Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Not to be insensitive to the folks who live near the HP Basketball courts, but it's important to be mindful that there are homes near Enos Jones. I imagine those folks aren't thrilled with the noise, parking and other issues associated with the little league that plays there either.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:

How could we get the basketball league to move back to Enos Jones Park, where they played last summer?

I called the Department of Recreation and have learned that the basketball court that used to be at the end of 8th Street in Enos Jones Park has been removed. This speaks volumes because if basketball in our neighborhood is so popular, than how was it removed so quietly? And why was there no uproar about it being removed by the HPNA? I doubt the removal was done without their approval.

While on the phone with the Dept of Rec, I asked what other parks hosted the City league and I learned that besides Hamilton Park, they are held at an indoor facility in the Union section. While there are many parks in Jersey City and several of these parks have basketball courts in them, only Hamilton Park hosts the City leagues.

Remember, during the balloting process, the community was asked for their feedback and therefore, it?s not appropriate for others to squash the Ninth Street folks? concerns about noise. They not only got the court, they got the leagues too. It?s some other parks turn to host the league.

In my opinion, Liberty State Park is an excellent place to build a recreational facility.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandstone wrote:

Really, so that's the problem? How about the fact that I live about a half block away from the courts and directly adjacent to Cordero School? Because I chose to live next to a school I feel I forfeit my right to complain about kids' noise. The courts have been there forever. Did those who moved in across the street from them ask about court noise before they bought or leased? Or did they think that kids would just try to play a little quieter?

The courts are here to stay and if you think they're unpopular, ask around.

I get your point sandstone, but you also didn't expect the school noise to be happening at 3AM, which I'm sure you don't on any kind of regular basis.

I don't mind the courts, but I sympathize with people who live next to them. Seems to me it should of been fenced up and locked like the Enos Jones baseball fields. They had been a problem before, just like the off leash dogs. They had the foresite to deal with rules and accommodations for that problem, but not for the BB court noise.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandstone wrote:
The problem is, you don't live next to the bb court. The whistle blowing, the buzzer going off, besides the yelling and screaming, right next to where people are trying to sleep is completely incomprehensible.

I just don't understand why the court at Enos Jones can't be used instead, as it is much further away from where people live.

I live very close to Enos Park where they have baseball games nearly every day during the warm weather season, which is when most people have their windows open. We have the constant noise of the deafening loudspeaker as well as the cheering crowds. This is a city where people live, work and play. Noise comes with the convenience (or inconvenience depending on your point of view) of city life. People live close to hospitals, fire stations, airports, bars and factories ? it's city life. Unfortunately if you want a quiet neighborhood to live in, your best bet is the suburbs.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 17:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 12:59
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmmmm.....sounds like you have a real problem here. Is it really that bad? I can help with possible solutions:

*Gather your neighbors and protest.
*Continue to complain on a blog.
*Move

'Cause either way there will be courts, there will be kids playing, and there will be noise. Over and out on this end.

Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

sandstone wrote:
Really, so that's the problem? How about the fact that I live about a half block away from the courts and directly adjacent to Cordero School? Because I chose to live next to a school I feel I forfeit my right to complain about kids' noise. The courts have been there forever. Did those who moved in across the street from them ask about court noise before they bought or leased? Or did they think that kids would just try to play a little quieter?

Comparing a school to a basketball court is a little silly.

I actually moved into my place right around when the park was closing last year. I had no idea it would be this much of a nuisance. Would it have been a deal breaker? Probably not.

And just because the court has been there forever, doesn't mean it should stay there. It's way too close to people's homes. Simple as that.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandstone wrote:

Comparing a school to a basketball court is a little silly.

I actually moved into my place right around when the park was closing last year. I had no idea it would be this much of a nuisance. Would it have been a deal breaker? Probably not.

And just because the court has been there forever, doesn't mean it should stay there. It's way too close to people's homes. Simple as that.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
I'm sorry, but why choose to live next to a basketball court if you don't like it?
It's like moving in next door to a sewage farm and complaining about the smell.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 16:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is, you don't live next to the bb court. The whistle blowing, the buzzer going off, besides the yelling and screaming, right next to where people are trying to sleep is completely incomprehensible.

I just don't understand why the court at Enos Jones can't be used instead, as it is much further away from where people live.[/quote]

Posted on: 2010/6/30 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandstone wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
How could we get the basketball league to move back to Enos Jones Park, where they played last summer?

Walked past the park last evening with two dog-walking friends. We passed the playground and commented on the wonderful sounds coming from at least 100 happy little kids. We got to the basketball court and the league was in full swing. Kids, 22 of them playing in new uniforms, a very cool working score board, glistening new court surface, and we counted about 50 people viewing the game. One guy said it looks like an urban poster for how things should be.

So you see, we all see things differently. The courts are here and they're here to stay. And if they weren't, I know three guys that would fight like hell to get them back.

