hudson Animal Advocates on situation at Liberty Humane Society
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is what the real joke is and I'm so ashamed to say I know some of you. Advocates?? More like a bunch of self centered, evil, childish, petty, brat. Grow up. people and get a life. Do you all realize how foolish you all sound?

Side-note:
For those of you that are front line and center giving statements, history etc. under real names. I respect the fact you have the decency to stand behind what you post with full transparency.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 12:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
It is widely known in animal welfare that HAA is shell corp that is doing nothing but inflame. It has a board member that left LHS a year ago in disgrace with a record of killing 2000 animals while employed there. Now that board member wants to look like a hero and a no kill advocate. Give us a break. Animal welfare people think HAA is a joke and does more damage than good. Even the lawyer representing HAA in the hcspca case feels that way. Just ask her.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 12:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/7 5:19
Group:
Registered Users
The real problem started back in 2004/2005 when LHS took over the facility. Instead of them extending out from the back entrance of the building to create about 100 indoor/outdoor runs, someone at the facility decided that it would be much better to create about 10 outdoor dog pens. That was foolish and inexperience thing to do at the time especially when you have the space you could have easily expand the capacity of the facility years ago saving a lot of dogs life. Too bad that no one took my suggestion years ago, but anyway, here I am again suggesting that LHS should just knock down those worthless set of outdoor runs and extend out with 100 indoor/outdoor runs just like the old spca on Johnston Avenue; use the old spca structure as a blue print for LHS indoor/outdoor runs. This way everyone could work happily together with more room to work with, the animals don?t have to be killed because it gives LHS more time to place them, plus it makes it much easier to upkeep facility since there will be less dogs in cages, in general it will be much easier for everyone even for the animals. If everyone pulls together it could be done; do it for the animals. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 2:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JCNewJersey - That "fed up" Development Director only raised $8,000 in the first half of 2010. $6,000 of that came in the form of a grant from her sister's foundation, which was rescinded when the Development Director resigned. How is that not financial malfeasance?

And before everyone jumps on me and asks me how I know that, it is because she told me herself. I still have the emails.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 2:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
alanwright wrote:
Quote:
Squelching rumors may well be one of your motives for posting. However, you give the impression you arrived here to spread an agenda based on information gleaned from "meeting and/or talking with staff." At the moment, that agenda is not apparent to me as I have no connection to the animal-rights or pet-care community. Others have deciphered an agenda from your words and the membership of your executive board. The Webmaster properly deleted it all. In any case, it seems one means of advancing your alleged agenda includes a systematic besmirching of the most recent leader of the Liberty Humane Society. But, knowing a direct assault would too obvious, you've couched your criticism with soothing words of "truth" to conquer un-sourced rumors. Seeing as Ms. Hopkinson has been removed from her position, your effort is wholly unnecessary. You've also tried to inform the world of your close ties and working relationship with the interim board of the Liberty Humane Society. So, I offer you this opportunity to respond honestly before less scrupulous people on this board attempt to eviscerate your posting and destroy your credibility. Why are you really here?

Hudson Animal Advocates agenda is simple. Make sure that LHS stays open and is operated humanely. That is why we are in contact with the interim Board every day, That is why one of our Board Members, on top of her full time job with the ASPCA is leading the current rescue adoption drive, and that is why another Board member with almost two decades of experience in professional fund raising for NFPs is working to make sure that no grants deadlines are missed during this period of transition in addition to her full time Job.

Ms. Hopkinson was among the many people we spoke with in the two weeks that it took to prepare that document. Others included Janet Russell, the ex- Development Director and John O'Keefe, the ex-Board President.

If it appears that we were taking the previous Board's side over that of the ex-Executive Director, I apologize. The Board's behavior in the last few days leading up to and including their mass resignation was appaling and cowardly.

