Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Downtown: Williamsburg's Barcade (Bar Arcade) Coming to Newark Avenue

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
I LOVE Barcade! I really hope they make it work and open a spot in JC.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
750 feet!!?? I have lost all hope in "restaurant row".

Why, oh why, would a law like this exist, in a CITY?

No wonder all the bars in JC are spread out.

Newark Ave is a commercial strip, and SHOULD be the main dining/live music/nightlife center of "Downtown Jersey City". I now see why it is NOT.

Grove, Newark, and Jersey Ave should be mostly cafes, restaurants, bars, and delis. This is really a shame.

We can mock Hoboken all we want - but they did something right. They have walkable strips of cafes, bars, and restaurants ... something that ANY city should have -- especially a city like JC of 250,000 people. What an embarassment.

I actually can't even figure out why that 750 foot rule exists.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
this would be so cool... I know of at least 2 people (my boyfriend and my friend's boyfriend) who would basically have to be dragged out of there every night!

Posted on: 2010/7/8 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Secret bowling lanes.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
From the Muni Code:

? 84-4. - Plenary retail consumption licenses; restrictions. [Amended 12-27-1984 by Ord. No. MC-758]

A.
No plenary retail consumption license shall be granted for or transferred to any premises the entrance of which is within the area of a circle having a radius of 750 feet and having as its central point the entrance of an existing licensed premises covered by a plenary retail consumption license, shall be compelled to vacate the licensed premises for any reason that in the opinion of the Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control was not caused by any action on the part of the licensee, or, if the landlord of the licensed premises shall consent to a vacation thereof, the licensee may, in the discretion of the Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control, be permitted to have such license transferred to another premises within a radius of 1,000 feet measured from the entrance. The provisions of this subsection relating to distances between licensed premises shall not apply to the issuance or transfer of any license to premises which will be operated by the licensee as a bowling academy. The premises shall be deemed

Sooooo it seems the solution is just to install 4 bowling lanes in all the bars...

If this is true and I've never measured but aren't LITM and Skinners very close to each other? How did they get around it?

Posted on: 2010/7/8 22:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
To a city in need of expanded tax base and the necessary cache to attract it, one would think this one gets a nudge from the local govs. Hopefully they get it done.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not getting my hopes up.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the rules on Newark Avenue are different because of the Restaurant Row ordinance. How this affects the Barcade application, I do not know.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
From the Muni Code:

? 84-4. - Plenary retail consumption licenses; restrictions. [Amended 12-27-1984 by Ord. No. MC-758]

A.
No plenary retail consumption license shall be granted for or transferred to any premises the entrance of which is within the area of a circle having a radius of 750 feet and having as its central point the entrance of an existing licensed premises covered by a plenary retail consumption license, shall be compelled to vacate the licensed premises for any reason that in the opinion of the Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control was not caused by any action on the part of the licensee, or, if the landlord of the licensed premises shall consent to a vacation thereof, the licensee may, in the discretion of the Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control, be permitted to have such license transferred to another premises within a radius of 1,000 feet measured from the entrance. The provisions of this subsection relating to distances between licensed premises shall not apply to the issuance or transfer of any license to premises which will be operated by the licensee as a bowling academy. The premises shall be deemed

Sooooo it seems the solution is just to install 4 bowling lanes in all the bars...

Posted on: 2010/7/8 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think it would be great if every store front on Newark Ave was a restaurant/bar..better than empty stores and loads of 99 cent stores.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The issue with the licenses on Newark Avenue I believe is not a matter of having used all of Jersey City's consumption licenses, but rather that Jersey City has a municipal ordinance limiting the distance between licensed establishments, thus preventing every storefront from becoming a bar. [Empty store fronts are much better than a street of bars filled with patrons who might also end up spending money at other businesses]

Who we contact and how can we go about changing this ordinance? People are so afraid that JC will god forbid turn into Hoboken that they have over reacted. Isn't that the case with the first absurd restaurant row with no liquor after 11am that they tried to pull a few years back?

Newark ave is a commercial strip and this is exactly where we want and need to have these restaurants and bars.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The issue with the licenses on Newark Avenue I believe is not a matter of having used all of Jersey City's consumption licenses, but rather that Jersey City has a municipal ordinance limiting the distance between licensed establishments, thus preventing every storefront from becoming a bar. [Empty store fronts are much better than a street of bars filled with patrons who might also end up spending money at other businesses]

I believe the reason Hoboken has far more liquor licenses than other municipalities is that when the restrictive legislation was passed, existing establishments were licensed and grandfathered in, thus creating in some places more liquor licenses.

Hoboken also has a much more recent not within 500 feet of existing licensed business law, meaning newly licensed places must be more spread out.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
However, I'm disappointed to read the post above that says JC has given out all liquor licenses. WTF? How does that happen, and where are all the bars? LOL. How does a tiny city like Hoboken have more bars than JC does, when JC is 5x the size?

Is Hoboken really the ideal we want to strive for, bar-wise?

Fantastic news on Barcade!! Yes to pinball and the video games of the late 70s and 80s. (Before you needed six hands and foot dexterity to play...)

Posted on: 2010/7/8 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Now, while I'm being overly optimistic, can I be the first to request that they include some pinball machines? And I'm not talking about any of the recent video Pinball-2000 garbage... I want the quality 1990's Midway/Williams/Bally machines like Addams Family, Funhouse, and Twilight Zone.

