Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 45 »

re: using public space(s) for profit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
anyone who walks by hamilton park regularly since it's re-opened has probably noticed that the tennis courts are almost constantly in use and there's even usually several groups of people waiting to use them.

i'm only mentioning this because a few days ago i noticed what looked like some guy giving lessons to a couple of people and then yesterday while i was jogging with a friend we stopped to check out the bulletin board at the park and noticed this guy's ad for cardio tennis. $20 a lesson and he's got several times listed on his flier. does anyone else think it's shitty of this guy to "reserve" blocks of time on the court so he can charge people for his cardio tennis crap? if no one was using the courts i wouldn't care, but i think it sucks because there's only two courts and people are almost always waiting to use them and then this guy comes from who knows where and uses this limited and in demand piece of public space for profit. if i showed up at 6:45 and started using the court he was supposd to have reserved for his class at 7 i wonder what he would do?
File a complaint with the city. That's bullshit and there's no way he's allowed to do it. The dude should find himself a court at a gym or a club that he can use.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The late night basketball games have returned with the screaming and hollering. Once again I begin my nightly calling of the JCPD non-emergency number. Best to nip it in the bud and prevent the park from becoming a destination for the unruly late nighters. 201-547-5477.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 4:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/25 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
when I have gone to the tennis courts at HP,the list on the tennis&volleyball court is not for a list to be created as a waiting list and names are called. here is a way to look at it
1. courts are used on a first come, first serve process
2. if both courts are taken, create a "line" or waiting area to get the next available court
3. if both courts are taken, look at the list to see when those players "signed in", now you anticipate when you can play. example: Roger Federer signed in at 1:05 p.m.(so...now at 2:05 the next players waiting will know when they play)
4. sign in sheets are to help people waiting know when you are on next. when it is your turn, you "sign in" as you enter, and not at any other time. so that the people who show up after you, know when an hour will be completed.
5. players who want to play, will have to wait in the area by the courts and take the next available court, get to know the neighbors and ask who is waiting and where you will be on the line.
6. this is a first come first serve process, along with having an honor system and common courtesy. therefore, in all fairness, if you leave the line or waiting area, you risk the chance of loosing your turn. Those who manipulate the situation and play longer than an hour while people are waiting are completely inconsiderate. Or people who come in saying they signed up for a court and take it away from the people already waiting are just crazy.

spread the word: it is NOT a waiting list, or reservation list. people must sign in AS THEY ENTER the court, and not at any other time.

it is nice to see that many people playing and interested in the sport of tennis. I think with only 2 courts and sometimes used by volleyballers, we can make it work with cooperation and consideration. it might get crowded, but keep in mind.. there could be a continuous flow if people don't exceed an hour and play fairly. also, some people don't play a full hour. good luck and see you on the courts!

Posted on: 2010/8/14 22:37

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Do you think "No Ball Playing" signs on the lawns would help keep the lawns in good shape? I believe VVP had such signs...or at least they did years ago.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
As long as teacher man waits his turn and doesn't monopolize the court I don't really see the problem with it.

The volleyball is ruing the lawn though. I seem to recall that one of the tennis courts was configured for volleyball before the park opened. Was the net just tied to the fences?

Posted on: 2010/8/12 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
anyone who walks by hamilton park regularly since it's re-opened has probably noticed that the tennis courts are almost constantly in use and there's even usually several groups of people waiting to use them.

i'm only mentioning this because a few days ago i noticed what looked like some guy giving lessons to a couple of people and then yesterday while i was jogging with a friend we stopped to check out the bulletin board at the park and noticed this guy's ad for cardio tennis. $20 a lesson and he's got several times listed on his flier. does anyone else think it's shitty of this guy to "reserve" blocks of time on the court so he can charge people for his cardio tennis crap? if no one was using the courts i wouldn't care, but i think it sucks because there's only two courts and people are almost always waiting to use them and then this guy comes from who knows where and uses this limited and in demand piece of public space for profit. if i showed up at 6:45 and started using the court he was supposd to have reserved for his class at 7 i wonder what he would do?

I think it's a bit unprofessional using a small park to operate a for-profit business unless the appropriate body/organization is fairly compensated, but that's another topic.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 15:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
i don't remember all the times listed on the flier, but there were definitely set times, like 7-9 pm on wednesday, etc.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
if i showed up at 6:45 and started using the court he was supposd to have reserved for his class at 7 i wonder what he would do?