If you want to become familiar with the sources of these rumors all you have to do is ask anyone at the Board meeting what people were saying afterwards, look at the footage from the interviews Channel 12 did, or read any of the animal boards popular in JC. Those are the sources. Our hope in providing this Statement was to allow everyone to argue for what they do or do not want to see the shelter become based on facts, not innuendo.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 1:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Catwoman says:
Quote:
First of all the HCSPCA was closed with the help of the volunteers and JC animal control. David Norman was not a single factor in the closing of the HCSPCA. In addition the new nomiated president Diana Jeffrey sidelined the volunteers during the HSPCA court proceedings where she had her husband represent past employees as new members but did not share this information with the volunteers when they had expressed that they wanted to run and operate the facility. David Norman was aware of this but kept it from the volunteers. His hidden agenda to constantly glorify himself and those he deems part of his circle is tiresome and yes most of us in the animal community think he is a joke.

Catwoman is fully aware that everything she has said here is a lie, but that is hardly new for her.

The case that closed the shelter, if anyone cares to look at the Court Docket, is "Hudson Animal Advocates Vs. HCDSPCA." What's more, Catwoman was PRESENT when I learned that the member's lawyer was Ms. Jeffrey's husband at THE SAME TIME as her, so how exactly I would have kept it from her I do not know. In fact Catwoman was a founding Board Member of HAA and was a Board Member when we brought the suit. She left the Board because the Board agreed that HAA should take no position on what individual or organization should run the shelter but instead lay out what we believed to be the qualifications. This policy of not taking the sides of individuals, but rather taking policy positions and fighting to see them come to fruition, remains at the core of what HAA does today.

The volunteers provided the information that got HCDSPCA shut down, and NONE of the work HAA did could have happened without them. They are the heroes in that case, not HAA. I have never sought "glory" for myself. The people running HCDSPCA were dangerous and it was brave of the volunteers to step forward. As for the volunteers wanting to take over and run the shelter, I continuously, at EVERY HAA meeting, to which they were all invited and attended, urged them to put together a business plan and form an organization so they could apply for it. They never did so. I have no way of knowing if they could have become the receiver because they never actually applied for it.

Diana Jeffrey is part of the interim Board, she has no plans to stay on the Board, let alone be President.

I do not keep secrets. I think secrets are poison. The previous Board keeping secrets from the ED and the ED keeping secrets from the previous Board is what set off this whole mess. The whole point of HAA's statement is to try to get everything out in the open so people can act based on real information.

Posted on: 2010/7/24 1:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Major donor to Jersey City animal shelter's operator is weighing continued support if it abandons unofficial "no kill" policy

Friday, July 23, 2010
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Following the abrupt firing of Liberty Humane Society's executive director, a major donor said Wednesday she wasn't sure she would continue to fund the Jersey City animal shelter if it moves away from a "no-kill" policy.

"I would be very wary of putting money toward a facility that's not moving towards 'no-kill,'" said Wendy Neu, who with her husband John donates "several hundred thousand dollars" to the shelter each year.

But Neu added: "It's something that's very close to our hearts and we want to see it be a success. It's not an easy decision."

The shelter has a budget of roughly $1 million a year, said Diana Jeffrey, a past board president who is serving as an interim board member.

The interim board fired Joanna Hopkinson as director of the shelter Tuesday night.

The action came nearly a week after the former five-member board resigned, claiming Hopkinson's "no-kill" policy was leading the shelter into bankruptcy and causing severe overcrowding at the shelter, points the interim board agreed with.

Hopkinson's salary - which is "in the 70s," according to interim board members - is paid from a dedicated grant from the Neus.

Hopkinson did not return phone calls for comment.

Jeffrey said yesterday Hopkinson was fired because the shelter needs to start over. "There's so much bad blood and there's so much negativity, we need to start fresh," she said.

Asked if the shelter would risk not receiving funding from the Neus by moving away from Hopkinson's "no-kill" policy, Jeffrey said the shelter isn't in the financial position to forego the option of euthanizing animals that aren't adopted.

"We're going to have a hard look at what we can reasonably do based on our resources," Jeffrey said. "If the community wants it to be a 'no-kill' shelter then they have to step up and give us the resources to support that."

?2010 Jersey Journal
? 2010 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 14:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
+ Like

Shelter reform is a huge task. LHS a year ago was deceiving the public and its volunteers by saying they never killed an animal for space. Shelter managment at that time was doing it secretly. It was a "don't ask, dont't tell" situation.