I just don't understand why the court at Enos Jones can't be used instead, as it is much further away from where people live.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 15:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:

Walked past the park last evening with two dog-walking friends. We passed the playground and commented on the wonderful sounds coming from at least 100 happy little kids. We got to the basketball court and the league was in full swing. Kids, 22 of them playing in new uniforms, a very cool working score board, glistening new court surface, and we counted about 50 people viewing the game. One guy said it looks like an urban poster for how things should be.

So you see, we all see things differently. The courts are here and they're here to stay. And if they weren't, I know three guys that would fight like hell to get them back.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

he is the reason that Hamilton Park has seen a successful renovation. Yet, the only mention of him in this report is ?negative?. Shame on the HPNA for not politely mentioning him in the credits and properly thanking him.

if this is true, somewhat mirrors Kurosawa's Ikiru...bureaucratic mandarins pat themselves on the back after a neighborhood park is built when their main contribution was obstruction and foot-dragging...

Posted on: 2010/6/30 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:

Both the results of park renovation survey conducted by Jennifer Greely and the HPNA clearly demonstrated community support for a pet free area. The survey
results specify that 30% of Hamilton Park be designated as ?Pet Free?. The current configuration is very close to the 30% figure.

The 115 page report is available at:

http://www.hamiltonpark.org/PDFS/HP_R ... tion_Community_Report.pdf

There is a statement in the HP Renovation report that is worth mentioning. It?s as follows:

?This report is the result of an enormous collaborative effort by many residents of Hamilton Park and members of the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association (HPNA). The balloting process was spearheaded by the Park Committee of the HPNA, of which the following people were members:

Paul Grigg, Chair
Warren Curtin
Geoff Elkind
Jon Gellman
Jennifer Greely
Janice Monson
Sam Stoia?

I understand that people come and go and that new members have joined this organization. However, the folks at the HPNA that were involved when this balloting study took place know that the tools used to collect this study was given to the HPNA by Cliff Waldman from the Jersey City Parks Coalition and Friends of Van Vorst Park.

For those new to the area or not educated in this community political stuff, the HPNA had been around for 20 years and didn?t know how to get a park renovation going. It wasn?t until Cliff Waldman gave the HPNA the questionnaire that the Friends of Van Vorst Park used to successfully have Van Vorst Park renovated, that the HPNA got started.

Cliff and I may have our differences, but he is the reason that Hamilton Park has seen a successful renovation. Yet, the only mention of him in this report is ?negative?. Shame on the HPNA for not politely mentioning him in the credits and properly thanking him.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I saw someone walking their dog (on leash) in the pet free area. She walked right past the sign. The signs are ugly and blatant, yet they still don't work? Come on, people!

Nevertheless, thanks to everyone who worked on this park. It's great to have it back.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 20:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
The Pet Free Zone signs are now in place.

The two lawn section along 8th Street are designated as "pet friendly", and the two sections along West Hamilton are "pet free". All other lawn areas, and walkways are also pet friendly.

Both the results of park renovation survey conducted by Jennifer Greely and the HPNA clearly demonstrated community support for a pet free area. The survey
results specify that 30% of Hamilton Park be designated as ?Pet Free?. The current configuration is very close to the 30% figure.

The 115 page report is available at:

http://www.hamiltonpark.org/PDFS/HP_R ... tion_Community_Report.pdf

Posted on: 2010/6/29 20:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/1 1:18
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Also if you see someone breaking the rule feel free to confront them. I certainly look forward to it.

Confronting a fellow neighbor is counter productive. It often leads to feelings of being harassed and makes people feel like taking a stand out of principle. No one has the right to harass another, which this could be construed as. I've seen one altercation where one party would certainly have legal standing to file a verbal assault or harassment charge if they wanted.

The best thing to do is call 547-5477. Even if it doesn't end up with the person being ticketed, it lodges the issue as a statistic that gets included in the JCPD's quality-of-life complaints report and gives more credibility to our requests for more patrols.

If you see someone repeatedly breaking the leash ordinance or not obeying the pet zone signs, you can also lodge a complaint with animal control. They have the authority to send notices by mail to people if you can provide an address.

It may not be as immediately gratifying as confronting someone, but is more productive.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
Slightly on/off topic. I haven't gotten up to the park since I moved here, and now that it is open, was wondering what the quality of basketball play is up there. I played HS ball and intramural in college, and played pickup games a few times over the years. Are the guys who play really good?

My advice is play somewhere else.

The material they used for the courts makes it like a giant cheese grater. One fall and you can be seriously cut up.

Hmmmm, I wonder if......

Posted on: 2010/6/27 20:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
Put a sock in it 81905.

This is not about the lack of appreciation of the good things we have here or about the benefits of living in this society. And this is not about negative, unhappy people. (That tiresome mantra endlessly repeated by the ?righteous? tools in this community against anyone who disagrees with the current agenda.)

This is a fight against a bureaucratic machine that is denying good people who love their dogs equal access to what precious little green space exists in this city. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonparkjc wrote:
I think you out-crazied the crazies. Nice work.

