Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Newport Mall Movie Theaters are disgusting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
JC people crack me up. I lived in Manhattan for 10 yrs before moving here. I learned some simple rules: If you want to avoid crowds and teens, avoid the first couple of weeks and weekend evening showings. Manhattan is no better at 8pm on Fri night of an opening weekend. And yes I detest teens, cell phones and babies as much as everyone (in a movie theatre), I just know how to avoid them. JCList cracks me up.

I too wonder where some of these people came from.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I'm amazed at the problems everyone has with the people at Newport Loew's.
Whenever I go, the place is practically empty and I can usually get a seat with nobody within 8 feet of me.

I have never had a seat with a missing armrest, albeit lumbar support IS absent. A pillow from home is a big plus.

Remember, Newport Cinema is 24 years old. Check out the Hoboken Clearview in 24 years and tell me what it looks like.

(I remember when the octaplex on 440 just opened (with ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS.) The place was gorgeous, new red carpeting, velvet everywhere...for a couple years and then YOI!
Time is hard on a movie theater.)

Hey, do you know many movie theaters that have a choice of 4 free senior movies every month? Newport does. (Maybe I shouldn't have said that!)

As far as Edgewater and Secaucus go, have you amortized the cost of your car lately?

Posted on: 2010/7/21 13:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
JC people crack me up. I lived in Manhattan for 10 yrs before moving here. I learned some simple rules: If you want to avoid crowds and teens, avoid the first couple of weeks and weekend evening showings. Manhattan is no better at 8pm on Fri night of an opening weekend. And yes I detest teens, cell phones and babies as much as everyone (in a movie theatre), I just know how to avoid them. JCList cracks me up.

Posted on: 2010/7/18 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen mice and RATS in Manhattan theaters before; I try not to wear sandals into a theaters anymore. Also, the Hoboken theaters are not that far from the lightrail.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 4:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
just saw Predators at the Secaucus theater, they have nice big leather seats.

the new Hoboken theater is nice also, just wish these better theaters were easier to get to for people who have to rely on public transportation

I think the sound system in the Newport theater really sucks more than the people, the Hoboken one blows it away.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
has anyone been in the past year? has it gotten any better?

I tried it again after a couple of years to see if it was a better experience, it wasn?t. I am not concerned about missing armrests and the aesthetics. My ojida comes from the plethora of hoodlums talking throughout the entire movie, answering their phones, etc.

A couple years ago I first swore off Newport theaters when people were talking on the cell phones, screaming educative comments like ?wha he be thinkin...he crazy?, and a guy near me was translating the entire movie from English to Arabic for the guy next to him.

I will continue going to Edgewater, Secaucus or Battery Park City for another couple of years.

I was LMAO rading your post, that's pretty funny.. I have gone to the late night showings during the week anytime between 9-11 and there is hardly anyone there, I NEVER attempt any movie theatre on the weekends, and if I do its an early or late showing on a Sunday.... that being said has anyone been to the new theatre in Secaucus? Do they have leather seats? any good/bad reviews I been dying to go there.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 0:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'll never go back to this theater again. The seats were so uncomfortable my back and neck hurt for 4 days after, and I rarely get back/neck pain. Also, my feet stuck to the floor the entire time I was sitting. I don't think they ever mop in there.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a huge fan of the newport theater patrons that take pictures and video of the screen with their cell phones. Not distracting at all (reread with sarcasm).

Posted on: 2010/7/16 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The 11 Pm showings during the week are pretty good because only the theater employees are there.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:

I tried it again after a couple of years to see if it was a better experience, it wasn?t. I am not concerned about missing armrests and the aesthetics. My ojida comes from the plethora of hoodlums talking throughout the entire movie, answering their phones, etc.

A couple years ago I first swore off Newport theaters when people were talking on the cell phones, screaming educative comments like ?wha he be thinkin...he crazy?, and a guy near me was translating the entire movie from English to Arabic for the guy next to him.

I will continue going to Edgewater, Secaucus or Battery Park City for another couple of years.