Well that management and board were kicked out a year ago. New board and mgt installed. Though the new board and mgt succeeded in achieving a balanced budget it became apparent that the board was not really animal friendly and did not share the lifesaving vision of mgt.

Mgt put all efforts into lifesaving while the board refused to fundraise and add members to the board.

How can a board president assume presidency and declare he will not be raising money for the organization? How can a 5 member board after one year not be adding any new members that will bring donors to the organization.

In the end the board created a hostile working environment based on personal feelings and dummied up mismanagement charges.

And why did a fed up development director resign?

After an audit of the finances, no mismanagement has been discovered.

The public resignation of the board and the firing of the ED has done more harm to LHS than anything any mgt could have done.

That donor that the board so much did not want in the picture is pulling its funding. LHS is on its own.

Thank you to both previous and interim boards.

Quote:

"Squelching rumors may well be one of your motives for posting. However, you give the impression you arrived here to spread an agenda based on information gleaned from "meeting and/or talking with staff."

At the moment, that agenda is not apparent to me as I have no connection to the animal-rights or pet-care community. Others have deciphered an agenda from your words and the membership of your executive board. The Webmaster properly deleted it all.

In any case, it seems one means of advancing your alleged agenda includes a systematic besmirching of the most recent leader of the Liberty Humane Society. But, knowing a direct assault would too obvious, you've couched your criticism with soothing words of "truth" to conquer un-sourced rumors.

Seeing as Ms. Hopkinson has been removed from her position, your effort is wholly unnecessary.

You've also tried to inform the world of your close ties and working relationship with the interim board of the Liberty Humane Society.

So, I offer you this opportunity to respond honestly before less scrupulous people on this board attempt to eviscerate your posting and destroy your credibility.

Why are you really here?"

Posted on: 2010/7/23 12:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fauxboken wrote:
Well what's more irresponsible? John Neu's alleged ultimatum about the boss, or the Board's walk-out. I think it's pretty clear the board was selfish and irresponsible to do that. If we can't get a goddamn non-profit humane society Board, a Board of Education, or the City Council to take their heads out of each others asses is this town... well we should all give up.

Next thing we'll see the Library, the Friends of Liberty State, and the Freemasons all back-stabbing each other! Am I wrong or are these and some of the parks organizations a bit loony as well? Or was it that we had two Hamilton Park associations and two Newport Associations? Christ.

Woah. I'm picturing a great pre-apocalyptic scene! Cue up that track of Bill Murrah from Ghostbusters. Dog and cats, living together... mass hysteria! When there's something strange... in your neighborhood... who ya gonna call... turd busters!

yes I just quoted myself! well referin to it anyway

ok! maybe i was wrong about the Board being more irresponsible than john neu... or joanna hopkinson (j-hop?)... but this entire county's humane society culture needs a real turd-busting.

jc animal control are bums who dump kittens at the park... the Exec Dirs are unable to lead... the treasurers are unable to mak an accounting... the donors won't take their hands off the wheel... and now the HAA thinks they're part of the solution?

hmmmm... these folks have to get it together before all of their funds dry up or the state takes over. i just can't goddamned believe our humane society is an abbott district.

p.s. the poster above was right. go to the source of these pitbulls with free spaying and neutering in the rest of the city. too much supply... insufficient demand!

Posted on: 2010/7/22 16:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
True.

It is only an assumption on my part about the finances, and I hope I am wrong.

But it irked me some when I saw the call for help (in regards to the dryer) on facebook. But this is due to my own experience in running membership organizations and philanthropies...

Posted on: 2010/7/22 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the quandry that is LHS's financial history is too difficult to understand by simply reading a couple threads on JCList. the first part of your post was a well stated opinion. stick with that.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 14:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I do not believe so in this case.

If they were asking the public for donations for critical equipment that tells me that they exhausted all other avenues of revenue to get this equipment. And if not, why would you tell the public that you are missing critical equipment and that they need their help in replacing it. Seems counter productive to me, especially after the whole board just resigned.

