Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New York Times Today - Manhattan Was the Dream; Jersey City Fit the Budget
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
in xerxes defense, if you live on a high floor in a high rise, its not unfeasible to have quite a long wait to leave the building during rush mornings.

in addition, walking to Exchange Place and being on the path platform is also time not accounted for.

finally, this lady is old. she probably walks at half the rate as you guys.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
I walk at a reasonable pace, the same pace that the other thousand of my neighbors walk to and from the train and since I LIVE at Newport I have often walked to the Newport station...which takes me 10 minutes to get from my apartment 2 buildings away to the PATH platform.

I have often walked to the Crystal Point site. If I had to take an elevator up to an apartment in the building the walk between the apartment and the PATH PLATFORM (that's where the train is) would be a half hour within 5 minutes.

Now, Have YOU ever timed the walk or are you content to play with google as your expert source? I am telling you how long it takes and you are GUESSING how long you think it MIGHT take. If you want to see how long it takes, try walking it and you will find out that I am right. There's no teacher like experience.

I time my commute because I have morning meetings to attend. At least a dozen times I have had a 9:30AM meeting, taken the 9AM beacon shuttle to exchange place, walked the entire waterfront to Newport, passed the Newport station, and made my meeting in time. Maybe we aren?t talking about the same building?

Posted on: 2010/6/25 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, chief, how does it take you 30 minutes to walk to the waterfront? I'm on V V P, and it takes me no more than 15!

Posted on: 2010/6/25 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Chiefdahill: You are so right about Jersey City needing better publicity.

I took something to Housing Works in Manhattan and I wrote "JC, NJ" for the city/state on the receipt form. The old shrew looked at me and said " What's JC? Jersey City! You too embarassed to say you live there"

Posted on: 2010/6/25 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've been watching this thread from afar and have to agree with Brewster on this one. Half an hour is way off. I walk 3 blocks from Dixon to Grove path and it takes me less than 10 mins. I can walk from Dixon to the waterfront in half an hour. How do you think it takes 30 mins from CP to Newport path?

I'm all for more puff pieces about JC, bring it on. We need all the good PR we can get. There is so much bad press about JC from the corruption to the gang violence etc.

People need to loosen up. Soo much negativity on this board lately. I know people that have given up on jclist because they are sick over of the petty back and forth banter.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
You're kidding right? In a half hour I could be at the HOBOKEN PATH! From Hamilton Park!

And you're right, I didn't include getting to street level, because for purposes of commute time comparisons, I rashly assume you've got to get to street level no matter where you are, unless you live on the ground floor.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
You must crawl where you're going because it's certainly not more than a 10 minute walk to either station even done slowly.

I walk at a reasonable pace, the same pace that the other thousand of my neighbors walk to and from the train and since I LIVE at Newport I have often walked to the Newport station...which takes me 10 minutes to get from my apartment 2 buildings away to the PATH platform.

I have often walked to the Crystal Point site. If I had to take an elevator up to an apartment in the building the walk between the apartment and the PATH PLATFORM (that's where the train is) would be a half hour within 5 minutes.

Now, Have YOU ever timed the walk or are you content to play with google as your expert source? I am telling you how long it takes and you are GUESSING how long you think it MIGHT take. If you want to see how long it takes, try walking it and you will find out that I am right. There's no teacher like experience.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Fair enough as to looking out for your own interests as to your RE value but do you really believe that in our present economy, 25 to 30% real estate tax increases, 30% water increase, looming out of control school budget soon to weigh even heavier on taxpayers, Christie cutbacks across all areas, that you're looking at "raises (to) their RE values" based on puff articles in the RE section of the Times? I know you're not that naive Brewster.

Can't hurt, can it? It's like bailing a boat in a storm: you bail hoping to stay afloat till the storm passes. You still might sink, but if you don't bail you're sure to!

Besides, anyone clueless enough to buy at CP won't bother to research the local situation anyway. It's like that apocryphal poll of Newporters who replied that their mayor was Giuliani.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Well, someone has to try to build awareness of Jersey City among Manhattanites. Jersey Shore has been a start, but articles like the one about Crytsal Point, are also good.

Why are you so concerned about trying to "build awareness of Jersey City among Manhattanites."?? Who cares unless you're in the real estate biz trying to sell "Crytsal Point " (sic) or other gasbag condos.

Listen, I loved Manhattan when I lived there and likewise Brooklyn and never thought about JC or other places. I love where I live now in JC too and don't feel the insecurity of giving a flip what Manhattanites think of JC. Get over it and grow a pair.

You're certainly entitled to your POV, but at least recognize its that of a renter rather than owner. Most owner cheer the raised profile of Downtown JC as it not only raises their RE values but also brings more nice services to the area. Not all are to my taste or yours, but at least there's variety.

As if renter's didn't want "nice services" in JC as well as owners.

Fair enough as to looking out for your own interests as to your RE value but do you really believe that in our present economy, 25 to 30% real estate tax increases, 30% water increase, looming out of control school budget soon to weigh even heavier on taxpayers, Christie cutbacks across all areas, that you're looking at "raises (to) their RE values" based on puff articles in the RE section of the Times? I know you're not that naive Brewster.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 3:30
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Well, someone has to try to build awareness of Jersey City among Manhattanites. Jersey Shore has been a start, but articles like the one about Crytsal Point, are also good.

Why are you so concerned about trying to "build awareness of Jersey City among Manhattanites."?? Who cares unless you're in the real estate biz trying to sell "Crytsal Point " (sic) or other gasbag condos.