Please elaborate by honestly sharing with us your value system.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
I think you out-crazied the crazies. Nice work.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps there should be a month long section in every child's Social Studies class that shows the great blites that grip the world's poorest countries on a daily basis. I am sure this gets brushed over but if our youth were to have a solid month of it to really see the way our world's poorest and improvished kids live perhaps we would have a more compassionatte group of kids that were less selfish. I'm talking no sugar coating the issues or imagery, show the reality of it, show the bloated bellies and explain what casuses it, show the sick and thin, the unfortunate Hondurus children who live on trash dumps, the lives of kids who sleep in the wretched trash slums of Mumbai, etc. Maybe our kids won't be so inclined to whine about not getting the best pair of Nikes or next generation Xbox. Just a thought.

FYI - We are clearly are more generous than any other nation in terms of private financial aid to these poor countries. However, despite our government giving nearly twice as much in billions than any other nation, as a country, we rank amongst the lowest in terms of meeting the stated 0.7% GNI target that was set in 1970.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 14:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
I am just so glad to be able, again, to sit on a bench, read my book, look up at the beautiful trees, & watch the happy dogs & their owners go by.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I will add my token here by suggesting to unhappy people to join the cleanup crew. There is nothing like exercise to refresh a point of view.

Now whooo, 3 positive postings in a row, must be the record !!
Anyone wants to break this ?

Posted on: 2010/6/27 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Granted, stepping on dog doo is no fun but when well over a 500 million kids live w/o sanitation, clean water and around $1 a day I think stepping on the occasional piece of crap is a very small price to pay. In other words, you should be thanking your lucky stars each time you do step on a turd in HP or anywhere else for that matter.

Keep in mind this is a just a tool to give us a bit of perspective - a reality check. I know times get tough for all of us, we all have stresses, commitments, pressures, mortgages...

Come on. You're right, but you're trying to reason with a gaggle of anonymous, self-righteous, sniping complainers. This will never be a reasonable discussion so long as folks can hide behind an avatar. And hide they do.

Going public would create openness and comfort and would cut out all this negativity... which would be quite embarrassing to most reasonable people.

But now I'm trying to preach and I know they'll dismiss my message without any consideration. Keep up the good work though!

Posted on: 2010/6/27 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Granted, stepping on dog doo is no fun but when well over a 500 million kids live w/o sanitation, clean water and around $1 a day I think stepping on the occasional piece of crap is a very small price to pay. In other words, you should be thanking your lucky stars each time you do step on a turd in HP or anywhere else for that matter.

Keep in mind this is a just a tool to give us a bit of perspective - a reality check. I know times get tough for all of us, we all have stresses, commitments, pressures, mortgages, etc. But if stepping on a turd is about the worst thing that happens to you throughout the day I think you're going to be just fine.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

81905 wrote:
As I glance through this 1200+ Hamilton Park thread am I the only one stopping to really look at the big picture here? We have a nice, new park that had votes, meetings, etc., etc. Yes, opinions will differ on areas for dogs and trash will continue to be a thorn in all of our sides but last I checked we are still a pretty darn civilized society. It's threads like these that make me feel extremely blessed to live in the USA. Just imagine if you lived in Haiti, Dhaka or Ethiopia" I doubt they are up in arms over the location/quality of any "Pet Free Zone" signage.

I say get over it and take a walk around the park barefoot on the fresh new grass with your iPod and an ice coffee and think about that for a second. I suspect all the dog and basketball court trash worries will soon fade away.

... until you step on a dog turd.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As I glance through this 1200+ Hamilton Park thread am I the only one stopping to really look at the big picture here? We have a nice, new park that had votes, meetings, etc., etc. Yes, opinions will differ on areas for dogs and trash will continue to be a thorn in all of our sides but last I checked we are still a pretty darn civilized society. It's threads like these that make me feel extremely blessed to live in the USA. Just imagine if you lived in Haiti, Dhaka or Ethiopia" I doubt they are up in arms over the location/quality of any "Pet Free Zone" signage.

I say get over it and take a walk around the park barefoot on the fresh new grass with your iPod and an ice coffee and think about that for a second. I suspect all the dog and basketball court trash worries will soon fade away.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I would suggest calling the DPW as well as they are ultimately responsible for this screw-up. The Director is Rodney Hadley and the number there is 201-547-4402.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Calling the DPW or Parks Dept will not speed up the process.

Your tough-guy posturing, feeble detective work and lack of reading comprehension is quickly becoming the most entertaining thing on this thread.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 20:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I would suggest calling the DPW as well as they are ultimately responsible for this screw-up. The Director is Rodney Hadley and the number there is 201-547-4402.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Calling the DPW or Parks Dept will not speed up the process.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Or you could all just forget using signs and subtle reminders and just go for this:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/6/26 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Forget "pet-free" zones.... what you people need is to divide the park into "normal" and "dysfunctional resident" zones.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 15:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017