Granted this is an assumption, but I will bet it is 95% right on.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
making any assumptions about shelter finances without knowing the history is flawed.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 14:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Do people really think they can save all the animals? Unfortunately, shelters do not have unlimited space, unlimited funds, or a clientele that is willing to take in 3+ animals a piece. Decisions need to be made, and yes, these decisions are not always popular among 'animal lovers'.

Seems to me that the last Director (one recently fired) ran the shelter into the ground. How do I know this? Simple, there should be no reason for a donation drive for a new dryer! This is critical equipment for the shelter, equipment that directly affects the health of the animals... This 'emergency drive' tells me that management at the shelter was fiscally short-sighted (most likely due to the increase in animal care costs)..

Posted on: 2010/7/22 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Before the July 14th meeting and abrupt resignation of the LHS Board, most of us involved to some degree or another in helping LHS knew that ever increasing population of animals at the shelter was becoming critical. Suggestions, events, email blasts, and networking have saved countless animals. Moreover, the efforts by the former executive director and management have been noteworthy and like many organizations charged with caring for defenseless animals, not all efforts succeed. Criticisms have included ?ineptness? or ?na?vet?? though new ideas often come from those who have experience outside of the animal field. New eyes and action for the sake of doing something that seems constructive do have advantages to a certain degree.

I am fond of professionals on both sides of LHS? plight. I just cannot understand why there are ?two sides? when the one significant issue is saving lives. Likewise, to those on the periphery of LHS? crisis, it seems that motives, not connected to the enhancement, development, and success of LHS, are at the core of the disputes that have arisen. When ?two sides? emerge from any dispute, an ?us and them? approach to challenges results in a narrow approach to difficulties. The fact is that both sides have valid methods to solving some of LHS? problems, but it would be easier to get the leaders of the Klan and the Crips together for a group hug.

That there is a looming presence in terms of funding and influence does not address the fundamental issue that there are too many animals coming into the shelter. Every event, foster, transfer, or even death does not diminish the numbers coming into the shelter. When the argument is made the LHS is ?warehousing? animals and ?humane? death is better, what will be done in three months when the population reaches the numbers that LHS has now?

Charging the new management with a directive that may only be achieved with occasional euthanasia affects those who work there and those on the rescue side. It is disheartening to look into the eyes of former pets that want nothing more than safety and affection and knowing that some will die. On the other hand, when the argument is made that shelters can achieve a ?no kill? status, what is done in the present as animals are stacked in common areas because there is no room in the shelter? How can two sides with valid points reconcile their differences and achieve lower numbers in the shelter without killing or without begging rescues and individuals to take animals into their overcrowded homes or facilities?

Although I am fond of persons and organizations in ?both camps,? I cannot help but think that the fundamental problem of overpopulation is the city?s fault and to a lesser degree, both camps. As efforts are underway to diminish the feral cat problem, puppies are being whelped in cardboard boxes in hundreds of basements, yards, and spare rooms. Many will be sold for fifty to a hundred dollars and some will be given away to a family ill-prepared to raise a well-adjusted pet. In a year?s time, many of those pups and kittens being born today will be at the shelter. Some will be raising young in cardboard boxes in a year?s time. Even a local pet professional that works in a well known pet store raises pit bulls that he claims are superior. Over the years, he has sold hundreds of them in the same way that he sells dog biscuits. His network of backyard breeders operates in the open without any kind of regulation or accountability.

It is no secret or surprise that the vast majority of dogs at LHS are pit bulls and bully mixes. If there is a statistical map made of where most of LHS? dogs originated as strays or surrendered animals, most will have come from areas of the city plagued by other problems. Events in the Downtown or Heights sections of Jersey City make for good PR, but a spay/neuter event on Ocean, Westside, or Pacific Avenues every other weekend for a month may have more tangible results.

