Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Walgreens wants to build pharmacy on VIP diner site, Jersey City Web site reports

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/28 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
While I have no fundamental objection to a private real estate transaction between willing parties, from a purely personal standpoint, I would consider this a net loss. I enjoy eating at the VIP, especially their cheesecake..... makes for a nice late night dining option when I don't feel like fixing my own dinner or the cupboard is bare and McDonalds just wont cut it. A Waldgreens would only duplicate goods and services provided in several places in easy and close proximity. I sure hope this is just a rumour or at best something that just doesn't pan out.

---diogenesNY

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:55

Re: Walgreens wants to build pharmacy on VIP diner site, Jersey City Web site reports
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
The planning board actually has no say in teanancy of a store. All they get to look at is the building and the use. So whether it's walgreens or joe's corner bodega or the Gap, that's beside the point. That's just a private real estate deal.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
I cant believe that the planning board is even considering this. I really like the VIP. Great coffee and dessert

They or even the city would consider anything.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

jerseyboy wrote:
how about something original that the city needs? a book store?

Downtown couldn't support a bookstore.
The Mall couldn't support a bookstore.
Hoboken can't support a bookstore.

Sad to say, but opening a bookstore there would be a bad business plan.

We do seem able to support a so-far unlimited number of Pharmacies. I don't know why.

In the old (days) gone by New Jersey was known for highways, (What exit?) diners, and malls. Now it is known for drug stores, banks, and nursing homes.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What doesn't really make much sense is that Walgreens just bought Duane Reade, which means the same company will own two stores within a few blocks of each other. Of course the Walgreens proposal was probably in the works before the buy out went through and two departments probably don't keep track of each other. But its a good bet that the older Duane Reade closes if they were to build a new store there.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
I say good riddance to this place. It's been a preferred meeting place of radical muslims for years. Although I'm sure the FBI has had the place bugged since 9/11. I do think a Quick Check would be a better choice for the area.

Evidence?

I have dined there frequently. Police officers on breaks frequent the VIP as do old timers in the neighborhood. The "radical meeting place" is a block away.

I do like the idea of a Wawa or Quick Check somewhere in vicinity.

I grew up 1 block from where Ramzi Youseff (93 WTC bomber) lived and knew him by face. Would see them up there at 4:00 each morning as I was getting my breakfast. Would then see all of them pile into the Mosque that Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman ran as I was walking up to the Path station. Trust me, they've been meeting there for many years.

I hear you dmark, but closing the VIP because Youseff ate there each morning doesn't make sense. I am sure that the quiet person reading the paper and drinking his or her coffee at the counter is undercover.

I lived up JSQ during the first bombing and without mentioning the building, FBI agents knocked on all of the tenant's doors asking about a particular resident. Years later, the FBI still makes occasional visits to that building. A friend of mine that still lives there after all these years keeps their cards in his wallet.

Yes, the mosque on the square has radical elements that frequently worship there. Several of the WTC bombers worshiped there and Rahman (may he rot in hell) preached there. That's the place that needs to be shut down.

Jersey City is a hotbed for these radical elements and closing the establishments that they frequent would pretty much shut down JSQ. Unless the owners of the VIP are complicit, there is no reason to shut the place down.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
I say good riddance to this place. It's been a preferred meeting place of radical muslims for years. Although I'm sure the FBI has had the place bugged since 9/11. I do think a Quick Check would be a better choice for the area.

Evidence?

I have dined there frequently. Police officers on breaks frequent the VIP as do old timers in the neighborhood. The "radical meeting place" is a block away.

I grew up 1 block from where Ramzi Youseff (93 WTC bomber) lived and knew him by face. Would see them up there at 4:00 each morning as I was getting my breakfast. Would then see all of them pile into the Mosque that Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman ran as I was walking up to the Path station. Trust me, they've been meeting there for many years.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
The B&N in Hoboken closed? When? Thought they'd renovated just a little while ago to include that cafe area.