PINBALL!!!!!!!! Esp. 70's/80's/90's!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/7/8 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, this is fantastic news!!

I'm usually pretty pessimistic about things like this and figure it could never possibly happen in the real (read: JC) world. But I was dead wrong in predicting the failure of Zeppelin Hall, so the idea of a bar/arcade in our neighborhood too may not just be a dream.

Now, while I'm being overly optimistic, can I be the first to request that they include some pinball machines? And I'm not talking about any of the recent video Pinball-2000 garbage... I want the quality 1990's Midway/Williams/Bally machines like Addams Family, Funhouse, and Twilight Zone.

Oh, and also, they should serve Magnolia cupcakes and have a Whole Foods take-out counter.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Liquor laws in New Jersey limit the number of liquor licenses granted based on population; a given municipality may issue only one license for on-premise consumption (bar or restaurant) per 3,000 residents and one for off-premise consumption (liquor store) per 7,500 residents. Thus, few new licenses are issued. But if you want to open a restaurant or other establishment in the state that will serve alcoholic beverages, it is possible to get your license

We need more input from the local municipality. We need to make it easier for establishments to open on Newark not harder. These establishments are the catalysts for growth of emerging neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The addition of any bar, especially on Newark Ave, is a good thing. However, I'm disappointed to read the post above that says JC has given out all liquor licenses. WTF? How does that happen, and where are all the bars? LOL. How does a tiny city like Hoboken have more bars than JC does, when JC is 5x the size?

JC shoots itself in the foot so often. If anybody can shed some light on the liquor license issue, I'd appreciate it. I'm very much in the dark with those laws.

It's most likely a matter of state law (as liquor licensing usually is). In NJ as in some other states, there is a maximum number of liquor licenses for each type of establishment (bar, restaurant, liquor store). And there are usually different types of licenses (beer/wine or full license).

New places get around this by purchasing the license of another bar or restaurant. So the number of licenses stay the same and they get reallocated as places open and close.

It's ridiculous but that's how the law generally works.

Well, that's what I thought. But what determines how many licenses are granted to each particular municipality? In other words, why does Hoboken have a zillion, and JC has so many less?? That makes absolutely no sense.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The addition of any bar, especially on Newark Ave, is a good thing. However, I'm disappointed to read the post above that says JC has given out all liquor licenses. WTF? How does that happen, and where are all the bars? LOL. How does a tiny city like Hoboken have more bars than JC does, when JC is 5x the size?

JC shoots itself in the foot so often. If anybody can shed some light on the liquor license issue, I'd appreciate it. I'm very much in the dark with those laws.

It's most likely a matter of state law (as liquor licensing usually is). In NJ as in some other states, there is a maximum number of liquor licenses for each type of establishment (bar, restaurant, liquor store). And there are usually different types of licenses (beer/wine or full license).

New places get around this by purchasing the license of another bar or restaurant. So the number of licenses stay the same and they get reallocated as places open and close.

It's ridiculous but that's how the law generally works.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 16:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/12 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
if this place opens ill never be able to do laundry or feed parking meters ever again.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/8 15:17
Group:
Registered Users
legit psyched about this. used to live a few blocks from Barcade in BK and it was a great place with a friendly atmosphere and a really nice staff.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Yes. Let's pray that this development is not held needlessly due to the Building Department. Perhaps the City should appoint a lead inspector to help small businesses work through the red tape so that there is not countless and needless inspection and re-inspections. I have had different inspectors on different occasions tell me different things.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Even if this was to open there are probably not enough nerdy, hipster doofuses to keep it going. It will quickly become a "family" restaurant as aging hipster doofuses need places to bring their kids.

Possibly true. Especially since it would seem that JC is gentrifying more in the way that Park Slope did rather than Williamsburg has been-- families rather than non-families.

However, I think in a similar way that the Beer Garden has attracted Manhattanites, a version of Barcade could very well do the same thing and help lift all of the JC drinking establishments along with it.

No comment on how you decided to describe hipsters. You dont think there are enough hipsters in JC to support this bar?? Really? have you guys been out to bars in this area within the past couple of years?

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/8 19:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is amazing! Newark Ave has sooooo much potential and as a resident I couldn't be happier.

PLEASE JC BUILDING DEPARTMENT, DO NOT SCREW THIS UP LIKE YOU DID ON OX!!! EVERY DELAY YOU CAUSE COST MONEY!

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
This would be a great addition downtown! Hope it all works out!

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Even if this was to open there are probably not enough nerdy, hipster doofuses to keep it going. It will quickly become a "family" restaurant as aging hipster doofuses need places to bring their kids.

Possibly true. Especially since it would seem that JC is gentrifying more in the way that Park Slope did rather than Williamsburg has been-- families rather than non-families.

However, I think in a similar way that the Beer Garden has attracted Manhattanites, a version of Barcade could very well do the same thing and help lift all of the JC drinking establishments along with it.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
isn't there another bar/lounge nearby with a less than stellar reputation? i wonder how the clientele of these 2 places will interact at closing time

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Any kind of bar is an improvement to Newark. Hipsters or not.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Have you noticed who's been moving here en masse.

Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Leave the hipsters in Willamsburg.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users