LHS and many other shelters exist to a certain extent to compensate for the irresponsible behavior of the city?s residents. Devise a plan to target the sources of unwanted animals and maybe our shelter will be able to maintain lower numbers, achieve its goal as a ?no kill? facility, and perhaps operate within its budget. If not, animal activists, former and current shelter personnel, volunteers, and others will be demanding ?change? and a ?fresh start? in 2011.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
HAAMember wrote: Liberty Humane Society has been through dramatic changes within the last year. Starting six months ago, H.A.A. has been meeting and/or talking with staff, volunteers, management and the Board at LHS as well as City Government to review LHS?s predicament and see how we could best help. We are sharing what we have learned here in order to squelch rumors.
Squelching rumors may well be one of your motives for posting. However, you give the impression you arrived here to spread an agenda based on information gleaned from "meeting and/or talking with staff." At the moment, that agenda is not apparent to me as I have no connection to the animal-rights or pet-care community. Others have deciphered an agenda from your words and the membership of your executive board. The Webmaster properly deleted it all. In any case, it seems one means of advancing your alleged agenda includes a systematic besmirching of the most recent leader of the Liberty Humane Society. But, knowing a direct assault would too obvious, you've couched your criticism with soothing words of "truth" to conquer un-sourced rumors. Seeing as Ms. Hopkinson has been removed from her position, your effort is wholly unnecessary. You've also tried to inform the world of your close ties and working relationship with the interim board of the Liberty Humane Society. So, I offer you this opportunity to respond honestly before less scrupulous people on this board attempt to eviscerate your posting and destroy your credibility. Why are you really here?

Posted on: 2010/7/22 2:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 17:30
Group:
Registered Users
First of all the HCSPCA was closed with the help of the volunteers and JC animal control. David Norman was not a single factor in the closing of the HCSPCA. In addition the new nomiated president Diana Jeffrey sidelined the volunteers during the HSPCA court proceedings where she had her husband represent past employees as new members but did not share this information with the volunteers when they had expressed that they wanted to run and operate the facility. David Norman was aware of this but kept it from the volunteers. His hidden agenda to constantly glorify himself and those he deems part of his circle is tiresome and yes most of us in the animal community think he is a joke.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 1:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I for one applaud what this interim board did.

They assessed the situation and made a tough choice in a tough situation; a situation not of their own making.

I do feel that the old board members should be taken to task over their allowing the situation to get this desperate. But most especially over their not knowing NJ laws regarding non-profits and putting the shelter at risk legally.

I wish this interim board the best of luck in turning this ugly situation around.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wonderful. Glad to get a statement from HAA. lets move on..

Posted on: 2010/7/21 20:35

Statement from Hudson Animal Advocates on situation at Liberty Humane Society
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
**OK TO CROSSPOST**

Dear JCList-ers -

Liberty Humane Society has been through dramatic changes within the last year. Starting six months ago, H.A.A. has been meeting and/or talking with staff, volunteers, management and the Board at LHS as well as City Government to review LHS?s predicament and see how we could best help.

We are sharing what we have learned here in order to squelch rumors. HAA does not take a stand as to whether LHS should or should not be a No Kill Shelter, though we do address the capabilities required to do so if that is the decision.

The following is what we know to be true. If you know of any verifiable information that we missed, please contact us. We also urge everyone to remember that animal organizations are run by humans. We ask that everyone please judge the validity of any statements made to them about the situation at LHS. Regardless of who makes them, verify the answers, as there are a lot of rumors going around which will impede you from figuring out the best way you can help.

Rumor: The previous Board planned to euthanize all dogs over the count of 40 in 120 days if Shelter Staff and Volunteers had not gotten the population (at that time approx 91) down to that level on its own.

Fact: At no point was there any plan for any euthanasia of animals for space. The Board did instruct management that they had 90 days to lower the steady dog count either to 40,45,or 57 depending on who you talk to. Failure to meet these goals involved action against staff members, not animals Several contractual and donor obligations make such a euthanasia program impossible at LHS.

Rumor: LHS has gone/is going No-Kill

Fact: This is false. The LHS Board, which is required by law to set policy, has never voted on nor introduced any policy to make LHS "No Kill?. Six months ago the Executive Director (ED) stated to representatives from several Animal Advocacy that becoming "No Kill" was a goal, but that a lot had to happen first. In fact the ED was already running LHS as a "No Kill" without taking any of the appropriate preliminary steps to prepare and without informing the Board.

Rumor: Funders have been pulling money due to the previous Board's behavior.