Regarding what would be a good replacement for the VIP, I'd want either a) another diner b) some quality restaurant, that area could sure use one or c) one of the upper end fast food chains as mentioned above. Chipotle or Boston Market would be just fine with me.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 9:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:
chipotle?
qdoba?
wendys?
Boston Market?

really?

i suggested the Boston Market because there is no fast casual places in the area

i don't think we need more fast food, unfortunately there seems to be no demand for anything better

Posted on: 2010/6/6 23:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/6 17:21
Group:
Registered Users
The VIP is an anchor for this neighborhood. It's a place where you can go for breakfast, lunch, dinner, a cup of coffee, desert, seven days a week. I go there all the time to meet friends.
The last thing we need in this area is another drugstore. What we do need are more quality restaurants -- not less.

Moreover, if successful, I fear Walgreens could drive either or both of the Rite-Aids in the neighborhood out of business, and then we'd have one or two big empty storefronts.

Walgreens plans to put up one a one-story drugstore with parking in front and the building itself in back -- similar to the Walgreens at the corner of Kennedy and Communipaw.
To do so, it would require two variances from the Planning Board. That's because current zoning rules require that any new construction there be at least four stories high, with retail on the first floor, with the upper floors for residential and/or office space. In addition, parking woud have to be back.

The city planning division opposes the Walgreens plan. But the decision will be up to the Planning Board, whose members are appointed.

There will be a meeting this Thursday, June 10, at 6 pm in the Caucus Room on the second floor of City Hall, 280 Grove Street. I urge you to attend.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
chipotle?
qdoba?
wendys?
Boston Market?

really?

Posted on: 2010/6/6 16:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users
when did downtown have a bookstore?
I would hardly consider Dalton a real bookstore.
the BN in Hoboken did very well. It was a corporate decision to move- but not because they were not doing well. It was too small.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseyboy wrote:

Downtown couldn't support a bookstore.
The Mall couldn't support a bookstore.
Hoboken can't support a bookstore.

Sad to say, but opening a bookstore there would be a bad business plan.

We do seem able to support a so-far unlimited number of Pharmacies. I don't know why.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 13:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/6 11:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
it's not bad, it is just bland

Boston Market Chicken is my choice

Posted on: 2010/6/5 22:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/12 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
the vip is poor. but jsq definitely doesn't need another pharmacy.

i could go for a chipotle or qdoba or even a wendys, but who am i kidding?

Posted on: 2010/6/5 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
a new pharmacy is not necessary at all, but how about an actual good restaurant? will that ever be in the cards for jsq?

Posted on: 2010/6/5 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I cant believe that the planning board is even considering this. I really like the VIP. Great coffee and dessert

Posted on: 2010/6/5 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:

Evidence?

Posted on: 2010/6/5 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/5 15:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Duane Reade is right there too. There are definitely more necessary things to put there, like a diner that's less mediocre.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Unbelievable!

Rite Aid and CVS are within a 4 block radius of the VIP.

That the Planning Division would spend a moment of their time on this proposal concerns me. Walgreens has deep pockets.

I hope that the VIP doesn't go the way of Tippy's, Rands, and Jules.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
BOOO!!!!

That sucks! I love the VIP diner. It should be landmarked!!

Posted on: 2010/6/5 13:23

Walgreens wants to build pharmacy on VIP diner site, Jersey City Web site reports
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Walgreens wants to build pharmacy on VIP diner site, Jersey City Web site reports

By The Jersey Journal
June 04, 2010, 4:00PM

Resized Image
Actors Julianna Marguiles and Michael Imperioli rehearse a scene for the television show "The Sopranos" at the VIP Diner on Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City in 2006.
Is the VIP diner about to become history?

The Jersey City Independent Web site is reporting that the city Planning Division has received a plan that calls for knocking down the 36-year-old eatery and constructing a 10,000-square-foot Walgreens pharmacy on the Sip Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard site.

It is reported that the proposal has some hurdles to clear before it would get Division of Planning approval. A lobbyist said his firm has been hired to advocate the plan for Walgreens and the VIP owner and manager has not commented on a possible sale of the property.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 13:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017