Did you actually see a time specified on the list? I've been told the list is supposed to be a "waiting list" not a "reservation schedule". You sign up, and stay in the area till the court is free. Just like a bar pool table. If you're not there when your name is called, it goes to the next on the list.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Resized Image

better for the park to be used in unexpected ways rather than sit empty.

If people want to play volley ball there, then perhaps the city or park group should install a sand court and a real net to clean it up.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/12 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Don't adults have anything better to do anymore than play children's games and entertain dogs?

My bad people. I should never have uttered that magic word "lam-o".

Posted on: 2010/8/9 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Don't adults have anything better to do anymore than play children's games and entertain dogs?

Posted on: 2010/8/9 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It's always gonna be hard stopping people from using a park as it was probably meant to be used. I just wanted to post this photo to show what the volleyball playing is doing to the SE quadrant. Especially before some lam-o tried to blame dogs!!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/8/9 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

retep1968 wrote:
Who is responsible for maintenance to the park? Also witnessed a group of young men playing soccer in one of the pet free areas with cleats, digging up the lawn. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of pick up game of any sort and the fact that the park is drawing people from other neighborhoods is a good thing but a little common sense is in order. As a resident I believe that we have a responsibility to help to maintain the park and to help keep it in good shape. Pick up soccer games are fine, but with cleats? I mentioned to them that they are ruining the grass in the area and whether or not my words were truly heard and understood remains to be seen but if other residents see this type of activity I believe it is in the best interest of the park to help stop this type of play. I think that the park is a beautiful addition to the area and want to see it and the neighborhood grow and thrive but irresponsible behavior from just a few people can thwart the efforts of many to help it along. Any thoughts from the residents?

Oh look a park let's play soccer ! In addition, you do not have to apologize about defending your park against a pick-up game, cleats or no cleats. You and your local park community is being offended and insulted, demand action ! It's happening in Mosquito Park, and they tried it on Ogden Ave. at Fisk Park but the neighborhood association had 3 cylindrical iron fences put up in the "open" areas of the park to deter these pick-up anytime games. These games also take up valuable parking from the out of town "visitors" to our parks.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 14:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Who is responsible for maintenance to the park? The grass has gotten out of control and is more than knee high in some areas. Would someone be so bold as to form a botanical comittee, or the like, for the park so that able bodied local volunteers can help take part in the maintenance of it? I would be more than willing to give up a few hours a month to cut the grass and trim the edges around the fenceline. Also witnessed a group of young men playing soccer in one of the pet free areas with cleats, digging up the lawn. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of pick up game of any sort and the fact that the park is drawing people from other neighborhoods is a good thing but a little common sense is in order. As a resident I believe that we have a responsibility to help to maintain the park and to help keep it in good shape. Pick up soccer games are fine, but with cleats? I mentioned to them that they are ruining the grass in the area and whether or not my words were truly heard and understood remains to be seen but if other residents see this type of activity I believe it is in the best interest of the park to help stop this type of play. I think that the park is a beautiful addition to the area and want to see it and the neighborhood grow and thrive but irresponsible behavior from just a few people can thwart the efforts of many to help it along. Any thoughts from the residents?

Posted on: 2010/8/9 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:

How could we get the basketball league to move back to Enos Jones Park, where they played last summer?

I called the Department of Recreation and have learned that the basketball court that used to be at the end of 8th Street in Enos Jones Park has been removed. This speaks volumes because if basketball in our neighborhood is so popular, than how was it removed so quietly? And why was there no uproar about it being removed by the HPNA? I doubt the removal was done without their approval.

While on the phone with the Dept of Rec, I asked what other parks hosted the City league and I learned that besides Hamilton Park, they are held at an indoor facility in the Union section. While there are many parks in Jersey City and several of these parks have basketball courts in them, only Hamilton Park hosts the City leagues.

Remember, during the balloting process, the community was asked for their feedback and therefore, it?s not appropriate for others to squash the Ninth Street folks? concerns about noise. They not only got the court, they got the leagues too. It?s some other parks turn to host the league.

