Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Prostitutes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Those girls never hurt anyone on purpose. The only victims are the girls themselves because of pimping. Yeah this city needs to be cleaned up but I'm sure you can find more violent crime and others that pose a serious threat o society besides some working girls.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 14:42

Prostitutes

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/6 4:43
Group:
Registered Users
I am sick of seeing prostitutes in Jersey City along Route 1 & 9 near the Starlite Motel. It is disgusting seeing the girls in skimpy clothes hanging around and waiting to be approached. I drive quite a bit and I can't believe I see this on a regular basis!!! Our city really needs to be cleaned up!!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 20:49

Re: Heights: Starlite Motel on Tonnelle Ave -- two men & one blonde, then three men and no clothes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Two men stripped and robbed at Jersey City motel by trio, and one suspect arrested, police say

the article's title is a better title. the one you chose seems like an illegal sex change operation. thanks for getting my hopes up for nothing

Posted on: 2010/7/25 15:01

Re: Heights: Starlite Motel on Tonnelle Ave -- two men & one blonde, then three men and no clothes
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
It is fantastic! Greetings from Buenos Aires where I spend every summer. La Fusta is one a few places I will even order meat in the NYC area. I can recommend the entra?a which is a skirt steak- that is my favorite. The La Fusta Salad is quite good, and for a change from normal, try the white sangria on a really hot day! Now I am hungry...good thing I can get the real thing, and not have to be on 1&9 =) Enjoy!

Posted on: 2010/7/23 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
This is what happens when you get a hooker from 1 & 9

Posted on: 2010/7/22 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
has anyone tried that Argentine place on 1/9? I have gone by it many times but never stopped - if it is still in business it must be be decent.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mingus_ah_um wrote:
Tonnelle Avenue isn't in the Heights, but is considered in the Western Slope.

It is in Ward D which covers most of the Heights section but no other section. The address of this motel is in the Heights section. If not then what section (not sub-section) of Jersey City is it in ?

Posted on: 2010/7/22 13:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/3 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
Tonnelle Avenue isn't in the Heights, but is considered in the Western Slope.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:

the 1-9 Red Light District

Resized Image

Back from a 2004 New York Times:
----------------------------------------------

Lipstick On a Pig

By JONATHAN MILLER
Published: July 18, 2004

THERE is no shortage of ugly roads in northern New Jersey. But one particular stretch of highway is so inescapably fearsome and despised that if one day it slipped into the Hackensack River it would barely be missed -- except for the usual backups.

''It's the road to hell'' is how John Gomez, president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, described it.

The road in question is Tonnelle Avenue. But given the state's problem with traffic signs, it is of little surprise that in Jersey City the name is spelled Tonnele. Either way, it is pronounced TUNN-el-lee. To many, however, the road is known simply as Routes 1 and 9 -- best viewed from a rear-view mirror.

Seedy motels with neon signs bearing the names Spinning Wheel and Starlite and Seville (the latter advertises ''Jacuzzi. Mirror Rooms''). Drug rings. Prostitution rings. Gun-running rings. They have all operated along this strip over the years.

Beside this illicit trade, perhaps the second-biggest industry is the auto shops, where the corpses of cars long past their prime line the street. The hulks of warehouses and old industrial buildings and half-lived-in homes are crowded along the road in all their claustrophobic grotesquery.

Traffic, when not at a standstill, travels at breakneck speeds along narrow, 10-feet-wide lanes -- providing Routes 1 and 9 easy access onto the list of the state's most-congested roads. Trucks spew fumes into the sky. Sidewalks are hard to come by.

But in recent years change, however slight, has come to this six-mile stretch of road that runs through Jersey City and North Bergen, bisected by the approaches to the Lincoln Tunnel from Route 495 and the Holland Tunnel from the Pulaski Skyway.

New businesses have opened, like an Argentine bar and grill that serves $185 bottles of wine. Just up the road, a spot that once housed the Millennium Club, scene of countless brawls and a fatal shooting, is now a Hindu temple that advertises itself as ''a unique cultural complex'' and attracts hundreds on Sundays. A Lowe's home improvement store recently opened in North Bergen, and a Target -- the postmodern essence of cheap chic -- will open this week. Home Depot is litigating to develop nearby.

Next year, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is scheduled to open a stop at 51st Street and Tonnelle Avenue. And new overpasses have freed up traffic that just two years ago would back up around the freight train lines that run parallel to the road.

For now, new signals and an untangling of traffic circles have made the road slightly less harrowing. And Transportation Department officials plan a $215 million widening and repaving next year from Secaucus Road in Jersey City to Route 46 in Fairview.

''It's coming a little bit,'' said Thomas A. DeGise, the Hudson County executive, who travels the road three or four times a week. ''I still try to avoid it, though. It's a scary place to ride.''

So it is not exactly a renaissance. But things are looking better, as when someone applies lipstick to a pig.

The changes are welcome news to Mario Costa Jr., who sipped a glass of pinot noir at his bar on a recent Saturday night. ''It looked really bad before,'' said Mr. Costa, the 47-year-old owner of Ringside Lounge, a Portuguese bar and grill he has owned since 1983. ''It looked like a bomb hit.''

By way of comparison, he invoked Vietnam. ''Before, it looked like Danang,'' he said. ''The junkyards and prostitutes. It was really bad.''

Many of those junkyards -- ones with names like Hub World, which featured a hubcap pyramid -- are gone, but dozens of auto body shops remain. The prostitutes linger, though there are fewer than in years past, when packs of them stood by the road leering at passers-by.

