Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Metro NY article on Jersey City Today
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I imagine a lot of those $280 trampolines and $19.99(!) gazebos will be occupying backyards in the Heights for years.

Well you will not get a comment from me....but the gazebo does go well with my..err I mean the $19.99 ?Intex 103" x 69" Inflatable Family Pool 56483E?

Description:

Cool off this summer in the Swim Center? inflatable family pool from Intex?. It measures 103" x 69" with a 22" depth, and both air chambers are designed with a double-valve intake and a free-flow exhaust valve. Inflation is quick and easy, and the package includes a repair patch.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
NOT SO FAST!!!!

You hipsters can keep your downtown bike shops, second hand stores, and hmmm... wait give me a minute...err... never mind.

I will tell you this DO NOT come over to RT 440 when the National Wholesale Liquidators reopens in a few weeks. I heard the new owners are putting up a ?no hipsters? sign at the front door. Don?t try sneaking in , those cases of expired Irish Spring soap and that ?Fancy Jessica Simpson Women Perfume? are not for you ..hands off!. You f?ers try and claim everything in JC as yours! Bad enough you are taking over LSP.

Eat your hearts out DTJC and just think it is right next to the second best store in JC the local K-Mart! (gotta love the Big-K Caf?.. best breakfast in JC by far)

www.nationalwholesaleliquidators.com

PS ? I will never divulge the number one store in JC I don?t want it taken over by hipsters!

I imagine a lot of those $280 trampolines and $19.99(!) gazebos will be occupying backyards in the Heights for years.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
NOT SO FAST!!!!

You hipsters can keep your downtown bike shops, second hand stores, and hmmm... wait give me a minute...err... never mind.

I will tell you this DO NOT come over to RT 440 when the National Wholesale Liquidators reopens in a few weeks. I heard the new owners are putting up a ?no hipsters? sign at the front door. Don?t try sneaking in , those cases of expired Irish Spring soap and that ?Fancy Jessica Simpson Women Perfume? are not for you ..hands off!. You f?ers try and claim everything in JC as yours! Bad enough you are taking over LSP.

Eat your hearts out DTJC and just think it is right next to the second best store in JC the local K-Mart! (gotta love the Big-K Caf?.. best breakfast in JC by far)

www.nationalwholesaleliquidators.com

PS ? I will never divulge the number one store in JC no amount of your latte-boarding will get it out of me. Don't waste your time! I don?t want it taken over by hipsters!

Posted on: 2010/6/17 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Well, if the other wards would elect better Council people who were ethical, had real plans, and actually tried to make them realities, then perhaps they would see some positive changes in their hoods??

Also, if they would stop voting for ineffective, politically corrupt mayors - that would help too.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Well, if it makes people feel better, I live downtown and I never shop there. Or in Hamilton Park for that matter. Though I do patronize Basic and Cosi.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

retep1968 wrote:
I'm wondering why there is so much negativity and name calling in these posts?

Keyboard tuff guys

Posted on: 2010/6/15 20:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm wondering why there is so much negativity and name calling in these posts?

Posted on: 2010/6/15 16:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
No one was arguing except whoever got personally offended that no one wants to haul their ass over to Greenville or the heights to go shopping at their tile store and Radioshack. Evidently if everyone leaves their own neighborhood to go shopping downtown, the downtown residents are supposed to compensate by going shopping in Greenville. This seems like the logical conclusion to only the people who live in Not Downtown. Then again these are the same people complaining on a DowntownJC forum about everyone on the thread only shopping downtown.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Reading this thread reminds me of John Travolta's line near the end of Saturday Night Fever, when he's asking the dancer he's in love with why she want's to move to Manhattan.
I can only paraphrase it, but its something like "why would you want to go to Manhattan? We've got everything you'd want right her in Brooklyn."
Its all relative.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Brownstone is nothing to brag about. That place is an embarrassment to the state. Food stinks and so do the hours.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 4:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I've been eating FAKE fruits and vegetables this entire time??!!

You realize we have 2 retailers on Newark Ave that do the same thing right? Tender Shoots Farms and another one that I can't remember the name of. I go there all the time since the produce is cheaper than it is at the super market. And they are open year round.

Next?

1. I really enjoyed reading this.
2. Let me add that. DTJC has everything that every other part of JC boasts (and more). They have Lincoln Park, DT has the Waterfront, HP, VVP... We really high class amenities and also the JC essentials (shout out to CH Martin, Brownstone Diner, and the Salvation Army megastore). This is why its downtown. It has everything, and everyone wants a piece of us because we have everything JC has to offer.
3. On top of that, we cater to everyone. No one looks twice at the diversity that walks downtown. Are you Cuban or black, or whatever and walking down the Waterfront? No one cares. Meanwhile, I've gotten more than one raised eye brow walking down Kennedy.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 3:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been eating FAKE fruits and vegetables this entire time??!!

