Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bars with Pool tables in Downtown Jersey City ???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Stumbled over this old thread and it got me slavering for some game. Any updates to the list of Downtown bars with tables?

Posted on: 2014/2/1 18:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/20 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
PD Billiards just went through new ownership within the last couple of years and apparently it's been better maintained since, but they do not have a liquor license, so you won't find a bar there if you're looking for one.

I would recommend Willows (willow ave betw 13-14th st) in hoboken...they have 13 well maintained regulation size tables, decent bar with its only downfall as the jukebox which you need to feed in order to have music...it's paid time, if you're interested, they have league nights with straight pool on mon night, apa nights tues-wed in both 8 ball and double jeopardy (8/9 ball) which is the largest amateur league no matter what skill level you play...some "action" shows up from time to time, if that's what you're looking for as well...but all in all clean, with a good vibe and decent street parking at night.

If you're also willing to take a drive another 15 min outside of jersey city, you can also go to Castle Billiards on rt 17s in Rutherford. Same feel as Willows, but with more tables.

I'm not a fan of bar tables, but for anyone on the west bergen side of jc, my buddy owns a bar called Mojo Lounge where they have like 3 or 4 brand new bar tables and host apa league matches there as well. They are located on the corner of westside ave and armstrong.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 13:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/22 16:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

That's Shelia's.

Also add Latin Lounge and Maria's (aka New Music Box).

Franky, if you want stronger games or don't dig latin music, Hoboken is best. Louis and Jerry's and Willow Billiards are good places to start.

Sweet, Im actuall in the process of moving real close to the Latin Lounge so that will be handy for a game or 2. Does anyone know what its like in there, Im assuming a lot of Latino's?

Posted on: 2010/6/29 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I hear that the new bar opening in wamu location from willyburg will have a table. Hopefully not just another bar table but full size.

I don't understand. Do you mean the location at Newark & Barrow, and what does "from willyburg" mean?

As for table size, forget it. I played APA pool for a decade in bars all over lower Manhattan and never saw a full size coin table. Why: you can wait an hour for some drunk duffers to finish a game on a 6 ft table! Could you imagine on an 8?

Yes, newark and barrow is where the old wamu bank branch is located. that's where they're moving to open the new bar.

Willyburg is short for williamsburg and is what most locals call it

I played at the Kettle of Fish at it's location on 3rd/6th across from the Blue Note. Now owned by Fat Black Pussy Cat guy. The bar table there was one of the better ones @ two quarters a game back in the 90's. I usually played at SOHO Billiards(actually north of soho, on Houston) where you rented tables by the hour and there was never a wait for a table through most of the nite except weekends.

Once they open we have to shoot some call pocket, open pool, 14 to 1 continuous.

I actually do know "where" Willyburg is (though I usually hear it referred to as "Billyburg", it's more alliterative). I still don't understand the reference to a bar from there. Are the owners from there? You can't really move a pub.

Even back in the 90's there were few tables around that would tolerate anything but 8-ball, and or were less than $1. The Downtown Raccoon Lodge had something of a pool scene with some 9 ball, and my longtime home base of Googies had some occasional 9. 14.1 is pretty tough on a coin table since you can't pull the foul balls!

Yeah, while BillyBurg is more alliterative, "Willyburg" suits me better as the place gives me the willys as does any "scene".

We would just play 8 or 9 ball at Kettle. SOHO Billiards is where we played call pocket 14.1 as we paid by the hour.

Sometime I'll let you read my poem Mase.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 3:39
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, Barcade is opening a new location in the old WaMu. I wouldn't bet on them having a table though. They removed it from the one in BK and the new place will have more food and tables. We'll see, but it won't be anytime soon.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I hear that the new bar opening in wamu location from willyburg will have a table. Hopefully not just another bar table but full size.

I don't understand. Do you mean the location at Newark & Barrow, and what does "from willyburg" mean?

As for table size, forget it. I played APA pool for a decade in bars all over lower Manhattan and never saw a full size coin table. Why: you can wait an hour for some drunk duffers to finish a game on a 6 ft table! Could you imagine on an 8?

Yes, newark and barrow is where the old wamu bank branch is located. that's where they're moving to open the new bar.

I played at the Kettle of Fish at it's location on 3rd/6th across from the Blue Note. Now owned by Fat Black Pussy Cat guy. The bar table there was one of the better ones @ two quarters a game back in the 90's. I usually played at SOHO Billiards(actually north of soho, on Houston) where you rented tables by the hour and there was never a wait for a table through most of the nite except weekends.

Once they open we have to shoot some call pocket, open pool, 14 to 1 continuous.

I actually do know "where" Willyburg is (though I usually hear it referred to as "Billyburg", it's more alliterative). I still don't understand the reference to a bar from there. Are the owners from there? You can't really move a pub.

Even back in the 90's there were few tables around that would tolerate anything but 8-ball, and or were less than $1. The Downtown Raccoon Lodge had something of a pool scene with some 9 ball, and my longtime home base of Googies had some occasional 9. 14.1 is pretty tough on a coin table since you can't pull the foul balls!

Posted on: 2010/6/29 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Off the top of my head:

-Abby's
-Barrow St. Bar
-Guillo's
-The dive bar on the right side of Newark as you leave downtown going up the hill toward JSQ (can't remember the name)

That's Shelia's.

Also add Latin Lounge and Maria's (aka New Music Box).

Franky, if you want stronger games or don't dig latin music, Hoboken is best. Louis and Jerry's and Willow Billiards are good places to start.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

Posted on: 2010/6/29 0:32
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

Posted on: 2010/6/28 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Off the top of my head:

-Abby's
-Barrow St. Bar
-Guillo's
-The dive bar on the right side of Newark as you leave downtown going up the hill toward JSQ (can't remember the name)

The closest real pool hall that I know of is Fat Cat Billiards (very close to the Christopher St. PATH stop in NYC)

I used to shoot at Fat Cat years ago. I hear that the new bar opening in wamu location from willyburg will have a table. Hopefully not just another bar table but full size.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 21:06
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
It?s by St. Peter?s College not Prep.

It is above the Montgomery Auto Parts store, parking lot is in front.

PD BILLIARDS

911 Montgomery St

Posted on: 2010/6/28 19:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
There is a pool hall on Mongtomerry Street at about West Side avenue, near St. Peter's Prep.

And another on Willow Avenue and 14th street in Hoboken.

Robin.

Cool, have you ever played in the Montgomery street pool hall at all, whats it like?[

Posted on: 2010/6/28 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is a pool hall on Mongtomerry Street at about West Side avenue, near St. Peter's Prep.

And another on Willow Avenue and 14th street in Hoboken.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Off the top of my head:

-Abby's
-Barrow St. Bar
-Guillo's

The closest real pool hall that I know of is Fat Cat Billiards (very close to the Christopher St. PATH stop in NYC)

Posted on: 2010/6/28 18:18

Bars with Pool tables in Downtown Jersey City ???

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys, does anybody know any bars that have a pool table in the Downtown J.C. area?

Are there any pool halls in the vicinty?

Cheers
Paul

Posted on: 2010/6/28 17:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017