Hahaha! I remember one night we had some movie ticket certificates that didn't work at Edgewater and we watched King Kong (yeah, I know, not a great movie). There was a woman sitting across the aisle from 4 of her children. Those kids were screaming and making a ruckus and the mom screamed "YOU BETTER BE QUITE OR I AM GONNA WHUP YOUR ASS RIGHT NOW!!!" It is pretty funny now in hindsight.

We recently watched Toy Story 3 at Newport and the crowd was fine. It was the weekend but a matinee. I told my husband to keep his popcorn in his lap after reading this thread a while back. I haven't seen any mice but it wouldn't surprise me.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:

Posted on: 2010/7/16 21:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users
the city needs a real movie theater. stadium seat, good vending, etc...

Posted on: 2010/7/16 20:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think so. Armrests are still missing and your shoes will still stick to the floor. :(

Posted on: 2010/7/16 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/16 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Do they (The Loew's in Journal Square) have a website? That sounds right up my alley. I adore "Niagara" and "Night And The City". I'm kind of (ok, totally) a film nerd so this would give me a nerdgasm.

http://www.loewsjersey.org/

You can also sign up for their email list -- the theatre is volunteer-run and restored, and they're always looking for more people to help out!

Posted on: 2009/3/16 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a huge fan of Slumdog. I definitely think it is overrated and undeserving of all the accolades. Not a bad movie, but maybe a 7 or 7.5 out of a 10. There IS a reason I used that word in quotation marks, and sarcasm has a bit to do with it. Let's just say that I've seen lines to the Panda Express when Blade 2 opened up, and have watched things like Star Wars Episode 1 on opening day with zero line. I'll leave it at that.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
It's really cool to hear that about the Loew's. During the late seventies and eighties that theater was a million times more disgusting than the Newport theater. They finally had to close it and all the other beautiful old Urinal Square theaters, and everyone was thrilled when Newport opened up.

Looks like things have come full circle.

Posted on: 2009/3/16 0:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/13 7:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NickRees wrote:
Quote:

ansky wrote:
I don't care what movie theater it is, I'm not going to pay 9 or 10 bucks to see a movie. I'll wait the three months to rent the DVD for a dollar.

Well I have to say I had a great experience movie-going experience this weekend by going to the Loew's theater in Journal Square. They were having a Film Noir weekend and showed classic films of the genre (Polanski's Chinatown, Kubric's The Killing, Hathaway's Niagra, and Dassain's Night and the City).
A magnificent vintage movie theater where you can see the films as they were originally intended to be shown. Foster Hirsch a professor of film and film noir expert was on hand to introduce each film with interesting comments and conducted a Q&A session afterwards.
They even have an organ that elevates and goes back into the floor with some excellent house organists providing entertainment before the films and in the interval between double bills. I recommend people try this experience the next time they have a program.

As for Newport, well I try not to go there but once in a while they have a film that I want to see and it is cheaper than going into NYC so I try to go during a quiet period which means not Friday or Saturday evening. However, the experience is often ruined by other patrons that don't have a clue how to behave.
I can't believe that they don't fix the hand-dryers in the men's bathroom. Only one is working; the others have been broken for over a year

Do they (The Loew's in Journal Square) have a website? That sounds right up my alley. I adore "Niagara" and "Night And The City". I'm kind of (ok, totally) a film nerd so this would give me a nerdgasm.

I agree with everyone's opinions of the theatre at Newport. I took my girlfriend to see Iron Man, and they projected the first 15 minutes out of focus, while the guy behind us was on the phone for the whole movie describing it to his friend. Three weeks ago, I attempted to take my sister to see Coraline. They started it 5 minutes into the movie, just at the end of the credits, with no audio and blurry picture. After another 5 minutes of fiddling, the guy in the booth got the picture slightly into focus, but still blurry as hell, and got the audio to come on, but muffled. He seemed satisfied with that and walked away. I asked for my money back and am never going there again. Two atrocious experiences in a row is enough for me. Think I'll stick with Frank's in Bayonne.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

troysmith wrote:
Slumdog was released 17 weeks ago! And you went on a random Wednesday... The movie was by no means "intelligent," great flick that won best Picture, but that award isn't necessarily reserved for the most "intelligent" movie of the season.

I wonder what movies you normally watch.