You realize we have 2 retailers on Newark Ave that do the same thing right? Tender Shoots Farms and another one that I can't remember the name of. I go there all the time since the produce is cheaper than it is at the super market. And they are open year round.

Next?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 6:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 18:47
Group:
Banned
To the poster who wrote:
"Considering there is already a thread going on how many farmer's markets downtown has this year there would be no reason for anyone to go to the heights for their farmer's market."

The Farmer's market on KENNEDY in the HEIGHTS is a real market...NOT some 1-day, fake, over-priced, boui-gey, outdoor Grove St. market.

REAL plants, REAL fruits and vegetables. OPEN 7 days a week.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Wait so where is this fabulous Downtown retail?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
What are you rambling about? I don't have abated taxes and neither do a lot of people I know who own downtown. Fact is not as many building have abatements as you would believe.
If there any shops worth going to elsewhere in JC I'll go to them. I've spent my money at places on 440. Where are all these shops in Greenville and the Heights that you keep mentioning. I've eaten at the Indian restaurants on Newark.

Give me a list of all the terrific places to shop and spend my money in Greenville.

So you've eaten on Newark Ave and you're still around to chat about it, congrats to ya. The Heights has plenty to offer.
Hudson Farmers Market
Stop & Shop
Rita's Ice
Podewitz Deli
Goherigs Italian Bakery
Andrea's Italian Deli
Christian Jewlers
Standard Tile
Rizzo's Bakery & Eatery
Renato's Restaurant
Gino's Pizza
Garden State News
Radio Shack...........And there's tons more to list plus most are family owned not some coorporate bimbos runnig the business from a computer in Tim Buk Tu

Seriously?! you consider Radioshack and a Stop n Shop notable assets to your area of residence?
Clearly the separation of consciousness is larger than we all thought.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 3:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Considering there is already a thread going on how many farmer's markets downtown has this year there would be no reason for anyone to go to the heights for their farmer's market.

Garden State News is just a mini-mart with magazines. How is this enticing??

Posted on: 2010/6/13 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
What are you rambling about? I don't have abated taxes and neither do a lot of people I know who own downtown. Fact is not as many building have abatements as you would believe.
If there any shops worth going to elsewhere in JC I'll go to them. I've spent my money at places on 440. Where are all these shops in Greenville and the Heights that you keep mentioning. I've eaten at the Indian restaurants on Newark.

Give me a list of all the terrific places to shop and spend my money in Greenville.

So you've eaten on Newark Ave and you're still around to chat about it, congrats to ya. The Heights has plenty to offer.
Hudson Farmers Market
Stop & Shop
Rita's Ice
Podewitz Deli
Goherigs Italian Bakery
Andrea's Italian Deli
Christian Jewlers
Standard Tile
Rizzo's Bakery & Eatery
Renato's Restaurant
Gino's Pizza
Garden State News
Radio Shack...........And there's tons more to list plus most are family owned not some coorporate bimbos runnig the business from a computer in Tim Buk Tu

I'm sure the Heights has lots to offer, but other than Rita's none of the things on your list is enough to entice me to leave my neighborhood. Now, Charritos was awesome but they closed down so now we just stick to Hoboken. And, it takes me longer to get to the Heights than it does to drive to Hoboken which is another road block.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:

Hudson Farmers Market
Stop & Shop
Rita's Ice
Podewitz Deli
Goherigs Italian Bakery
Andrea's Italian Deli
Christian Jewlers
Standard Tile
Rizzo's Bakery & Eatery
Renato's Restaurant
Gino's Pizza
Garden State News
Radio Shack

LOL. If the best you can come up with for retail is a jeweler and a tile store, you are better served not mentioning them.

The food angle works however. I went to 5 of May yesterday, that place is awesome (the ambience could use something, while there you can't help but notice a sense of despair and languidity).

Posted on: 2010/6/13 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:

Hudson Farmers Market
Stop & Shop
Rita's Ice
Podewitz Deli
Goherigs Italian Bakery
Andrea's Italian Deli
Christian Jewlers
Standard Tile
Rizzo's Bakery & Eatery
Renato's Restaurant
Gino's Pizza
Garden State News

Posted on: 2010/6/13 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:
"Greenville has too many hookers, drug dealers, gangs and low-lifes"

And the other sections of JC dont have same?

You are the delusional one...
'Gee I live in a gated, overpriced condo...There are NO criminals living here..nope! Now sir-ree!"

Just like Harlem is now the Yuppie dream-boat, Greenville will be one day in very near future.

You are too stupid and bigoted to figure that out.

This post doesn't even warrant an intelligent response...therefore...