Listen, I loved Manhattan when I lived there and likewise Brooklyn and never thought about JC or other places. I love where I live now in JC too and don't feel the insecurity of giving a flip what Manhattanites think of JC. Get over it and grow a pair.

Thaaaaaank you, finally a voice of reason. I can understand that the owners want to raises the property values of their investments, but seriously who gives a shit what "Manhattanites" think? If your that insecure and trying to keep up with the Jones's then by all means please move to NYC and dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

You're certainly entitled to your POV, but at least recognize its that of a renter rather than owner. Most owner cheer the raised profile of Downtown JC as it not only raises their RE values but also brings more nice services to the area. Not all are to my taste or yours, but at least there's variety.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2010/6/21 20:57
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/21 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Screw Crystal Point and their re-negotiated abatement.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I would bet these are mostly written to appeal to advertisers; it may not be explicit, but the message really is "advertise your building in this section."

Posted on: 2010/6/21 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

clunkified wrote:
If anybody doesn't believe these articles are absolutely, 100% paid for, I have some magic beans to sell you.

I'm pretty certain the Times itself wasn't paid, but someone certainly was. If not the "journalist", then just a publicist whose job it is to flood them with "press releases" til they get their attention.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
i think having any press is good. potential buyers looking into CP will most likely look at other buildings. some may even want to explore further out...

Posted on: 2010/6/21 17:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
If anybody doesn't believe these articles are absolutely, 100% paid for, I have some magic beans to sell you.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 17:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes there are places other than Crystal Point in Jersey City...however, highlighting other areas in JC was not the point of the article. The point (or one of them) was to highlight lower priced real estate alternatives to Manhattan. JC certainly fits the bill and if you live in the downtown area of JC the commute via path is certainly quicker into downtown Manhattan and West points leading up to Penn Station than from other NYC buroughs.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why all the negativism? There are good things and bad things about Jersey City. Depending upon where one is going and when, Jersey City could be more convenient than Murray Hill.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
she is going to have to walk either to Exchange Place or Newport to catch the PATH that "whizzes" by SOME parts of Jersey City but certainly NOT Crystal Point.

Any trip into Manhattan will take her AT LEAST an extra half hour each way IF she is a fast walker...an hour's additional commute.

You must crawl where you're going because it's certainly not more than a 10 minute walk to either station even done slowly. GoogleMap the walk if you don't believe me, both stations are 10-11 min, closer than most of Hamilton Park. The NYTimes articles are always puff and CP has no appeal to me, but at least be fair since you've actually chosen to live in a waterfront hi rise also.

Agreed, I regularly walk between Exchange and Newport for my commute. I would say a 10 minute walk might also be an overestimation.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
she is going to have to walk either to Exchange Place or Newport to catch the PATH that "whizzes" by SOME parts of Jersey City but certainly NOT Crystal Point.

Any trip into Manhattan will take her AT LEAST an extra half hour each way IF she is a fast walker...an hour's additional commute.

You must crawl where you're going because it's certainly not more than a 10 minute walk to either station even done slowly. GoogleMap the walk if you don't believe me, both stations are 10-11 min, closer than most of Hamilton Park. The NYTimes articles are always puff and CP has no appeal to me, but at least be fair since you've actually chosen to live in a waterfront hi rise also.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
"Puffery" is EXACTLY the right word.

Here's my fave:
Quote:
The PATH train whizzes her in and out: ?I can get to places faster than I could from Murray Hill.?

Presumably those "places" are BJ's, ShopRite or NEWARK because otherwise she is going to haveto walk either to Exchange Place or Newport to catch the PATH that "whizzes" by SOME parts of Jersey City but certainly NOT Crystal Point.

Of course, she can go innto her garage, get her car out and DRIVE to Neport and re- park if for $20 while she "whizzes" into Manhattan. (Or she can sell her commercial property and huy a hovercraft.)

Oh, I also LOVED the "and I rented out my Murray Hill co-op"...yeah right, try that with a decent NYC co-op board.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 13:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
Um, "suburban living"? This author has never been to JC.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
this article pisses me off. Don't they know there's more to Downtown Jersey City than just Crystal Point?

Why get upset? It's the real estate section of the times which is basically puffery from pr hacks submitted to their staff who are part of selling the sos that brought the real estate bubble.

Enjoy the cotton candy.

Posted on: 2010/6/19 21:33
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
this article pisses me off. Don't they know there's more to Downtown Jersey City than just Crystal Point?

Posted on: 2010/6/19 21:05

New York Times Today - Manhattan Was the Dream; Jersey City Fit the Budget
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/realestate/20hunt.html

Manhattan Was the Dream; Jersey City Fit the Budget

....bought it in mid-March for a little more than $1.1 million; the common charge is just over $900 a month.

One of the bedrooms has northern light, and she uses it for a studio. The place came with a parking spot.

?I don?t feel that I am outside of Manhattan,? she said. The PATH train whizzes her in and out: ?I can get to places faster than I could from Murray Hill.? And she can do chores with the car, the part of suburban living that she liked best. In the city, ?there?s no place to park,? she said. ?I couldn?t buy anything because how am I getting it home??

As for Mr. Rivellino, he rented out his co-op and bought a two-bedroom at Crystal Point for about $750,000 with a common charge in the mid-$800s.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/realestate/20hunt.html

Posted on: 2010/6/19 19:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017