Still, professionals like Denise patrol the Putnam Truck Stop. Decked out in a pink-and-white striped one-piece affair, she leaned into dozens of cars one recent afternoon to offer her services. ''You want some loving?'' she asked.

So why is the name for Routes 1 and 9 -- a strange enough locution in its own right -- spelled one way in Jersey City and another in North Bergen? No one is sure. The name itself probably comes from a wealthy landowner, John Tonnel?, who owned property in Jersey City near the current site of St. Peter's College and briefly was a state senator.

When Mr. Tonnel? died in 1852, his estate was valued at $500,000, according to newspaper accounts. The family, in typical New Jersey fashion, traded on its wealth and became part of Manhattan high society. Later, his grandson, Laurent J. Tonnelle -- who sometimes spelled his last name with one ''L'' -- became embroiled in a lawsuit to get $2 million in property he was owed in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Oswego, N.Y., that had been left to him by his grandfather. He lost the suit, but went on to become the first chairman of the North Jersey District Water Supply Commission, which governs the Wanaque Reservoir.

For years, Tonnelle Avenue was a backwater, a dirt road running next to the marshes of the Meadowlands.

''If you can visualize it, it was all grass and muck,'' said Sol Feith, 92, a longtime Jersey City resident and former teacher at Lincoln High School.

Around 1930, three years after the Holland Tunnel was built, the road was paved. But that did not prevent it from becoming a dumping ground and scrap site (many properties along the stretch are still contaminated with chromium) and motel haven.

The followers of Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha, or BAPS, as it is known --a sect founded in 1907 -- have five strict vows: no stealing, no adultery, no drinking, no meat and no ''impurity of body and mind.'' What better place to set up a Hindu temple than in a dingy nightclub that once served seafood on a road that caters to the illicit sex trade.

Manoj Mehta, 42, the priest at the temple, spoke on a recent afternoon of what people encountered when they entered the former nightclub: ''Too much smell of liquor and beer, and lobster and seafood.''

Just down the street, La Fusta, the Argentine restaurant that opened in May, has a tiled floor, white tablecloths, exposed brick and $185 bottles of wine. So far, business has been solid, said Jos? Bruno, the headwaiter.

''We don't have only Argentinians,'' Mr. Bruno said as a soccer game played on a television in the bar. '' We have a lot of American people, we have a lot of Spanish people. A lot of Italians, in fact.''

The building, formerly the site of a Spanish restaurant, sits at an angle to the street, and its dining room is barely 10 feet from the rush, often giving diners the precarious impression that a car could easily crash their party. ''That's what people tell me when they're sitting,'' Mr. Bruno said.

Right next to La Fusta is the Comfort Suites, which opened last year and has a chandelier in its lobby, comfortable rooms and a reception desk. ''It's hard to believe how much it's changed,'' one receptionist said of the neighborhood.

But some things never change. Across the street stands the Seville Motel, where $26 covers a three-hour stay, and a man on duty behind a thick wall of yellowish bulletproof glass shouted, ''I don't understand'' when asked how things had been going at the motel. Finally, he said: ''Fine. No problems.''

Of course, the question is why. Why have things improved along Routes 1 and 9? ''I don't know why that is,'' said Mr. DeGise, the county executive. ''You got me on that one.''

The why does not matter much to Mr. Costa of the Ringside Lounge. ''It's ugly,'' he said. ''It's still not really, really pretty. But it's better.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/18/nyr ... a-pig.html?pagewanted=all

Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rbnyfan wrote:
if you dont group it in with the heights, i dont know what other region you could group it with -

the 1-9 Red Light District

Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
the sparrow hill neighborhood is west of JFK but it is commonly associated with the heights. in fact, there's a sign put up by the city on manhattan ave (near the white manna) that says welcome to the heights.

i agree tonnelle is pretty far down, but if you dont group it in with the heights, i dont know what other region you could group it with - i guess maybe it's own section (1-9? JC West)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Tonnele avenue isn't the Heights. JC Heights is East of JFK Blvd. Tonnele ave is way downhill from the heights, literally and figuratively.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Good thing the StarLite has video cameras.
O wait, if they did this guy would of been caught.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 15:56

Heights: Starlite Motel on Tonnelle Ave -- two men & one blonde, then three men and no clothes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map
View Larger Map Two men stripped and robbed at Jersey City motel by trio, and one suspect arrested, police say Tuesday, July 13, 2010 By MICHAELANGELO CONTE JOURNAL STAFF WRITER Two men at the Starlite Motel on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City said they were forced to strip and were robbed by three men after they allowed a "blond female wearing a blue dress" into their room to use the bathroom, reports said. One of the robbery suspects, Christopher W. Darden, 27, of the Bronx, was arrested shortly after the robbery, which occurred at around 6:45 a.m. Sunday, reports said. One victim said he left to return the room key and when he returned a man forced him into the room, where he found two more robbers and saw that his friend had been stripped and was on the floor, reports said. The victim said the robbers then forced him to take off his clothes and took $650 from his pockets, reports said. When police responded, they arrested Darden in the parking lot after the 22-year-old Jersey City victim and 19-year-old Fairview victim pointed at him saying, "He robbed us," reports said. Police found Darden had $1,560 on him, reports said. The victims weren't sure when the woman left the room but told police that Darden's alleged accomplices fled the motel in a black BMW, reports said. Anyone with information on the robbery is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017