Fact: Two foundations have pulled their grants totaling $4,000 based on false information provided by a disgruntled ex-employee.

Rumor: The Shelter could have continued operating under the guidance of Management, Staff and volunteers without a Board. Worst case, the shelter would operate as before.

Fact: State and Federal Law requires any nonprofit organization, including LHS, to have at least three Board members AT ALL TIMES. Without a Board, LHS would have immediately been under the command of the State. History indicates that the shelter likely would have been turned over to Jersey City and become a municipal pound, with animals routinely killed after 7 days if space were needed. This is a common fate for No-Kill shelters that have not properly prepared and staffed themselves to be such.

Rumor: The interim Board's first priority is finding a permanent Board.

Fact: The interim Board's priorities are to audit the organization's finances, get as many animals placed in respected Foster/ Rescue groups as possible, and improve the conditions in the kennel. HAA is working to improve relationships with various highly respected Rescue and Foster groups and get animals placed with them.

Rumor: The Board quit because it had no plan to balance the budget. The ED did.

Fact: The budget was balanced until the shelter began new programs/ policies without the Board knowing, creating over $70,000 in new debt. The Board resigned because it felt, rightly or wrongly, that it lacked the power to close the $150,000 budget gap due to operational interference by a major individual donor. The ED claimed she had a plan to close the gap. The interim Board has found places where it can save money without impacting animal care; the ED never produced her own balanced budget proposal.

Rumor: The shelter is overcrowded due to seasonal and economic issues, with other groups not doing enough to place animals.

Fact: The Shelter has turned down offers of help from many respected Rescue and Foster groups for no clear reason. For unstated, but not possibly justifiable, reasons the Shelter has refused to turn over animals after agreeing to do so. HAA, working closely with the interim Board, has put in place an emergency protocol for getting Animals at LHS quickly moved into reputable organizations while reestablishing positive relationships with them. Our goal is to reduce population to a level where animals can be housed cleanly and humanely via reputable foster, rescue, and adoption programs.

Thank you for your attention -

David Norman, Blanche Norman, & Aurora Piacentino
Executive Board
Hudson Animal Advocates A NJ Nonprofit Corporation

Posted on: 2010/7/21 20:02

Liberty Humane director is let go.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
I came here to see if there was any news about Liberty Humane... and then, I found it myself. It seems there was a lot of activity about Liberty Humane since last week... bandaging and emergency work, etc. (For instance, a hell of a lot of Facebooking) But, perhaps too late for the boss there. So, here is the new news: ------------------------ Jersey City animal shelter board fires director by Ken Thorbourne/The Jersey Journal http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_animal_shelter_boa.html The interim board of the Liberty Humane Society animal shelter in Jersey City fired its director tonight. The three-member interim board of the Jersey City Liberty Humane Society fired the animal shelter's director tonight. This action comes a nearly a week after the shelter's former five-member board resigned, citing differences with the director, Joanna Hopkinson. "We feel the organization needs a fresh start," Diana Jeffrey, one of three past presidents of the shelter to comprise the interim board, said about the firing. "We just feel the process needs to start again." When they quit en masse last week, the former board members accused Hopkinson of leading the shelter into financial insolvency by instituting a misguided "no kill" policy. Asked if the immediate termination of the Hopkinson meant the interim board agreed that Hopkinson's pursuit of a "no-kill" shelter was wrongheaded, Jeffrey said it did not. But she added, "We know that the 'no-kill' policy has resulted in expenses exceeding our income and has resulted in the shelter being overcrowded." Hopkinson, who was hired to be the shelter's director in November, could not be reached to comment tonight. Jeffrey spoke shortly after the interim board met at City Hall and said a leading reason the board fired Hopkinson was to dispel the notion that the shelter is too beholden to its largest donor, John Neu. She said Hopkinson's salary, which was "in the 70s," was being paid from a restricted grant from Neu that could only be used to pay Hopkinson. Neu could not be immediately reached to comment. Jeffrey said two firms are working voluntarily to figure out the shelter's finances and once that work is completed in a couple of days, all

Posted on: 2010/7/21 3:25

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017