Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Metro NY article on Jersey City Today
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:
Abated taxes for them.
NO school taxes paid.

WORK in NYC mostly. So, much of what they spend goes to NYC.
When do THEY shop in Journal Square?
When do they go to the heights to shop?
When do they travel to GREENVILLE to shop?

Just curious...!

The famalies / homeowners / renters in other areas of JC pay the most of tax burden.

What are you talking about? I live in downtown JC and I shop in JC. Why would I do any shopping in JSQ or Heights or Greenville? I should just go out of my way and inconvenience myself? Who would do that?

And I can tell you that I go to the Newport mall to go shopping. I grocery shop in JC, I go to Target, Home Depot, Buy Rite, and countless restaurants, all in JC. I can't even remember the last time I went out to eat or bought clothes in NYC. Yes, the majority of places I go to are in downtown, but that's where I live and why is that so bad?

Nuts.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
My command of the language is greater than yours. If you cannot understand what was in my clearly-written, caps-free post, that is your weakness, not mine.

Typical anarchist-wannabe, trying to put words in other mouths.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 21:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 18:47
Group:
Banned
Typical Repub-licrat.
Always missquoting or not understanding the question..

I said "ARE YOU saying...", you see NOW you respond by saying NO..Im NOT saying that...or YES, I AM saying that.

It's quite simple, the English language!

Posted on: 2010/6/11 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:
Are you saying that Greenville residents dont deserve firemen responding?

Are you saying Greenville residents don't pay taxes?
Do YOU know Greenville is bigger and has more residents?

I do not know why you think I said things that I didn't.

I do know that Greenville is big and there are many people who live there, but this does not mean they pay more in taxes as a whole than does the downtown area. In fact, my strong hunch is that they do not.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
...the city is shedding its unflattering reputation and becoming more of a bona fide sixth borough with a thriving arts scene, bars, and a large supply of affordable luxury apartments connected to the city by ferries and the PATH train.

Article is broker-drivel. Nothing more.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 18:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Are you saying that Greenville residents dont deserve firemen responding?

Are you saying Greenville residents don't pay taxes?
Do YOU know Greenville is bigger and has more residents?

Posted on: 2010/6/11 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Abatements don't help schools, for sure. But abatements are not reductions in taxes and the PILOTs go directly to the city, so it isn't totally accurate to say that downtowners in abated properties aren't sharing the burden properly. We're paying just as much for the cops and firemen, even though it seems that places such as Greenville utilize their services more.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
And if it matters I think the Bayfront would be a great addition to Jersey City. People downtown want to see the rest of the city blossom.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What are you rambling about? I don't have abated taxes and neither do a lot of people I know who own downtown. Fact is not as many building have abatements as you would believe.

I work in NYC and I shop in Downtown where I live. I spend the vast majority on my money in JC. You are painting broad generalizations about people that live downtown and work in the city. Where are we supposed to work? Last I checked a lot of people that live in Journal Square work in NYC too.

If there any shops worth going to elsewhere in JC I'll go to them. I've spent my money at places on 440. Where are all these shops in Greenville and the Heights that you keep mentioning. I've eaten at the Indian restaurants on Newark.

Give me a list of all the terrific places to shop and spend my money in Greenville.

You're barking up the wrong tree my friend. I just don't see what you are mad about. What exactly do you propose? Want changed? Let it go.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 17:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Abated taxes for them.
NO school taxes paid.

WORK in NYC mostly. So, much of what they spend goes to NYC.
When do THEY shop in Journal Square?
When do they go to the heights to shop?
When do they travel to GREENVILLE to shop?

Just curious...!

The famalies / homeowners / renters in other areas of JC pay the most of tax burden.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hero69 wrote:

I would go to route 440 more often if the light rail went all the way to the Route 440. Why the hell does it end at West Side Avenue. I guess the planners were not the brightest bunch.

Funny you should mention about the LR not going down to route 440. There was a terminal on rt 440 in the original plans. The LR was going to extend down Culver Ave. using the old RR tracks that were already there. (you can probably still find the plans on the net) It was then going to run along rt 440 for a bit to a big Park and Ride lot at the old Roosevelt Drive Inn site. Next to Society Hill.

Those plans fell apart, I swear they did it to get people to buy all of the SH condo?s. They also promised to rebuild the old Roosevelt Marina at the time. Hmmm.

Plans for a rt 440 Light Rail are on back on the table. The soil at old Roosevelt Drive Inn site is being cleaned up and a new development (mini city) is in the works.

I have posted this before it is called Bay Front www.bayfrontjerseycity.com.

Check out the pictures see how the light rail will go right down rt 440. Nice.