Posted on: 2010/6/13 3:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why would someone who lives downtown go to Greenville to shop?

Shouldn't you be blaming the people in your neighborhood for shopping downtown as opposed to bitching at downtown people for not going out of their way to shop in Greenville???

I think there might be a lack of air flow in your mom's basement. You make absolutely no sense.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 23:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
"Greenville has too many hookers, drug dealers, gangs and low-lifes"

And the other sections of JC dont have same?

You are the delusional one...
'Gee I live in a gated, overpriced condo...There are NO criminals living here..nope! Now sir-ree!"

Just like Harlem is now the Yuppie dream-boat, Greenville will be one day in very near future.

You are too stupid and bigoted to figure that out.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:
Because, people wo live in GREENVILLE, McGINLEY Sq, HEIGHTS, etc. definitely DO go shopping in the Newport area.

The favor is NOT recipricated.

It's a false matrix-y elitist thought process that if you pay through the roof you're getting quality...when in fact, mostly you're been duped and sold a false feeling of superiority--with below standard workmanship, NOT old-world quality--OH--but with a rooftop pool..... and a tax abatement....THANKS CITY COUNCIL!

There ARE condos in McGinley, Heights, Greenville, but you'd never know that from the elitists posting here.

(One poster even suggested the crime is higher in Greenville) Are we talking white collar? I bet NOT.

So have fun staying in debt in your false concrete and fern condos--paying $350,000 STARTING!

Hahahahahah!

We in other areas have 3x's your space and 1/3 your cost!

Greenville will be the NEW Hoboken in about 10 years.....then all the elitists posting here will be gentrifying Greenville.

And to the other poster...YOU have your drab style of writing--I have MINE.

Have fun in your $350,000 box!

Greenville has too many hookers, drug dealers, gangs and low-lifes to ever become another hoboken.

You are probably the most delusional poster on this site

Posted on: 2010/6/12 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville will be the next Hoboken in 10 yrs? Sorry but I doubt it. If Greenville didn't improve during the last economic upswing, do you really think it's going to improve now?

And does Greenville have a Target, BBB, Newport Mall, etc? No, it doesn't. So why the hell would anyone but locals shop there? When I lived in Brooklyn, did I lament that people from Manhattan didn't shop at our stores? No, because why would they travel all that way when they have better amenities in their neighborhood? You absolutely make no sense. Not sure why you have a chip on your shoulder, but it's a nonsensical one at best.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Greenville will be the NEW Hoboken in about 10 years....

Will they have a Whole Foods?

Posted on: 2010/6/12 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:

Greenville will be the NEW Hoboken in about 10 years.....

Be careful what you wish for.....

Posted on: 2010/6/12 2:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Because, people wo live in GREENVILLE, McGINLEY Sq, HEIGHTS, etc. definitely DO go shopping in the Newport area.

It's a false matrix-y elitist thought process that if you pay through the roof you're getting quality...when in fact, mostly you're been duped and sold a false feeling of superiority--with below standard workmanship, NOT old-world quality--OH--but with a rooftop pool..... and a tax abatement....THANKS CITY COUNCIL!

There ARE condos in McGinley, Heights, Greenville, but you'd never know that from the elitists posting here.

(One poster even suggested the crime is higher in Greenville) Are we talking white collar? I bet NOT.

So have fun staying in debt in your false concrete and fern condos--paying $350,000 STARTING!

Hahahahahah!

Greenville will be the NEW Hoboken in about 10 years.....then all the elitists posting here will be gentrifying Greenville.

I'm so confused by you. Every city has a downtown. People from all parts of a city go to that downtown. Hence why its called "downtown". It's a really simple concept. People don't leave those downtowns because that is where all the amenities are. It's a simple matter of connivence. People in Jamaica Plain go to Parks Street, not vice versa. People in the Bronx go to Union Square; not vice versa. This account duplicates itself over and over.

You also don't understand the PILOT program. How can you be mad at a program constructed by your elected government? They took those PILOTS which are essentially tax payments, and mismanaged them. How do you take that anger and misdirect it at people who aren't responsible for the program.

That said, most of non-downtown JC hasn't seen a property value evaluation since the 80s. Hence people are paying taxes or PILOTS on 300,000 dollar houses valued at 300,000 while many people up the hill are paying property taxes on 300,000 dollar houses assessed for 50,000.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yes, but you also live in Greenville.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't hold my breath on Greenville being the next Hoboken, especially with all the haters trying to throw DT under the bus. You guys don't get it, it's like all the people who whine about missing the old NYC. Old NYC that they hold so dear was a sh*thole of crime, murder and prostitution. Not to mention all kinds of quality of life crimes. Gotta just let it go.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Hahahahahah!

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:35

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017