Not a "great flick" by an means. "Gran Torino", "Doubt" and "Changeling" were better films. Even the "Dark Knight" was an "intelligent" movie, though, even if it wasn't a great movie. Slumdog Squarepants will be one of those multi-award winning films that everybody forgets about in a few years

Posted on: 2009/3/15 15:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
Slumdog was released 17 weeks ago! And you went on a random Wednesday... The movie was by no means "intelligent," great flick that won best Picture, but that award isn't necessarily reserved for the most "intelligent" movie of the season.

I wonder what movies you normally watch.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I went to see Slumdog on Wednesday. Total of four people in the entire theater. I love seeing "intelligent" movies at Newport, never a crowd.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 19:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/1 15:53
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for the Regal Battery Park City theater. I also like Edgewater but - as expected - on a weekend night you need to get there extremely early if you don't want to sit all the way in the front of the theater! There were tons of teenagers there as well. On the other hand, we went to see Slumdog Millionaire at Battery Park on a Friday night, got there right when the movie started and had no problem getting seats.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 18:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/27 20:47
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for Frank's Theatre in Bayonne.

I never even knew it existed for the longest time. I used to trek up to Secaucus or Edgewater as well. Frank's has stadium seating, very clean, nice crowd, and pretty decent prices. They offer matinee & early bird prices too.

http://www.franktheatres.com/southcovestadium12.asp

For those without cars, there is a light rail stop just across the road from the theatre.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 16:55
KEEP YOUR WEEKEND Errand service
http://keepyourweekend.com

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/30 18:45
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
I have no problem with the physical plant of the Newport cinemas... never seen a mouse or vermin.

BUT their choice of movies is beyond execrable.
Perhaps they are getting a LITTLE better with SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and THE READER. But maybe they were flukes and they'll go back to their normal junk (like all the movies with a II, III, IV or V after the title of what was a bad movie in its FIRST incarnation.

Don't they realize that there IS an audience down here for decent films?

You do realize it is a mall movie theater, right?

Posted on: 2009/3/13 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I have no problem with the physical plant of the Newport cinemas... never seen a mouse or vermin.

BUT their choice of movies is beyond execrable.
Perhaps they are getting a LITTLE better with SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and THE READER. But maybe they were flukes and they'll go back to their normal junk (like all the movies with a II, III, IV or V after the title of what was a bad movie in its FIRST incarnation.

Don't they realize that there IS an audience down here for decent films?

Posted on: 2009/3/13 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Thought I'd go to a movie by myself there and two teenagers sat directly in front of me (empty theater) and the young kid proceeded to try and get to second base with his girlfriend. They obviously were amused that I was trying to watch the movie. It was my second time attempting to watch a movie there where the local kids are just there to hang out, not watch the movie. I'll never go there again, but something tells me they don't care - their friends are the ones working at the theater...

So did the kid get to second base?!

Posted on: 2009/3/3 7:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/20 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
I completely agree about Newport Theaters being gross. For my wife and I it's either Jersey Gardens (for those w/ a car) or Battery Park (for those without). Both theaters are very clean and nice. Stadium seating, reclining chairs, non-ghetto crowds... what more could I ask for.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hudsonhorizons wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
What do you expect, its newport mall.

+1

if i really want to catch a movie on the big screen (rare these days), i'll go to lowes in secaucus

Big LOL. Those theaters are in even worse physical shape than Newport. That's why they're building a new stadium seating theater in the parking lot across from the loew's six.

There are FAR better places to see a movie on the big screen than either Secaucus or Newport.

im sorry im not much of a movie theater snob... i just like to go to a place where people aren't running around / talking / starting fights. and since secaucus happens to be geographically closer to where my friends and i live, then secaucus it is. if i wanted to take it to the next level i suppose i could make the trek up to edgewater, but it's not really that serious

Posted on: 2009/3/3 1:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
wow, sounds like someone is putting some work into the show
thanks for the review

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/14 0:14
Group:
Registered Users
It's 35mm film, although they are going to have 70mm film too.
The quality of the prints was excellent. The color in both Chinatown and Niagra was stunning (the other two films were black and white). Niagra uses a particular type of color which has not been used since. According to the experts there you will not see as rich or vivid colors in the techniques that are being used today and the quality of the print was said to be extremely close to the original.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 12:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017