(this project will be built...but as far as those windmills in Newark Bay I think that is pushing it a bit) (windmills in JC ain't that something!)

Posted on: 2010/6/11 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:
But they don't SPEND much in Jersey City.

Do you thing all those in the Newport Condos go to Greenville, Heights, McGinley Square, Journal Square to shop? Think they go to NEWPORT MALL?

Or, do you think they WORK in NYC....party and buy mostly EVERYTHING in NYC...then come home and maybe drink in some fake waterfront theme "restaurant"?

Yes they do. You got to relax and get that chip off your shoulder.

The fact that they live in JC and pay JC and state taxes benefit those in other sections of town.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I would go to route 440 more often if the light rail went all the way to the Route 440. Why the hell does it end at West Side Avenue. I guess the planners were not the brightest bunch.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityPower wrote:

Do you thing all those in the Newport Condos go to Greenville, Heights, McGinley Square, Journal Square to shop? Think they go to NEWPORT MALL?

Or, do you think they WORK in NYC....party and buy mostly EVERYTHING in NYC...then come home and maybe drink in some fake waterfront theme "restaurant"?

I guarantee you they shop in Jersey City. You can see them with their carts always going to Target, Shoprite, etc. Also, why would they shop in the areas you mentioned. You can only own so many 99 cent items.

I work in NY but I even venture to 440 to support certain stores.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/6/11 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Baby steps people, baby steps. It's hard enough to get NY'rs to cross this side of the Hudson.

If the goal is to attract NY'rs to move to JC, you need to start with something that they are familiar with. They are trying to show NY'rs that you can get luxury and amenties for much cheaper than you can in the city. They are trying to increase the profile of downtown as a "neighborhood" such as those that exist in Brooklyn. They are playing up the hip factor. When they write articles about Brooklyn they don't talk about the whole borough, they talk about specific neighborhoods.

Once you get these people to cross the Hudson some will venture further into JC and settle down. It takes time and with all due respect more people downtown with higher incomes means more revenue for the city and all those in the Heights, JS, Greenville, etc...

Posted on: 2010/6/11 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe if there wasn't so MUCH CRIME in Greenville, Bergen-Lafayette, etc. then people would mind moving to these areas and developers would be busy building there.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 14:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Not 'left out'. Just noting the exclusion.

The initial post says the METRO had an article on 'JERSEY CITY'. So, in the minds of many posters here Grove and Newport IS Jersey City.

And either this board IS ONLY about 'DOWNTOWN' and carries ONLY 'DOWNTOWN' posts ....or it's not.

However it does decide to cover all areas many times.

Greenville......always forgotten, ignored, etc.
THAT is really where TAX-ABATEMENTS should be used for "condos' with luxury pools -- NOT in the Fulop-esque tax-abted luxury condos of the Financial waterfront -- where developers WANT to develop.

Abatements ahould be used to develop underdeveloped areas.

But whatever,.... enjoy your articles about overpriced condos to warehouse those from OUT OF TOWN.

The article wasn't about JERSEY CITY..it was about selling overpriced condos in 1 SECTION of Jersey City.

Oh...and remember to keep looking up for 'port-a-potties' falling from the sky!

Posted on: 2010/6/11 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
What I still don't get with these people in the boonies is that the message board is called downtown jc list. Take your defensive viewpoints to your own board.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Really want to play this game?

Posted on: 2010/6/11 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder why the Metro NY piece left out these gems about the crime in Disney W...err I mean Downtown JC?

Downtown: Man stabbed and robbed on First and Brunswick going to bar

Man stabbed ?uncooperative?

A 33-year-old Jersey City man, who was ?extremely uncooperative? with cops, told police he was stabbed on his way to a bar early yesterday.

The man, who had multiple stab wounds, told police at the Jersey City Medical Center that he was on his way to a bar at First and Brunswick streets about 1:00 am when a stranger stabbed him and robbed his wallet, reports said. However he refused to provide further details to the police.

The man was treated for several superficial stab wounds to his chest and, arms and back.

Paulus Hook: Body of teen shot on waterfront is recovered from water -- "It could be gang-related."

TEEN SHOT, THEN DROWNS IN RIVER

Monday, June 07, 2010
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A 17-year-old Jersey City boy who was shot in the stomach along the Jersey City waterfront just after midnight Friday jumped into the Hudson River and then drowned, officials said yesterday.

Jermaine Williams, 17, was shot at least once in the abdomen during a possible gang-related confrontation that took place between 70 and 90 Hudson Sts., Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Joshua Robinson, 30, of Park Street in Jersey City, has been charged with the murder. He was arrested at the scene by off-duty Jersey City police officer Johnny Mack, officials said.

