Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

Re-Visitor, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC-Hopkins Ave or Fairmount

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/1 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Actually the original developer went bankrupt.
After spending some time in the hands of the lending bank, reserves of the building have been established.
The empty units have been recently acquired by a new owner and are currently being renovated.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
JSantos,
As a recent shopper, I agree with you that the units at 333 Fairmount are gorgeous and the location is decent. However, the common charges of that building are high as the condo association and the developer are having massive financial problems and nearly went bankrupt. Getting a mortgage there will be difficult.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I can't speak about Hopkins, I don't know that area too well. However, the neighborhood around Fairmount west of Bergen is pretty decent. There is a large group of very involved parents in the area. I live a couple of blocks south from there on Fairview. You are both walking distance to LCCS and Primary Prep- two very good schools in the area. TECCS is also not too far, about ten blocks, but pretty close to the Path. I work full time in Manhattan and have two kids-- I usually bike or walk to the Jrnl Square Path. I love living here and being so close to Lincoln Park. Also to note, there is a toddler park in the works for the corner of Duncan and JFK. That is slated to start sometime next year.
good luck!

Posted on: 2010/6/30 12:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the neighborhood of the Fairmount property and am familiar with the neighborhood around Hopkins. There are lots of kids around here, as well as some pretty cool parents. The kids seem to be playing outside all the time when school's out, so if they're terrified, they're hiding it well. If in doubt, the Lincoln park playground is not a far walk and it's usually full of parents and kids from the neighborhood. You can just ask them.

There are also schools and day care within a short walk. I think either place would be good for transportation for you, but in terms of general convenience, i'd have to give my neighborhood the edge, since there are lots of stores and services nearby. I don't have a car either and i get around fine most days. there's lots of transportation here, even for short shopping trips.

In terms of the property, I'm not sure of what you'll be getting on Hopkins, but I've seen much of what's there, and I'd rather have a renovated, spacious pre-war apartment than a floor of a frame house. Of course, there are other things to consider such as common charges and the general maintenance of the property. I think you'll have space to grow on Fairmount, and better prospects for resale, if that's your choice. Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/6/30 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
I 2nd Hopkins Ave too, if you're raising a child. i'm familiar with the area. it's in the Heights near Christ Hospital. you can get the Dollar Bus as well as the 84 to go to work -JSQ-Path on Palisade or Coach Buses/NJTransit to the Square on Central Ave.

*I prefer safety as oppose to space if a child is concern.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Hopkins if you're raising a child.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Not familiar with the Hopkins block specifically.

I live on Fairmount since 2005, one block from you, on the two-way block on the other side of Bergen. Your building is in a good location for a variety of reasons, including Lucky Fruit and Veg farm on the corner, Lee Sims Chocolates, Raphs Plaza, Imago Salon, Davinci Italian, Pho Bin Vietnamese, Ghabour Middle Eastern grocery, Pasha Middle Eastern cuisine, Guerroro (fresca!) Mexican on Jordan, the long-time residents and the new ones, bus #99S to Port Authority stops around the corner from you on Kennedy Blvd, many historical sites. And I'm leaving stuff out, please don't kill me, y'all.

I LOVE my neighborhood. There are lots of great people in this area.

www.UptownCrew.net

Posted on: 2010/6/29 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
It depends on your tollerance, although I find that particular area of Fairmount to be absolutely fine, others may not think so. I am not familiar with Hopkins Ave, but Fairmount I think is a good block IMHO, and your before Bergen which is usually where the problems start, you are pretty close to JFK which is very good

Posted on: 2010/6/29 19:37

JC-Hopkins Ave or Fairmount

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/29 19:26
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,
I'm a single mother to a 3 yr old baby girl. I have 2 options I can live on Hopkins Ave in a 3-story house but buy the 3rd floor as a condo. 755 sq ft, 158K
Or I can go to a bigger building on 333 Fairmount for a huge 2 BR-1000 sq about 170K
I will not have a car so I need an easy commute to NY where I work; I need it to be safe for the baby and me.
The building seems great on Fairmount and the apt will be completely renovated. But i'm leaning for Hopkins
I'm just not sure which to choose. I need to move quickly as these are both good deals. Many people told me Fairmount is not as good. I know I?d be sacrificing space but i prefer safety and convenience over a huge apt and feel unsafe and scared to go out
Any opinion given will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 19:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017