In my opinion, Liberty State Park is an excellent place to build a recreational facility.

The BB court is still up at Enos Jones Park. I did notice that the hockey rink is really becoming an eyesore. There is litter and scraps of stolen cones and road barriers everywhere. There is also tons of graffiti on the inside wall. I noticed that people also write their names on the outside wall, close to the baseball field. One charming "tag" said simply "the Roman Family". Classy folks around here.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Saw yet another kid peeing in the Pet Free Zone tonight. You are laying and sitting in kid pee. Kinda ironic.

The ultimate irony would be if a kid took a shit in the dog run and your dog rolled in it.

Only because the opposite has happened many times in the grass lawns? In the end it won't kill them.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 1:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Saw yet another kid peeing in the Pet Free Zone tonight. You are laying and sitting in kid pee. Kinda ironic.

The ultimate irony would be if a kid took a shit in the dog run and your dog rolled in it.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/7/13 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Ever wonder what happens to the money that people throw in the fountain?

Resized Image

The fountain at Van Vorst Park has plantings around it. Miniature roses, with tiny thorns..... that help prevent people from standing and fishing into the thing. A natural fence. It could have been done here.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:

This one, this one right here. This was my dream, my wish. And it didn't come true. So I'm taking it back. I'm taking them all back.

Sean Astin. Goonies.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 5:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Nice work Vigilante.

Thanks.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/7/8 3:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Nice work Vigilante.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Resized Image

This one, this one right here. This was my dream, my wish. And it didn't come true. So I'm taking it back. I'm taking them all back.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I just saw the police pull up to Hamilton Park and clear everyone out (10 pm). There were people in the basketball court, the playground, and beyond. I wondered if someone called and complained or if they were concerned about illegal fireworks this weekend.

Posted on: 2010/7/4 2:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
I think the lawsuit is a rumor. The part is in transit from Canada and may be stuck in customs for awhile.

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

bem141 wrote:
Have I missed what is going on with the fountain and the spray area? I would love to know - I heard the spray area was one for one day and it was slippery. What's the plan though? And why isn't the fountain on?

Finally some updates :)

1. The fountain is awaiting final inspection. It should be operational soon.

2. The children's spray feature needs a new controller which is currently in transit. DPW and the Div of Architecture understand that it is needed ASAP. The surface has been worked on and is no longer an outstanding issue.

Steve, I heard a rumor today that I'd love for you to squash: that a lawsuit has been filed as a result of an injury in the spray area, so it will be closed indefinitely.

Please tell us this isn't true. If it is, and that litigious neighbor is reading this thread, then I gotta ask....really?!

Posted on: 2010/7/2 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have noticed that the park is attracting a loud and rowdy crowd at night in the past few days. To combat this I have asked my fellow dog owners to start making more trips to the park at night and to use the grassy areas where dogs are permitted. The presence of residents with dogs means more eyes and ears on any potential trouble-makers. It also helps to deter loitering. I also heard that people have been playing soccer in the park while wearing cleats. Maybe this will calm down as world cup fever subsides.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

bem141 wrote:
Have I missed what is going on with the fountain and the spray area? I would love to know - I heard the spray area was one for one day and it was slippery. What's the plan though? And why isn't the fountain on?

Finally some updates :)

1. The fountain is awaiting final inspection. It should be operational soon.

2. The children's spray feature needs a new controller which is currently in transit. DPW and the Div of Architecture understand that it is needed ASAP. The surface has been worked on and is no longer an outstanding issue.

Steve, I heard a rumor today that I'd love for you to squash: that a lawsuit has been filed as a result of an injury in the spray area, so it will be closed indefinitely.

Please tell us this isn't true. If it is, and that litigious neighbor is reading this thread, then I gotta ask....really?!

Posted on: 2010/7/1 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Not to be insensitive to the folks who live near the HP Basketball courts, but it's important to be mindful that there are homes near Enos Jones. I imagine those folks aren't thrilled with the noise, parking and other issues associated with the little league that plays there either.

But like others have stated, baseball games at Enos Jones don't start up in the middle of the night, like the basketball games do in HP.

Also, the location of the basketball court (or where it used to be) - check out google maps, is much much further away from residential housing vs. the set up in HP.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 18:22

(1) 2 3 4 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017