Responding to a fight and the sound of gunfire, Mack drew his service weapon and ordered Robinson and another man to drop their weapons, but they ran off, officials said. Mack chased down and held Robinson, but the other man got away, police spokesman Stan H. Eason said.

DeFazio said that a bullet removed from the victim during an autopsy matched the semi-automatic gun in Robinson's possession. The bullet passed through the victim's abdomen and lodged in his back, DeFazio said.

The autopsy determined that Williams' cause of death was drowning and being shot and the manner of death was homicide, DeFazio said. Authorities have not offered a theory why Williams jumped into the river.

Approximately 10 shots were fired from two different weapons and the second shooter escaped, DeDazio said.

Bail was set for Robinson at $1 million.

Jersey City police divers recovered the teen's body from the water in the area of Sussex Street shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday, Eason said.

According to the state Department of Corrections Web site, Robinson served from Sept. 17, 2004 to Feb. 22, 2007 in state prison for unlawful possession of a handgun and aggravated assault.

On May 23, 2009, Shawn Huff, 19, of Montgomery Street in Jersey City, was shot six times in front of 90 Hudson at 2 a.m. and died from his injuries.

Terrell Sandifer, 23, of Bayview Avenue in Jersey City, was arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit murder, but he was not believed to have been the shooter, authorities said at the time. The investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information about either case should call the Prosecutor's Office homicide squad at (201) 915-1345.

Downtown: Man argues with stranger, who knocks him cold

Man argues with stranger, who knocks him cold

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Jersey City police responding to a street fight Sunday night on Wayne Street near Barrow Street found a man lying on the ground unconscious, officials said.
While waiting for the ambulance, the 54-year-old came to and told officers that around 11 p.m. he got into an argument with a man he did not know and the man punched him in the left eye, knocking him out, reports said.

The incident was caught on security video by a camera belonging to a resident in the area and police watched the video, reports said.

The victim, who suffered visible swelling and a cut above his eye, was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center for treatment.Nothing was stolen from the victim.

Downtown: A Virginia man was robbed of $23,000 in belongings in Jersey City

A Virginia man was robbed of $23,000 in belongings in Jersey City

By The Jersey Journal
April 20, 2010, 8:30AM

A Virginia man lost over $23,000 in belongings Sunday afternoon his Mercedes Benz SUV was broken into and cleaned it out, reports said.

The vehicle was parked at 350 Warren St. at 2 p.m. and when he returned at 4p.m., the front passenger window was broken and a set of diamond earrings and a diamond bracelet each worth $5,500, $3,000 worth of computer equipment, a $2,800 woman's Rolex watch, and two sets of golf clubs worth a total of $1,700 were missing, the victim told officers.

DOWNTOWN: Backpack full of electronics snatched from woman in Jersey City

Backpack full of electronics snatched from woman in Jersey City

By Patrick Villanova/The Jersey Journal
April 17, 2010, 8:00AM

A man made off with a backpack full of electronics after robbing a Jersey City woman who was walking home late Thursday night, police said.

The man approached the woman from behind at the corner of Monmouth and Bright streets at 11:35 p.m. and told her to let go of her backpack, reports said.

When woman complied, the man ran off in an unknown direction with the bag, which contained $3,550 worth of electronic equipment. The woman did not turn around, but instead continued walking out of the area to notify police, reports said.

The woman said she had been wearing headphones at the time and was unable to hear the man approaching her, police said

Downtown: Police say Jersey City man flees after gunman pulls trigger, but gun doesn't fire

Police say Jersey City man flees after gunman pulls trigger, but gun doesn't fire

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

February 19, 2010, 7:00AM

A Downtown Jersey City man is lucky to be alive after a man pointed a gun at his chest Tuesday night and pulled the trigger, but it did not fire, officials said.

The 21-year-old Varick Street resident was walking home from a grocery store at 8:17 p.m. and was at Varick and Christopher Columbus Drive when the gunman and another man hiding between parked cars ran toward him, reports said.

The gunman pointed a black handgun with a long barrel at the man's chest, mumbled something unintelligible, and pulled the trigger, reports said. When the victim heard a clicking sound and realized the gun had not fired, he turned and ran, reports said.

The gunman is described as being 18 to 20 years old and wearing blue jeans and a black jacket with an orange lining and fir trim around the hood, reports said. The second man was wearing either a red hat or red shirt, reports said.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Downtown: Violent Home Invasion - Coles & Monmouth

Terrifying home invasion reported in Downtown Jersey City
by Charles Hack
Sunday February 03, 2008, 8:52 PM

A mother and two kids woke up to a terrifying ordeal after intruders kicked in the front door of their Downtown home, punched the woman in the face and ransacked the apartment, Jersey City police told The Jersey Journal today.

Police were called to the home at 10th and Monmouth streets on the report of a home invasion at 11:10 p.m. Thursday, reports said. The 38-year-old resident told officers that she and her two children, of unspecified age, were awakened by two men in the bedroom where they slept, police said.

After saying "Where's the money? Give me all your money," one the intruders ordered the mother to put her head under the covers. When she tried to get out of bed, one of the men punched her twice in the face, she told police.

They then rifled through several drawers until the woman told them she'd give them money from her purse if they'd leave. They then followed her into the kitchen, where she tried to take some money out of her wallet, but they grabbed her purse and fled. They also stole a flat screen computer monitor from her daughter's room, police said.

They then drove off in a black sport utility vehicle, reports said.

Anyone with information about the robbery and burglary can call the confidential line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/11 12:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Huhm, DT NWPT section should be renamed DT little asia if you ask me.

JC is so much more than this section and yes, residents of JC have all the rights in the world to feel left out when an exclusionary article like this one in Metro is written.

I welcome the developement of DT section, but its a slap in the face to everyone else who resides and pays taxes in this town.

Hopefully developement spreads throughout the entire city down the line.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I really wish this wasn't written.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
It's an article specifically about Downtown. Kinda like if they wrote a piece only on LES or SOHO or any other specific geographic area that didn't include the neighboring geographic area. I'm sure there are articles only about the heights or other specific areas of JC that are not DT.
It's funny that you feel so left out though.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 11:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
WTF?

Downtown this...Condo that.....!

Jersey City includes all areas -- NOT just Grove and Newport.

Perhaps this was a 'puff' piece to sell tax-abated condos in the corporate and 'hip' areas of JC?

Why no mention of properties near or IN Greenville, Heights, etc?

This is like doing an article on NYC and write ONLY about the Upper East Side.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great thanks.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.metro.us/us/article/2010/06/09/07/3715-82/index.xml

Why you?ll want to live in Jersey City

Downtown Jersey City has transformed over the past decade. Fueled by much of Wall Street?s back-office operations migration west across the river ? such as Goldman Sachs, which built the tallest building in the state in 2004 ? the city is shedding its unflattering reputation and becoming more of a bona fide sixth borough with a thriving arts scene, bars, and a large supply of affordable luxury apartments connected to the city by ferries and the PATH train.

New development

Jersey City has its fair share of stalled projects, like the high-profile Rem Koolhaas 52-story tower near the historic powerhouse, as well as the second tower at Trump Jersey City. Despite the slowdown, the rental market has been particularly strong, and developers have pressed ahead on many projects unlike other areas in the state. A ceremony for The Monaco ? two 50-story rental towers on the corner of Washington and Sixth streets ? was celebrated in May. The development is filling a large gap in Jersey City?s skyline between Newport and Exchange Place. These buildings will feature over 500 units, a parking garage, outdoor heated pool, and amazing city views. Leasing is set to start at the end of the year. Another super-premium 15-story rental, 225 Grand, opened its doors less than a month ago, and has already inked 49 leases with a total of 348 residences. Amenities include a parking garage, rooftop pool and fitness center, right next to the Marin Boulevard light rail station. Prices for studios start at $1,564, and two-bedrooms at $2,363.

Renter?s market

Condo sales are starting to make a comeback, according to Jacqueline Urgo of The Marketing Directors Inc., who has sold 25 units at Crystal Point since April 1. But for those looking to dip their toes in, downtown Jersey City is full of options for renters, and offers more space and better amenities than Manhattan or Brooklyn. Most of the waterfront buildings, like 70 Greene, Avalon Cove and Marbella, feature pools, garages, doormen and gyms. Rents at Avalon range from $1,895 for a one-bedroom to $3,850 for a four-bedroom. Jersey City also boasts one of the few places in the metro region where you can rent on a pier. The Pier House, Harborside Plaza 1, stretches out into the Hudson with amazing views. Rents start at $2,260 for a 740-square-foot one-bedroom.

More lively nightlife

New editions to Jersey City?s nightlife are raising the bar on the rather quiet scene that exists amongst the scattered watering holes around downtown. Zeppelin Hall, located within the Liberty Harbor community, is a new beer garden that opened last year and offers 144 beer selections. Another great addition is Teppan Bar & Grill, a Japanese hibachi restaurant and lounge that opened last month. It features interactive dining and a cool, two-story space with sleek interiors.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 0:15

Metro NY article on Jersey City Today
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently there was a good article about JC in the metro today. Unfortunately I didn't get the paper today. I looked online but can't seem to find it. Anyone know where to find it?

Posted on: 2010/6/10 23:54

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017